How do people feel about Single Player shareplay sessions?

SimmondsR

I don't even understand why people want trophies that they didn't earn themselves on their profile. A trophy is about your accomplishments and your gaming history. If you didn't do it yourself then you should not receive the trophy for it. If you weren't good enough then too bad. Practice and git gud, google builds on the internet, lower the difficulty or watch a YouTube video for the ending. You do not need to earn the platinum in every game.

Same goes for auto-pops. If you platted the game on the PS4 then you deserve exactly one platinum trophy, the one for the PS4 version of the game. "B-b-ut I didn't wanna go through all that grind again for the PS5 plat". No, and you didn't have to. You could have just skipped the PS5 stack or saved it for a replay down the line. Why do you even want two plats for something you only did once?

• Like 3

I'm surprised it's allowed on this site and I think its disingenuous and I would never consider doing it, but that said I really don't care what other people do with their trophies. I'm not placing first on any leaderboards and I really don't care how I rank against others. Trophies are a way for me to track what I've done in what games. 

• Like 1

I don't really care if people need help with a section on a game or something. It's not something I'd ever use though. It does bug me when people clutter up the session boards with them though. 

The one that reaaaaaly bugs me? "I need someone to shareplay this entire game for me because I'm a completionist and I have Autism". 1. Using Autism as an excuse to not play games/make people sorry for you/portray it as a disability is disgusting. 2) You aren't a completionist if other people play your games for you. 

• Like 1

On 3/4/2021 at 4:50 PM, DrBloodmoney said:

Remember that old gameshow ‘Who Wants to be a Millionaire?’

They let you phone a friend, once, as one of your lifelines.

That was a fair concept for a clue.

What they didn’t let you do, was post the question on a public forum, with a request for people who already know the answer to call you....

You know, I always wondered what would happen if someone phoned a friend and they answer while on the crapper. 

I don't see a problem with it, no different than getting someone else to use your controller.

Fact is, if shareplay would have existed in the PS2 days, I would've found someone online to do the 200 lightning dodge crap for me in FFX, hated how long I spent on that.

Edited by chriee

I've only used shareplay once in my life. And it was for a wholesome tutoring lesson (no money, just a good guy teaching me his techniques). Was a race game, his YouTube videos he was getting his speed much higher than mine and I couldnt figure out how, or what I was doing differently, so he jumped on a practice track, gave me a friendly lesson teaching me his tips and techniques, and then left me on my merry way. He never completed anything for me, no trophies were earned, it was just a useful lesson to show me how to play the game better with better understanding, which was wonderful, and I think moreso what shareplay was intended for? Maybe?

Something just wouldn't feel right about other people actually just outright getting trophies for you. On my YouTube videos I have had many messages saying hey please get this trophy for me, even offering money, i always say no sorry I don't get trophies for people. Never have and never will. Feels dirty to me, but if it feels fine and 'helping/supporting the community' to you, then that's fine too, doesnt matter either way really does it!

This topic suddenly revived out of nowhere 😮

But my stance from 2021 to now is pretty much the same.

Overall, I don't really care. Especially now more than ever with the vast amount of shovelware that plagues PlayStation now. I believe at this point Trophy Hunting is what you make it these days and your own little code you run by.

It does seem very odd to me that someone would get someone else to do their trophies for them, it seems to completely negate the accomplishment. If you can't do the trophy, then it's one you just have to accept you can't do. I used to let this bother me but I now try to stick to a 70% rule for games I know I can't Platinum or just can't be bothered to stress myself out doing it. Get that progress bar to 70% and I'm happy.

But I guess I can see a point of view with a game like Stardew Valley or something, where you spend weeks of playtime to unlock the Trophies relevant to the actual game and the only thing that's preventing a Platinum is a stupid mini-game trophy the Dev sticks in just for the gaff of it. 

People have mentioned that it's no different to passing a controller to a friend. But personally, I wouldn't do that either it's still someone else doing the task for me. It's one thing if that friend unlocked a progression trophy or contributed  a bit towards a 'Get (x) amount of a certain kill' trophy'' because that doesn't require a skill that I don't possess. But having someone play Hard Mode for you or finishing a mode like 'Last Survivor' on Resident Evil 2 for example...just seems odd to do. To me, it sounds like that individual needs to let go the addiction of trophies and little and let things lie as they are (I know this because Trophies used to dominate my experience too and it can be a real bitch of a habit to kick for sure).

But I think things like:

- Press X to get Plat games.

- Auto-pop PS4 to PS5.

- Playing multiple region versions of the easy plat games.

to name a few is the bigger plague in the trophy community and these things alone has now made it so that really....it comes down to how you want to tackle trophies and present yourself with them. 

Like for real, looking at the people that have the top spots in the world for Trophies and purely seeing multiple versions of the same shovelware and only shovelware cover their entire list...yikes....like I'm not usually one to judge, like play what you want but at that point, are you really enjoying games anymore? 🤨

Its a lazy and npc way to get a trophy.

If one is not capable of earning a trophy then either live with it or practice more until you get it.

Would be like sending my friend to become MVP in a tournament and then handing me over the trophy.

Everyone with basic logic would say that this is wrong.

• Like 1

Could've given a crap, do people seriously careful if someone asks for help for a damn trophy. Get a grip. 

If you were on the last question of who wants to be a millionaire you're telling me you wouldn't phone a friend who knew the answer. 

Is cheating, plain and simple. 

It's crazy to me that people are so willing to pay someone for trophies to the point where the whole "I'll get you the plat for cash" thing became a genuine business. Just do something else at that point.

• Like 1

I think it's fine for people who wants to get through the story to get some help. People who needs that help is probably not going after trophies in the first place. Don't forget trophy hunt is a niche.

Personally,  if there is "that one trophy" from platinum and I can't do it, I just move on. They are usually unrelated to the overall experience of a game. Titanfall 2 and Hollowknight comes to mind.

At the end of the day just stick to your own code. If you care about the leaderboard when there's people with 1000 platinums, then you wouldn't care about this.