More PlayStation games are headed to PC (God of War next, Jan 2022)

Venocide

44 minutes ago, Dreakon13 said:

Why are you assuming Sony isn't making a profit?  The fact they tested the waters with Horizon and continue doing it with Days Gone and possibly others, would imply it's working.

I didn't assume anything. What I did do was qualify that saying Sony "makes more money" as an argument points to revenue not profit. Getting more revenue is nice but profit is the real number that matters. 

Well, Sony isn't randomly adding these games. Horizon was first the Days Gone. Regardless of the sales of Horizon the release of DG was already in the works. They'll probably end up adding MLB the Show too. These games can all be called tests. My question is what results for these tests would equal success or become failure. Simply saying "more money" or more revenue isn't exactly a clear or honest answer. I wouldn't assume shit is working just because the games they planned to release ended up releasing as planned. 

Edited by TJ_Solo
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, TJ_Solo said:

Well, Sony isn't randomly adding these games. Horizon was first the Days Gone. Regardless of the sales of Horizon the release of DG was already in the works. They'll probably end up adding MLB the Show too. These games can all be called tests.

It's certainly possible these would all be considered the tests, though if the cost of porting and marketing Horizon PC was a loss for them they wouldn't hesitate to pull the plug on these next steps.  It's not like anyone knew or cared about Days Gone on PC until the Steam page went up.

17 minutes ago, Dreakon13 said:

It's certainly possible these would all be considered the tests, though if the cost of porting and marketing Horizon PC was a loss for them they wouldn't hesitate to pull the plug on these next steps.  It's not like anyone knew or cared about Days Gone on PC until the Steam page went up.

When will they pull the plug? Idk. One of the things I repeated back when Herman Hulst talked about this being a test is what determines the success or failure of this test. In response I get guesses, assumptions, and maybes. If they planned out a slate of releases for PC and have already committed time/money into the ports then why would the stop over one game? If this is a test then why not get through the entire planned ports then assess if more ports are justified? When Sony fell silent about the sales of Death Stranding and Days Gone the assumption in the community is that the games failed but the silence about the sales of PC ports the assumption is it is working. Okay, sure. 

Sony's information about these PC ports have been lacking. Even the releases of the games on PC don't get marketed or hyped up. These things are nearly stealth releases compared to how Sony handles the launches of these games on the PlayStation. Personally, feels like they want to avoid backlash or negative comments on their social media accounts so that someone like Jim Ryan can say "we haven't heard any negative comments about this decision".  To me there is a real lack of transparency when it comes to these ports and I find it unsettling. 

Edited by TJ_Solo

21 minutes ago, TJ_Solo said:

To me there is a real lack of transparency when it comes to these ports and I find it unsettling. 

Seems to me from a gamer perspective they’re getting all the transparency that gamers would be interested in for their previous or announced releases: dates and titles. 

What you’re asking (units vs profit margin) sure seems like information a shareholder would want to know and would be ideally asking at shareholder meetings, not posted on the PlayStation blog for people who want to know and talk about the games. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, DaivRules said:

Seems to me from a gamer perspective they’re getting all the transparency that gamers would be interested in for their previous or announced releases: dates and titles. 

What you’re asking (units vs profit margin) sure seems like information a shareholder would want to know and would be ideally asking at shareholder meetings, not posted on the PlayStation blog for people who want to know and talk about the games. 

Looks like the bare minimum for a low budget or stealth release. Low effort.

Am I not a shareholder? Even if I am not a shareholder then where was the information about the PC sales and profit for Horizon in Sony's fiscal reports that is open to the public and shareholders? Buried and combined into other numbers. Wouldn't shareholders be the ones to tell about the relative success or failure for these test markets? Nope! Just annoying obfuscation. I don't get why being labelled as a "gamer" also diminishes one's interest in financials. 

My point is that the information provided for these ports do not match up to the way Sony discloses information for their game sales. This isn't necessarily a matter of telling people about profits but moreso about telling people about sales. Given the statement of Hulst and other suits at Sony that this PC port venture is a test, then people(gamers, investors, newsies,...) will want to know how the test went.

Edited by TJ_Solo
  • Like 1

Well if it becomes common enough for Playstation exclusive games to appear on PC later with better graphics, mod support and the easy option to pirate it, then thats just another reason for me to not get a PS5 or PS5 pro, which is a good thing as it saves me money from both the console and the games I would have bought on it that I can then instead pirate or buy insanely cheap on pc. I don't mind the wait, I no longer play games on day 1 anyway, since the standards have dropped so laughably low in the current day that it is like paying for the privilege of being a beta tester and they increased the day 1 price to boot without adding any value. Sony is the only one losing my money in that scenario because they give me an easier and free option to gain the one thing that would have sold the platform, and given all the fails they had in the last few months I can't say that I would feel sorry for them.

• Like 1

I will say this, Sony would be wise to shore up their reputation a little before spreading their only real leverage (exclusives) a bit too thin on other platforms.  Even if they're both ultimately money grubbing companies, Microsoft/Xbox has had the edge in PR the last few years.

That being said, I think that small demographic console owners that would jump ship to maybe save a few bucks, probably aren't the people propping Sony or the industry up anyways.

Edited by Dreakon13

4 hours ago, DaivRules said:

And now their platform is practically identical to PCs and the transition of their product from console to PC is the lowest it's ever been. They'll still have platform exclusivity for as long as it keeps selling. Best of both worlds for a company.

I don't know why you repeat "they have platform exclusivity for as long as it keeps selling", there are no ways of defining this, what is this? 1 month? 6 months? 1 year? is Demon's Souls Remake still selling right now? because as far as we see the NPD reports, the UK reports and any reports really the game doesn't chart in units sold or money made, it has been off the radar since right after it launched, so by your logic, we should see it on PC right?

And with Playstation Studios and the move to some PC releases, they're expanding PlayStation consumers to also be people who don't only own PS consoles, but PC users as well.

PlayStation's consumers are the ones that get Ratchet and Clank Rift Apart in June, are those PC gamers?

Yes, I'm sure about that.

so where are those hundreds of games PC announcements?

That's part of the problem with your argument. You categorize not getting a new game as "suffering". 

this is part of the problem with your argument, nobody cares about your opinion, the facts are PlayStation's consumers, which are the PlayStation home console owners, are delayed their products because of interference from outside the PlayStation ecosystem, if Sony never made Guerrilla Games support a PC port of Horizon 1, Horizon 2 would be in the hands of PS consumers faster, that proves my argument on why I don't like the allocation of Sony resources to another platform

They'll still be selling the first 10-20 million copies with their profit margin, and then extend their profit margin once those sales die off. You go ahead and throw away ten million more dollars because you didn't ever do that before.

the data we have shows otherwise, xbox put their games on PC and what happened is not their games selling more, in fact they are selling less, Gears 5 with a launch on xbox and PC had lower sales than any Gears ever on xbox only, where are these mythical PC profits? I'm looking at Gears 5, a heavy online game, on Steam it had an average of 500 players in the last 30 days, is that the success you speak of?

Your argument seems to keep going back to you don't like change. That's not a reason to keep doing things when there's potential to do better.

your argument seems to be based on nothing, you have no data to support what you're talking about, I've given factual examples of games that used to release on console only, like Gears, being at their all time low when they shifted to multiple platforms release, development of new games being affected by the release of old games on extra platforms, other games finding new ways of making money and being relevant like FF7 without the need to release on other platforms than PS, you have given me nothing but your opinions, which I do not care for

• Like 3

39 minutes ago, LockheedPrime said:

PlayStation's consumers are the ones that get Ratchet and Clank Rift Apart in June

Guess I'm not a Playstation consumer. xD 

EDIT: People who buy "Playstation Studios" products are also Playstation consumers.  PC ports are as much Playstation products as the Playstation versions and the Playstation consoles.  It's all money in Sony's pockets, and the Playstation brand.

Edited by Dreakon13

6 minutes ago, Dreakon13 said:

Guess I'm not a Playstation consumer. xD 

what my comment means is they get the option to buy the game, if you buy it or not, it's irrelevant, in 2021, a PlayStation consumer is somebody that has a PS5 or is actively looking for one right now considering the pandemic affecting the supplies

Edited by LockheedPrime
  • Like 1

MLB The Show 21 wouldn't surprise me if it were the next PC game from Sony, especially considering it's already on Xbox One and Series X. Since getting a PS5 currently takes an Act of God, maybe porting some first party PS games to PC isn't such a bad idea. Sony will still keep plenty of games PS exclusive, I'm sure. I don't think God of War or Uncharted will ever appear on PC.

I seriously doubt Horizon 2 will be coming to PC until at least 2 years after the PS5 release. Back in 2017 when Horizon was released on PS4, nobody knew that Sony would later decide to release it on PC... not even Sony themselves. Something obviously changed between then and now.

Fun fact, there seems to be a small kerfuffle on Steam about Days Gone's data collection and the fact that (short of blocking with a firewall or turning off your internet) the game requires some matter of data collection... ie. hardware specs, internet info, error collection, etc... where most single player games either have none or allow it to be turned off in-game.

Seems like Sony wants the deets on the kinds of PC gamers that play these "testing the waters" PC ports. ;)

Edited by Dreakon13
  • Like 1

On 2021-05-19 at 1:23 PM, Dreakon13 said:

Fun fact, there seems to be a small kerfuffle on Steam about Days Gone's data collection and the fact that (short of blocking with a firewall or turning off your internet) the game requires some matter of data collection... ie. hardware specs, internet info, error collection, etc... where most single player games either have none or allow it to be turned off in-game.

Seems like Sony wants the deets on the kinds of PC gamers that play these "testing the waters" PC ports. ;)

Yup. Apparently their reason for collecting such data is to make sure you aren't using an aimbot. In a purely single-player game... I'll still get it, in fact ever since Days Gone came out I've been wanting to play it on PC rather than console, but I'll have to look deeper into this before installing it.

If people are interested, here is a CnP of the top rated review on Steam:

Spoiler

Didn't get a chance to buy this on PS4, so when I saw it on steam by the recommendation of a friend I bought it. So far so good, but you're going to want to use whatever Firewall you have on your computer to block the ♥♥♥♥ out of this game the moment you install it.

The Data Collection policy is an absolute joke. This isn't just collecting Diagnostic information from your PC (something I would be absolutely okay with), it states very blatantly that even the 'Limited' data collection which is somehow still the LESS invasive form of collection can look and save literally anything from websites, passwords via recording EVERY KEY STROKE OF YOUR COMPUTER WHILE THE GAME IS RUNNING, folders, and all of their contents regardless of file type. Again, the LEAST of the ONLY 2 Data collection settings you can select before it will even allow you to start the game says that the devs can collect and save anything from your pc at their own discretion. Their reason? To make sure you aren't aimbotting... IN A COMPLETELY 100% OFFLINE EXPERIENCE GAME. Like my 8k res special occasion ♥♥♥♥ pic folder is hiding DAYS_GONE_SPINBOT_100%_ACCURACY.exe.

At least Valorant's Vanguard system is inspecting every single pixel of my pubic hair in those photos to help keep Integrity in their ONLY ONLINE COMPETITIVE game which is why it's even remotely passable.

This isn't some Tinfoil hat ♥♥♥♥, people have dead ass copy/pasted both data policies in their reviews and I thought they were embellishing to make a fuss and refund a game they didn't like, until I booted the game and saw it for myself.

What an absolutely abysmal call, and for damn sure the next time I see this kind of ♥♥♥♥ in an offline only game I will not be buying it, i'll be acquiring it by other means, there are plenty out there. ♥♥♥♥ out of here with that ♥♥♥♥.

TL;DR Fun game, worth the money, use whatever AV Firewall you have on your computer to block literally anything to do with this game to rebuke it's access to the internet or you might find your nudes on an Ad spot on Wish because it will have been claimed and sold by the Data Collection Center as they have the right to do so once you agree to the terms.

The devs can collect and save anything from your PC? Ohhhh no. I'm not having that. Maybe I'll wait until the game goes to GOG like Horizon did. GOG doesn't allow DRM on games they sell, and they would probably consider this data collection to be a form of DRM. GOG defines DRM Free as "No activation or online connection required to play".

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2490873667

A link to a quick guide for firewalling Days Gone with Windows Defender. The processes you must block are crs-uploader.exe and also the DaysGone.exe itself. Create the couple outbound rules mentioned there, et voilà... welcome to offline mode.

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2490585066

And if you want to skip the Bend/PS Studios/SIE logo FMV intros, here you go.

Edited by RadiantFlamberge

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

I remember posting about this on reddit when they released share holder reports and it clearly stated they are going to start releasing PS exclusives on PC. I got down voted into oblivion and told I was full of shit.

Bloodborne announcement coming soon.

Edited by Dan-lives-here

Definitely wasn't expecting Sony to embrace the PC ports to this extent.  God of War is surprising but I guess it is 3 years old now.

Makes sense as a new revenue stream, a marketing tool for Horizon Forbidden West, God of War Ragnarok, and other sequels and IP's, etc, etc... but the kid in me misses hoarding exclusives and console wars.

Probably port Spider-Man over in the next year or two leading up to Spider-Man 2.

Edited by Dreakon13

• 1 month later...

January 14, 2022

PC FEATURES

High Fidelity Graphics Striking visuals enhanced on PC. Enjoy true 4K resolution, on supported devices, with unlocked framerates for peak performance. Dial in your settings via a wide range of graphical presets and options including higher resolution shadows, improved screen space reflections, the addition of GTAO and SSDO, and much more.

NVIDIA® DLSS and Reflex Support

Quality meets performance. Harness the AI power of NVIDIA Deep Learning Super Sampling (DLSS) to boost frame rates and generate beautiful, sharp images on select Nvidia GPUs. Utilize NVIDIA Reflex low latency technology allowing you to react quicker and hit harder combos with the responsive gameplay you crave on GeForce GPUs.

Controls Customization

Play your way. With support for the DUALSHOCK®4 and DUALSENSE® wireless controllers, a wide range of other gamepads, and fully customizable bindings for mouse and keyboard, you have the power to fine-tune every action to match your playstyle.