PS5 Preorders Won't Be a Surprise, Sony Says

Aranea Highwind

Speaking to Geoff Keighley after a brief showcase of the PS5's DualSense controller, Worldwide Head of Marketing Eric Lempel said "I think it's safe to say...we'll let you know when preorder will happen. It's not going to happen with a minute's notice. We're going to at some point let you know when you can preorder PlayStation 5. So, please, don't feel like you have to go run out and line up anywhere until you receive official notice on how that will work."

https://www.ign.com/articles/ps5-preorders-wont-be-a-surprise-sony-says

• Like 1

a solid plan if I've ever seen one. Sony knows there's demand, and with them bumping up the supply for the first year forcing people to fight over surprise pre-orders would be counter-intuitive.

5 minutes ago, Bizurke2003 said:

I appreciate this. I didn't want to have to check my phone periodically everyday to not miss when the preorders go up.

You're still going to have to deal with scalpers if retailers don't limit the order per customer.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Bizurke2003 said:

I appreciate this. I didn't want to have to check my phone periodically everyday to not miss when the preorders go up.

Even if they gave you a week's notice on preorders you would need to stalk websites on the day/hour/minute those stores actually turn on their orders. 

Then there's going to into actual stores and waiting in line and hoping they have enough consoles on reserve for you to get in a pre-order.

On 17.7.2020 at 7:18 PM, LoveInHell said:

I wonder why you can preorder in some countries but in others you can’t?

Cause over here in Belgium you could already pre-order since 2019 and you can also already pre-order in the Netherlands.

and how much is the pre order price?

In germany for example a preorder is the same as a real buying contract and you can not buy somrthing without having a price beforehand. allowing to preorder something without a pricetag next to it is deception.

if this is different in other countries, that will be the answer.

2 hours ago, AiManiaTrophyhunting said:

and how much is the pre order price?

In germany for example a preorder is the same as a real buying contract and you can not buy somrthing without having a price beforehand. allowing to preorder something without a pricetag next to it is deception.

if this is different in other countries, that will be the answer.

You’d pay €50 beforehand without knowing the full price yet. They put you on a list and as soon as they have information on disc/discless they contact us to ask which exact console we want. You can also pre-order PS5 games but idk how much the price to pay beforehand is for that. You can also cancel at any time and get your money back even a day before release, its not a problem.

On 27.7.2020 at 0:06 AM, LoveInHell said:

You’d pay €50 beforehand without knowing the full price yet. They put you on a list and as soon as they have information on disc/discless they contact us to ask which exact console we want. You can also pre-order PS5 games but idk how much the price to pay beforehand is for that. You can also cancel at any time and get your money back even a day before release, its not a problem.

might be not a problem (I would totally do that, we all have an idea what the price will be), but thats illegal in germany :)

And I guess there are other countries with similar laws.

• Like 1