Is It Just Me...?

I've platinumed/100%'ed this game twice back on the PS3. I don't remember this game not only being so goddamn laggy but also so frustrating and difficult. I played as a mage both times on the previous two platinums and I'm playing one currently. Previous two platinums: annihilated enemies and I don't ever remember dying. This time around? I don't do much damage and I'm dying. A lot. I don't remember it ever being like this so I'm curious, did they make some kind of change that I'm unaware of?

Yeah I've found it harder than I thought it would be, which leads me to think that something has been changed in this rerelease as old posts talk about how easy this game was on Hard or how quickly you get overleveled. Fighting groups of Jottun Runewielders who resist my damage, stun me with cold and only give 200 XP at level 33 is fun. However I haven't noticed any major lag like you are describing, but I imagine the high level mage abilities like Meteor can cause things to slow down.

For the constantly dying part I figured out back on ps3 to wear the armours that give you +2 health regain or higher I'm on hard mode now I'm doing everything else before I work on the main story (no real reason why) and so far I heal slightly faster than I take damage in most cases. And the times I get walloped I just roll around for afew seconds to get back to max health 

But I do remember ps3 being much more effective on the healing armours and enemy difficulty

But hey I usually just hit them Abit then shock them seems to stun them then a good hit combo seems to break their defense and there life bar just melts like butter

I'm genuinely surprised you're finding it difficult, I havent played more than an hour on the PS3 version, but I'm finding the ps4 version astoundingly easy. The only time I died was when I was trying to unlock the trophy for beating someone higher level than you at the start of the game in the jail. I just rolled a tanky melee build, and used blacksmith to craft all my gear and weapons, and haven't even upgraded my armor in like 10 levels, and I still barely take damage even on Hard, and kill things in a few hits with 2-5k crits. Are you higher than level 34? I'm lvl 34 and I just got the ability to explore Men Senshir, and I'm lowkey wondering now if theres like a huge difficulty spike in the last few missions after reading this.

Edited by Griffon234

2 hours ago, Griffon234 said:

I'm genuinely surprised you're finding it difficult, I havent played more than an hour on the PS3 version, but I'm finding the ps4 version astoundingly easy. The only time I died was when I was trying to unlock the trophy for beating someone higher level than you at the start of the game in the jail. I just rolled a tanky melee build, and used blacksmith to craft all my gear and weapons, and haven't even upgraded my armor in like 10 levels, and I still barely take damage even on Hard, and kill things in a few hits with 2-5k crits. Are you higher than level 34? I'm lvl 34 and I just got the ability to explore Men Senshir, and I'm lowkey wondering now if theres like a huge difficulty spike in the last few missions after reading this.

Maybe going for a Might/Sorcery build is the problem and pure tank is the way? I started dying less from Mel Senshir onwards but the enemies still felt like absolute damage sponges, especially the Prismere Trolls. However the game became very generous with Greater Damage potions in the final few zones so I guess that balanced it out. Anyway I'm changing the difficulty now that I've finished the main story, I hope this doesn't affect potential difficultly trophies in the upcoming DLC.

Edited by bikeman223
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, bikeman223 said:

Maybe going for a Might/Sorcery build is the problem and pure tank is the way? I started dying less from Mel Senshir onwards but the enemies still felt like absolute damage sponges, especially the Prismere Trolls. However the game became very generous with Greater Damage potions in the final few zones so I guess that balanced it out. Anyway I'm changing the difficulty now that I've finished the main story, I hope this doesn't affect potential difficultly trophies in the upcoming DLC.

Oh, when I meant a tanky melee, I meant a Might build. Like I have not even speced a single point in Finesse or Sorcery (I believe there's a trophy for that, but I don't recall). If I can get + dmg% on my gear or weapons, I always opt for that, if I cannot get that, I try for crit chance, but both seem limited as stats, so I have a shitload of resistance in my gear. Even trolls, I was able to kill in a few hits with crits, but more than other enemies since they have actual resistances to every single element and physical by the seem of things, although trolls, along with Jotuns were incredibly annoying to kill without Relentless Assault, because of the chain CC.

Edited by Griffon234

I noticed some difference in the difficulty aswell, but i had no problem with it.

I did a Finesse/Sorcery build. The attacks and abilities from Sorcery with the gear that has crit chance and crit damage from Finesse. Basically a Crit Mage.

In the Sorcery tree you also can have a damage prevent shield on you which is handy to have. And for Finesse i did the poisen boost on in the tree.

I played the main story on hard, Since there is only 1 difficulty related trophy i switched to easy after i got it done.

15 hours ago, bikeman223 said:

I was a pretty much Might build with a tiny handful of points in finesse to get the backstabbing trophies as i played (respecced later on) and the first half of the game I pretty much had no issue, second half i found it a chore to fight regular mobs that were just damage sponges even with my gear being relatively decent. So I just rushed the remainder of the story because boss fights were absolutely a breeze, just get some hits in and then reckoning mode. Afterwards I too, dropped the difficulty and im just mopping up trophies now and I agree, I hope that the DLC doesn't have difficulty related trophy. It would be a bit odd considering that the current DLCs don't have one, but I have a save file from when I finished the main story so I can always upload that if need be.

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/19/2020 at 10:38 AM, Griffon234 said:

I'm genuinely surprised you're finding it difficult, I havent played more than an hour on the PS3 version, but I'm finding the ps4 version astoundingly easy.

^ this. 

On PS3, I really liked the Finesse style so I went with that this time. I've changed my armor twice and am level 22. I'm running daggers/bow and almost never use Reckoning because I don't need it. Bleeding causes enemies to take more physical dmg and poison causes them to deal less dmg. To help you further, drop points into Might to get the health boost or even get the sustained ability in Sorcery for damage reduction. 

Another tip would be to enter the Kollossae DLC around level 10 and get to Idylla. The vendors in the concourse give really nice gear... I didn't upgrade them for about 6 levels. 

Played the entire game through on hard with no issues. Think I died two or three times against bosses but that was it. The scaling has been adjusted in a number of ways.

Previously, zones had their own min-max levels and once you entered one, they were set at that for good. So, if you're level 5 and enter a zone which is level 5-15, then it'll be set to 5 forever - even as you level up. If it was a zone for 10-25 then it'll be set to 10 (the closest to your level), so you may die but coming back, later on, means you're now much higher than them.

Now, the zone levels adjust as you enter the zone. The min-max are still the same (some were changed), but it means returning to a zone that's level 5-15 means the enemies will constantly scale until they hit level 15, thus getting harder until they reach their cap.

This also applies to loot. Previously the level of the gear and the items in the chests are set as you enter a zone. Now, they are scaled based on your level at the time you open the chest. Also, if you get poor loot, or don't pick it all up, the system increases the chance of you getting better loot in the background, meaning the next chest should have something better that you actually want.

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

Never experienced the game like that. The first time I played it, I died at certain points. Mainly those filled with spellcasters. For the remastered version, I managed to much better than first time. Only two bosses from faction quest gave some trouble, but that's pretty much it.

• 1 month later...

I've been doing an all-rounder build and I'm not finding to too bad on hard. I'd suggest practicing your dodging over blocking and parrying, as I find the latter nearly useless because of recovery time. The bosses require a lot of patience and can be damage sponges, but any I've faced so far have very repetitive attack patterns.