PSNP Discord moderators don't want to talk to me, what do I do?

Varhur

1 minute ago, Dr_Mayus said:

Maybe because people of a certain group are tired of their race, religion, sexual orientation etc being used as a joke or insult.

Let us take the Obama meme that was posted. Why wasn't Bush, Clinton, Trump, Carter, Washington etc used instead? Why did certain people (both in government and not) question whether Obama or Harris were born in the US but not Trump or Pence or Nixon or Gore etc?

You could say "it is not racist" but at the same time it has that subtly that has plagued our society for TOO long. The reason people get offended by things like that is because it is just another thing on top of all the other things they have to deal with.

I can understand that, but being an a-hole about only worsens your condition. The guy probably chose Obama because of the “Thanks, Obama” meme. I didn’t say his memes weren’t racist or homophobic, I was saying that people are either racist, or excessively sensitive nowadays. You can’t find a middle ground without having one party “calling you out” for leaning heavily on one side.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Dr_Mayus said:

Yes and no.

What you might see as "being an a-hole" might just be someone who is tired of having to put up with shit. I mean imagine being gay and having to hear people making gay jokes all day...after awhile you might say something and all of a sudden you are the asshole for speaking up and "being too sensitive".

Just because someone is standing up for themselves doesn't make them an asshole, it is because everything else up to that point hasn't worked.

^this. very nicely put

1 hour ago, Varhur said:

Well, just saying that "i didnt meant it that way" is obviously wrong, but tbh, I shrugged it off, thinking about it as in-between friends kinda thing, with the whole absurdity of there being a cemetery like that. Yeah, I know that it would work as casual homophobia, which probably doesn't make this any better... Thanks for letting me know actually, cuz it kinda puts a different light on the side of things and sorry for anyone who got offended by that (not using "offended" in derogatory way).

With a Discord server that has nearly 8,000 users, it should have been obvious that this wasn't just between friends.  There may only ever be a specific set of users that post, but I bet that there are a few users that lurk the Discord and could find that stuff offensive.  I took no offense to your posts, but I could definitely see why others would.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Jounochi said:

With a Discord server that has nearly 8,000 users, it should have been obvious that this wasn't just between friends.  There may only ever be a specific set of users that post, but I bet that there are a few users that lurk the Discord and could find that stuff offensive.  I took no offense to your posts, but I could definitely see why others would.

Yeah I’m in agreement here. You can make the argument that maybe in a certain light these memes could be funny, as they fall under the OKBuddy umbrella of “humor” (as much as I find those memes funny, I could absolutely understand if someone feels it’s offensive). Two things can be true, Varhur did step over the line, but I also don’t think he’s a bigot. Just my two cents, and final decision does come down to the Mod team. 

Just now, Dr_Mayus said:

Yes and no.

What you might see as "being an a-hole" might just be someone who is tired of having to put up with shit. I mean imagine being gay and having to hear people making gay jokes all day...after awhile you might say something and all of a sudden you are the asshole for speaking up and "being too sensitive".

Just because someone is standing up for themselves doesn't make them an asshole, it is because everything else up to that point hasn't worked.

Sorry, I must’ve worded that incorrectly and got ahead of myself. When I say being an a-hole, I mean being vocal to the point of harassing others for acting racist. Don’t get me wrong, the people who are racist are on the wrong end of the morality spectrum, and there’s no issue with standing up for yourself. But if you have to reach that level, then it becomes something that is ridiculed by the internet, and is something that a lot of people aren’t understanding yet.

I agree with both sides of this argument to an extent. I do believe that people are becoming a little oversensitive to things found on the internet, while also believing that people are becoming increasingly racist through the use of subtlety in memes. The problem arises from when I can’t find a middle ground to say this stuff, since to most people, you’re either a racist, or a hardcore supporter.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Dr_Mayus said:

Let us take the Obama meme that was posted. Why wasn't Bush, Clinton, Trump, Carter, Washington etc used instead? Why did certain people (both in government and not) question whether Obama or Harris were born in the US but not Trump or Pence or Nixon or Gore etc?

Because Obama's charismatic, is part of recent history and still fairly relevant to this day, has a big presence on social media, was really relevant during his time as president, already has a lot of memes with him, Carter/Bush/Nixon/etc. are already fairly old for this generation... summing it all up, a really iconic person.

But sure, let's just jump to the conclusion that it's racist.

• Like 3