What do you think of PS3 grafix today?

lettmon

I'm a PC gamer and I'm used to high res 60 fps on ultra but I'm still impressed by what the PS3 tech of 2005 can do. I'm currently replaying Batman Arkham Origins and it looks so good to me, sure there are texture pop ins and if you move around fast, there is some lag for a few seconds. I like how the devs took advantage of the game taking place in winter so you have a 'fog of war' of sort to hide that the PS3 isn't capable to renter the city fully.

But the game that has impressed me the most hasn't been God of War 3 or Uncharted 3 or The Last of Us but was actually a multiplat - Assassin's Creed IV Black Flag - it is very impressive what Ubisoft achieved there, and with short loading times too, but at the same time it is sad that they fully learned the PS3 only at the end of its lifecycle.

The worst in my experience was Splinter Cell Double Agent - it looked like a PS2 game and ran literally at sub 15 fps the whole time, I don't know how and why I completed it. I guess they only took advantage of one or two of the 'cores' of the Cell.

Also in my experience you have to play the PS3 on a 1080p or higher panel because on 720p panels PS3 games look cramped to me, na mean. I will take upscaled any time.

I like the PS3 graphics. Some games look very good and ,despite being old, their look fits the atmosphere. Take Batman Arkham City and Asylum for example. I am not very picky when it comes to graphics, but the ps3 still manages to impress, although some games have that old and gray dried out color palette. GTA 4 and MGS 4 for example, but they are still very good games.

• Like 1

I've very good memories of the PS3 graphics. The day I jumped from PS2 on CRT monitor to PS3 in Full HD, it was a massive jump. Similar to the one from 2D to 3D graphics. In that regard, the PS4 jump was nowhere around that much impressive. I bought PS4 in a bundle with Bloodborne and I thought that with some minor tweaks, Bloodborne would be very possible on PS3.

However, as the PS4 generation progressed, now everytime I go back to PS3 or see some PS3 game on YT, I can see the difference. I'm like: Shit, that was how PS3 looked like? Even the best looking games like Beyond Two Souls now look kind of crap to me.

Edited by BEAST_IHMOTEP
  • Like 2

They were jaggy and underwhelming back in the day in 87% of cases and they sure aren't any better now. And that's not even mentioning inexcusably inconsistent framerates and resolutions. It's the worst PlayStation for a reason... well, actually, a whole host of reasons, and that's one of the big ones. I'd hate to have to code games for this thing.

I'm not even ashamed to concede this one victory to the Verdant Dust Gathering Machine; damn near everything about the PS3's design is a sorry mistake, for which they kind of deserved to almost lose the generation. Just a smattering of five-six remasters and the thing will be functionally obsolete, and I'd be glad of it.

7th gen graphics from the ps3 and 360 era kinda hold up today. Some games like Virtua Fighter 5 still look damn good, especially when you consider the fact it’s an early gen ps3 title. I think the games that suffered the most are those with very muted, lifeless colors, odd human models, and/or low framerates such as Heavy Rain and Metal Gear Solid 4. 

Depends on the game imo. I'm currently replaying red dead redemption and I'm impressed that the console can even manage the game. Given it's age I have a very low bar when it comes to graphics.

I have a pc aswell and my god some games just aren't enjoyable to play on ps3 compared to pc. Mass Effect trilogy, skyrim (even without mods), fallout new vegas and BioShock are the first that come to mind. Fallout new vegas is absolute dogshit on console.

Edit: yes, black flag was impressive as fuck. Should have mentioned that.

5 minutes ago, SnowxSakura said:

Some games still look really good, and others look really bad now. I remember going back to dead island 1 after playing on ps4 for a few years, and instantly wanting to turn it off due to the high levels of motion blur in it. 

As far as I remember the original non-definitive version was always that blurry. Even on pc.

Edited by xDerErnst

7 minutes ago, SnowxSakura said:

Some games still look really good, and others look really bad now. I remember going back to dead island 1 after playing on ps4 for a few years, and instantly wanting to turn it off due to the high levels of motion blur in it. 

This^

Some games still look really good but others look like ass.

16 minutes ago, xDerErnst said:

I have a pc aswell and my god some games just aren't enjoyable to play on ps3 compared to pc. Mass Effect trilogy

I don't mind how the Mass Effect games look on the PS3 but those loading times, damn. Good thing the devs came to senses and made a graphical downgrade for the 3rd game in favor of shorter loading times.

37 minutes ago, xDerErnst said:

Depends on the game imo. I'm currently replaying red dead redemption and I'm impressed that the console can even manage the game. Given it's age I have a very low bar when it comes to graphics.

I have a pc aswell and my god some games just aren't enjoyable to play on ps3 compared to pc. Mass Effect trilogy, skyrim (even without mods), fallout new vegas and BioShock are the first that come to mind. Fallout new vegas is absolute dogshit on console.

Edit: yes, black flag was impressive as fuck. Should have mentioned that.

As far as I remember the original non-definitive version was always that blurry. Even on pc.

You can turn off motion blur on pc

Like others who’ve posted in this topic, I believe that PS3 game graphics differs for every game, though I will say that I feel lot of the games which haven’t aged well are from 2006-2009. Some 2010 games look poor but from 2011 and beyond the majority of releases do appear better.

Edited by PepsiMaxVanilla

It does depend on the game, but if we are looking at AAA games, most of them hold up well, especially those from later in the PS3 life cycle. Current AAA games are always going to push the boundaries and a PS5 game is going to look much prettier than even the best PS3 game.

But - many PS3 games hold up well still today and are completely playable. I have been going back and doing some clean up, and I've just finished up Tales From Space, which still looks and plays fantastically, and the LEGO games are still all very enjoyable, even if less vibrant than their PS4 counterparts.

Contrast this to PS2 games, which are now a complete chore to play - I did the PS4 version of GTA Vice City and it was horrible. Like, my eyes were hurting horrible.

The leap from Ps1/Ps2 to PS3 was light years of difference. I see incremental changes to the PS4 and PS5, but there are a lot of turds on those consoles that really don't look or play any better than many PS3 games.

• Like 3