The Coliseum completion

willy_sunjaya

Did difficulty affect the coliseum ? I tried to do the deathmatch 100 with Akiyama in Legend, but it was nigh impossible. I reached the last wave, but the enemy is to tough. If that's not enough, they started grabbed leftover weapon and ganging up on me. I don't think it's possible to complete this on Legend, so I'm starting to think to start over at Easy and complete the coliseum there if the difficulty affect it.

I'm pretty sure it does. Honestly, I would only recommend starting a new playthrough if you haven't touched your completion list much because, if you did, then you'd have to do everything all over again.

As for Akiyama, he's definitely the toughest character when it comes to the coliseum. The best way to deal with crowds as him (this obviously applies to everyone else) would be to knock everyone but one person down, focus all of your firepower on that one dude standing, then rinse and repeat. And don't forget about his heat action that knocks down 3 enemies at once; that one will be very useful. For singular enemies, make sure you abuse his Launch Strike launcher (get the skill that makes it unblockable beforehand) and his grabs. Generally, if you get an enemy to the ground, you can just stunlock them to death with the launcher while they're grounded (hold L2 to avoid doing a heat action instead).

EDIT : I see you're not done with your Legend playthrough yet. I think it would be wise to just finish it, then go into NG+ on easy from there. That way, you'll be able to carry over everything you did, except the substories which you'll have to do again.

Edited by gerboize
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, gerboize said:

I'm pretty sure it does. Honestly, I would only recommend starting a new playthrough if you haven't touched your completion list much because, if you did, then you'd have to do everything all over again.

As for Akiyama, he's definitely the toughest character when it comes to the coliseum. The best way to deal with crowds as him (this obviously applies to everyone else) would be to knock everyone but one person down, focus all of your firepower on that one dude standing, then rinse and repeat. And don't forget about his heat action that knocks down 3 enemies at once; that one will be very useful. For singular enemies, make sure you abuse his Launch Strike launcher (get the skill that makes it unblockable beforehand) and his grabs. Generally, if you get an enemy to the ground, you can just stunlock them to death with the launcher while they're grounded (hold L2 to avoid doing a heat action instead).

EDIT : I see you're not done with your Legend playthrough yet. I think it would be wise to just finish it, then go into NG+ on easy from there. That way, you'll be able to carry over everything you did, except the substories which you'll have to do again.

I tried again today and managed to hold until 3 last guy. I feel like I can do it, but on the other hand, I'm already sick of doing this over and over again. Glad to know that the difficulty affect the coliseum too. Gonna use that as last resort when I can't take it anymore. lol.

Thank you for your answer. Really appreciate it. 

On 28/07/2020 at 10:20 AM, FearElemental said:

You’re trying to do the coliseum on Legend? 1f635.pngThat’s hardcore! I honestly would do it on NG+ on easy like suggested.

haha. I usually finish all of the side content on my Legend playthrough. I just didn't expect there's something like vs 100 match in the coliseum. If it's normal coliseum (without the vs 100 and the berserk one), it's possible to do it on Legend. It's just impossible with those two challenges with Akiyama. 

• 3 months later...
9 hours ago, sepheroithisgod said:

Is there an optimal match to spam to raise your rank quickly?

Either the one with destructible walls ( which is the fastest, but i found it risky with certain enemies) or the one where bombs drop on the ring ( my personal pick, since the damage output from explosions is remarkable. Plus, A.I is dumb and it's very common that they pick up a bomb even if it's exploding). Just remember to select the stages until you find a high-ranked opponent at the start.

Or you could decide to face three high-ranked opponents in the Ranked Match GP, althrough i'd suggest you to do it with only Kiryu or Saejima and spam their Tiger Drops, and do the two matches from before with Akiyama and Shinada, since they are weaker.

Edited by Capukkion23

10 hours ago, sepheroithisgod said:

Is there an optimal match to spam to raise your rank quickly?

My go to was the match with the destructible walls. Each match took a mere few seconds. 

1) as soon as the match starts bash the wall next to you with 3 or 4 square hits, don't remember the exact amount it needs to break. 

2) Just grab the enemy with circle and toss them to the direction of the crevice. Works for all enemies including the number 1 guy. 

Good luck

Edited by PooPooBlast
  • Like 1

I found a method online that I used to farm ranks. I selected the Bomber GP and exited until Sotaro Komaki was the opponent. He only has 2 life bars and is very weak to explosions. I ran around the arena and he picked up the bombs. If you keep running he'll keep them in hand until they explode and if he's near over bombs the match will end up way faster.

Essence of Komaki BBQ.

• Like 3

• 3 months later...
On 11/14/2020 at 5:23 AM, Clarink said:

I found a method online that I used to farm ranks. I selected the Bomber GP and exited until Sotaro Komaki was the opponent. He only has 2 life bars and is very weak to explosions. I ran around the arena and he picked up the bombs. If you keep running he'll keep them in hand until they explode and if he's near over bombs the match will end up way faster.

Essence of Komaki BBQ.

Thanks a bunch for this, it helped me cheese my way through Shinata’s section. ??

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 4/14/2021 at 1:56 PM, thefourfoldroot said:

Is there a definite answer to this? Thinking of just finishing the game, then finishing a new game on legendary, then popping back into an old save to finish the coliseum on easy. It’s the only tricky bit of the 100% I have left.

Difficulty affects all areas of the game. Enemies strength, player weakens. 

I think but do not know definitively that the game will drop you to Easy only in a fight, e.g. Boss, Amons, etc. to ensure you "pass" to the next section. It will then revert to the previous difficulty. In short, you cannot switch it just for the Coliseum.

NG/NG+ is the only place you can permanently change difficulty. 

On 16/04/2021 at 1:40 AM, Wagszilla said:

Difficulty affects all areas of the game. Enemies strength, player weakens. 

I think but do not know definitively that the game will drop you to Easy only in a fight, e.g. Boss, Amons, etc. to ensure you "pass" to the next section. It will then revert to the previous difficulty. In short, you cannot switch it just for the Coliseum.

NG/NG+ is the only place you can permanently change difficulty. 

Yes, I found this. Kept a premium adventure save at 99%+ and just have to finish the colosseum with it. Finished the story, did the ultimate matches (by far the easiest of the whole series so far) and started legendary playthrough, just to break up the coliseum annoyance. Think I’ll have more motivation once it’s the only thing left to get the plat. Shame I can’t drop the difficulty but I’m sure I can do it with more patience. Wasn’t aware the game drops it only for failure as it’s not exactly a difficult game where I came near to failure until this bloody coliseum with shit fighters.

edit: turned out it wasn’t that hard, once I learned the square triangle combo with shinada I did everything first time (not with circle on the end, just punch kick and move on, as the kick crumpled almost everyone to the ground so you get breathing space to hit the next guy).

Edited by thefourfoldroot

• 1 year later...

Doing the Coliseum with Shinada is the worst thing I’ve done in any Yakuza game.

He is just too weak of a character, especially in the Ranked Match GP, to do any damage at all. It was so boring and I think the makers of this game forgot he is a character that relies on weapon and grab attacks, which you can’t do. 

I still did everything first try though, so the hardest thing for me was with Akiyama in the Limited Berserk GP. That took me maybe 6-8 attempts..

Time to wreck some opponents with Saejima in the Coliseum and collect the platinum.

• 1 year later...

Know this is an older topic now but for the first time I just suck at the coliseum in this series. Limited health match is all I have left but so far I can only pass it with Kiryu. Everything else is done so sitting on 99 percent complete.

I started a New Game Plus and noticed that the gold crown on all the sections is still there but faded for things like cabaret club and lockers for example. Does anyone know if that failed gold crown would be enough if I were to start a NG+ on easy for it to count as complete or is the trophy more linked to the percent number rather then the gold crown?

Bashing my head against a wall on what would a better idea keep trying coliseum on normal that I have wasted countless hours on now or start a NG+ on easy for the coliseum to be slightly easier but with the worry I might have to do a fair amount of grinding again even if it has a faded gold crown next to is as the total percentage is back to 60%