Uncharted

Abby_TheLastofUs

20 hours ago, DarkHpokinsn said:

You’re an idiot lol. 

So many people still bitter about the Last of us 2, would you guys just get over it already? Either way as long as Nate isn’t the main character I’m good. I don’t think people understand that U4 finished Nate’s arc perfectly. No continuation necessary. 

Why am I an idiot, because you're  still bitter that not everyone is sucking Sony's shit? I offered a profitable model of business for the Uncharted  series, alongside  it made friendly to suicidial  politics anglos  love, what did you offer that gives you the ability to discern who's an idiot and insult them, you little shit?

• Like 1

On 9.4.2021 at 3:05 PM, sepheroithisgod said:

I know most people say it as a joke, but I really would enjoy a Taken styled game where Cassie is kidnapped and Drake has to use his particular skillset to save her.

Wait a second. I never thought about this but that would be awesome!

However, I still hope for a Sam/Sully Uncharted. TLL was great and I really liked the main characters but I missed Sully. And after the epilogue of U4 it just makes sense to follow the (possible) adventures of Sam and Sully.

U4 was the perfect end to Nate. I think he, Elena, and Cassie deserve to live out the rest of their days in peace. It's why I absolutely, positively, loathe the idea of a Cassie-led game. I think her being the lead (or heavily involved) in Uncharted shenanigans takes way too much away from U4's perfect ending, and would be a massive jumping the shark moment for the series. Bringing back Nate, or passing the torch to Cassie is a series ruining idea in my eyes. It's unbelievably terrible. I know it sounds overdramartic, but Uncharted is my favorite series in all of gaming. I don't want it to see it overstay it's welcome or struggle to recapture the magic like a series like Halo is going through.

They have a great foundation with Chloe, Nadine, Sam, and Sully. It would be a travesty to not build upon that, and move the focus away from there. Uncharted no longer needs Nate, Elena, nor Cassie. Period. Either keep it that way, stick to prequels, or don't bother with Uncharted anymore.

I’d like to see a continuation of the Lost Legacy storyline, with Chloe and Nadine being joined by Marissa Chase - she was a decent character, and wasn’t mentioned again, so they could work basically anything they want into her backstory for the intervening time - but presumably was still treasure hunting, as Drake had a note on one of his boxes in his attic reminding him to send her something in 4.

Edited by DrBloodmoney

10 hours ago, scemopagliaccioh said:

Why am I an idiot, because you're  still bitter that not everyone is sucking Sony's shit? I offered a profitable model of business for the Uncharted  series, alongside  it made friendly to suicidial  politics anglos  love, what did you offer that gives you the ability to discern who's an idiot and insult them, you little shit?

Lol chill out dude, no need to be so serious. Someone is wound way too tight, that goes for your first post too. Unrelated, but it’s Interesting that both of us have been a member of this site for about the same amount of time.

Edited by DarkHpokinsn

On 4/12/2021 at 1:35 AM, scemopagliaccioh said:

Impossible, Lazarevic is russian, so not trustworthy in their voting patterns outside of their home country, he cannot, henceforth, be considered  an hero.

He is serbian, not russian. 

Would love to see Sully, Sam, Nadine and Cloe in another adventure, but way bigger adventure then in the  Lost Legacy.

Edited by Ptirle

• 3 weeks later...

Already known about this since the beginning but great reaction and action taken by that second Sony Bend Studio's team. Great to see that kind of integrity from them, unlike the Naughty Dog team that hasn't pushed back against the unneeded The Last of Us remake project. Uncharted also doesn't need anymore installments. The series should have ended at Uncharted 3, and at one point Naughty Dog did allude to or state it was the conclusion to the series. To then see a Uncharted 4 some years later was not just disappointing but a waste of time that could have gone into telling a new story in a new universe (or concluding a certain unfinished story in a certain existing universe).

Essentially, Uncharted 3 was a perfect ending for the series and came full circle. Naughty Dog did it first virtually to the same extent with their Jak and Daxter series. What slightly differentiates them is that Jak 3's ending never provided full closure: it answers various questions introduced in the previous two games, ties up multiple storylines, and come full circle at least a triple times over, but it also leaves one of the biggest and most mysterious storylines open and the game on a cliffhanger. The Jak and Daxter series is Naughty Dog's only series that has ever warranted a sequel, even more-so with the studio being such a focused story-driven developer, a proud one at that (something Neil felt the need to publicly reiterate recently). All that entitles and makes Jak the only necessary ND IP that deserves a sequel, as that series storyline was never actually, properly concluded. It's their single unfinished story. U3 especially and TLOU had and has no valid reasoning for a continuation outside financial gains and the developer sticking to their creative comfort zone. Uncharted 4's story premise being built on a blatant asspull, and worse, demanding its acceptance—despite not being established in any capacity throughout any of the four games that came before—reinforces that. "And now you have a brother? Who are you?" —Elena Fisher. 

That premise would have been fine or much better for a new IP.

It goes without saying that, while not a bad (or amazing) game, Uncharted: The Lost Legacy is yet another inessential installment. The few generally good and superior qualities it has over U4 doesn't change that. The gameplay is mostly identical, the protagonist choices and pairing comes across forced (especially the controversial Nadine, in multiple ways), and its story has never genuinely felt like a story that needed to be told. These things are just looked at for how they were executed and how much personal enjoyment came out of it, without consideration of was it necessary. In contrast to another first party Sony IP and story expansion, which has primarily served as Lost Legacy's compared example, inFAMOUS's First Light has felt like and is a necessary addition to the inFAMOUS universe. Somehow it's perfectly fine, welcomed with fully open arms, for Uncharted to keep getting sequel after sequel, but it's absolutely horrible and despicable for other (fairly popular, fairly high quality) series to receive similar treatment. It's such an annoying bias and corrupt double standard, especially when the reasonings used for being against the other series is utterly applicable to Uncharted as well. Uncharted isn't an interesting enough universe to justify full on sequels continuously, especially at this exact point in the timeline and with how repetitively formulaic it's been. When it was a new IP a couple of follow-ups wasn't the worse idea, especially to refine the formula. Now, after so many iterations and some refinements, it's just milking the cow, with or without Nathan Drake Morgan. The series has also been seeing some unfavorable changes, such as regressed melee combat, egregious padding designs, and aggressive microtransaction practices. (TLOU series is already guilty of the last two things on just its first two entries.)

Uncharted took up almost the entire seventh generation of Naughty Dog's game development (with The Last of Us barely making it out and releasing the same year as the next generation console). That was okay back then because they created the Uncharted IP that generation, were able to generally develop more games, and even managed to make another new IP (TLOU), even though it wasn't too different from Uncharted in the way new IPs traditionally are and burrowed a ton of assets (confirmed) from Uncharted to make. Then the next generation comes. The whole life cycle was nearly identical to the previous generation, with less overall new—Uncharted—games developed (which is another point to consider). First thing was TLOU being remastered for next gen hardware, but and so that obviously doesn't count in terms of new games and new ideas. Their first new game was a Uncharted sequel. The game right after that was. . . another (AAA) Uncharted, also a project multiple developers claimed was the absolute worse crunch they've ever experienced. Their next and last game that generation was finally the overdue—in terms of timing, not necessity—TLOU sequel, TLOU2, once again releasing the same year as the next generation console just like its predecessor.    That's two consecutive generations of Uncharted, multiple Uncharted installments per generation, and that IP in the spotlight, over everything else. Seventh generation? Acceptable. Eighth generation? Disappointing and not the type of direction that should be further encouraged for following generations. The present generation is the ninth and ND actually already has their hands full with multiple TLOU projects in the works, which are partly due to seemingly unforeseen issues from last generation. At the same time it's also a fact, which needs to be taken more into consideration, that ND aren't a capable enough studio internally to simultaneously develop even two significant games at the same time, especially at the blatant unhealthy rate they've been going. Anyway, so this generation is at least starting in TLOU's favor whether it was the plan or not. Besides an inevitable TLOU3 that will come at some point, that, optimistically, leaves room for at least one non-TLOU game. Uncharted already had its time during its debut generation and then overstayed its welcome the following generation, so why support the series further when all it will do is lead to making and/or remaking more Uncharted after Uncharted. That's a waste of time (theirs and consumers') and the talent the studio does possess, and it's actively against exploring new territory. Despite being the lesser evil in comparison, the energy had been better directed at the TLOU IP since the last generation, especially after P2 was announced and established that this IP is not safe from getting sequels and will not be standalone. The eighth generation should have seen zero or one Uncharted game at best and TLOU2 much earlier on, but the literal opposite happened. So, less Uncharted means actual opportunities for new things, as well as other existing IPs that actually deserve to be revisited. So that's the train I'm on and more people should be on, especially with how much more difficult and time consuming game development is nowadays. 

That said, if they're able to and commits to another Uncharted this generation the only real interesting take would be to focus on a historical time-period. This modern-era stuff has gotten stale, predictable, and repetitive. A new modern story omitting Nathan and instead following Charlie, Sam, or Cassie, etc, is not remotely enough. It wouldn't change much at all and would just be too similar to Lost Legacy. They've confined themselves within this safe zone with modern shooters for too long now and should take a page from games like Far Cry Primal, Call of Duty: World War II, and a studio who made both the modern-based Grand Theft Auto and, more importantly, the historical-based Red Dead Redemption/II. Design a selection of older century weapons useable for a change. Let me explore and experience a historical world, something that the entire series has only ever teased and talked about but never actually visited. Present and educate me on historical topics, events, and characters and craft a solid narrative around that. That'd be interesting and different enough for me to look into.

Only other thing I'd probably support is a game with Sully as the lead character. (Yes, I know Naughty Dog are against white male protagonists now, especially "bad" ones, but Sully is the second best or maybe the best Uncharted character, and he was already robbed when ND unsurprisingly chose to make a game around Chloe & Nadine instead.) Preferably set in the past (especially so the character, as the old, perverted, crooked bad white man that he is, is safe from "justice"), which makes the most sense to me. That's it. Do not care for Cassie or her shoehorned uncle at all. It's not like the gameplay in the Uncharted series benefits from using different leads anyway, unlike say Borderlands, inFAMOUS, etc.

There's also already that Indiana Jones game in development. There's the Prince of Persia remake as well, and whatever else.