PlayStation 4 Won't Show Trophies When You're Offline, Still Requires Sync

Goro

The PlayStation 4 will not allow users to look at their Trophies or Friends lists when the console is offline, Polygon has learned using a retail unit received for review purposes.

The PS4 still doesn't sync Trophies in the background — every time you load up your list of virtual accomplishments, the console takes a moment to sync with Sony's servers. Perhaps because of that, you can't view your Trophies list if you're not connected to the internet. On PS3, you can scroll through your Trophies whenever you want, and you can sync them the next time you're online. You can definitely earn Trophies while playing PS4 games offline, but if you try to look at your list when you've disabled the console's internet connection, you'll get the following error message:

[Connect to the Internet] is turned off.

(NW-31484-0)

There's no caching of data, either. Even if you viewed your Trophies and then disconnected from the internet a second later and tried to look at the list again, you'd get that same message. It seems that whenever you bring up the Trophy list, the PS4 attempts to contact Sony's servers, and it won't display the list unless it can sync to get the latest version.

Like on the PS3, you also can't view your friends list or your own profile on PS4 while offline. The same applies to the PlayStation App on mobile devices — when we tested the app on an Android phone, we couldn't view our profile, friends or Trophies while our data connection and Wi-Fi were disabled.

While offline, you can look at the bookmarks you've saved in the PS4's browser, and read messages that you've previously sent and received. But it's telling that when you're offline, most of the items in the PS4's dashboard navigation bar tell you to connect to the internet.

Source - http://www.polygon.com/2013/11/14/5103898/ps4-what-you-cant-do-offline

Either a minor software kink, or Polygon being inept. Regardless, non-issue really, will be patched withing days/weeks, with new soft to fix HDD problems and maybe some more stuff.

And doing trophies that sync automatically is pretty much impossible now, because of legacy spread throughout 3 platforms - rewriting it from ground up would be time consuming and problematic. At the same time, sync itself was never an issue IMHO - time it took on PS3 was. And it's, as far as we know, almost instant on PS4.

This one scares me the most, and those are all pretty damn annoying.

Have you tested if they automatically unlock once you connect to PSN again?

This is going to be super annoying  cause without a notification how would you know you collected the trophy if you had no internet because of some unforeen reason . Say I am playing A racing game and trophy said complete the race in under 90 seconds how the hell would I know if I won the trophy.....

Edited by TrophyDad

I HAVE a PS4, and this is actually a problem that bugs me alot - so much so; that I'd like anyone (and everyone) who reads this to spread the word around PSNProfiles & the 'other' trophy sites. THIS NEEDS A PETITION!

------

HERE's THE SITUATION WITH PS4 & TROPHIES

------

1.) If you don't have a 'internet connection' (AND/OR are not signed into PSN) Trophies WILL NOT unlock in games!

2.) If you don't have a 'internet connection' (AND/OR are not signed into PSN) you CAN NOT even look at you're Trophies on you're Trophy List, or see which specific Trophies are available in whatever game you're playing.

3.) Each (and every) time you go to you're Trophies list, a (sometimes lengthy/buggy) PSN Server 'SYNC' is required (even if you where 'just' in you're trophy list minutes earlier.

4.) Each (and every) time you click on a game within you're Trophies list, you have to wait for another PSN Server 'SYNC' to view the trophies for a game. If you return to that games' trophies after exiting, 'another' SYNC is required. A separate PSN Server 'SYNC' is required for each (other) game on you're list!

5.) To simply view you're profile, requires a internet connection, and a PSN Server 'SYNC' - EVERY time you view it (which includes messages & friendslist).

Sony needs to be aware of the problems this raises for people without internet, folks with a unreliable or crap *ping rate (like satellite & wireless internet users), and [frankly] the 

average PlayStation user who recognizes PSN's Severs Sync has always been slow & unreliable at times. Plus, what happens if you're internet goes out? 

We all need to demand/petition Sony release a 1.60 firmware update Allowing you to view you're profile & trophies - and more importantly - aquire (unlock) Trophies 'offline'. 

PS3 lets you, XB360 lets you, and [yes] even XBOX ONE lets you. So why not PS4?

It does have an image. Atleast as of firmware 1.50. Just like PS3 - only all the trophies you just unlocked in a playthru, tend to 'pop up' (collectively) 'after' you quit the game & exit to the dashboard. This doesn't always happen - so it maybe a firmware 1.50 bug - but 70% of time it happens. I played Injustice, and upon quiting 3 separate trophies popped up into view.

Yeah I kind of figured, if you couldn't even view them offline... How the hell were you going to unlock them...

This is utter shit. They better get their shit straight, because the way I'm seeing it. I'm not buying one for a long time. I'll just keep playing my Vita and PS3, which are doing a lot better as far as this goes. And the whole thing about the trophies not showing up until you quit out of the game, BS. What I said about no image, I was referring to when as soon as you unlock it and shows on your screen, you know... the way the ps3 and Vita do so well. Not this rushed piece of crap.

Ummmm, I don't know what anyone here is talking about.  I have a dial-up connection so I cannot keep my console online, but I am earning trophies and I can see my trophy list fine.  The only thing I'm bummed about is no sort options, but the list is still there and perfectly viewable.

Don't know who to believe now.

• Like 1

I have a dialup connection and I haven't touched anything online yet.  I have setup and internet connection, but I haven't been able to sign in with my PSN account.  I didn't create a new ID or use and existing one, I simply created a new user account (not attached to my PSN yet) and am waiting until I can get connected.  I'm still not sure if my connection issues are related to the servers or my slow connection though.

• Like 1