How do you beat the combat rooms?

Make sure you upgraded Batman fully from the main game first. Always see with the corner of your eyes how many goons you have left.

Start with a batclaw grab. Punch a goon, counter the second, vault over them and start freeflow punching them. When you have your combo built up, use either the Grab finisher or the Instant disable finisher (the ones that require you to press 2 buttons in order to instantly take a goon out). Try your best to end the final goon with a ground takedown (R2 + triangle or something)

The idea of the Combat rooms is to go from enemy to enemy without getting hit. In your first map you also need to do it without missing the combo. It takes a bit of practice but you will get used to it.

• Like 4

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I have to say: THAt WAS DIFFICULT. The combat system was a little odd for me, sometimes it doesn't responded that well and I took some punches into my face. I think that besides the tips from @Salfordladd the most important thing is TRY AGAIN AGAIN AND AGAIN. Unless you're a player god, you won't be able to get three bats in every challenge in the first few attempts. The key here is to memorize the concepts that have already been listed here and put them to practice, trying over and over again. Eventually you will become better at it and the trophy will be yours.

If I have one more tip is: if you're not succeding to improve your score after multiple tryes give it a rest, go eat something, go pet your dog, take a nap. When you return, you will be rested and things will be easier. I got three bats this way in four of the challenges.

Edited by thalles_63
  • Like 1

• 5 months later...

Yeah, always had trouble with Asylum. With City, I was able to get all the combat challenges done for every character. Some rooms were harder than other (fuck the titans), but I managed to get a feel for each hero. With Asylum, the combat's not as smooth, and it can be frustrating with so many enemies. But thanks for all the tips in this thread, everyone! :D 

• 3 months later...
31 minutes ago, IlFrankensteinlI said:

These are complete BULLSH!T. I've watched videos on how to do these. I read what you guys say to do. BULLSH!T to do. Completely F'N IMPOSSIBLE

I feel ya. The challenge rooms in Arkham Asylum pushed me to and then beyond my limit. However I really liked the campaign so I moved onto Arkham City. Once I beat City's campaign I tried some of the combat challenges and got through the first 3 in quick succession. This boosted my morale to try Asylum's challenges again and this time around I beat them. Sure some took more attempts than others but I would typically get close to the 3 star score.

These rooms are going to push you, they were the hardest things I've done in a game in a long time. I feel doing the campaign in City really helped me learn the ins and outs of the combat flow like the back of my hand and after I reached that point I was finally ready for the challenge rooms. Now the campaign challenges in City are a different story, I could probably easily get the first two trophies but don't think I have the patience for the Campaign Gold trophy. The Extreme Predator maps are tough as nails. Arkham Knight is far more forgiving unless you go for 100%.

• 5 months later...

Going through these now and they really aren't that bad. After reading some of the comments here, I was pretty intimidated going in but once you get the rhythm of what you need to be doing and maintaining your combos and utilizing all of Batman's moves to get the bonuses after each round, then it becomes very doable. Still fairly challenging but definitely not impossible or anything overwhelmingly difficult. 

The big thing is not to button mash and that's a habit that's hard to break if that's how you went through the campaign like I did. Your inputs need to be calculated, can't brute force these challenges otherwise you'll never get anywhere close to the score you need. 

My problem is once I break combo or get hit, I panic and then it's hard for me to get another combo going as my rhythm gets all thrown out of whack and I end up butchering the rest of the round. But that's happening less and less now after some practice. 

• 2 months later...

Currently have 19 of the 24 medals required for the trophy really close to getting sewerbat extreme and shock and awe the regular one I'm  gonna keep trying but it's just like that other guy said its a dance not a fight don't know how much patience I'm gonna have for rumble in the jungle extreme but hey its still  a good game though my humble advice would be focus on one map and learn the ins and outs of it anyway seeya and good luck honestly 

• 2 months later...

Lord I remember I did these when I was in middle school, but now I can't for the life of me get the three bats. It's so far shamefully taken me an hour.

I consistently have batman throwing rogue punches that break my combo in one instance and leaping across the arena to strike an opponent out of frame in the next so I feel like I never know what to expect despite knowing what I want to execute.

Try try try again is definitely the method.

My biggest pet peeve is when an enemy is right behind batman, so I press square, and instead of turning and doing a quick jab, he does a lil flip and gets punched. Sometimes he's like lightning, but other times he's much more rhythmic and flowy -- haven't been able to figure out how to harness that when I want.

• 1 month later...

Hey everybody, I am the original poster of this forum over 2 years ago and early this year I did return to arkham asylum to re-attempt the combat room and passed through them somewhat easily. 

My method/main tip to give is to hit an enemy and then double tap X to evade (preferably over the enemy you just striked) and then strike another enemy.

With enough practice of doing this you should be able to start implementing combat moves to up your score and effectively beat the combat rooms.

Keep in mind you won’t be able to pass each combat room first try there will be a lot of trial and error but with the tips I have talked about, it should be a much better experience.

Hopefully my advice can be of some help to a few of you, happy hunting!

• Like 1