God of War: Ragnarök (November 9, 2022)

Ghost

5 hours ago, Infected Elite said:

and im ready!

Purchased the Jotnar edition. was 280 or something. i didnt pay attention. 

Then ordered a standard on amazon.

Hell. Yes.

I did something similar.  Got the Jötnar off Direct in the first wave they released.  Then used a Best Buy voucher I'd had available to get the standard disc on PS4 for $50, because the steelbook will likely be like the Horizon FW one and have two disc slots to hold the PS4 version.  Hopefully I can take the day off so I have time to download the PS5 version and actually get to play a little on release.

9 minutes ago, Snake2410 said:

I did something similar.  Got the Jötnar off Direct in the first wave they released.  Then used a Best Buy voucher I'd had available to get the standard disc on PS4 for $50, because the steelbook will likely be like the Horizon FW one and have two disc slots to hold the PS4 version.  Hopefully I can take the day off so I have time to download the PS5 version and actually get to play a little on release.

Yeah, i knew i was getting Jotnar the day it was announced. Didnt need to worry. There are no set store allocations so it was open preorder.

As for getting the physical... shelf. lol. Yeah i was thrown off when I opened the HFW case and it had 2 slots... im like how big is this game? got a ps5 physical copy.... 1 disc. im like what the hell?! realized ps4 was 2 disc haha.

very weird it releases on a Wednesday though..... 

Edited by Infected Elite

16 minutes ago, Infected Elite said:

very weird it releases on a Wednesday though..... 

Nah, they're just staying true to the mythology! ?

"Wednesday" is derived from "Wodan's day." Odin is the Norse variant of the Germanic god Wodan (or Woden/Wotan depending).

13 minutes ago, Apollo said:

Nah, they're just staying true to the mythology! 1f61c.png

"Wednesday" is derived from "Wodan's day." Odin is the Norse variant of the Germanic god Wodan (or Woden/Wotan depending).

Yep, and Tuesday was named after Tyr, Thursday was named after Thor, and Friday was named after Frey lol.

32 minutes ago, Snake2410 said:

Yep, and Tuesday was named after Tyr, Thursday was named after Thor, and Friday was named after Frey lol.

Friday 11-11-22 named after Starfield and was the original release date for GOWR. 
https://imgur.com/a/X5mSEWB

Edited by TrophyChief

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Well that was disappointing, especially considering how much Game Informer hyped it up. That said, the game still looks very fun to me regardless.

The combat specifically appears to be faster-paced and more aggressive than the 2018 game as well, which I like quite a bit personally.

Cringing super hard at the people acting like Sony's weird marketing automatically spells doom for the game, and at those calling it "DLC" for being what a sequel generally is.

Edited by Zephrese
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Quink666 said:

What? Who thinks this is just DLC? That’s insane. I think Sony marketing is just as normal aswell, we will start seeing more gameplay as launch day comes closer and closer 1f600.png

The director/studio head/whatever (Cory Barlog?) said it was originally intended to be DLC but they ended up with so much content it needed to become it’s own game. People leapt on that at the time.

It’s just “Xbots” and trolls doing their thing, I mean I’m not a fan of God of War (2018), it’s probably the least enjoyable game I’ve ever tried to play and literally the ONLY PS4/PS5 game I’ve started and couldn’t face finishing BUT I loved Miles Morales (which looks to be the same DLC spin-off concept from PlayStation) so I don’t think the DLC comment is anything people should worry or get pissy about.

Edited by Tsundokuist

54 minutes ago, Tsundokuist said:

The director/studio head/whatever (Cory Barlog?) said it was originally intended to be DLC but they ended up with so much content it needed to become it’s own game. People leapt on that at the time.

that's not true, they never said that, you're getting things mixed up, what they said was:

1) they wanted to make DLC for GOW 2018 at the same time as making the next GOW game, they decided to go full on the next game and NOT do DLC for the 2018 game

2) they said that the original plan was to have a trilogy of the norse myth but didn't want people to have to wait 10 years to see the story finished so they decided to tell the whole story in a single game with GOWR, and the result of this is that GOWR is a HUGE game with more content and more complex than any other game they have done in the past

and for the people that look at the footage they've released so far and think there's not much new vs the old game, think about how they never showed the blades in marketing for the 2018 game, you think they're showing you everything there is in the game this time? why would they spoil their own game?

Edited by The Investigator
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, The Investigator said:

that's not true, they never said that, you're getting things mixed up, what they said was:

Ah, interesting. As I said, I didn’t like the 2018 game so wasn’t really following.

I just remember seeing people jump on the dev making a throwaway comment about their initial scope being DLC and that annoys me as I thought Miles Morales (which had the same “DLC” narrative attached) was perfect and not every game needs to be a 60-100+ hour epic.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Quink666 said:

What? Who thinks this is just DLC? That’s insane. I think Sony marketing is just as normal aswell, we will start seeing more gameplay as launch day comes closer and closer 1f600.png

I just know that I've seen a lot of people throw that word around lately, and not even just with this game. Guess people forgot what a sequel is or something. lol

2 hours ago, Tsundokuist said:

not every game needs to be a 60-100+ hour epic.

God, amen to this. lmao

I recall being really annoyed with the people that were complaining about Devil May Cry 5 being full price due to the fact that the story was only about ten or so hours long, even though the game was fantastic and had plenty of extra content. But since it wasn't a hundred-hour-long slog fest, I guess said extra content doesn't count for some arbitrary ass reason unless it's filling up a bland open-world (I say as someone who plays a lot of open-world games). lol

Edited by Zephrese
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, The Investigator said:

1) they wanted to make DLC for GOW 2018 at the same time as making the next GOW game, they decided to go full on the next game and NOT do DLC for the 2018 game

2) they said that the original plan was to have a trilogy of the norse myth but didn't want people to have to wait 10 years to see the story finished so they decided to tell the whole story in a single game with GOWR, and the result of this is that GOWR is a HUGE game with more content and more complex than any other game they have done in the past

and for the people that look at the footage they've released so far and think there's not much new vs the old game, think about how they never showed the blades in marketing for the 2018 game, you think they're showing you everything there is in the game this time? why would they spoil their own game?

Your last sentence is somewhat reassuring especially because the recent footage does look like a glorified expansion for the 2018 game. I'm not a fan of the reviewer, ACG, but I remember one video he made that I think rang true about how a reused HUD in a game can affect our immersion and, furthermore, whether we see it as a reskin or not. If you had told me that recent footage released was from the 2018 game I would have absolutely believed it. Only the enemy type gave it away. Still, I am cautiously optimistic. I think it's gonna be a Horizon Forbidden West situation, i.e. a great follow-up but not necessarily a groundbreaking one.