Will I enjoy this if I haven't played Arkham Asylum?

Dreakon139

To anyone that owns the game...

I'm not too big into this series, but this sequel is starting to sound like too much quality to pass up. Will I not understand any key story/plot pieces or will the game be less enjoyable with no prior knowledge of anything that happened in Arkham Asylum... or are they two separate stories?

• Like 1

Play Asylum first. City and Asylum are roughly 18 months apart, with everything from Asylum affecting City in one way or another. All the background stories for the characters ties in the Asylum, but you can probably get away with just background information from the riddler's riddles.

Asylum also gives you a chance to practice the use of the gadgets and the fight mechanics. City doesn't come with a manual, only tutorials on the new gadgets and the new fight mechanics but everything else derives from Arkham Asylum.

• Like 3

:( Lame.

They look like cool games, but it's tough to muster up the energy to go through two games. Especially since I'd want to at least try and platinum both of them. Maybe I'll stick to my original plan and look into these games after I spend a few months with Uncharted 3 and Skyrim and perhaps after Arkham City goes down in price a little.

Thanks for the info though! :)

Play Asylum first. City and Asylum are roughly 18 months apart, with everything from Asylum affecting City in one way or another. All the background stories for the characters ties in the Asylum, but you can probably get away with just background information from the riddler's riddles.

Asylum also gives you a chance to practice the use of the gadgets and the fight mechanics. City doesn't come with a manual, only tutorials on the new gadgets and the new fight mechanics but everything else derives from Arkham Asylum.

Although I have played Arkham Asylum (not Platted though), this is great advice for those like Dreakon and others who have not played the first game. To me, this is the type of information that can prove vital for many of the games in the games section, especially those that are sequels.

great thread/question Dreakon. after just finishing up Socom 4, was a bit undecided to which game I would start next. My hommie @ work just got them both for the price of just city @ Walmart and offered to let Me Play Asylum while he plays City. Awesome friend by the way. :awesome: .

but back on topic, due to all the great responses, especially that of orenjikitty, I will be getting started on Arkham Asylum tomorrow.

thanks all for the great advice. B)

I would also recommend that you play Arkham Asylum first. The storylines are very connected and you'll understand more of the sequel having played the first game. Also, the combat in the first game is a bit easier because there are less gadgets/moves. Good practice for the second one.

To reinforce what others have been saying, I would definitely recommend playing Asylum first as it really does help you get a grip with the controls and mechanics of the game. On the other hand, if you are put off by having to play Asylum first, then just go for it with Arkham City! Seriously, its too much of a masterpiece to miss :)

I'll agree with the others. You don't have to play Arkham Asylum to enjoy Arkham City, but the story will make more sense and it will give you an opportunity to warm up to the combat system. Arkham Asylum is a fantastic game in it's own right, and considering you already know it isn't that expensive you have no excuse (Uncharted 3 doesn't count :lol: ) not to try it out.

Parker

• 1 month later...

Do you like Batman? If so then shame on you for not playing either game. Both are great masterpieces and you should at least try them.

Batman's alright... :P

The GotY Edition is only $20 at Gamestop. Maybe someday... I played a few moments worth of Arkham City on OnLive and the fighting system was pretty infectious.

Batman's alright... :P

The GotY Edition is only $20 at Gamestop. Maybe someday... I played a few moments worth of Arkham City on OnLive and the fighting system was pretty infectious.

It is addictive. Imo, it is very easy to get into, but difficult to master.

Don't forget Asylum has the play as the Joker dlc. I'm not sure if it comes with the GOTY, but it was free at one time. Check it out. Fighting as the Joker was hilarious.