PSA: PS5 Saves Trophy Screenshots and Videos

Swotam

Just a quick FYI for anyone who has, or is getting, a PS5. In addition to the ability to take a screenshot when you earn a trophy, the PS5 also saves a short 15 second video as well (you can change this to 30 seconds in the settings). While this is a fun, neat feature it’s also going to chew up SSD space over time, and considering that the PS5 only has 667GB of available space, it might be worth turning it off or at least periodically cleaning some up.

When you consider that some AAA titles have 40-50+ trophies, you could easily end up with hundreds of these short videos within a few months, which could add up to a noticeable amount of space used, so you may need to clean them up in order to free up space from time to time.

Update: as noted in one of the comments below, it creates a video for each trophy even when multiple trophies pop in a row, so if you end up auto-popping a whole bunch of trophies at once in PS5 versions of PS4 games where you already have Platinum (No Man’s Sky on PS5 for instance) you could end up with 1.5GB+ of videos that are all showing the same thing. Be aware.

Update 2: I finished Astro’s Playroom 100%, and according to the PS5, the total space used by the 46 individual trophy screenshots plus the 15 sec videos created for each of them equals 1.85GB. Of this total, the screenshots took up 276MB while the videos took up 1.55GB, so disabling the saving of trophy videos (on by default), or archiving them to USB and then deleting them, will dramatically reduce the amount of space used.

Edited by Swotam
Changed title to make more sense
  • Like 1

Ya first thing I did when I got the console was turn off the videos, the storage is already small enough and I doubt I would look at the videos ever anyways.  It might be nice if I end up making a guide for a game at some point but I doubt thatd happen any time soon.  It would be cool if it took the video and then uploaded it to the cloud instead of your SSD.

3 minutes ago, iGGTheEnd said:

Ya first thing I did when I got the console was turn off the videos, the storage is already small enough and I doubt I would look at the videos ever anyways.  It might be nice if I end up making a guide for a game at some point but I doubt thatd happen any time soon.  It would be cool if it took the video and then uploaded it to the cloud instead of your SSD.

They look to be 35Mb each which isn’t a lot, but for a typical AAA game that’s about 1.7GB and, if you’re a typical trophy hunter that’ll definitely add up as the months go by.

Definitely handy if you just need a quick 15-30 second video showing how to get a trophy, but otherwise maybe not the best use of available space.

• Like 1

FYI, the front USB-A port on the PS5 isn’t enabled during rest mode, so if you’re like me and wonder why your controller doesn’t seem to be charging after plugging the included cable into the front port, that’s why. When using the provided USB-A to USB-C cable, the rear ports are where you want to plug the cable in.

That said, the front USB-C port is enabled during rest mode, so that’s an option if you have a USB-C cable around.

Edit: looks like the mods merged this topic with the one about PS5 videos for some reason, although they’re totally unrelated...

Edited by Swotam
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, HusKy said:

I'm wondering what actually happens if you auto pop No Man's Sky. Does it actually generate ~50 identical videos? Seems like an overkill. :D

I've been wondering what it does when multiple trophies pop at once myself. Does it make a video for each of the trophies? I hope someone who has auto popped the No Man's Sky platinum can respond.

2 minutes ago, snakebit10 said:

I've been wondering what it does when multiple trophies pop at once myself. Does it make a video for each of the trophies? I hope someone who has auto popped the No Man's Sky platinum can respond.

It does make a video for each trophy. I got my last two trophies plus the platinum in Astro's Playroom at the same time and it made three videos.

• Like 1

I know the sizes probably varies from title to title, but can anyone give some rough figures on how much MB a (trophy) screenshot and video uses?

Also, are trophy pops (and other notifications) now visible on videos created with the "share/create"-button?

I will probably just leave the screenshots on. I quite like this feature on PS4 and still haven't deleted a single one :)

But I guess the videos will clog up too much..

Just now, Xylobe said:

So the setting for whether the USB ports are powered in rest mode only applies to the rear ones? That's odd if true.

The two rear USB-A ports and the front USB-C port are active in Rest Mode. The front USB-A port is not, for whatever reason.

11 minutes ago, Swotam said:

The two rear USB-A ports and the front USB-C port are active in Rest Mode. The front USB-A port is not, for whatever reason.

There's a system setting to choose whether the USB ports receive power in rest mode. Are you saying that the front A port ignores it and is never powered, or the other three ignore it and are always powered? Or is it both, and the setting just doesn't do anything?

1 hour ago, Mike13858 said:

It does make a video for each trophy. I got my last two trophies plus the platinum in Astro's Playroom at the same time and it made three videos.

Thanks for clearing that up.

I'll probably keep it on so I can post the videos here or on twitter than delete them. 

I just recently deleted all the trophy screen shots on PS4 and they went back to beginning of last year.

2 hours ago, Xylobe said:

There's a system setting to choose whether the USB ports receive power in rest mode. Are you saying that the front A port ignores it and is never powered, or the other three ignore it and are always powered? Or is it both, and the setting just doesn't do anything?

The front USB-A port is not active when the PS5 is in rest mode, even if you’ve selected the option to keep the USB ports active during rest mode. The two USB-A ports on the rear and the USB-C port on the front are active in rest mode so those are the ones you would need to use to charge the controller when the console is asleep.

Just updating this post using real-world data. I finished Astro’s Playroom 100% last night, and according to the PS5, the total space used by the 46 individual trophy screenshots plus the 15 sec videos created for each of them equals 1.85GB. Of this total, the screenshots took up 276MB while the videos took up 1.55GB, so disabling the saving of trophy videos (on by default), or archiving them to USB and then deleting them, will dramatically reduce the amount of space used.

While on an individual game basis this isn’t a huge amount of space, it’s definitely one of those things that adds up, especially as the months and years go by.