I still own a game that I refund

Pottercito_

I asked for a refund yesterday, because I think I prefer Ratchet deadlocked, and I have wasted some money on the PS3 and the other game was just unneccesary for me actually.

However, the game is still in my console, and it seems playable, it still saids I am the owner of that digital content. Why??

Edited by Pottercito_

8 minutes ago, SKiL_Clash said:

You got your money back and a free game. Why question it. Lol

I mean it is weird. Does it happen to anybody else? What would happen if I play that game? Lets say offline, willmy money be charged? The game is not in my download list actually. 

6 minutes ago, Helyx said:

Does it display a time limit or license expiration date?

Nope,

Expires: -

Owner: Pottercito_

1 minute ago, Pottercito_ said:

What would happen if I play that game? Lets say offline, will my money be charged?

Not likely, especially if you have purchases set to require a password at checkout.

Safest way would be to disable the internet entirely (signing out of PSN isn't good enough), then get all the trophies without an internet connection.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Helyx said:

Not likely, especially if you have purchases set to require a password at checkout.

Safest way would be to disable the internet entirely (signing out of PSN isn't good enough), then get all the trophies without an internet connection.

Possibility of being banned? I mean I "own" that game but I asked for a refund of that game xDD

14 minutes ago, Pottercito_ said:

Possibility of being banned?

They have no possible way to tell that you played a "free" game they've already refunded to you.

If you're worried, just disable the internet while playing until it's 100% complete.

• Like 1

They will have removed it is off your purchase history. You likely can't download it again.

No, non DRM games that you buy never have an expiry.

I mean, of course it's still on your console. Sony don't have the authority or access to just delete it off your console. :)

Sony probably already made that tech for PS5 though...

• Like 1

A few years ago I pre ordered south park fractured but whole because it was on sale and was bundled with the stick of truth for free, the game was delayed and my pre order was canceled but i was able to keep the stick of truth after i was refunded my money

i never started it yet but it shows that it’s accessible on my ps4’s dashboard

15 minutes ago, Pottercito_ said:

If someone has played a game that they refunded by having it in their console. Can you tell me your experience? 

You could be that pioneer. Give it a try and report back!

1 hour ago, Pottercito_ said:

I asked for a refund yesterday, because I think I prefer Ratchet deadlocked, and I have wasted some money on the PS3 and the other game was just unneccesary for me actually.

However, the game is still in my console, and it seems playable, it still saids I am the owner of that digital content. Why??

I refunded Uncharted 2 because in my region DLCs are not supported, still they removed it from my purchase list but game was playable and I managed to plat it no problem.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, enaysoft said:

They will have removed it is off your purchase history. You likely can't download it again.

No, non DRM games that you buy never have an expiry.

I mean, of course it's still on your console. Sony don't have the authority or access to just delete it off your console. :)

Sony probably already made that tech for PS5 though...

This ^

They can’t physically remove it from your console, all they can do is remove your ability to re-download. 
Just ask the copies people still have of PT.

Technically though, you are in a bit of a sticky area - The licence will probably not bother to be revoked, but it could be, and you wouldn’t be able to restore it.

Also If you continue to play and earn trophies timestamped after the date of refund - while highly unlikely - Sony could, technically, demand payment again - though that would depend on the specific applicable consumer laws in your country.

I’d be astounded if they actually bothered, based on a single incident, but I suspect if you were doing it habitually they might look into it, as it could be argued that it is fraud.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, DrBloodmoney said:

Also If you continue to play and earn trophies timestamped after the date of refund - while highly unlikely - Sony could, technically, demand payment again - though that would depend on the specific applicable consumer laws in your country.

They wouldn't. They would have no proof someone using a different account on the same Playstation and of course if the game was non digital release. You could have just bought the physical version. Anyway I doubt Sony have the time for that.

Paying one person to investigate for even an hour is about the same value as the game itself.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, enaysoft said:

They wouldn't. They would have no proof someone using a different account on the same Playstation and of course if the game was non digital release. You could have just bought the physical version. Anyway I doubt Sony have the time for that.

Paying one person to investigate for even an hour is about the same value as the game itself.

Yes I agree - I mean, I think this might be an issue if someone was habitually doing it over and over with every game, but there is no way that they care enough about a one-off like this to do anything.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, OhDearDevilRun said:

The right thing to do is delete it. 

ethically yes, but unlikely that anyone has that decency lol.

Digital content is always downloaded with an expiration date. PS+ content has a visible date which coincides with the expiration of your subscription. Full purchases have an invisible date at some unknown point far in the future. We know that because you lose access to all of it if your internal clock dies.

As long as you're offline and within that expiration date, which in your case is far in the future, your console has no reason to believe there's a reason to deny you access.

Now, in theory I believe you're fine even to connect online as long as you don't run the game, because in my experience your system doesn't get the new expiration date for your PS+ licenses without you attempting to run each game.

Now, if you try to run the game while online, you're treading uncharted waters. I don't believe there's a risk of anything worse than simply being locked out of the game though.

2 hours ago, NamoPh said:

Full purchases have an invisible date at some unknown point far in the future. We know that because you lose access to all of it if your internal clock dies.

I’m pretty sure there isn’t a date far in the future, but rather a comparison to null as a date that’s the cause of that problem. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, DaivRules said:

I’m pretty sure there isn’t a date far in the future, but rather a comparison to null as a date that’s the cause of that problem. 

But the expiration date would always be null in that case, why does comparing null to null then suddenly return an error? If the error only happens when the clock date becomes null, I can only see that as meaning that the other side of the equation has always had a set value. Still guesswork on my part, but I see that as the only logical conclusion.

26 minutes ago, NamoPh said:

But the expiration date would always be null in that case, why does comparing null to null then suddenly return an error? If the error only happens when the clock date becomes null, I can only see that as meaning that the other side of the equation has always had a set value. Still guesswork on my part, but I see that as the only logical conclusion.

The null value is the default PSN time value until the clock has synced. Authenticating a license to null is what is probably causing the error. The license authentication isn’t looking to compare date to date, it’s looking to see that there IS a date, which would verify the profile has connected to PSN. 

9 minutes ago, DaivRules said:

The null value is the default PSN time value until the clock has synced. Authenticating a license to null is what is probably causing the error. The license authentication isn’t looking to compare date to date, it’s looking to see that there IS a date, which would verify the profile has connected to PSN. 

Technically possible, but I honestly can't fathom the reasoning behind such an arbitrary check. As far as I'm aware you can't copy games from external devices to the PS3 (jailbreak aside), so if you have a game on your drive it means you've connected to PSN in the past. Would that be added exclusively for planned obsolescence? Has that already been documented before, or are we both guessing?

5 minutes ago, NamoPh said:

Technically possible, but I honestly can't fathom the reasoning behind such an arbitrary check. As far as I'm aware you can't copy games from external devices to the PS3 (jailbreak aside), so if you have a game on your drive it means you've connected to PSN in the past. Would that be added exclusively for planned obsolescence? Has that already been documented before, or are we both guessing?

I’m only guessing based on the data and fields available in backed up games downloaded from PSN. Purchase titles don’t have a date in the expiration field.