Disappointed

TurtlePM

The game finally arrived. I've been waiting for it for a long time since it was announced on PS4. I played the demo on Switch and I absolutely adored the character, controls and the level design. It wasn't anything that complex, but I had a good time playing it and I was super excited to be released on my main system.

Today the game arrived and I played the first world. The first level is the 3D level I played on Switch and, obviously, it was great :) after completing the level, I noticed the first world has 22 lost pages (items required to progress on story by completing the level or as a reward for collecting other stuff). Then I noticed there were some extra puzzle sections that also rewards you with pages... 

Basically, I was sold with the first level from the demo, I was expecting levels like that. But in the first world, you have 10 levels: 6 out of 10 are Puzzle games by moving statues or using a marble to collect coins. The second level was a short 2D level; the third was a mix of "avoid the obstacles" with some 3D Platforming; and the final level before the boss battle was a "Subway Surfer" style game that lasts less then a minute.

I thought: OK this is the first world, maybe the second world is bigger, I mean, this is the beginning of the game. When I reached the second world, it had 22 pages to collect again with the similar kind levels of the first one.

I haven't completed the game yet, sure, but looking at the number of worlds (6 if I'm not mistaken) and expecting a 3D platforming game approaching Super Mario style... This was really really disappointing :( I'm OK with a short game, but for a game that is sold as 3D platform (because that's what the demo showed me) with some exploring areas, why there's 60% of basic puzzle levels?

Everything else is great, from animations, physics, controls... But the lack of actual Platforming levels left me disappointed.

Anyone else felt the same?

(I don't see anyone talking about this game yet) 

Edited by TurtlePM
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, TurtlePM said:

The game finally arrived. I've been waiting for it for a long time since it was announced on PS4. I played the demo on Switch and I absolutely adored the character, controls and the level design. It wasn't anything that complex, but I had a good time playing it and I was super excited to be released on my main system.

Today the game arrived and I played the first world. The first level is the 3D level I played on Switch and, obviously, it was great :) after completing the level, I noticed the first world has 22 lost pages (items required to progress on story by completing the level or as a reward for collecting other stuff). Then I noticed there were some extra puzzle sections that also rewards you with pages... 

Basically, I was sold with the first level from the demo, I was expecting levels like that. But in the first world, you have 10 levels: 6 out of 10 are Puzzle games by moving statues or using a marble to collect coins. The second level was a short 2D level; the third was a mix of "avoid the obstacles" with some 3D Platforming; and the final level before the boss battle was a "Subway Surfer" style game that lasts less then a minute.

I thought: OK this is the first world, maybe the second world is bigger, I mean, this is the beginning of the game. When I reached the second world, it had 22 pages to collect again with the similar kind levels of the first one.

I haven't completed the game yet, sure, but looking at the number of worlds (6 if I'm not mistaken) and expecting a 3D platforming game approaching Super Mario style... This was really really disappointing :( I'm OK with a short game, but for a game that is sold as 3D platform (because that's what the demo showed me) with some exploring areas, why there's 60% of basic puzzle levels?

Everything else is great, from animations, physics, controls... But the lack of actual Platforming levels left me disappointed.

When I first saw it at e3 announced for xbox I never saw it as a TRUE platformer ... It was more running around and digging around collecting items with platforming elements added in :)   

22 minutes ago, Titanomachy_75 said:

When I first saw it at e3 announced for xbox I never saw it as a TRUE platformer ... It was more running around and digging around collecting items with platforming elements added in :)   

Well... Super Mario Odyssey is basically running around collecting items with platforming elements... And so Yooka Laylee, Spyro, A Hat in Time... You have some 2D sections in Super Mario, Flying Levels with Spyro and Yooka Laylee has some "Riding a Kart" areas, where you basically jump to avoid obstacles... But it's not half or more of the game around those "sections".

I don't know if you played Spyro, but if you did, imagine you ended up getting 6 out of 10 levels of Flying inside circles before the time runs out. Sure, I saw some videos about the game, I honestly don't recall any mini games from the footage. But even though, I wouldn't expect to have more mini game levels then the actual exploring 3D levels... 

34 minutes ago, TurtlePM said:

Well... Super Mario Odyssey is basically running around collecting items with platforming elements... And so Yooka Laylee, Spyro, A Hat in Time... You have some 2D sections in Super Mario, Flying Levels with Spyro and Yooka Laylee has some "Riding a Kart" areas, where you basically jump to avoid obstacles... But it's not half or more of the game around those "sections".

I don't know if you played Spyro, but if you did, imagine you ended up getting 6 out of 10 levels of Flying inside circles before the time runs out. Sure, I saw some videos about the game, I honestly don't recall any mini games from the footage. But even though, I wouldn't expect to have more mini game levels then the actual exploring 3D levels... 

I know what you mean .. But I dont see a problem with it .. Just doing there own thing! But anyways I cant wait to get it .. If the price is right! Hope its 19 or at least 29 dollars?

Edited by Titanomachy_75

43 minutes ago, Titanomachy_75 said:

I know what you mean .. But I dont see a problem with it .. Just doing there own thing! But anyways I cant wait to get it .. If the price is right! Hope its 19 or at least 29 dollars?

I bought it for €35, pre order price. Guess the regular price will be €40. And considering the price, both Yooka Laylee and Spyro (one of them alone) has more to do then this title. It's cute, it controls perfectly well... I just wish there were more exploring levels. Those in this game are very well done, imho. I just with there were a lot more :(

And yeah, if it was cheaper, maybe I wouldnt create a topic around this. 

• 2 weeks later...
5 hours ago, Spraragen88 said:

This is a kids game. Like made for 5 year olds, not adults.

I literally let my 4 year old play it and she understood what to do and she still has a hard time jumping over a gap in Super Mario Bros on NES.

Why is this a kids game? Because it has a cute cartoonish fox? Because it's a Pegi 3 or E in America?

Is your daughter able to complete the Puzzles from World 3 by herself? Or complete the challenges in the final island since she still have hard time jumping in a Mario game? I must say  these boss battles leave any Super Mario Odyssey boss Battle crying in a corner, in terms of variety and difficulty. 

Don't get me wrong, but don't come here saying "it's a kids game" as it justifies anything. It sounds like "don't expect too much from a 3D Platformer because its a kids game" when you might know there are very good platformers out there. 

I ended up loving the game and I must honestly say this is one of the best 3D Platformers out there. It doesn't mean I'm still not disappointed. In terms of length, New Super Lucky’s Tale is very very short, even compared to a single Spyro game.

The game was made from the ground up, fixing all issues etc, it still is the same thing as the original Super Lucky’s Tale on Xbox.

Maybe Pac-Man and the Ghostly Adventures on PS3 has passed under the radar for a lot of people because it seems Just a game for kids. 

Edited by TurtlePM
  • Like 2

On 8.8.2020 at 9:22 PM, TurtlePM said:

nah i really enjoy this . gives me a total cool retro vibe

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Got it from GameFly for $13. So far, it's a pleasant surprise, though the hub words can be tricky to figure out what I've completed, and haven't. I don't particularly like the statue minigames, but it's fun trying to figure out how to get all these different pages/letters in the different levels. It's not as a great as Spyro, maybe, but I'm fond of it. 

• 11 months later...
  • 2 months later...
On 2/12/2022 at 9:41 PM, Wagszilla said:

Loved it.

Fun, light hearted, with mostly great controls. I’d be all in for a sequel with a little sharper writing and improvements to camera, lighting, and world art direction. 

Agree, I am really enjoying this cute platformer! I don't mind the lack of a challenge, it is a damn good time with lots of light hearted jokes and environments. 

• Like 3