rjkclarke's Carnival of Diamonds and Rust

rjkclarke

Do you think if I were to nip one of these games that a litter of purrfect cat puns would grab me by the collar?

I certainly hope not.

There is no rush for MGSV! You are under no obligation whatsoever my friend, I'm just grateful that it's on your list?

Wait... do you mean Stewart Copeland as in the drummer from The Police? He does video game soundtracks?? I'm shook. Other than that, I just say you've dissuaded me from trying out Legend of Kay. Before someone else says this...

2 hours ago, rjkclarke said:

In Legend of Kay you play as the eponymous Kay, well rather obviously I suppose – it’d have been pretty odd if you fired up the game thinking, I can’t wait to see what Kay’s like as a character and then an anthropomorphic cat shows up and says “ Hey I’m Clive, and I’ll be your hero."

..it worked for Legend of Zelda. Although it makes me picture an indignant young boy.

"Oh, hi! You must be Zelda."

"What?? Zelda's a GIRL. I'm LINK."

Nothing wrong with a rough difficulty but for bad Asian accents, a protagonist with a bad attitude (man what a buzzword that was for characters in the 90s/00s), and cat boobs are not things that make the effort sound worthwhile!

Cat Quest sounds cute, I might take a peek at that. And I'm definitely looking up Stewart Copeland soundtracks!

You joined the cancer challenge too? Hell yeah! I need to officially follow the thread, I just kinda jumped in?

• Like 1

19 hours ago, YaManSmevz said:

Do you think if I were to nip one of these games that a litter of purrfect cat puns would grab me by the collar?

I certainly hope not.

There is no rush for MGSV! You are under no obligation whatsoever my friend, I'm just grateful that it's on your list1f601.png

Wait... do you mean Stewart Copeland as in the drummer from The Police? He does video game soundtracks?? I'm shook. Other than that, I just say you've dissuaded me from trying out Legend of Kay. Before someone else says this...

Sorry for the late reply - I'm going to blame confusion, my brain was telling me I'd replied to this but I hadn't! STOOOOOPID! I should probably sleep more to be fair.

I suspect if you played Cat Quest you might be throwing a few cat puns out there - I sure did,and I'm not usually the biggest fan of  puns, but that game is so damn charming that you just kind of get swept along with the charm.

That's cool then, it's next on the list MGSV - well outside of anything new that I might complete between now and the review coming out.

Yep- the very same Stewart Copeland - he's also done quite a few film scores too, including Highlander II - which the tag-line "there can be only one" really should have been reappropriated to talk about the films and just read "There should be only one" - Even if I do have a slight softspot for Highlander: Endgame. ?

His work on Spyro was pretty damn awesome to be honest - and plus he didn't have to work with that fanny Sting - I'd much rather work with the wrestler Sting if I had a choice.... I'm sure Musician Sting is nice enough, but do we all need to know about his tantric sex life in great detail... I think not ?

I don't think I feel bad about dissuading you away from Legend of Kay, I'm always going to be honest about what I'm playing, even if that is a tad brutal sometimes.  There are far better uses of your time than spending 20+ hours playing that, I played it, so you don't have to rears its head again ?.  It's fine, and perfectly serviceable,  but when time is so precious, fine just isn't quite enough sometimes is it?

..it worked for Legend of Zelda. Although it makes me picture an indignant young boy.

"Oh, hi! You must be Zelda."

"What?? Zelda's a GIRL. I'm LINK."

I hate to say it - but I was that exact indignant young boy you described - except by that point I was also very fat and had two chins, so add that to your picture ?.... Ocarina of Time was my first proper Zelda title, although I think I may have had one on the Gameboy too, but I never really played it I don't think - my Gameboy saw Tetris, Pokemon and practically any Star Wars game I could find for it, oh and Battleships funnily enough, but not a whole lot else.

When I played Ocarina of Time the first time I'm fairly sure I either named my character Zelda, or my own name - and was like waaaaah when I met Zelda and found out that she was Zelda.

The more you know eh...... Haha!

Nothing wrong with a rough difficulty but for bad Asian accents, a protagonist with a bad attitude (man what a buzzword that was for characters in the 90s/00s), and cat boobs are not things that make the effort sound worthwhile!

Cat Quest sounds cute, I might take a peek at that. And I'm definitely looking up Stewart Copeland soundtracks!

You joined the cancer challenge too? Hell yeah! I need to officially follow the thread, I just kinda jumped in

I agree - I'm fine with a rough difficulty if it's fair - and it isn't something like the camera that screws you more often than the actual difficulty.

I was being fairly kind about the protagonist,more than he deserved -  he just exudes douchebag vibes - I honestly can't think of very many more arrogant characters I've found in a video game than him.

Cat Quest is awesome dude - It's one of those type of games that almost takes you aback by how pleasant and enjoyable the experience is - nothing in it is ever long enough to outstay it's welcome, and the Christmas DLC that they added for free is really funny. I really need to pick up the second one actually. So I'd definitely recommend that one - easy platinum yes, but a hell of an enjoyable one.

I did join that Cancer event yeah -  actually fairly early on too, I just didn't quite have any progress towards it until now - I probably should have held off on playing Hue for a couple of days because if I'd thought about it, that would have counted for a pink. I also gave @DrBloodmoney a friendly little nudge in the direction of his recent Ratchet and Clank revisit as both of those games are a pink and an orange. Although Doc had already joined the event anyway

Great to see you've joined that event  too - like I said in the actual event thread - if we can all get together and do something positive whilst enjoying doing something we all love - what's not to like about that.

We'll all be making some kind of a difference even if it might not feel like it. Watching people you love suffering makes you feel so helpless, especially when those people just show so much amazing character and will to fight. It's heartbreaking, so however hard I have to push myself, to complete as much as possible over the next month, I'm absolutely going to try and do as much as I can. So I really  hope plenty more people  join that event.

Edited by rjkclarke
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, rjkclarke said:

Yep- the very same Stewart Copeland - he's also done quite a few film scores too, including Highlander II - which the tag-line "there can be only one" really should have been reappropriated to talk about the films and just read "There should be only one" - Even if I do have a slight softspot for Highlander: Endgame. 1f913.png

I'll be damned. Y'know, one of the things on the "if I was rich" list has always been to purchase a Toyota Highlander and drove around in it with the windows down, constantly singing at the top of my lungs "WHO WAAAANTS TO LIIIIIVE FOORREEVEEEEERRRRRR???!!!!!"

His work on Spyro was pretty damn awesome to be honest - and plus he didn't have to work with that fanny Sting - I'd much rather work with the wrestler Sting if I had a choice.... I'm sure Musician Sting is nice enough, but do we all need to know about his tantric sex life in great detail... I think not 1f606.png

I imagine the following scenarios..

Musician Sting: "I've always felt strongly about charity, particularly helping children. Which reminds me of the obscene amount of tantric sex I have."

Wrestler Sting: "Hey, you wanna watch The Crow? How about some Kiss concert DVDs? Then I can show you how I did my makeup in the late 90s, it was so cool."

I think I'd have to pass on both to be honest!

I don't think I feel bad about dissuading you away from Legend of Kay, I'm always going to be honest about what I'm playing, even if that is a tad brutal sometimes.  There are far better uses of your time than spending 20+ hours playing that, I played it, so you don't have to rears its head again 1f605.png.  It's fine, and perfectly serviceable,  but when time is so precious, fine just isn't quite enough sometimes is it?

That's how I look at it - sure, I want to complete games and get platinum trophies to eat my cereal out of, but enjoyment is so important. It doesn't have to be fun 100% of the time, but as you pointed out, time is equally valuable as it is finite, and there are just too many great games out there to be spending your time on okay ones.

Ocarina of Time was my first proper Zelda title

Fuck, I'm old.

I did join that Cancer event yeah -  actually fairly early on too, I just didn't quite have any progress towards it until now - I probably should have held off on playing Hue for a couple of days because if I'd thought about it, that would have counted for a pink. I also gave @DrBloodmoney a friendly little nudge in the direction of his recent Ratchet and Clank revisit as both of those games are a pink and an orange. Although Doc had already joined the event anyway

Great to see you've joined that event  too - like I said in the actual event thread - if we can all get together and do something positive whilst enjoying doing something we all love - what's not to like about that.

We'll all be making some kind of a difference even if it might not feel like it. Watching people you love suffering makes you feel so helpless, especially when those people just show so much amazing character and will to fight. It's heartbreaking, so however hard I have to push myself, to complete as much as possible over the next month, I'm absolutely going to try and do as much as I can. So I really  hope plenty more people  join that event.

I did my due diligence and was quite happy to see a few homies in the mix - yourself included, naturally!

I saw the experience you brought up, which I'm so glad you shared. Humbled by a lot of what I've read there, really! I've been tremendously fortunate - three big cancer scares in my family, all thankfully caught in time - but it's so important to remember that many people do not get that luxury. I hope for more to join as well!

7 hours ago, rjkclarke said:

A Soaking Wet New 100%

Abzu

L0ac77d.png

Fantastic stuff, man. I've thought of writing a review on this game a few times, but what with it being so chill, I didn't know what to do with it! You've done a superb job as always, and really reminded me what I liked about it in the first place!

Swimming around, free to observe all the quiet beauty around you, is such a treat as it is - but once you have company to swim along, particularly the larger creatures you encounter later, it's crazy how attached you get, how much childlike joy there is to be had, and how calming and soothing the experience generally is.

Music is excellent (as are the sound effects), and you've done the impossible - making me want to revisit Erica, even if only for the soundtrack!

• Like 1

On 10/16/2021 at 0:19 AM, rjkclarke said:

A Feline Flavoured New Platinum, my 350th Completion and a Bonus Review!

Congrats for the clunky platinum! I saw some Legend of Kay gameplay and  this one instantly reminded me of Mini Ninjas, the style is somewhat similar. Only difference is...Mini Ninjas has no real flaws other than being a super simple game. I doubt I would ever play Legend of Kay in comparison xD 

However Cat Quest...that was a GOOD game. Damn I loved that game. It's mad easy, I was even thinking that I was playing a mobile game at first, but hot damn it was one charming little game. I can vouch for Cat Quest 2 being just as good as the first one. 

I don't know, the games were wholesome!

I also saw you mentioned Letter Quest, that was a fun game too! I played it mostly because it reminded me of old Bookworm Adventures games on PC and Scrabble is one personal favorite game of mine so this was a no brainer (except it needed brain to complete).

Can't wait to see what you'll tackle next!

• Like 1

Ah, Cat Quest - who would have thought that the bizarre intersection between Deathspank, Rainbow Moon and Child of Light would have such a feline slant?

The game is so much better that it should be on paper - just super satisfying from start to finish!

Great write up on Abzu also - I loved that game, it's funny how often that got described at the time as "Journey but underwater" - which was rote and derivative of course, but then, I guess to a certain contingent of the audience "Journey-like" is a synonym for "Machinegunless" ?

It's such a great game to look at - I always thought they missed a trick with that one - they should have included some kind of screensaver mode, where it just kind of played itself with the Austin Wintery music playing, and let you just use it to meditate on.

• Like 1

Binged 20 pages: check.

Enjoyed 20 pages: check.

Got things to talk about: check.

On 21/05/2021 at 11:23 AM, rjkclarke said:

The Remaster

Platinum #314

Shadow of the Colossus (PS3)

L86eeaa.png

The Remake

Platinum #316

Shadow of the Colossus (PS4)

Leb6b0f.png

Level with me: just how much harder are the Time Attacks for the PS3 version?

It really just comes down to Colossi 3 and 11, right? How long did it take you to get through the PS3 trophy list?

I've finished the PS4 version very recently so I have that to reference in my own mind. 

It's just that the visuals, and far more importantly, the controls of the PS3 version have aged like a fine milk. 

It's a shame that the harder trophy list wasn't for the PS4 version rather than the other way around... I might have them stacked by now if that was the case.

On 07/07/2021 at 5:55 AM, rjkclarke said:

Platinum #311

Stories: The Path of Destinies (PS4)

Lba8c60.png

I find it really astounding that this wasn't ported to the Vita first and then the PS4 later, I think the gameplay loop of multiple short runs, between 20-40 minutes, really suits the pick up and play aspect of a handheld.

On 07/07/2021 at 5:55 AM, rjkclarke said:

The Gameplay and Trophy aspect of this is one of the more questionable areas of [the game, which] absolutely rains down trophies on you within the first 5 hours or so of the game, think I had about 63%ish trophy completion by about that point. after that point though the game becomes a desert for trophies with the odd oasis in-between and then the Platinum just looms in the distance like a mirage as you have no choice but to slowly crawl towards it. I think this is more where peoples frustrations about the game being tedious probably come from.

You perfectly worded the two biggest remarks that I had for this game. Nailed it IMO.

On 08/09/2021 at 2:47 AM, rjkclarke said:

Platinum #327

Final Fantasy IX (PS4)

L07514d.png

This little plotthread was an enjoyable struggle to keep up with. I'm glad you saw it through and made it in the end. 

Looking forward to the next review :)

• Like 2

On 17/10/2021 at 11:34 AM, YaManSmevz said:

I'll be damned. Y'know, one of the things on the "if I was rich" list has always been to purchase a Toyota Highlander and drove around in it with the windows down, constantly singing at the top of my lungs "WHO WAAAANTS TO LIIIIIVE FOORREEVEEEEERRRRRR???!!!!!"

To be fair man - that would be pretty sick..... I think I'd have to whack on Princes of the Universe too, that's another decent little Queen banger from Highlander!

Great - now I want to go and watch Highlander..... Guess that's my later on sorted, maybe.

I imagine the following scenarios..

Musician Sting: "I've always felt strongly about charity, particularly helping children. Which reminds me of the obscene amount of tantric sex I have."

Wrestler Sting: "Hey, you wanna watch The Crow? How about some Kiss concert DVDs? Then I can show you how I did my makeup in the late 90s, it was so cool."

I think I'd have to pass on both to be honest!

Yeah - but I mean if you had to........ Haha ?.....Say - if you didn't somebody would shave a cat and then use it to play Tennis with if you didn't at least pick one...

I'd still take Wrestler Sting if there was a choice. Although maybe not if we had to watch Kiss concert DVD's........ If we got Surfer Sting, back when he seemed like he had so much energy he must have been fuelled solely by Cocaine, then he might be at least a little more fun than "Look how long I've been shagging for lately" Sting.

That's how I look at it - sure, I want to complete games and get platinum trophies to eat my cereal out of, but enjoyment is so important. It doesn't have to be fun 100% of the time, but as you pointed out, time is equally valuable as it is finite, and there are just too many great games out there to be spending your time on okay ones.

Now that I'm revisiting some of my backlog, I'm starting to notice that there's probably a fairly valid reason in some cases why I hadn't bothered to revisit them up to this point - but hey, I don't know if I don't try I suppose.

You're absolutely right too, focus on the good ones and you'll have a much more productive time.

Fuck, I'm old.

You aren't that much older than me, I'll share a story that proves age is just a number - I did have a SNES too,  I just don't think I ever had the urge as a youngster to really want to play Zelda on that format - even though it looks like I was missing out on a hell of a good time.

Right so, here's the thing, don't  let anything like that make you feel old - here's why, my Grandfather, is currently 89, he's 90 next year, and still works five days a week on a farm, not because he has to, but because he wants to. That definitely proves age is just a number.

So whenever something like that Zelda statement makes you feel old - just remember you're still actively doing something you've been enjoying for a long time and see that as a positive.

Even though I'm pretty sure you were saying that just for the smiles - which it got.

I did my due diligence and was quite happy to see a few homies in the mix - yourself included, naturally!

I saw the experience you brought up, which I'm so glad you shared. Humbled by a lot of what I've read there, really! I've been tremendously fortunate - three big cancer scares in my family, all thankfully caught in time - but it's so important to remember that many people do not get that luxury. I hope for more to join as well!

Fingers crossed, right!

I felt like I had to share that - even if I didn't really go into too much detail, it's not something I'd really had to deal with very much until this year, and it's so damn cruel. I'm glad that the scares you had in your family were all caught in time, that's great to hear. 

Unfortunately  it just does make you feel helpless, so at least with that event I'll feel like I'm helping in some way. That should be more than enough to keep me motivated.

Fantastic stuff, man. I've thought of writing a review on this game a few times, but what with it being so chill, I didn't know what to do with it! You've done a superb job as always, and really reminded me what I liked about it in the first place!

Swimming around, free to observe all the quiet beauty around you, is such a treat as it is - but once you have company to swim along, particularly the larger creatures you encounter later, it's crazy how attached you get, how much childlike joy there is to be had, and how calming and soothing the experience generally is.

Music is excellent (as are the sound effects), and you've done the impossible - making me want to revisit Erica, even if only for the soundtrack!

Thanks man! That started out as a pretty short little review, and then I just got carried away waxing lyrical about how good I thought it was.

You should totally write one though, I'd love to hear your detailed thoughts on it.

I did not expect to love that game quite as much as I did - but I'm so glad that I've played it now,

I felt exactly the same, it's exactly as you say a "childlike joy" that's a pretty perfect description I'd say.

Just go and listen to the soundtrack of Erica if you feel the need...... ? You'd almost certainly find yourself back being frustrated within about ten minutes - or at around the point where you meet the girl that goes a bit loopy if you step on the carpet she's just hoovered - after that you'll probably just nope yourself away like Spider-Man escaping a burning building.

14 hours ago, Copanele said:

Congrats for the clunky platinum! I saw some Legend of Kay gameplay and  this one instantly reminded me of Mini Ninjas, the style is somewhat similar. Only difference is...Mini Ninjas has no real flaws other than being a super simple game. I doubt I would ever play Legend of Kay in comparison xD 

However Cat Quest...that was a GOOD game. Damn I loved that game. It's mad easy, I was even thinking that I was playing a mobile game at first, but hot damn it was one charming little game. I can vouch for Cat Quest 2 being just as good as the first one. 

I don't know, the games were wholesome!

I also saw you mentioned Letter Quest, that was a fun game too! I played it mostly because it reminded me of old Bookworm Adventures games on PC and Scrabble is one personal favorite game of mine so this was a no brainer (except it needed brain to complete).

Can't wait to see what you'll tackle next!

Well, if that's the case is Mini Ninja's worth picking up? A friend of mine keeps nudging me in the direction of that game - if the gameplay is like Legend of Kay that could at least be halfway fun.

You'd also be making the smart decision by skipping over Legend of Kay too, I'm gonna borrow one of Doc's lines that I keep using now, and again say "I played it,so you don't have to." xD

I think Cat Quest 2 might be on sale right now, so I might have to go pick that one up - I was pretty much in the same boat as you and Doc, that it's just ridiculously charming, incredibly simple and had no business being as good as it is. Still I'm super happy it was.

I'm a bit of a scrabble fan myself, although I've not played it for a while. My Mum is an absolute beast at scrabble.

All it took was basically a few words to convince me on Letter Quest - which was Scrabble mixed with RPG.It doesn't have much of a story to speak of sure, but I got hours of fun out of, and it does make you use your brain a tad, which is always nice to keep the grey matter whirring right?

I'm actually going to tackle Lovers in a Dangerous Spacetime next, I have no expectations going into it, so I'm just going to see what sort of a time I have with it, I'm literally only playing it, because it's one of the few games I think I have quick access to that has pink in the thumbnail for the Trophies to Fight Cancer event. So that'll likely be the next game you see me write about in here, unless I miraculously finish that MGSV review beforehand.... Who knows -not enough hours in the day :dunno:....

13 hours ago, DrBloodmoney said:

Ah, Cat Quest - who would have thought that the bizarre intersection between Deathspank, Rainbow Moon and Child of Light would have such a feline slant?

The game is so much better that it should be on paper - just super satisfying from start to finish!

That's an interesting take.... so Cat Quest is a little like those titles, huh? I've had Child of Light  Installed for years, and never touched that yet. Interesting..... You haven't applied science to Rainbow Moon yet have you? or did I just miss that one - I'll check later, and appropriately look like a fanny. Either way, I might have to make a request about that one, because I've always been on the fence about Rainbow Moon because of the time commitment, but I equally haven't played a game like that in ages, and feel like I probably should.

That was what I found with Cat Quest too, just super satisfying, I just couldn't get enough of it, and then when it was over I still wanted more, it honestly was just so much better than it had any business being.

13 hours ago, DrBloodmoney said:

Great write up on Abzu also - I loved that game, it's funny how often that got described at the time as "Journey but underwater" - which was rote and derivative of course, but then, I guess to a certain contingent of the audience "Journey-like" is a synonym for "Machinegunless" 1f602.png

It's such a great game to look at - I always thought they missed a trick with that one - they should have included some kind of screensaver mode, where it just kind of played itself with the Austin Wintery music playing, and let you just use it to meditate on.

Thanks mate.

I expected you probably would have liked it - although as a fellow (but less well versed,) puzzle enthusiast myself, I did wonder if you might have been thinking " come on, can we have some actual puzzles please."

I haven't ever played Journey, so I have two questions..... Is Abzu like Journey? And, should I play Journey? It's another one of those games I probably should have played, but haven't managed to yet. I do own it too, so it's not like I have to go out of my way for it.

That would have been a great feature by the way, good shout -  it would have been perfect on those meditation statues too, that you could just go there, pick a track sit back and relax - I would have loved that, because it is some of the most peaceful music I've ever listened to. Reminded me of Tim Wheater in places, who's an awesome musician that makes some really great meditation music that I listen to myself quite frequently.

11 hours ago, GonzoWARgasm said:

Binged 20 pages: check.

Enjoyed 20 pages: check.

Got things to talk about: check.

Wow! That's great to hear!

Thanks for doing that - I would never have expected people to go back through the entire thing, and read through it all..... That must have taken a while? So thanks for taking the time to do it...

I can't quite believe it's actually reached 20 pages already -  but hey, it's been a hell of a fun experience so far, so I'm looking forward to that continuing.

Seriously though - thanks for reading through all of that -  that means a lot.

Level with me: just how much harder are the Time Attacks for the PS3 version?

It really just comes down to Colossi 3 and 11, right? How long did it take you to get through the PS3 trophy list?

I've finished the PS4 version very recently so I have that to reference in my own mind. 

It's just that the visuals, and far more importantly, the controls of the PS3 version have aged like a fine milk. 

It's a shame that the harder trophy list wasn't for the PS4 version rather than the other way around... I might have them stacked by now if that was the case.

I don't think they are that much harder....... They are a bit tougher, and you do basically have to learn a speedrunning trick with Colossi 3 to be able to do it in ample time - although, possibly not, because I learnt that trick, and still had about a minute to spare.

3, 6 and 11 are definitely the hardest ones, and 15, is a little tricky too, but I don't see 6 and 15 get discussed too much so that could be just me.

What helped me with the hard time attacks, was learning not to be too greedy with the charge stabs, sometimes it's easier to just not do fully charged ones, as you can get them off a little bit faster. Considering how easy it is for the Colossi to get stuck in their shaking animations on the PS3 version, it's almost easier to do chip damage to some of them and get their weak points that way.

Honestly the controls aren't all that much different in the PS3 version - they're just a whole lot more floaty, but definitely inferior Wander seems even more like he's a balloon in that one.

If you're jumping straight from the PS4 version that'll probably help, there's just things that will take longer, like you can't switch between difficulties on NG+ runs so you do lose some quality of life improvements, so it takes a whole lot longer to max your stamina bar. But I do worry it's going to feel like a huge step down to play that version after the PS4 one.... Oh and you have to get all the fruit and lizards this time - which don't think was a requirement in the PS4 version.

So it's up to you on that one - I mean it's a fairly rare platinum if you're into the whole Ultra Rare plats thing. So that's another +1 maybe.

On Stories: Path of Destinies

you perfectly worded the two biggest remarks that I had for this game. Nailed it IMO.

Haha thanks!

Have you played Omensight? That's by the same devs..... To be honest, whilst the whole trophy experience is a bit underwhelming in Stories, I liked what they were trying, so I wouldn't mind seeing what they did in another game. I think there was a whole lot of potential there, and I could see the love that went into making Stories.

Unfortunately that game just never seems to go on sale, I'm a bit too stingy to pay full price for it... ?

Final Fantasy IX was quite the adventure huh? I really enjoyed sharing the entire thing with everyone here, just made it all the more memorable for me I think.... I absolutely loved that game so much. So I'm glad you enjoyed reading that one...

Thanks for jumping onboard, it'll be great to have you here - hopefully it won't be too long before the next review. My PC monitor would say otherwise, as it decided to completely die on me this afternoon - but hey it had a good run!

Catch you all on the next one!

Edited by rjkclarke
  • Like 3

6 hours ago, rjkclarke said:

I don't think they are that much harder....... They are a bit tougher, and you do basically have to learn a speedrunning trick with Colossi 3 to be able to do it in ample time - although, possibly not, because I learnt that trick, and still had about a minute to spare.

3, 6 and 11 are definitely the hardest ones, and 15, is a little tricky too, but I don't see 6 and 15 get discussed too much so that could be just me.

What helped me with the hard time attacks, was learning not to be too greedy with the charge stabs, sometimes it's easier to just not do fully charged ones, as you can get them off a little bit faster. Considering how easy it is for the Colossi to get stuck in their shaking animations on the PS3 version, it's almost easier to do chip damage to some of them and get their weak points that way.

Honestly the controls aren't all that much different in the PS3 version - they're just a whole lot more floaty, but definitely inferior Wander seems even more like he's a balloon in that one.

If you're jumping straight from the PS4 version that'll probably help, there's just things that will take longer, like you can't switch between difficulties on NG+ runs so you do lose some quality of life improvements, so it takes a whole lot longer to max your stamina bar. But I do worry it's going to feel like a huge step down to play that version after the PS4 one.... Oh and you have to get all the fruit and lizards this time - which don't think was a requirement in the PS4 version.

So it's up to you on that one - I mean it's a fairly rare platinum if you're into the whole Ultra Rare plats thing. So that's another +1 maybe.

Hmmm, lots to think about. I won't jump into it right now... maybe if I need another game for next year's UR completionist thread, because I think I'll sign up for it as my first community... thingy. 

It sounds like a pain in the ass: PS2/PS3 don't really hold up for a variety of reasons as you detailed.

6 hours ago, rjkclarke said:

On Stories: Path of Destinies

Haha thanks!

Have you played Omensight? That's by the same devs..... To be honest, whilst the whole trophy experience is a bit underwhelming in Stories, I liked what they were trying, so I wouldn't mind seeing what they did in another game. I think there was a whole lot of potential there, and I could see the love that went into making Stories.

Unfortunately that game just never seems to go on sale, I'm a bit too stingy to pay full price for it... 1f606.png

I haven't. I had a look at it when Smevz mentioned it in his checklist... I think I'll pass on Omensight. Stories was good but not so good to carry a spin-off when I wasn't enraptured by the Omensight trailer.

Best of luck with a new monitor, I'll see you in the next update.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, rjkclarke said:

That's an interesting take.... so Cat Quest is a little like those titles, huh? I've had Child of Light  Installed for years, and never touched that yet. Interesting..... You haven't applied science to Rainbow Moon yet have you? or did I just miss that one - I'll check later, and appropriately look like a fanny. Either way, I might have to make a request about that one, because I've always been on the fence about Rainbow Moon because of the time commitment, but I equally haven't played a game like that in ages, and feel like I probably should.

That was what I found with Cat Quest too, just super satisfying, I just couldn't get enough of it, and then when it was over I still wanted more, it honestly was just so much better than it had any business being.

I wouldn't necesarily say its too similar to any of those titles exactly, (probably the Deathspank games are closest), but there is some of them in it's DNA I think. The gameplay, with the short, snappy mission structure, the world design and the map especially are quite reminiscent of Deathspank and it's sequels, that really crisp, clean, almost iOS-style aesthetic did remind me of Rainbow Moon, and the charm and cuteness of the writing had some Child of Light vibes to me!

I haven't done Rainbow Moon in the science rankings yet... but it qualifies, so soon enough!

Child if Light is totally worth playing BTW - it's short and sweet, and certainly not a big challenge, but it's got a lot of personality, a combat system that is way more solid than you might expect from a small game like it - and some truly awesome music!:

Thanks mate.

I expected you probably would have liked it - although as a fellow (but less well versed,) puzzle enthusiast myself, I did wonder if you might have been thinking " come on, can we have some actual puzzles please."

Haha, I can see that, though even as a puzzle game enthusiast, I can totally recognise where more puzzle-puzzles would be a detriment to a game, and I suspect that as soon as the puzzles became genuine head scratchers in a game like Abzu, the meditative experience would dissipate. I think the fact that they amount to "find a thing" means that it sticks to what Abzu is best equipped to handle - showing you some cool stuff, and having it feel like personal discovery!

I haven't ever played Journey, so I have two questions..... Is Abzu like Journey? And, should I play Journey? It's another one of those games I probably should have played, but haven't managed to yet. I do own it too, so it's not like I have to go out of my way for it.

That would have been a great feature by the way, good shout -  it would have been perfect on those meditation statues too, that you could just go there, pick a track sit back and relax - I would have loved that, because it is some of the most peaceful music I've ever listened to. Reminded me of Tim Wheater in places, who's an awesome musician that makes some really great meditation music that I listen to myself quite frequently.

You know, Abzu really isn't as close to Journey as a lot of reviews would have you believe, but I do think they are both great. They definitely both play with that same "lost in beauty" kind of area - minimal explanation, but heavy on visual awe... but Journey is much more obviously and specifically metaphorical and allegorical in it's message.

Journey has a lot more to it in terms of the 'drop in/ drop out' co-op aspect, and it does some really cool stuff there - the fact that it never gives the option to communicate genuinely (it not only doesn't allow voice work, it also never gives you the psnIDs of the people you played with until after the credits,) but personally, the visuals of Abzu were more interesting to me.

They both feel like you are there for the journey and the experience though, and both have great music! 

• Like 3

50 minutes ago, DrBloodmoney said:

You know, Abzu really isn't as close to Journey as a lot of reviews would have you believe, but I do think they are both great. They definitely both play with that same "lost in beauty" kind of area - minimal explanation, but heavy on visual awe... but Journey is much more obviously and specifically metaphorical and allegorical in it's message.

Journey has a lot more to it in terms of the 'drop in/ drop out' co-op aspect, and it does some really cool stuff there - the fact that it never gives the option to communicate genuinely (it not only doesn't allow voice work, it also never gives you the psnIDs of the people you played with until after the credits,) but personally, the visuals of Abzu were more interesting to me.

They both feel like you are there for the journey and the experience though, and both have great music! 

I agree with all of this except that I also think Journey wins out on the visual-front too.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, GonzoWARgasm said:

I agree with all of this except that I also think Journey wins out on the visual-front too.

I can see the argument - certainly, I think Journey's 'aesthetic high point' (The sand surfing) is more visually stunning than any point Abzu reaches, however, the overall effect of the visuals of Abzu were more consistently interesting to me...

... that's a personal thing though - my favourite episodes of Planet Earth and those kind of programmes is always the coral reef / shallow water ones, so I suppose that factored in a bit! ?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, DrBloodmoney said:

Child if Light is totally worth playing BTW - it's short and sweet, and certainly not a big challenge, but it's got a lot of personality, a combat system that is way more solid than you might expect from a small game like it - and some truly awesome music!:

Man, we seem to disagree more often than not ? I really wished I could agree with you on that statement, but I found Child of Light incredibly boring. However, I don't know if you played the game solo, but I saw beforehand that it had some coop-component, and so I played it in local coop with Ms. Arc... 

It was disappointing. The second player controls that stupid floating "tear" that can interact with enemies and certain objects. It was... pretty boring for the person controlling that thing. Eventually we just started skipping every single battle that we could avoid, and I couldn't wait for the game to finish. 

I feel like it had a lot of potential.. Artistically it is really beautiful, but the gameplay was... lacking? Meh. 

Maybe it was just the coop-experience, I dunno ? 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Arcesius said:

Man, we seem to disagree more often than not 1f602.png I really wished I could agree with you on that statement, but I found Child of Light incredibly boring. However, I don't know if you played the game solo, but I saw beforehand that it had some coop-component, and so I played it in local coop with Ms. Arc... 

It was disappointing. The second player controls that stupid floating "tear" that can interact with enemies and certain objects. It was... pretty boring for the person controlling that thing. Eventually we just started skipping every single battle that we could avoid, and I couldn't wait for the game to finish. 

I feel like it had a lot of potential.. Artistically it is really beautiful, but the gameplay was... lacking? Meh. 

Maybe it was just the coop-experience, I dunno 1f605.png 

The Sky is Blue.

(Sorry, just testing a theory...?)

I did play Child of Light solo - I can't imagine that co-op would be much fun for the second player, as you say, there isn't much for them to do! - but I loved it solo - so much I did it twice!

I really liked the battle mechanics, the manipulation of the 'time-treadmill' stuff with interrupts, and certainly the art and the music carried a lot of the good feelings, but fundamentally, I just liked the gameplay quite a bit :dunno:.

I'm a sucker for that fairytale aesthetic too though, which didn't hurt!

• Like 1

Hmmm, lots to think about. I won't jump into it right now... maybe if I need another game for next year's UR completionist thread, because I think I'll sign up for it as my first community... thingy. 

It sounds like a pain in the ass: PS2/PS3 don't really hold up for a variety of reasons as you detailed.

Unfortunately yeah - I knew I had to play that one first really, because I'd probably never want to go back and play the PS3 version,if I started with the remake....  I definitely didn't seem to have as rough or an irritating time with it as @DrBloodmoney seemed to, judging by how it faired against some science - although my time with it, was not exactly smooth either.

An event would definitely be a good place to try and tackle it I reckon - it'll give you a bit of extra incentive to try and get it done, it's actually working wonders for me at the moment - so I think you might be onto something there.

I haven't. I had a look at it when Smevz mentioned it in his checklist... I think I'll pass on Omensight. Stories was good but not so good to carry a spin-off when I wasn't enraptured by the Omensight trailer.

Best of luck with a new monitor, I'll see you in the next update.

I basically just saw Stories as a proof of concept of an interesting developer - I hadn't actually watched the Omensight trailer, and I did just now, and I was equally not enraptured by it myself..... I usually like games that try and carve out an interesting and well told lore, but literally nothing about that screamed fresh or exciting, it just looked a little bit too - for want of a better word - generic, which I really hate to say. Guess I might avoid that one myself, unless it's really dirt cheap.

Thankfully, I did have a spare Monitor - and this one doesn't give me eye strain - where it had a bunch of horrendous dead pixels stretching across the screen for days. So that's a bonus

7 hours ago, DrBloodmoney said:

Noted- even if it does seem a little bit divisive from the back and forth you and Arc had..... I wouldn't have been trying to play it co-op anyway, seems a bit much to ask one of my friends to come over to play a fairly short experience, if all they can expect to do is control a "tear drop thingie"...... So I'll play it solo, it looks nice and you know I love some awesome video game music, so that's an even bigger incentive I think.

even as a puzzle game enthusiast, I can totally recognise where more puzzle-puzzles would be a detriment to a game, and I suspect that as soon as the puzzles became genuine head scratchers in a game like Abzu, the meditative experience would dissipate. I think the fact that they amount to "find a thing" means that it sticks to what Abzu is best equipped to handle - showing you some cool stuff, and having it feel like personal discovery!

I think you're right on the money on that one - plus there's that thing that sometimes hampers puzzlers, where they dial down some of the difficulty of the puzzles to try and streamline the experience a bit more, or lengthen it in some cases - I wouldn't like it if Abzu had a load of crate puzzles or pressure plate puzzles for example. It just wouldn't of fit. What we got is actually what it should have been.

That's really interesting - thanks for the feedback.... One of my friends suggested playing it with me a while back, but then he remembered the likelihood of actually playing "together" is quite slim, so we thought about playing alongside in a party chat, and seeing if it was each other, it would have been fairly interesting, as he'd already played it, but I hadn't.

Journey sounds like a great use of co-op though, a pretty innovative one too - that you essentially have to rely on whoever you get paired off with.

The only experience I have with Journey, is the Scarf blokie, being a playable character in Super Time Force Ultra... Which I'd love a sequel to by the way, that game was real fun.

8 hours ago, DrBloodmoney said:

Really? ?

my favourite episodes of Planet Earth and those kind of programmes is always the coral reef / shallow water ones, so I suppose that factored in a bit!

I'm so glad you said shallow water, because man, some of those dark dank deep water ones - yeeesh no disrespect to some of those fishy fella's - but,  I saw one that looked either like Mr Blobby had melted, or a Clown's face made of blancmange.... Truly the stuff of nightmares! xD

....... Anyway

Weird fish aside - I think I actually have  a recommendation for you this time Doc (as you always seem to be the one finding me awesome things to play)..... Which is - Lovers in a Dangerous Spacetime, I couldn't find it on your list (or I missed it where I'm tired,) so I'm guessing you've not played it..... It's basically built for couch co-op - so you and your good lady might be able to have a really decent time with that..... I honestly had no expectations going into that game, and because I had nowhere to be today, I kind of erm........... Turned into a teenager for a night and played the entire thing in one sitting....

Now I'm running on about an hour and a half of sleep, and I feel that was a poor decision - but, that was a hell of a good time.That's from playing it solo as well, apart from the one mandatory 2 player trophy. It pretty much has no story to speak of, but the actual gameplay loop is quite satisfying, and very frantic, so I suspect it could be quite a laugh to play with other people - I'm going to write a review of it very soon, I just need to get the motivation going,  so I guess you can read about it in a bit more detail there if you wanted to.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, rjkclarke said:

Weird fish aside - I think I actually have  a recommendation for you this time Doc (as you always seem to be the one finding me awesome things to play)..... Which is - Lovers in a Dangerous Spacetime, I couldn't find it on your list (or I missed it where I'm tired,) so I'm guessing you've not played it..... It's basically built for couch co-op - so you and your good lady might be able to have a really decent time with that..... I honestly had no expectations going into that game, and because I had nowhere to be today, I kind of erm........... Turned into a teenager for a night and played the entire thing in one sitting....

Now I'm running on about an hour and a half of sleep, and I feel that was a poor decision - but, that was a hell of a good time.That's from playing it solo as well, apart from the one mandatory 2 player trophy. It pretty much has no story to speak of, but the actual gameplay loop is quite satisfying, and very frantic, so I suspect it could be quite a laugh to play with other people - I'm going to write a review of it very soon, I just need to get the motivation going,  so I guess you can read about it in a bit more detail there if you wanted to.

I saw you were playing that one! I must admit - I do have it, but have just never got around to it yet - co-op gaming has become a lot more difficult to find the time for in the past couple of years (as the anaemic progress we have made in It Takes Two is testament to! ?) but it's been sitting there in the 'possible' pile for so long - it'll be good to hear what you have to say on it!

• Like 1

Ha, glad to hear that you enjoyed LitDS! 

I had a similar experience, where I didnt know much about this game and randomly bought it while looking for something to play in couch-coop. It's one of the games I played with Ms. Arc, and in coop the game was a very fun experience :) For the both of us, too! As you say, the game is very easy, and it was even Ms. Arc who insisted on playing the game on some higher difficulty because "where is the fun in breezing through it" ? And that from a non-gamer. 

• Like 3

I saw you were playing that one! I must admit - I do have it, but have just never got around to it yet - co-op gaming has become a lot more difficult to find the time for in the past couple of years (as the anaemic progress we have made in It Takes Two is testament to! ?) but it's been sitting there in the 'possible' pile for so long - curse you, now it has to go back to the top of the pile! ?

• Like 2

3 hours ago, rjkclarke said:

Inspired by madbuk - and hugely grateful for the bit of technical enlightenment, I've now gone back and added a nice banner image, to every single review in the thread, along with adding the "A Few Trophy Stats" section to all of those as well.......

Must've taken you a while to do that for every review ? I checked some and as you said, it looks better aesthetically so I feel like it was a good investment of time ?

• Like 3

On 10/18/2021 at 1:41 PM, rjkclarke said:

Yeah - but I mean if you had to........ Haha 1f606.png.....Say - if you didn't somebody would shave a cat and then use it to play Tennis with if you didn't at least pick one...

Well, if we're talkin Mr. Bigglesworth Tennis (is there a developer around btw? I smell a sleeper hit), I'd probably go with wrestler Sting as well? I'd like to say musician Sting but it's difficult to picture terribly stimulating conversation. The wrestler would likely have far better stories too!

You aren't that much older than me, I'll share a story that proves age is just a number - I did have a SNES too,  I just don't think I ever had the urge as a youngster to really want to play Zelda on that format - even though it looks like I was missing out on a hell of a good time.

Right so, here's the thing, don't  let anything like that make you feel old - here's why, my Grandfather, is currently 89, he's 90 next year, and still works five days a week on a farm, not because he has to, but because he wants to. That definitely proves age is just a number.

So whenever something like that Zelda statement makes you feel old - just remember you're still actively doing something you've been enjoying for a long time and see that as a positive.

Even though I'm pretty sure you were saying that just for the smiles - which it got.

Firstly, I'm always glad to hear that. Makes my day if I can entertain in some way, sadly there are times where I'll try a bit too hard but putting a smile on someone's face always slaps one right back on mine!

However.

When you said SNES I couldn't help but cringe and think "noooo I was talkin NES and the OG game!"

I got a NES (apparently it's intended to be pronounced 'ness,' which still trips me out) when I was a very small boy, and there is video footage somewhere of a Christmas morning in the late 80s where my five year old self opens the box and goes ballistic. Good times?

You are right though - video games have brought me joy for *cough* years and there's not a damn thing bad about that!

I felt like I had to share that - even if I didn't really go into too much detail, it's not something I'd really had to deal with very much until this year, and it's so damn cruel. I'm glad that the scares you had in your family were all caught in time, that's great to hear. 

Unfortunately  it just does make you feel helpless, so at least with that event I'll feel like I'm helping in some way. That should be more than enough to keep me motivated.

It's good that you did - for the challenge, for your PSN brothas n sistas, and most importantly for yourself. And thank you, I can't tell you how grateful I am for how lucky we got, and how much I sympathize with those who didn't. It very much is an emotional cocktail of hopelessness, fear, and far too many other negative feelings. You put it well, it can do wonders for motivation.

Thanks for jumping onboard, it'll be great to have you here - hopefully it won't be too long before the next review. My PC monitor would say otherwise, as it decided to completely die on me this afternoon - but hey it had a good run!

Yo @GonzoWARgasm is a real one✊

Sorry to hear about your computer man, that ain't nice! Sadly though it's what they do...

On 10/18/2021 at 11:43 PM, DrBloodmoney said:

CO-OP??? Fuck, I might have to add Journey to the list. Didn't expect to enjoy Abzu as much as I did, but it's such a wonderful experience and it got me thinkin more about Journey (as you pointed out, they do seem to get lumped together). I do believe that concept alone has pushed my intrigue over the edge.

On 10/19/2021 at 2:35 PM, rjkclarke said:

LH7856ce.jpg

Platinum #332

Lovers in a Dangerous Spacetime (PS4)

L77b46d.png

This looks so cute! I love how down you were to just dive into this. It sounds like a great time, and I think you may have just gotten me to reach for my wallet!

On 10/20/2021 at 1:45 AM, Arcesius said:

Ha, glad to hear that you enjoyed LitDS! 

I had a similar experience, where I didnt know much about this game and randomly bought it while looking for something to play in couch-coop. It's one of the games I played with Ms. Arc, and in coop the game was a very fun experience :) For the both of us, too! As you say, the game is very easy, and it was even Ms. Arc who insisted on playing the game on some higher difficulty because "where is the fun in breezing through it" 1f602.png And that from a non-gamer. 

Nice! Maybe this will be something I can get Ms. Smevz to join me on - thanks for sharing that man, you've inspired me!

4 hours ago, rjkclarke said:

A not very important (probably only to me) Aesthetic Update.

Bruh. It's always an important update??

That's dope! I actually will go back and take a gander at the remastered versions, I'm curious as to how the new look treats them! Also I have a confession to make - after our discussion about editing posts, I thought about it and restructured the first post in my thread, and am so glad I did. You're definitely onto something - writing style (and dare I say, quality) progresses quite dramatically in these threads!

I need to pay better attention, I fall behind and then take up a whole page in the Clarke Times when I finally respond! Sorry about that!

• Like 4

5 hours ago, PlutoRico said:

Must've taken you a while to do that for every review 1f602.png I checked some and as you said, it looks better aesthetically so I feel like it was a good investment of time 1f601.png

Quite a while yeah..... I'm not sure I should say how much, I'm worried I'd sound like too much of a sad individual, so I'll leave it at " quite a while"

..... I do think they look much better though as a result - especially some of the ones that had slightly less interesting thumbnails.

5 hours ago, YaManSmevz said:

Well, if we're talkin Mr. Bigglesworth Tennis (is there a developer around btw? I smell a sleeper hit), I'd probably go with wrestler Sting as well1f604.png I'd like to say musician Sting but it's difficult to picture terribly stimulating conversation. The wrestler would likely have far better stories too!

Have you ever stroked one of those bald cats? I haven't - I've also never encountered one, I just imagine,it would feel all prickly and unsettling.

I'd play Mr Bigglesworth Tennis though - I know for sure there's a certain someone that has a checklist on the forum, that likes obscure and esoteric games, so if realm played it we'd know if it was good or not I guess.

musician Sting seems like the type that would think it would be hilarious to decline an invitation to a function by doing it via Message in a Bottle...... I..... I couldn't resist that one....... Either that or he'd always want to meet in some Fields of Gold.

Firstly, I'm always glad to hear that. Makes my day if I can entertain in some way, sadly there are times where I'll try a bit too hard but putting a smile on someone's face always slaps one right back on mine!

However.

When you said SNES I couldn't help but cringe and think "noooo I was talkin NES and the OG game!"

I got a NES (apparently it's intended to be pronounced 'ness,' which still trips me out) when I was a very small boy, and there is video footage somewhere of a Christmas morning in the late 80s where my five year old self opens the box and goes ballistic. Good times1f622.png

You are right though - video games have brought me joy for *cough* years and there's not a damn thing bad about that!

I'm guilty of trying a bit too hard myself when it comes to stuff like that, we can't win them all right?

Sorry for making you cringe haha

I haven't really heard anyone going nuts for the original Zelda - most of the praise I've seen goes to A Link to the Past or Ocarina of Time.... Although I'm far from being a Zelda expert, or even really remotely knowledgable about the series, it's a huge blindspot for me.

It's good that you did - for the challenge, for your PSN brothas n sistas, and most importantly for yourself. And thank you, I can't tell you how grateful I am for how lucky we got, and how much I sympathize with those who didn't. It very much is an emotional cocktail of hopelessness, fear, and far too many other negative feelings. You put it well, it can do wonders for motivation.

Exactly - I appreciate you saying that too.

There's some stories on that thread that are way more open and heartfelt than I was really comfortable going into myself, but I'm proud of those that did, it's a tough thing to just throw those kind of personal stories out into the world - so my hat goes off to them, for doing so.

This looks so cute! I love how down you were to just dive into this. It sounds like a great time, and I think you may have just gotten me to reach for my wallet!

It's a great game - so I hope you do, it's one that's super easy to recommend - and by the sounds of it, that experience is even better when you can get someone to join in with you.... So see if your good lady, might be up for playing it with you, you never know, she might really enjoy it!

That's dope! I actually will go back and take a gander at the remastered versions, I'm curious as to how the new look treats them! Also I have a confession to make - after our discussion about editing posts, I thought about it and restructured the first post in my thread, and am so glad I did. You're definitely onto something - writing style (and dare I say, quality) progresses quite dramatically in these threads!

I need to pay better attention, I fall behind and then take up a whole page in the Clarke Times when I finally respond! Sorry about that!

I think it's worth editing posts for your own peace of mind more than anything - even if I know barely anyone will go and read it, I know that I've done it and I can feel a bit happier about it. Especially if you know there's something you should have mentioned and forgot to, which I find myself doing quite a bit.

I'll have to go and check yours out and see if I can spot what's different.

Not to blow my own trumpet or anything (I didn't do a whole lot, it was just adding images, that were already on this site, to make my own thing look nicer after all).  But yeah, I think some of the new coats of paint have spruced some of those up quite a bit, plus it was nice to add even more Lara Croft in amongst the mix haha xD - I'm a lot happier with them now, so I'm glad it's given me a bit of peace of mind about them, like I mentioned further up. All that definitely helps.........

....... Oh and best of all - the flying concrete dog I mentioned in the Linger in Shadows review, is actually in the banner image now, which is hilarious ?

I appreciate that you even respond at all man, so don't worry about when it is, I struggle to keep on top of replies and stuff myself as you know, in fact if I don't, I end up feeling really bad about it.

Clarke Times - that would be a pretty terrible Newspaper or publication.....

Breaking News - our Editor in Chief Mr Clarke, mentioned Monkey Island and Legacy of Kain a record 6,000 times each in one post today...... He then continued to waffle on about cinematography and sound design in a game review of all places for 1000 odd words - we're thinking of staging a military coup and ousting this jackasss.....   Then I'd be shipped off to an island in a crate and live out the rest of my days talking to a coconut.... :facepalm:

Edited by rjkclarke
  • Like 2

21 hours ago, rjkclarke said:

Quite a while yeah..... I'm not sure I should say how much, I'm worried I'd sound like too much of a sad individual, so I'll leave it at " quite a while"

..... I do think they look much better though as a result - especially some of the ones that had slightly less interesting thumbnails.

They do look good, everything is kinda uniform. I might actually copy you...?

Have you ever stroked one of those bald cats? I haven't - I've also never encountered one, I just imagine,it would feel all prickly and unsettling.

I'd play Mr Bigglesworth Tennis though - I know for sure there's a certain someone that has a checklist on the forum, that likes obscure and esoteric games, so if realm played it we'd know if it was good or not I guess.

I don't think I have, either. Never really thought about that! If someone had a cat like that and offered for me to pet them, I'd probably be like "nah, I'm good" and then feel guilty about it?

Haha nice shout. There's already more than a few obscure games in the Backlog because of him, ain't let me down yet!

musician Sting seems like the type that would think it would be hilarious to decline an invitation to a function by doing it via Message in a Bottle...... I..... I couldn't resist that one....... Either that or he'd always want to meet in some Fields of Gold.

Is it true that Fields of Gold is about golden showers after a tantric session? Asking for a friend.

A buddy and I had a drinking game back in the day involving the song Roxanne - you split into teams (or just face off) and one drinks when they sing "Roxanne" and the other drinks when they sing "red light." Whoever is still drinking at the song's end wins. Best limited to quick gulps of beer or cocktails though... no shots, lest you end up paying a visit to the nearest stomach pump! Highly recommended, it's really fun - we'd always end up laughing almost too hard to continue drinking.

Almost. We were professionals??

I'm guilty of trying a bit too hard myself when it comes to stuff like that, we can't win them all right?

Sorry for making you cringe haha

I haven't really heard anyone going nuts for the original Zelda - most of the praise I've seen goes to A Link to the Past or Ocarina of Time.... Although I'm far from being a Zelda expert, or even really remotely knowledgable about the series, it's a huge blindspot for me.

Haha you're good, man!

I played the first and second, which I LOVED. Link to the Past was a really big deal when that dropped and of course was excellent as well, but beyond that I'm in the same boat as you, I've never played any others. Whenever peeps would talk about Ocarina I'd just nod and listen and be like "uh huh, yeah, definitely" cuz it's like a movie everybody's seen except for you and the response is always "WHAAAAAT??"

It's a great game - so I hope you do, it's one that's super easy to recommend - and by the sounds of it, that experience is even better when you can get someone to join in with you.... So see if your good lady, might be up for playing it with you, you never know, she might really enjoy it!

I hope so! The cutesy look helps a lot, maybe I'll play it coy, and play it while she's around with the volume just a little higher than usual.

"Oh wow, what's that you're playing?"

"Hmm? Oh, didn't see you there... yeah it's pretty great. Two player action, addicting gameplay. Y'know. No big deal.."

If there is a hell specifically for dorks, make no mistake, I am going.

Not to blow my own trumpet or anything (I didn't do a whole lot, it was just adding images, that were already on this site, to make my own thing look nicer after all).  But yeah, I think some of the new coats of paint have spruced some of those up quite a bit, plus it was nice to add even more Lara Croft in amongst the mix haha xD - I'm a lot happier with them now, so I'm glad it's given me a bit of peace of mind about them, like I mentioned further up. All that definitely helps.

Oh, for sure! It looks more uniform and cleaned up. Like a haircut, for lack of a better term! That's why I'm wrestling with the idea of going back and doing the same thing myself, or keeping things as is and embracing the evolution of my posts - I'd slap myself across the face if I didn't think I'd gotten at least a little better!

Breaking News - our Editor in Chief Mr Clarke, mentioned Monkey Island and Legacy of Kain a record 6,000 times each in one post today...... He then continued to waffle on about cinematography and sound design in a game review of all places for 1000 odd words - we're thinking of staging a military coup and ousting this jackasss.....   Then I'd be shipped off to an island in a crate and live out the rest of my days talking to a coconut.... :facepalm:

Is it weird that as I read that, I heard a Beholder ending in my head?

"Mr. Clarke was captured, writing reviews at his computer and yelling at his loud neighbors.

They dragged him, kicking and screaming, to a desert island, where he made a crate his new home.

Gradually he went insane, believing he was hosting a talk show about gaming, when in reality he was talking to an arranged group of coconuts. This is how he spent his final days..."

• Like 1