Suggestion - Alerts for upcoming server closures

Hi, i suggest to make an alert system for games that will be soon became 100% unobtainnable, mainly for server closures, but also for patches that definitively remove some functionality (like FFXV comrades). First of all everyone should have a database of owned games and decide for which of them to activate alerts. It's a pain in the ass when a game with trophies like "play an online match" becomes unobtainable... in that case an alert can prevent it.

• Like 2

This has been suggested before and rejected, because it would be too much work to implement - therefore you're better off just monitoring the server closure thread since that will get updated long before anything else does: 

There's also this thread: 

...and this one: https://forum.psnprofiles.com/topic/68542-list-of-exploitable-games-via-patch-reversion/

Edited by HuntingFever
Update.
  • Like 4

14 minutes ago, XpanderFX said:

Hi, i suggest to make an alert system for games that will be soon became 100% unobtainnable, mainly for server closures, but also for patches that definitively remove some functionality (like FFXV comrades). First of all everyone should have a database of owned games and decide for which of them to activate alerts. It's a pain in the ass when a game with trophies like "play an online match" becomes unobtainable... in that case an alert can prevent it.

This thread allows people to check for games they may be interested in:

https://forum.psnprofiles.com/topic/48142-known-upcoming-server-shutdowns/

I think the complication comes in implementation for this site because it's easy enough to identify which games are on your profile, but when you say "everyone should have a database of owned games and decide for which of them to activate alerts" are you also talking about games that aren't on your profile? Then it's even more complicated because there isn't even a wishlist function, which would be less complicated than this, available on the site.

It's probably best to bookmark the existing thread that members keep maintained and updated. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, XpanderFX said:

I'm not sure how automated this could be as the news of server closures is unpredictable, depending on the developer and how they announce it. Plus there are times where a closure date might get extended or in some cases fixed (Shadow of Mordor) so it might be hard to curate and maintain.

But I honestly really like the idea of being able check out a trophy list and see a banner or notification panel indicating that server closures are happening + closure date. Or a banner saying 'You can't get the platinum for this game anymore due to server closures' etc.

I just get the impression there will be a fair bit of manual work here to make sure the closure information is accurate and up to date.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, HuntingFever said:

This has been suggested before and rejected, because it would be too much work to implement - therefore you're better off just monitoring the server closure thread since that will get updated long before anything else does: 

There's also this thread: 

...and this one: https://forum.psnprofiles.com/topic/68542-list-of-exploitable-games-via-patch-reversion/

I wonder what they mean by “too much work”.

of course i mean games that arent on the profile. games i have cumulated with monthly ps plus and that im intentioned to play arent on my profile yet. yesterday ive checked that thread regarding server closures and ive noticed 2 games on my list are no longer plattable (mad max and grand kingdom). anyway a personal database can be useful also for antoher reason: gaming sessions. i hate that it shows games that i've already 100% completed while i can't choose those im gonna play in the future. yes i can select "all games" or individual games but theres not an option to show all im interested in togheter

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, HuntingFever said:

It means exactly what it sounds like. To implement something like this, would take dozens if not hundred of hours of coding and data collection so simply isn't feasible.

Yes, and even after all that work someone would still have to add new shutdown announcements manually. That already happens in the linked topic and it works absolutely fine.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, sepheroithisgod said:

I feel like the feature doesn't need to be that expansive the amount of work shouldn't be that high.

Like just edit the game description and add an online option. If it's a single-player game, put N/A, if the online is still available Put the Word "Online" and fit is not, put offline.

What about the data storage space, database setup, and notification automation?

• Like 2

1 minute ago, DaivRules said:

What about the data storage space, database setup, and notification automation?

I'm not suggesting notifications, I think that's kinda crazy.

I'm just suggesting editing the existing game description card (on the right-hand side that contains information like the developer, publisher, genre) and adding an online section. That way people know at a glance if the online is up or not.

It would also help prevent people from having to make a new forum thread asking if the online is still up every few months. 

It may require some man-hours, but nothing very difficult.

i dont think its complicated too. ok lets forget the personal database. however its enough to add a checkmarkable box on every game that enables to receive alerts about servers closures/glitched patches via mail (or even a message in the forum or both). Of course admin must send that alert everytime there's a relevant update, but this not a problem too as its not something that happens every day: i update the thread + i send the alert regarding that game. the alert, also, does not have to be very specific. a message saying "hi, there's an update regarding game "X" you have enabled alerts. click this link to read about it".

well i just asked a friend that's a web developer. confirmed it's a very easy feature to implement. told me mechanism it's almost identical as "alert me when this product will be available again" in online stores...

sepheroithisgod's solution is fine too and even easier to implement. it will be not a fully automated system like alerts but still better than manual searching in the thread

Edited by XpanderFX

42 minutes ago, XpanderFX said:

well i just asked a friend that's a web developer. confirmed it's a very easy feature to implement. told me mechanism it's almost identical as "alert me when this product will be available again" in online stores...

That means nothing. This website is not a store and doesn't have the same infrastructure as an online store. I am currently a web developer by profession.

It's an interesting idea and the existing thread solves part of it, it just makes the players put in the effort to look on their own.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, DaivRules said:

That means nothing. This website is not a store and doesn't have the same infrastructure as an online store. I am currently a web developer by profession.

It's an interesting idea and the existing thread solves part of it, it just makes the players put in the effort to look on their own.

well, there's already an alerts system here. i just checked which alerts are present at the moment and there are literally ton of them...

1 minute ago, XpanderFX said:

well, there's already an alerts system here. i just checked which alerts are present at the moment and there are literally ton of them...

Yes, there are notifications and the 3rd party forum software has notifications for specific things. You're oversimplifying how things work.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, XpanderFX said:

of course i mean games that arent on the profile. games i have cumulated with monthly ps plus and that im intentioned to play arent on my profile yet. yesterday ive checked that thread regarding server closures and ive noticed 2 games on my list are no longer plattable (mad max and grand kingdom). anyway a personal database can be useful also for antoher reason: gaming sessions. i hate that it shows games that i've already 100% completed while i can't choose those im gonna play in the future. yes i can select "all games" or individual games but theres not an option to show all im interested in togheter

Well Grand Kingdom had a 20 page thread dedicated to the shutdown so that one was well advertised

TrueTrophies offers pretty much everything you suggested.

You have your normal games in your trophy list, but you also have a games collection which you can manually add any game on the site to. You can sign up for notifications on upcoming server shutdowns on either or both of those. As well as trophies that become unobtainable or obtainable due to other reasons.

It's amazing what can be done when the desire to improve a site is there.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dr_Mayus said:

Well Grand Kingdom had a 20 page thread dedicated to the shutdown so that one was well advertised

ehm... it can have even a 10000 pages thread. i have a list of almost 50 games still to play. i don't wake up every day and check if one of these game servers will be closed today or the next year. i did it 2 days ago and maybe ill do it again after 6 months. that's the purpose of an alert system im suggesting ?

1 hour ago, Shadiochao said:

TrueTrophies offers pretty much everything you suggested.

You have your normal games in your trophy list, but you also have a games collection which you can manually add any game on the site to. You can sign up for notifications on upcoming server shutdowns on either or both of those. As well as trophies that become unobtainable or obtainable due to other reasons.

It's amazing what can be done when the desire to improve a site is there.

thanks, ill sign on that website too considering here every request/feedback its too hard to implement 

I have notifications turned on for the shutdown thread myself and honestly I find it better then having a separate alert system for each game. Because as soon as I see I new post I jump into the thread, it also gives me one location to view all the games and double check times or ask questions (something else other people do in the thread as well). Because sometimes it's not just server closures that happen in the traditional sense other times it could minor parts getting removed. Maybe a single mode or only one or two regions effected and this information is as important to know then just a full closure.

For example with Darwin Project while the servers are remaining open for the time being in the NA and Europe they axed out half their localized servers from the other regions. This means those players now have to try to connect to a region that's not their own. This can be almost the same as a server closure as if they don't get decent enough internet in their country it can effect their connectivity and gameplay drastically.

11 hours ago, Lord_Bane999 said:

I have notifications turned on for the shutdown thread myself and honestly I find it better then having a separate alert system for each game. Because as soon as I see I new post I jump into the thread, it also gives me one location to view all the games and double check times or ask questions (something else other people do in the thread as well). Because sometimes it's not just server closures that happen in the traditional sense other times it could minor parts getting removed. Maybe a single mode or only one or two regions effected and this information is as important to know then just a full closure.

For example with Darwin Project while the servers are remaining open for the time being in the NA and Europe they axed out half their localized servers from the other regions. This means those players now have to try to connect to a region that's not their own. This can be almost the same as a server closure as if they don't get decent enough internet in their country it can effect their connectivity and gameplay drastically.

you can follow that thread but in this way you get a notification every time someone replies to it, while u dont receive it once the main post its edited, so its pointless. but, in case im wrong, tell me please how to receive alerts once main post its edited