DrBloodmoney's Super Scientific Ranking of Games!

DrBloodmoney

On 5/23/2022 at 9:57 AM, DrBloodmoney said:

L8041ad.png

The Stanley Parable: Ultra Deluxe

The Ranking:

So, in terms of starting points, this is a damned nightmare! 

There are some comedy games on the ranking, but they are almost entirely comedic games that have a completely different flavour, and generally have much more active gameplay than The Stanley Parable does. The fact is, The Stanley Parable is parody, and so finding a spot among the things it is parodying is difficult to do.

Not gonna lie, I did wonder myself how would you rank this one xD because Stanley Parable is one of the most anti "normal" game out there. Not abnormal, that's a different word for different games ? regardless great job!

Also one day I will have to try Slay the Spire, it really got me curious. 

Now, I haven't done this in a while, but may I request a game? While browsing through your finished games (inspiration to find something that would keep me away from Catherine) I found a common game that wasn't covered so far - Bayonetta. If you remember it still (2013 is a while ago), could you include it in your scientific report? 

• Like 1

On 25/05/2022 at 7:29 AM, Copanele said:

Not gonna lie, I did wonder myself how would you rank this one xD because Stanley Parable is one of the most anti "normal" game out there. Not abnormal, that's a different word for different games 1f602.png regardless great job!

I know right?

It felt a bit like trying to rank The Naked Gun in a list of serious cop movies... ?

Also one day I will have to try Slay the Spire, it really got me curious. 

You know, it's really hard for me to gauge if someone with like it, but if you're at all curious, I say go for it - I mean, I was basically completely clueless about the whole genre, and so all I had going for me was a vague, indefinable curiosity, and I ended up getting completely absorbed, so if there was ever an endorsement for Slay the Spire as an entry point to the genre, I am it! ?

Now, I haven't done this in a while, but may I request a game? While browsing through your finished games (inspiration to find something that would keep me away from Catherine) I found a common game that wasn't covered so far - Bayonetta. If you remember it still (2013 is a while ago), could you include it in your scientific report? 

Absolutely man, flagged for Priority Assignment with your name! ?

Edited by DrBloodmoney
  • Like 2

Back in these waters after several weeks away from the Internet & so glad to see the lord of this thread active once more ?

Many thanks @DrBloodmoney for the latest reviews, with a particular mention to Portal 2 - I can’t believe I had failed at requesting it earlier ?

Edited by Neef-GT5
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, Neef-GT5 said:

Back in these waters after several weeks away from the Internet & so glad to see the lord of this thread active once more 1f44d.png

full.png

Many thanks @DrBloodmoney for the latest reviews, with a particular mention to Portal 2 - I can’t believe I had failed at requesting it earlier 1f60a.png

Haha- I can't believe it took me so long to get around to it actually - there was a while there where I was like.... "I know I've ranked most of what is likely to be obvious top 10... but theres something I'm forgetting..." ?

...despite the fact I must have actually mentioned Portal 2 in like 15 different puzzle game reviews prior to actually ranking it! :facepalm: ?

Edited by DrBloodmoney
  • Like 1

☢️☢️SCIENTIFIC METHOD UPDATE☢️☢️

Hey Science Chums - as the last few "split-batches" have evidenced... I'm having trouble keeping on top of the science lately! ?

The new S-Ranks being Bonus Games in each batch, coupled with the slower pace is meaning that by the time I've done 5 legacy reviews, there can often be 3-5 bonus games to add on - and those ones are often even longer reviews, as they are a bit easier to do... and I want to get thoughts down while they're still fresh in my mind!

I thought about cutting the "Standard" batch down to 3 games + Bonus games, but actually, my solution going forward  is going to be a little different...

...I'm just going to be a bit more fluid about it.

I'm going to wait a bit longer to actually announce what's in a batch, and base the number of legacy reviews on how many Bonus Games are going in it. If I've finished nothing, there might be 5 legacy reviews, but if I've been on a tear and finished 5 new games, there might be not a single one... though I suspect most will fall somewhere in between (hopefully)!

Obviously, I'll still do my darnedest to keep the requests at the top of the pile - though there are naturally fewer of them now, simple because the pool of available legacy games is shallowing a bit now!

• Like 4

First off, another TWO batches of awesome reviews! Get in! I'm just going to write this comment now, before I have a repeat of what happened last time ?.... Essentially, I was about to post a comment about the batch before last, and then you dropped the latest batch the day I was going to do it, so I was all NOW I HAVE TO WRITE EVEN MORE xD

Okay, okay enough rambling (that's hard for me :facepalm:)

Sooooooo...... Batman: The Telltale series...

That was a pretty accurate rendition of that game, and unfortunately I found myself agreeing with a whole lot of it. That's a weird one from Troy Baker, I agree that he kind of half asses it. He does have the odd distinction of playing both Batman and The Joker in different games though... I think he plays Joker way better than he plays Batman in this one. I do think Troy Baker plays the Bruce Wayne side of the character far better than Batman though.

That being said - don't rule out ever playing the second Telltale Batman, it isn't reinventing the wheel or anything, it is better than the first one though, but it does do some genuinely quite out of the box things with established Batman characters. I really dug that version of The Riddler, because it is so unlike any version of The Riddler you see anywhere else, yet also remains true to the character in a way that I think a few people seem to overlook. 

I must say I'm kind of intrigued by those Doodle Devil/God games..... The thing is, from everything you wrote, they definitely seem like the sort of thing you'd probably need a Vita to get the most out of, as you mention, they seem very tailored to the pick-up and put down nature of a handheld. I did see the PS4 ones on offer recently, but it just doesn't feel right to play them on a huge TV, maybe some for if I ever do get my hands on a Vita.

Portal 2 though! What a fantastic review that was! That was an absolute joy to read through, I really enjoyed that. 

Man you've made me really feel like I missed out on that one. I really loved the first Portal, and for whatever reason I just never really bothered to pick up Portal 2, I'm not entirely sure why either. I love Stephen Merchant and J.K Simmons so that should be an immediate plus for it, I love puzzle games......

Yeah, looks like I made a big ol' screw up by not playing Portal 2 yet, so it looks like you might have made me try and find a dusty old PS3 copy of it, or at the very least play the PC version.

You also managed to put my mind at ease fantastically with that review of Virginia! Loved reading that one a whole lot too Man was that one I was worried about writing in the future - and also happens to be one I'd have to put off now for those plagiarism reasons you and I seem to worry about, when reviewing games we've both played, yet have very similar thoughts on.

It's such an odd game, but such a great one, if you let it be. Not to be too hippie, but "if you just like, open your mind man!" Or just don't expect it to be something it isn't I suppose. I really liked your comparison to the characters looking like the Nintendo Mii's too, very accurate, I hadn't really thought about it until you mentioned it.

I love that you brought up the fact there is an illusion of control. It's an underrated thing I think, to take that away from the player, yet still be able to provide a pretty intriguing and compelling experience.

Last Stop on the other hand... That sounds a little frustrating to say the least. I might be doing a bit old skiperoo on that one.So "You played it so I don't have to" seems to have reared its ugly head again. Let's hope their next game can hit some of the highs of Virginia, fingers crossed.

I think you may have got yourself another +1 to my backlog with Manifold Garden. That's one of those games I've been intrigued by so many times during sales, yet never quite gotten the urge to actually hit purchase, with that fantastic review, I might just have gotten a reason.

That sounds incredibly fun to try and unravel some of it - the notion of a zero percent run, or what that entails here, is also a pretty awesome one actually.

Quite possible a +1 with The Stanley Parable as well. I've heard so many great things about that game, even more now. I don't know why, but I've always had this sort of nagging doubt in my mind, that the humour would just make me constantly eyeroll instead of actually laugh. You pretty much put my mind at ease here. I like the sound of it. I had no idea you could complete the game in as little as 4 or 5 minutes, how odd.

Lucky for me, Slay the Spire was already on my backlog, as I quite like the few games I've played that incorporate deck building into them. You have made me want to bump it up the list a little further though, because that sounded like such a ridiculously enjoyable time, despite how much time you poured into it. The fact you still want to play it even after putting that amount of time into it says a whole lot about the quality of the game as a whole, so I'm looking forward to getting into that one in the future!

Now that my fingers are suitably bleeding! xD I suppose I'd better be on my merry way, but thanks again for another couple of doses of absolutely cracking reading material dude!

Edited by rjkclarke
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, DrBloodmoney said:

Obviously, I'll still do my darnedest to keep the requests at the top of the pile - though there are naturally fewer of them now, simple because the pool of available legacy games is shallowing a bit now!

Well, then I hereby request a review of a game which undeservedly often flies under the radar due to lack of a Platinum: "Papers, Please". (Please note that I have utmost trust in your scientific method to come up with an appropriate ranking, Comrade. Glory to Arstotzka!)

• Like 3

On 5/23/2022 at 2:57 AM, DrBloodmoney said:

Overall, Manifold Garden is an absolutely wonderful artistic achievement, and a very solid, very clever core concept... which is put to use very well in some spots... but gets easily muddled or confused at times. Because the game is inherently confusing in pure mechanics, the mixing up of micro and macro puzzles, while interesting, tends to detract from both, rather than add to them. The sum of its parts adds up to more confusion than the game really needed to introduce.

Already had it on my Wishlist but now even more so! The banner images seen on the game profile on the website are super visually evocative and I'm glad to see that holds true throughout the actual game. I have zero issues using a guide for puzzle games so I'll def scoop it up! Also, thank you for teaching me a new word! "Stultifying" is fantastic!

L575355.png

Slay the Spire

Woooo I'm so glad I finally got around to reading this! I always frequent some of the profiles on here to see what some of y'all are playing (Cassy's, Copa's, etc...) and when I saw you were playing Slay the Spire I couldn't wait to get your take. I also entered the game as a complete newbie to the deck builder genre. 

In terms of many of the core aspects of videogames, Slay the Spire is pretty basic. Most notably, in terms of visuals. While there are some very nice designs in therms of the enemies, the actual visual component of the fighting in Slay the Spire is very, very simplistic. The player character and enemies do not animate - their flat, 2D sprites simple shunt forward as they attack, in a rather early-Final-Fantasy-like manner, and there is little in the way of variety in background images. This might sound incredibly basic and un-nuanced (and in that regard, it is,) however, the fact of the matter is that the visual component of Slay the Spire is largely immaterial in the flow of the game. Beyond the initial few hours, the player is likely never to be paying a single iota of attention to the physicality of the enemies, or their own cypher - so absorbed will they be in parsing the symbolic information displayed on the screen around those elements. 

I'm glad you mentioned this point. One of the reasons I held off on buying the game for a while is because I honestly thought it was hideous. Hell, even having invested nearly 80 hours into it for the platinum, the game is far from a looker but the mechanical and strategic depth is so damn excellent that once you're grinding Ascension difficulties, the visual elements fall into the background for the real meat and potatoes of the game. 

That the game manages to present essentially the same basic bones of a game at every run, yet feel so wildly different after only a few battles and events based on RNG offerings and player choices is really impressive - and the fact that a game with such basic visual trappings managed to hook me as hard as it did - consuming my evenings for almost 200 hours - shows how finely detailed and variable the mechanical gameplay is.

Hahaha yes!!!! I warned on my own post that the game is remarkably addictive. I ended up playing it at the perfect time of March 2020 when the outbreak was starting(in the US) and being quarantined off meant getting sucked into its vortex wasn't too terrible all things considered. I'll also in my personal experience that once you get the hang of the game and know the basics of the mechanics and it all boils down to execution - Slay the Spire is a BRILLIANT game to play while listening to podcasts or watching TV/movies. I personally watched all of Ozark Season 3. 

Yes, RNG drops are a major factor in determining the success of a run, however, to attribute the difference between success and failure to RNG alone is to fundamentally misunderstand the intended player relationship to the game. The fact is, if the player predetermines what kind of deck they wish to build before beginning a run, then yes, their fate is purely a matter of waiting for a favourable set of drops. However, this is not really the "correct" way to play. Navigating the whims of RNGesus is, itself, the game. The player is not intended to predetermine the kind of deck they will create... they are intended to work with the drops they get, and craft a deck on the fly. Solving the problem of the RNG is a part of the experience of each run.

Spot on. You are 100% correct. I too read that thread complaining about the RNG on the forums. The reality is, this is a game you're INTENDED to have several hundreds runs of experience with. Try to hamfist your way into a specific deck so you can specifically attain 1-2 very specific trophy requirements begging for the game to troll you and not give you what you need. I personally aimed for climbing all the ascension ranks first, and when I thought a situation may present itself to go for a trophy if I got 1-2 things in my favor (such as finishing the final boss Donu with "Feed) only THEN would I adjust my strategy to make it more of a feasibility. I managed to get that trophy on an Ascension 9. Playing it that way I think would make players a lot of the RNG frustrations. 

Overall, Slay the Spire is a great game - and one that has been revelatory to me personally. 
It would be ridiculous at this point to describe myself as a "Deck Builder Fan" - I have only played this one, of course, and so really, I should more accurately be described merely as a "Slay the Spire Fan"...
...but the fact of the matter is, I'm now such a fan of Slay the Spire, that I know for a fact I will be checking out some more Deck Building games on the back of it.

You and me both! I personally purchased a game called "One Step from Eden" solely based on the fact someone described it as "something like Slay the Spire". I uh... played it for about an hour several months ago, didn't pop any trophies, and haven't touched it since due to being extremely intimidated by its complexities. I'll undoubtedly try to return at some point in the future but with so few trophy aids out there I'm hesitant to do so for a while. 

I do feel that Curse of the Dead Gods remains the better game - it has all the best elements that Slay the Spire has, but also adds a more robust fighting mechanic to its variable gameplay. It doesn't feature multiple characters, but the actual moment to moment is so variable and so much fun, it has to hold its place.

Wow! I know you said I may have given you a hidden gem in Going Under but to see you rate Curse of the Dead Gods THIS highly to comfortably reign supreme over StS is something. I'm glad I picked it up for free. The trophy grind is intimidating but I'm a complete sucker for roguelites. When the freshness of Hades wears off in my mind, I may have to consider it for my next roguelite itch!

I'm a little bit blown away at your final ranking coming in at 58th out of 320. I understand wholeheartedly why given the reasons you stated but that seems so low ?. I looked at my own and it's 13th out of 209 games. If I may... in an extremely strange and perhaps too personal request, would you ever feel comfortable sharing your final stats from the game? Slay the Spire has a simply immaculate stats tracker that lets you see what enemy killed you, all your relics each run, how long each lasted, etc... I included mine in my post but I love seeing how other people played the game and trying to see differences in strategies. PS5 also has a super convenient record button which you can upload to YouTube/Twitter with ease. If not, no worries! 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, rjkclarke said:

Sooooooo...... Batman: The Telltale series...

That was a pretty accurate rendition of that game, and unfortunately I found myself agreeing with a whole lot of it. That's a weird one from Troy Baker, I agree that he kind of half asses it. He does have the odd distinction of playing both Batman and The Joker in different games though... I think he plays Joker way better than he plays Batman in this one. I do think Troy Baker plays the Bruce Wayne side of the character far better than Batman though.

That being said - don't rule out ever playing the second Telltale Batman, it isn't reinventing the wheel or anything, it is better than the first one though, but it does do some genuinely quite out of the box things with established Batman characters. I really dug that version of The Riddler, because it is so unlike any version of The Riddler you see anywhere else, yet also remains true to the character in a way that I think a few people seem to overlook. 

That's cool - it's been a long time since I played a Telltale actually - I think I have that Guardians of the Galaxy one they did gathering digital dust somewhere in my backlog, and might actually have the second Batman one in there too someplace - I'd have to check. To be honest, if I return to them, probably my first stop would be the final Walking Dead one, as I never did finish up that whole arc, but good to know that the Dark Knight is not down for the count!

I must say I'm kind of intrigued by those Doodle Devil/God games..... The thing is, from everything you wrote, they definitely seem like the sort of thing you'd probably need a Vita to get the most out of, as you mention, they seem very tailored to the pick-up and put down nature of a handheld. I did see the PS4 ones on offer recently, but it just doesn't feel right to play them on a huge TV, maybe some for if I ever do get my hands on a Vita.

Oh yeah - for sure they are not suited at all to the big screen - these are like Bejeweled or Threes or something of that nature  -perfectly suited as a secondary thing, or a passer of empty time, but not so good as a dedicated attention-grabber!

Portal 2 though! What a fantastic review that was! That was an absolute joy to read through, I really enjoyed that. 

Man you've made me really feel like I missed out on that one. I really loved the first Portal, and for whatever reason I just never really bothered to pick up Portal 2, I'm not entirely sure why either. I love Stephen Merchant and J.K Simmons so that should be an immediate plus for it, I love puzzle games......

Yeah, looks like I made a big ol' screw up by not playing Portal 2 yet, so it looks like you might have made me try and find a dusty old PS3 copy of it, or at the very least play the PC version.

Ho boy - you absolutely should check that one out - it's a wild ride, but so digestible and consuming, it's liable to spit you out the back-side of it without you even noticing the time has passed and it's dark outside ?

I think it can be rough now for Playstation players who haven't started it before, as (I think?) there might be some unobtainable trophies in it, but any way you can get a hold of the game, is worth doing. (Frankly, I think it's worth playing, even given the unobtainable, but that's one that can put folks off, and I understand that impulse for sure)

You also managed to put my mind at ease fantastically with that review of Virginia! Loved reading that one a whole lot too Man was that one I was worried about writing in the future - and also happens to be one I'd have to put off now for those plagiarism reasons you and I seem to worry about, when reviewing games we've both played, yet have very similar thoughts on.

It's such an odd game, but such a great one, if you let it be. Not to be too hippie, but "if you just like, open your mind man!" Or just don't expect it to be something it isn't I suppose. I really liked your comparison to the characters looking like the Nintendo Mii's too, very accurate, I hadn't really thought about it until you mentioned it.

I love that you brought up the fact there is an illusion of control. It's an underrated thing I think, to take that away from the player, yet still be able to provide a pretty intriguing and compelling experience.

Last Stop on the other hand... That sounds a little frustrating to say the least. I might be doing a bit old skiperoo on that one.So "You played it so I don't have to" seems to have reared its ugly head again. Let's hope their next game can hit some of the highs of Virginia, fingers crossed.

Yeah, man, Last Stop was a pretty huge let down after having loved Virginia so much. ?

I was really trying to love it, but it just kept doing things to undercut that, and by the time it was getting to its conclusion, it had just completely lost me. It's actually one of those odd ones - I felt it was such a disappointment, but most reviews I've seen are somewhere between tepid and good, so maybe I'm missing something?... but I can't say I relish the idea of ever replaying it to see if that was the case!

I think you may have got yourself another +1 to my backlog with Manifold Garden. That's one of those games I've been intrigued by so many times during sales, yet never quite gotten the urge to actually hit purchase, with that fantastic review, I might just have gotten a reason.

That sounds incredibly fun to try and unravel some of it - the notion of a zero percent run, or what that entails here, is also a pretty awesome one actually.

Oh, it's worth the play for sure - that Zero Percent run though - HOLY HELL, I am confounded that anyone ever figured that all out without assistance! :blink:

That's one where I struggled for a long while finding some scraps of the solution, then when I finally looked up some help, a few of the solutions had me ready to hand over my Portal Gun and Rubik's Cube and retire from the Puzzle Game Force...

To paraphrase Lt. Murtaugh "I'm too dumb for this shit!" ?

Quite possible a +1 with The Stanley Parable as well. I've heard so many great things about that game, even more now. I don't know why, but I've always had this sort of nagging doubt in my mind, that the humour would just make me constantly eyeroll instead of actually laugh. You pretty much put my mind at ease here. I like the sound of it. I had no idea you could complete the game in as little as 4 or 5 minutes, how odd.

Oh, it's cool - I do think it skirts close to that eye-rolling line occasionally, but it never really crosses it, and while some bits are almost a little too cute or clever for it's own good, the overall is still accurate and smart enough to deal with that.

Having said that... I think the other game that falls in it's meta-camp I've played recently is Doki Doki Literature Club+ (to be reviewed soon... well, actually, I've written it already...) and while it does things differently, I think it will likely land even higher than Stanley did on the rankings...

Lucky for me, Slay the Spire was already on my backlog, as I quite like the few games I've played that incorporate deck building into them. You have made me want to bump it up the list a little further though, because that sounded like such a ridiculously enjoyable time, despite how much time you poured into it. The fact you still want to play it even after putting that amount of time into it says a whole lot about the quality of the game as a whole, so I'm looking forward to getting into that one in the future!

Ha - it's funny, I finished up Jett: The Far Shore the other night, and it was a bit late to start anything new.. so I celebrated by playing another run of Slay the Spire! ?

It's a ringing endorsement for a game where just playing a run for fun, after having got a >100 hour platinum in it is a comfort food, and not a chore!

Now that my fingers are suitably bleeding! xD I suppose I'd better be on my merry way, but thanks again for another couple of doses of absolutely cracking reading material dude!

Thanks dude - and I appreciate the comments, as always! 

8 hours ago, realm722 said:

Already had it on my Wishlist but now even more so! The banner images seen on the game profile on the website are super visually evocative and I'm glad to see that holds true throughout the actual game. I have zero issues using a guide for puzzle games so I'll def scoop it up! Also, thank you for teaching me a new word! "Stultifying" is fantastic!

Well worth it, man!

I'd recommend avoiding the guides for the first playthrough - there's not much in there to really confound you in the "normal" path, but yeah, no shame in referring to one for the final couple of trophies, because DAAAAAAAAAAMN! ?

Woooo I'm so glad I finally got around to reading this! I always frequent some of the profiles on here to see what some of y'all are playing (Cassy's, Copa's, etc...) and when I saw you were playing Slay the Spire I couldn't wait to get your take. I also entered the game as a complete newbie to the deck builder genre. 

I'm glad you mentioned this point. One of the reasons I held off on buying the game for a while is because I honestly thought it was hideous. Hell, even having invested nearly 80 hours into it for the platinum, the game is far from a looker but the mechanical and strategic depth is so damn excellent that once you're grinding Ascension difficulties, the visual elements fall into the background for the real meat and potatoes of the game. 

Hahaha yes!!!! I warned on my own post that the game is remarkably addictive. I ended up playing it at the perfect time of March 2020 when the outbreak was starting(in the US) and being quarantined off meant getting sucked into its vortex wasn't too terrible all things considered. I'll also in my personal experience that once you get the hang of the game and know the basics of the mechanics and it all boils down to execution - Slay the Spire is a BRILLIANT game to play while listening to podcasts or watching TV/movies. I personally watched all of Ozark Season 3. 

Ha - that's true - I made it through like 4 seasons of the My Dad Wrote a Porno podcast while playing that game! ?

Spot on. You are 100% correct. I too read that thread complaining about the RNG on the forums. The reality is, this is a game you're INTENDED to have several hundreds runs of experience with. Try to hamfist your way into a specific deck so you can specifically attain 1-2 very specific trophy requirements begging for the game to troll you and not give you what you need. I personally aimed for climbing all the ascension ranks first, and when I thought a situation may present itself to go for a trophy if I got 1-2 things in my favor (such as finishing the final boss Donu with "Feed) only THEN would I adjust my strategy to make it more of a feasibility. I managed to get that trophy on an Ascension 9. Playing it that way I think would make players a lot of the RNG frustrations. 

Yeah - this was basically my strategy too - I figured if I could get through the Ascension trophies, everything else would be a cake-walk, and in the end, I unlocked all but three trophies just while doing the initial "secret ending" playthroughs of the characters, and that ascension journey!

I can imagine that it's like most rogue-likes... if you decide to go for a specific trophy, you are going to have a miserable time, but if you just accept that they'll come when they come, you can just enjoy the game as God / the Devs intended, and will have a whale of a time!

You and me both! I personally purchased a game called "One Step from Eden" solely based on the fact someone described it as "something like Slay the Spire". I uh... played it for about an hour several months ago, didn't pop any trophies, and haven't touched it since due to being extremely intimidated by its complexities. I'll undoubtedly try to return at some point in the future but with so few trophy aids out there I'm hesitant to do so for a while. 

Well, I've got Griftlands on my system ready to go... I just need to ween myself off the afterglow of Slay the Spire first, since I suspect that game will have a long tail of memory about card combinations!

I suspect Griftlands will be excellent in it's own right (Klei have yet to do me dirty!) but I shall report the science as soon as I'm able!

Wow! I know you said I may have given you a hidden gem in Going Under but to see you rate Curse of the Dead Gods THIS highly to comfortably reign supreme over StS is something. I'm glad I picked it up for free. The trophy grind is intimidating but I'm a complete sucker for roguelites. When the freshness of Hades wears off in my mind, I may have to consider it for my next roguelite itch!

It's a hell of a game - quite a "pure" roguelike in a lot of ways - it doesn't have, say, the metroidvania aspects of Dead Cells, or the narrative and visual hooks of Hades, but all that energy that goes into the stuff around the edges in other rogue likes just seems to have been poured into great balancing, and systems upon systems upon systems ?

For my money, Invisible Inc probably remains the most systematically dense rogue like I've ever played (and also my personal favourite,) but CotDG is probably second in that particular interconnected-systems-arms-race!

I'm a little bit blown away at your final ranking coming in at 58th out of 320. I understand wholeheartedly why given the reasons you stated but that seems so low 1f602.png. I looked at my own and it's 13th out of 209 games. If I may... in an extremely strange and perhaps too personal request, would you ever feel comfortable sharing your final stats from the game? Slay the Spire has a simply immaculate stats tracker that lets you see what enemy killed you, all your relics each run, how long each lasted, etc... I included mine in my post but I love seeing how other people played the game and trying to see differences in strategies. PS5 also has a super convenient record button which you can upload to YouTube/Twitter with ease. If not, no worries! 

Ill have a look through to see if I can see my final ascension run - I knew that was a thing, but I didn't look at it too often, and I'm a total novice at taking screenshots and exporting them, butI'll see what I can do!

I was definitely Ironclad Strength-heavy build though (my final "double-boss" was Timekeeper followed by The Awakened one, and I do remember I had such high compounded strength, that I think I killed The Awakened's second form on the first hand after he appeared! Praise be to the Pyramid Relic!) ?

12 hours ago, Zvetiki said:

Well, then I hereby request a review of a game which undeservedly often flies under the radar due to lack of a Platinum: "Papers, Please". (Please note that I have utmost trust in your scientific method to come up with an appropriate ranking, Comrade. Glory to Arstotzka!)

Absolutely mate - added to the priority list with your name ?

The next batch is almost done, so probably will be in the one after that

Edited by DrBloodmoney
  • Like 3

23 minutes ago, DrBloodmoney said:

I'm as surprised as anyone that I connected as much with Doki Doki Literature Club+

All I can think of when reading this is the status you posted like a week ago, about the game's "All characters are 18+" splash screen disclaimer... ?

In seriousness, I'm familiar with the game's story, but have never actually played it myself. I'm not terribly surprised that it had an impact on you, but I am a bit disappointed that it sounds like (at least some of) the Plus additions are more like Minuses, not the excuse to pick it up and experience it firsthand that I may have been hoping for.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Xylobe said:

All I can think of when reading this is the status you posted like a week ago, about the game's "All characters are 18+" splash screen disclaimer... 1f62c.png

In seriousness, I'm familiar with the game's story, but have never actually played it myself. I'm not terribly surprised that it had an impact on you, but I am a bit disappointed that it sounds like (at least some of) the Plus additions are more like Minuses, not the excuse to pick it up and experience it firsthand that I may have been hoping for.

Not soo much minuses, as Zero sums, I guess :dunno: - they're fine, and of a quality that definitely matches the original game in the first act... but given what the game is really, behind the curtain, it does feel odd that they are added after the fact.

It makes me assume there must be people out there who connect more to the game on the surface than I did - who are legitimately into the characters as characters from the fake game, and not just as foils for what comes later.  For me, that stuff was fine, (all the characters are likeable and engaging enough, but without the meta level, I can't say I'd be yearning for more.

It's when it goes meta and crazy that the game really got it's hooks in, so adding to the "before the reveal" section of the game just left me a bit confused! 

Edited by DrBloodmoney

I've had a similar experience learning about DDLC. The first time I heard about it (the PC version specifically), I learned that it's not what it seems. Basically, was semi-spoiled about the main reveals right off the bat, including the stuff that player has to do in the end. I've never played a visual novel or a dating sim game as well. One day, I was reminded of the game again. I thought "Ahh, I'm probably never going to play this, I'll spoil myself the rest to know what happens" and read the summary on Wikipedia. 

It's yet another game where I learn about the twists before I play it. One of them was MGS2 with the whole Raiden thing. I was too young when it came out. By the time I could get my hands on the remaster, I already knew most of the story beats and what people think about them.

Although in terms of horror, the twists might be even more impactful. I made a thread here in the "media room" section asking people if horror movies actually scare them. One of the points that I found interesting was something like "It's not scary when you expect it. But when you get horror elements in a movie or a show that isn't horror, it's more impactful". 

I don't think I've experienced such moment in a game before. DDLC would have absolutely made me feel real fear, if I'd played it expecting a date sim. 

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, DrBloodmoney said:

L96915b.png

Doki Doki Literature Club+

Played this on PC a few years back when a friend gifted it to me and they told me to at least give it till the end of the first act....   When the façade fell away, I have never noped out of a video game faster.  

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Slava said:

I've had a similar experience learning about DDLC. The first time I heard about it (the PC version specifically), I learned that it's not what it seems. Basically, was semi-spoiled about the main reveals right off the bat, including the stuff that player has to do in the end. I've never played a visual novel or a dating sim game as well. One day, I was reminded of the game again. I thought "Ahh, I'm probably never going to play this, I'll spoil myself the rest to know what happens" and read the summary on Wikipedia. 

It's yet another game where I learn about the twists before I play it. One of them was MGS2 with the whole Raiden thing. I was too young when it came out. By the time I could get my hands on the remaster, I already knew most of the story beats and what people think about them.

Although in terms of horror, the twists might be even more impactful. I made a thread here in the "media room" section asking people if horror movies actually scare them. One of the points that I found interesting was something like "It's not scary when you expect it. But when you get horror elements in a movie or a show that isn't horror, it's more impactful". 

I don't think I've experienced such moment in a game before. DDLC would have absolutely made me feel real fear, if I'd played it expecting a date sim. 

That's true I guess - the surprise element is the easiest and strongest way to be impactful, though I'd argue there are horror movies that still get me even knowing what I'm in for, but they are pretty rare. I think even then, it's often the surprise of how extreme the movie goes, that works - I remember knowing Martyrs (the french horror movie) rough plot before seeing it, but when the ending reveal is made, I still just about keeled over, because it was so jarringly appalling that it still caught me by surprise! ??

8 minutes ago, Together_Comic said:

Played this on PC a few years back when a friend gifted it to me and they told me to at least give it till the end of the first act....   When the façade fell away, I have never noped out of a video game faster.  

Ha - my new goal in life is to try and get my sister to play when I'm present. She is legit into dating sims etc. and I checked, and somehow she has apparently still not heard of Doki Doki Literature Club... so if she makes it to my next visit still in the dark, I'll get to experience what a completely blind playthrough is like through her eyes!

Edited by DrBloodmoney
  • Like 3

I'm so happy to hear you liked DDLC so much! I thought you might but I'll admit I didn't expect you to like it as much as you did haha. That comparison to Little Nightmares (another one of my all time favorite games I've played the past few years) is on point, and I never thought of it. I also played Little Nightmares before I played Doki Doki and until just now I didn't realize that the scene with the Gnome and the first big dark moment in DDLC are the only two times something in a game has really made me suddenly feel physically sick and emotionally drained. Despite how awful those moments were, I see it as a really great thing when a game is able to pull such a strong reaction out of me. I didn't know anything about Little Nightmares when I played it for the first time, but I went into DDLC knowing for a fact that there was some sort of dark twist to it and it STILL managed to lull me into a false sense of security and trick me into thinking it was just a cute little game and everyone (including the content warning) had been messing with me lol. I also think the side stories were a bit odd to add after the fact, but I took a lot of comfort in them when I was done with the game bc they were just cute and it was kinda nice. I do think it would've been even more impactful if we'd had time to get attached to the characters through the side stories first, but I also think a lot of people would've lost interest before all the twists if it were to be played that way, which is too bad. I haven't played The Stanley Parable so I can't compare them but my partner wants me to play it so bad lol so maybe one day I'll see for myself. Anyway, I'm glad I was apparently one of the people who inspired you to play this! I got super attached to it as well and I'm glad it doesn't take up a lot of space bc I don't think I will ever be able to delete it bc of reasons lol. I know I probably sound like a broken record at this point, but if you ever want something similar.. I cannot recommend World End Syndrome enough >.< 

Also, I always love to see another LiS fan! Those games will always have a special place in my heart, especially BtS bc AmberPrice is probably my favorite fictional ship of all time ?

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Billie__227 said:

I'm so happy to hear you liked DDLC so much! I thought you might but I'll admit I didn't expect you to like it as much as you did haha. That comparison to Little Nightmares (another one of my all time favorite games I've played the past few years) is on point, and I never thought of it. I also played Little Nightmares before I played Doki Doki and until just now I didn't realize that the scene with the Gnome and the first big dark moment in DDLC are the only two times something in a game has really made me suddenly feel physically sick and emotionally drained. Despite how awful those moments were, I see it as a really great thing when a game is able to pull such a strong reaction out of me. I didn't know anything about Little Nightmares when I played it for the first time, but I went into DDLC knowing for a fact that there was some sort of dark twist to it and it STILL managed to lull me into a false sense of security and trick me into thinking it was just a cute little game and everyone (including the content warning) had been messing with me lol. I also think the side stories were a bit odd to add after the fact, but I took a lot of comfort in them when I was done with the game bc they were just cute and it was kinda nice. I do think it would've been even more impactful if we'd had time to get attached to the characters through the side stories first, but I also think a lot of people would've lost interest before all the twists if it were to be played that way, which is too bad. I haven't played The Stanley Parable so I can't compare them but my partner wants me to play it so bad lol so maybe one day I'll see for myself. Anyway, I'm glad I was apparently one of the people who inspired you to play this! I got super attached to it as well and I'm glad it doesn't take up a lot of space bc I don't think I will ever be able to delete it bc of reasons lol. I know I probably sound like a broken record at this point, but if you ever want something similar.. I cannot recommend World End Syndrome enough >.< 

I’ve stuck World End Syndrome on my backlog gremlin list for sure - hopefully will get to it in some kind of a timely fashion!

You should absolutely check out The Stanley Parable if you dug Doki Doki  - it’s different of course, as the horror aspect isn’t part of it, but it’s clever in a lot of the same ways, and often very funny!

4 minutes ago, Billie__227 said:

Also, I always love to see another LiS fan! Those games will always have a special place in my heart, especially BtS bc AmberPrice is probably my favorite fictional ship of all time 1f622.png

I’ve had Chloe, Rachael and Max on my mind recently actually, as the final(?) Trade Paperback of the comic was just delivered to me the other day, and so I read the finale of the comic book sequel arc… not sure if you’re aware of it, but I actually liked it a lot!

A different kind of story, but I thought it captured the characters very well - I certainly read every character in their game voices in my head, and it never felt incongruous with the original source material!

• Like 1

On 5/31/2022 at 9:52 PM, DrBloodmoney said:

L8449c3.png

Bayonetta

Hell yeah my recommendation! I am glad to not be the only one with the "I get it, Bayonetta is cool, you don't have to repeat that the millionth time PlatinumGames". Honestly the way she was shoved in every scene and with a zoom on her butt at every cutscene, she kinda...put me off as a character. And if I don't like the main character in an action game, then chances are I won't like the game either.

And damn, that was a correct point with Bayonetta never ever getting damaged. Gods, Demons, galaxies, nothing could stop her and...yeah the tension fizzled out. Not gonna lie, Dante in DMC is kinda the same, but he DOES lose some battles from time to time despite his coolness.

At least the enemies and weapons were cool in the game!

Also the story was stupid as hell ? 

L96915b.png

Doki Doki Literature Club+

This however is quite an outstanding game. I too played the PC version and gotta say the game was shock after shock after aftershock xD Whoever designed this game is either a genius, a madman or both.

Also why I asked you about the ending in that status update..

You don't get an extra fictional OS in the PC version(because well you wouldn't need it), so having to deal with "those files" on the PC version was a level of meta I wasn't ready for ?

This being said, I should try Stanley's Parable on PS4. I played it only once on PC, I was "ha ha funny narrator yells at me", I deleted it. Should retry it.

Edited by Copanele
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, Copanele said:

Hell yeah my recommendation! I am glad to not be the only one with the "I get it, Bayonetta is cool, you don't have to repeat that the millionth time PlatinumGames". Honestly the way she was shoved in every scene and with a zoom on her butt at every cutscene, she kinda...put me off as a character. And if I don't like the main character in an action game, then chances are I won't like the game either.

And damn, that was a correct point with Bayonetta never ever getting damaged. Gods, Demons, galaxies, nothing could stop her and...yeah the tension fizzled out. Not gonna lie, Dante in DMC is kinda the same, but he DOES lose some battles from time to time despite his coolness.

At least the enemies and weapons were cool in the game!

Ha - I was half worried about that one - we never talked about Bayonetta, so I didn’t know if we were going to have another Castlevania on our hands, given I had a fairly middling reaction to it… the story is pretty flat, and Platinum really need a “coolness editor”… but the combat was fun as hell, which is the main thing in a game like that!

This however is quite an outstanding game. I too played the PC version and gotta say the game was shock after shock after aftershock xD Whoever designed this game is either a genius, a madman or both.

Also why I asked you about the ending in that status update..

Reveal hidden contents

You don't get an extra OS in the PC version, you only get 2 nifty extra .ini files if I remember correctly. Having to delete those on the PC version was a level of meta I wasn't ready for 1f602.png

This being said, I should try Stanley's Parable on PS4. I played it only once on PC, I was "ha ha funny narrator yells at me", I deleted it. Should retry it.

Stupid forum software spoiler tags!

Won’t let me open ? - full disclosure though, I did look up some of the changes from PC, and there are a few minor things that sound a little cooler in that version (mostly to do with mouse controls) that simply couldn’t translate… but overall, it still had a hell of an impact on me in console form - super glad I played it!

Absolutely check out Stanley Parable now - the new stuff has some really funny, quite astute stuff to say on the nature of sequels and the need for “content” that is well worth seeing, and if anything is actually better than a lot of the original content!

Edited by DrBloodmoney
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, DrBloodmoney said:

Ha - I was half worried about that one - we never talked about Bayonetta, so I didn’t know if we were going to have another Castlevania on our hands, given I had a fairly middling reaction to it… the story is pretty flat, and Platinum really need a “coolness editor”… but the combat was fun as hell, which is the main thing in a game like that!

Yep well if I were to say that Castlevania is a poor man's God of War, Bayonetta is definitely a poor man's Devil May Cry.

And yes, combat was fun as hell, that was one of the highlights of the game. I do like to have more control over my character (like, again, in DMC) but not gonna lie, switching between claws and bazookas then slicing everything with the laser katana was fun

2 minutes ago, DrBloodmoney said:

Stupid forum software spoiler tags!

Won’t let me open 1f620.png - full disclosure though, I did look up some of the changes from PC, and there are a few minor things that sond cooler in that version (mostly to do with mouse controls) that simply couldn’t translate… but overall, it atill had a hell of an impact on me in console form - super glad I played it!

Absolutely check out Stanley Parable now - the new stuff has some really funny, quite astute stuff to say on the nature of sequels and the need for “content” that it well worth seeing, and if anything is actually better than a lot of the original content!

I edited the first comment, so no spoilers needed :D 

• Like 1