DrBloodmoney's Super Scientific Ranking of Games!

DrBloodmoney

11 minutes ago, DrBloodmoney said:

Hey - don't shy away from the credit - as far as I'm concerned, I would likely have sontinued to wallow in ignorance were it not for your prodding with these ones, so kudos! You can be sure I'd be laying the blame at your doorstep if I had hated them, so it has to work both ways 1f602.png

I have just fired up Afterparty at @YaManSmevz's express recommendation, and thd same rules shall apply - if great, he gets all the credit, if terrible, he assumes all the blame! 1f602.png

This is true I guess - and I would be fine with taking that blame if you did.

Funny you mention that - because once I finish up Oxenfree, Afterparty is the next one I'm planning to play courtesy of @YaManSmevz' recommendation as well - so I guess we'll have a fairly Afterparty heavy checklist section in the next week or so - especially as Cassy played it fairly recently too.

14 minutes ago, DrBloodmoney said:

Yeah...

.... I do wonder if, 6 months from now, I will look back and think that I gave Nexus a bum rap, given how close to Crack in Time I played it.

I really didn't give it room to breath on it's own, and was constantly comparing it to what felt like a much better game. I guess I'll see, but it really did suffer for its proximity to greatness in my eyes!

Well, when I get to reviewing them myself - I suspect I'm going to have that same problem you just described - because, I just looked out of curiosity to see what my proximity to Nexus was after playing Crack in Time and it turns out - I got the platinum in essentially a day after getting Crack in Time's. Crack in Time was the 25th October, and Nexus was October 26th. It looks like I got the platinum in Crack in Time and then went straight into Nexus at like 3AM (I'll never quite escape insomnia, ?) In fact in the span of a year I played 9 Ratchet games -  woohoo for pointless facts right? So I'm worried my thoughts about those are going to just blend together. 

You might think that about Nexus further down the line - but I doubt it, I just don't quite think it holds up as well compared to Crack in Time. That one was just of a pretty high quality across the board.

24 minutes ago, DrBloodmoney said:

Hmmm - one thing I will say, is, Yes, by all means check out Uncanny Valley... but if you are in the mood for that genre, and haven't played Lone Survivor - THAT is the one to go for initially. I think that's the best example of the genre.... and I think you, specifically, would like it -  (I haven't reviewed yet, but when I do, there will be a lot of David Lynch movies referenced. Like, A LOT of them!)

Interesting - I think I bought that the other day, when it was on sale for like 57P (or something very close to that) - I mean you can't really go wrong with that kind of price -  so I guess I'll follow your expert advice and play that one first.

26 minutes ago, DrBloodmoney said:

Oh God, not half. I already had the game, but getting those DLCs was a Kafka-esque nightmare. How do you have a store with no payment option, and no visible "Buy" buttons?!?!?

It is pretty archaic at this point isn't it - going from even the PS4 to  the PS3 one feels like stepping out of Tesco's and then going straight to one of those Victorian Ice Market's on the Thames where you constantly feel like the ice could break away at any moment ?

29 minutes ago, DrBloodmoney said:

Yeah - there are lots of bad games out there, and mostly, they just make me sigh - but it's only when I feel like they are deliberately preying on people do I get actively annoyed - and when I think they are deliberately faking the 'emotional' side of gaming - the one genre that still struggles for acceptance and for credibility, even in 2021, I get really livid. If I thought it was made from the heart, and was just a bad game, that would be one thing, but the fact that it feels like a bad game which then tried to excuse itself by feigning emotional overtones...

... that really boiled my piss!

Definitely avoid that one. LA Cops sucks completely - worse than Lost at Sea...

...but Lost at Sea still got me angrier! 

Noted!

That's unfortunately one of the most transparent things too - when they are definitely trying to hit all those tickbox points they think they should to  make you - erm "feel feelings."

Yet all of those things are just so inorganic and - well you said it best yourself, fake feeling. That I guess you can't help but feel infuriated by that.

I genuinely would have fallen into the same pit of spikes with leaves over it, that you did with this game, so I'm very grateful for the fact that I'll be able to side step them and offer you a hand out of them instead of falling in myself, and having to write my own frustrated review.

• Like 2

The developers of Lost at Sea were told about your review and were available for comment:

First @GonzoWARgasm writes an excellent piece on Ratchet and Clank, and now you're tossin more gasoline on that fire with even more wonderful words. Well THAT DOES IT! You people have stood in my way long enough, I'm getting some R&C in my life!!

Also you heroically dove in between me and the bullet that is LA Cops, I'll always be in your debt for this! I watched a playthrough out of morbid curiosity and I was baffled at how they'd managed to make such a concept so dull. I was even forgetting the music as I was watching the video! And you certainly didn't mince words, I can only shudder to think how much worse it is that I'm not even privy to. Seeing it hit those depths of scientific analysis, I couldn't help but picture the determination of its quality looking like

homer-homer-simpson.gif

As always Doc, excellent work!

14 hours ago, DrBloodmoney said:

I have just fired up Afterparty at @YaManSmevz's express recommendation, and thd same rules shall apply - if great, he gets all the credit, if terrible, he assumes all the blame! ?

Woohoo!! Blame accepted?

"Actually, I hated it."

....fuck?

• Like 3

On 08/11/2021 at 5:26 PM, DrBloodmoney said:

AWARD-CATEGORIES.jpg

This is a great idea.

On 12/11/2021 at 4:34 PM, DrBloodmoney said:

L8b0998.png

Like some kind of magical Kerplunk marble, it manages to fall directly through the tree of Hotline Miami, yet be untouched by a single one of that game's many awesome branches, landing, instead, squarely in a pool of its own rotten faeces on the ground.

LA Cops is an abject mess.
Unoriginal, unimportant, unenjoyable, unsatisfying, unpleasant, uninteresting... and thoroughly unworthy of my, your, or any self-respecting gamer's time.

Space Overlords was a turd of a game, unsatisfying and unfathomably poorly designed... but the metaphorical butthole that that turd was ejected from was at least a semi-original butthole. 
LA Cops is being pooped out of a Hotline Miami-shaped butthole. That it manages to be just as bad - if not worse - than Space Overlords, without even attempting to be original, (in fact doing its damnedest not to be,) is a feat of truly remarkable illogic.

So... you didn't like it?

On 12/11/2021 at 4:34 PM, DrBloodmoney said:

L067bc0.png

That is enough to push A Crack in Time over the top, to take the crown as the current Ratchet and Clank pack leader!

I guess I'm Tom Cruise and you're Jack Nicholson, because I can't handle the truth ?

L50078c.png

A big write up, even for you!

I gave this one a try on your recommendation... Didn't vibe with the tone (same core issue with the PS3 Ratchet games, I guess). For @rjkclarke's information though, Quantum Conundrum has a demo on the PS3 PSN store. Keen to hear your thoughts too!

L3940a2.png

That summary sounds good, doesn't it? 
The game it speaks to certainly sounds like a "DrBloodmoney darling". 
It hits a lot of the big points most likely to get a thumbs up from me:
Indie game? Check.
Walking Sim? Check.
Metaphors? Check.
Tragedy? Check.
Puzzles? Check Check Check!

Oh my god have I been there. Recipe for great success!!! ... or heavy disappointment. A shame, mate, a shame.

Remember:

1f6a8.png1f6a8.pngSPECIAL NOTE1f6a8.png1f6a8.png

If there are any specific games anyone wants to see get ranked sooner rather than later - drop a message, and I'll mark them for 'Priority Ranking'! 1f913.png

For reals: whenever I nominate a game, there is absolutely NO RUSH to get to it, more than happy for others' nominations to be prioritised over mine, especially if they happen to be new contributors/followers of your checklist.

21 hours ago, YaManSmevz said:

First @GonzoWARgasm writes an excellent piece on Ratchet and Clank, and now you're tossin more gasoline on that fire with even more wonderful words. Well THAT DOES IT! You people have stood in my way long enough, I'm getting some R&C in my life!!

My guy: go chronogical.

• Like 3

I'm in the process of writing my big old Little Big Planet series reviews, and am getting in the mood by playing Spotify playlist of the licensed songs used across the series....

....and oh man - I hadn't really realised just how many songs from across that series have wormed their way it into my regular Spotify playlists over the years!

It's funny how some game series (like Life is Strange) I always associate as having great licensed soundtracks, and look forward to playing them partly because I know there is going to be some new tunes in my rotation afterwards - but Little Big Planet has, it seems, actually been the same all along - I just never noticed! ???

• Like 4

9 hours ago, grayhammmer said:

I just saw that you've completed LA Noire quite some time ago, and given your utter disdain for LA Cops I thought it would be funny for you to analyze a game in the same city but with 100 times the budget and effort.

Good shout  ?- I'll flag it on the Priority List with your name - fair warning though - it might be a little while before I get to it, as I will likely be taking a short break soon, and looking at the end of year awards... 

• Like 2

Man, I tell ya. You could write reviews on the rates that different types of paint dry at and every time I saw a notification I'd still be like "NEW REVIEWS, WOOOO!!" As usual, excellent work!

I LOVED Gris, and agree 100% - the art and music absolutely steal the show, but not in a way like "everything else is shit though." Think I'm saving reviewing that one for a time that I'm in the feels.

Appreciate the Little Big World schooling! All I knew about those games was that they existed. Do I have a Sackboy shaped hole in my heart and never knew it??

Also I love Ladytron. Thank you, Party Monster!

I dug the Night School reviews, of course! You and Mr. Clarke killed it with Afterparty, both of you posting reviews at the same time was a huge treat for me?. I agree that Oxenfree's visuals had a more striking quality to them, which is quite a feat, as Afterparty was no slouch - and that it's a bit more engaging narrative and mood-wise. TLDR - I feel exactly the same in comparing the studio's two games!

Agreed that Afterparty's humor worked better than it should have - when your humor has that scent of "edgy," it's so difficult to come across as genuine and not trying too hard, or worse, being more than a little too pleased with yourself - far too many pieces of media fall prey to that. Thankfully, Night School's writers are sharp as a tack - their characters are consistently well fleshed out, and their dialogue is always crafted with a lot of thought.

Lost Ember sounds really interesting, excessive collectibles notwithstanding, and I've been seeing The TourYst popping up more and more... your pleasant review has made me put a mental check next to it.

Whew! Had a lot to say on this batch. Great work, Doc!

• Like 3

2 hours ago, YaManSmevz said:

Man, I tell ya. You could write reviews on the rates that different types of paint dry at and every time I saw a notification I'd still be like "NEW REVIEWS, WOOOO!!" As usual, excellent work!

Thank you mate!

You know.... a part of almost wanted to do a parody review of paint drying, as a response to this...

...but I'm worried that Paint Drying would still beat LA Cops and Space Overlords, and end up being on the list...

I dug the Night School reviews, of course! You and Mr. Clarke killed it with Afterparty, both of you posting reviews at the same time was a huge treat for me1f603.png. I agree that Oxenfree's visuals had a more striking quality to them, which is quite a feat, as Afterparty was no slouch - and that it's a bit more engaging narrative and mood-wise. TLDR - I feel exactly the same in comparing the studio's two games!

Yeah, I think in the long run, Oxenfree is likely to remain their 'prestige' game in the common view, - and probably the one they'll be most associated with (especially considering the next game seems to be Oxenfree II) -  but I'd be genuinely surprised if Afterparty doesn't become one of those "Did you know they also made this one?!" games, where people are pleasantly surprised by discovering it!

Lost Ember sounds really interesting, excessive collectibles notwithstanding, and I've been seeing The TourYst popping up more and more... your pleasant review has made me put a mental check next to it.

Yeah, know what you're in for with Lost Ember, and I think there's enjoyment there - I would advise, if going for the plat, just go straight into a guided collectible walkthrough after the first run though. I think I made it feel a bit long by trying to see if I could get them all myself in a second run - I ended up missing between 2 and 5 in each chapter, but not having any chapter fully complete, so the guided walkthrough stuff still had be done for everything! :facepalm:

The Touryst through - that's a gimme, just fun through and through!

Edited by DrBloodmoney
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, DrBloodmoney said:

Thank you mate!

You know.... a part of almost wanted to do a parody review of paint drying, as a response to this...

...but I'm worried that Paint Drying would still beat LA Cops and Space Overlords, and end up being on the list...

???

I'm picturing finding "Paint Drying" in the Indie Sale, and in the description seeing "Dr. Bloodmoney praised Paint Drying, saying "well shit, it couldn't be worse than LA Cops, now could it?"

Also Lost Ember and The Touryst are definitely going under consideration?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, YaManSmevz said:

1f604.png1f604.png1f604.png

I'm picturing finding "Paint Drying" in the Indie Sale, and in the description seeing "Dr. Bloodmoney praised Paint Drying, saying "well shit, it couldn't be worse than LA Cops, now could it?"

?

Paint DryingTM

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

"All the excitement of Lost At Sea, with the raucous gameplay of Aabs Animals, and the compulsive narrative of Space Overlords!"

- DrBloodmoney, Game Scientist

• Like 2

So full disclosure here man - I did read all of your latest batch a couple of days back (or the bits I hadn't read already,) but like I said in my own thread I kind of took a few days off from posting, as i wanted to be in a little better headspace when I actually gave you some feedback here.

As always though, fantastic reads - not that I expected anything else.

On LBP and Sackboy

I'm sort of in the same boat as Smevz with this one - I pretty much knew little to nothing about them until your review of them..... What a great read though.

Smevz already said my thoughts best

On 25/11/2021 at 4:56 AM, YaManSmevz said:

Appreciate the Little Big World schooling! All I knew about those games was that they existed. Do I have a Sackboy shaped hole in my heart and never knew it??

So I'm just going to +1 this - as this was pretty much my feeling coming away from those reviews.

On Gris

I kind of knew before I read the review of Gris that it would be the kind of game I'd probably dig - I haven't actually bought it yet, I probably will do fairly soon, although I might not play it for a while, I've inadvertently spent a lot of time in the last two months playing quite a few games that are - well,  games as art, or games as experiences as opposed a more traditional video game, but I'm definitely going to have to play it sooner rather than later.

From reading your review - I'm absolutely certain I'd probably enjoy my time with it.

also...... I can't help but bring up this.......

On 22/11/2021 at 5:59 PM, DrBloodmoney said:

(Full disclosure - I am a big fan of ambient music - I play it constantly while working and writing, and the Gris soundtrack has been saved on my Spotify for years. I have listened to it countless times, and have probably been listening to it while writing a bunch of previous reviews, in fact!)

That makes me feel so much less self conscious about doing that myself - so I'm glad you mentioned that you do that too.

Ambient music is so underrated in that regard - it always gives me a nice calmness and inner peace, that I wouldn't get from listening to more conventional music while writing - I always find with more conventional stuff I get caught up with getting into the music too much.

So much in fact when I was going back over to edit a script I was writing a couple of months back - only to find out  I'd inadvertently written song lyrics into some of the dialogue.... So I prefer to listen to meditation music, or more ambient or low key things.Just to stop things like that happening.

So thanks for mentioning this Doc - you've made me feel a little less loopy for doing that, knowing I'm not the only one - well obviously we won't be the only ones either..  Eurgh - you know what I mean I'm sure. :facepalm:

The Night School reviews

These were great obviously - but I don't need to give you my thoughts on those - as you already know them.

I loved reading them though......

and I really love the fact that we posted our respective Afterparty reviews  at practically the same time in the same minute.

On Lost Ember

That sounds interesting - I can at least get behind the idea of it.

I think I'd probably just go in guide first - if I was going to play it, which I certainly haven't ruled out. I pretty much feel the same way you do on that one regarding collectibles - that they can really enhance the experience if implemented correctly, it just doesn't sound like they were in Lost Ember's case.

On 22/11/2021 at 5:59 PM, DrBloodmoney said:

The vocal performance of Ember is not poorly done - it's fine - however, it feels jarringly mis-cast. The voice provided is a regional English accent, and it feels totally antithetical to the South-American tribal tone and setting. Personally, I could imagine feeling significantly more invested in the game if the voice were in an era and setting appropriate language, and subtitled - this would have immeasurably added to the flavour the game aims for.

Out of curiosity, what kind of regional accent is it?

Like  if it was a  West Country one - I can't imagine a little floaty ball of light sounding like half of my family :lol:...... Who quite honestly sound like they sit on hay bales drinking Cider all day ?

That's a particular thing that grates on me in games as well actually, I know for sure I'd be thinking the same if I played it, that it'd be better just in the appropriate language with subtitles.

I feel like anyone that played The Town of Light for example, probably got a much more inferior version of the experience if they played it with the English voice acting enabled. I've played both for comparison and it's almost a world of difference, that Italian voice acting added some real weight and depth to that game, where the English voice acting, is fine, it just doesn't quite feel appropriate.

The Touryst

Oh man - this game sounds awesome.......

That sounds so far up my street - I'm surprised I haven't seen it ride past on a cute little cartoon-ified bicycle. shouting "PLAY ME, PLAY ME"

Even if it ended up being a relatively short experience, it still sounds like a really enjoyable time from start to finish.

Guess that goes on my backlog too at some point - is this just going to become some silly tennis relay between us? Where we're constantly adding to each others backlogs at a growing rate..... It certainly feels that way haha. ?

Looking forward to your latest batch too man........

I'll say this now - I'm so glad that Bastion and Pyre are already installed on my console - so that they'll be easy to access once your inevitably awesome reviews get me wanting to actually, y'know take the plunge and start them.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, rjkclarke said:

So full disclosure here man - I did read all of your latest batch a couple of days back (or the bits I hadn't read already,) but like I said in my own thread I kind of took a few days off from posting, as i wanted to be in a little better headspace when I actually gave you some feedback here.

Man - I know the feeling - I'm like 3 write-ups behind on commenting on yours - I've read them, but at the weekend I'm generally confined to the phone, and typing responses becomes a labour in that instance - especially when you go and get emotion involved...

(plus, I've just managed to add to my own not-inconsiderable workload, as I've voluteered to take over the badge-making duty for the Trophies for Cancer event, as the original (actual) artist is unable, so I imagine i'll be a little later on my next batch, as well as keeping up with the checklists for a little bit!)

On LBP and Sackboy

I'm sort of in the same boat as Smevz with this one - I pretty much knew little to nothing about them until your review of them..... What a great read though.

Smevz already said my thoughts best

So I'm just going to +1 this - as this was pretty much my feeling coming away from those reviews.

It's funny - LBP always felt to me like one of those franchises so synonymous with the Playstation brand, that I'm actually surprised how many folks haven't dabbled with them - I think I got the first one when it was pretty new, and it became such a staple of co-op in the Bloodmoney household that you forget it's not just mailed to everyone with their voting cards and littlewoods pools ?

On Gris

I kind of knew before I read the review of Gris that it would be the kind of game I'd probably dig - I haven't actually bought it yet, I probably will do fairly soon, although I might not play it for a while, I've inadvertently spent a lot of time in the last two months playing quite a few games that are - well,  games as art, or games as experiences as opposed a more traditional video game, but I'm definitely going to have to play it sooner rather than later.

From reading your review - I'm absolutely certain I'd probably enjoy my time with it.

also...... I can't help but bring up this.......

That makes me feel so much less self conscious about doing that myself - so I'm glad you mentioned that you do that too.

Ambient music is so underrated in that regard - it always gives me a nice calmness and inner peace, that I wouldn't get from listening to more conventional music while writing - I always find with more conventional stuff I get caught up with getting into the music too much.

So much in fact when I was going back over to edit a script I was writing a couple of months back - only to find out  I'd inadvertently written song lyrics into some of the dialogue.... So I prefer to listen to meditation music, or more ambient or low key things.Just to stop things like that happening.

So thanks for mentioning this Doc - you've made me feel a little less loopy for doing that, knowing I'm not the only one - well obviously we won't be the only ones either..  Eurgh - you know what I mean I'm sure. :facepalm:

Man, absolutely - writing especially, I find quite difficult without some kind of music playing, but anything with lyrics tends to get in the way, so there are certain things that have ridiculously inflated spotify play counts - Aphex Twin / Goldie, and all that type of stuff, or Mogwai / The Donkeys / Tortoise, plus soundtrack albums (Gravity / any Ennio Morroconi/ that Gris Soundtrack... and bands like Helios or instrumental stuff like Tracy Chattaway is always on the go!)

On Lost Ember

That sounds interesting - I can at least get behind the idea of it.

I think I'd probably just go in guide first - if I was going to play it, which I certainly haven't ruled out. I pretty much feel the same way you do on that one regarding collectibles - that they can really enhance the experience if implemented correctly, it just doesn't sound like they were in Lost Ember's case.

Out of curiosity, what kind of regional accent is it?

Like  if it was a  West Country one - I can't imagine a little floaty ball of light sounding like half of my family :lol:...... Who quite honestly sound like they sit on hay bales drinking Cider all day 1f602.png

Ah, now this is where my tin-ear for specific accents is gonna fail me - I can't quite place it - it might actually just be a particular London accent, for all I know - but basically a kind of soft English accent is the best I can muster!

I did actually look the guy up to see if I knew him from anything else, and he's basically a voice-actor for hire (you can hire him to read stuff via fivver actually!) - no shade on him from me - like I say, the actual performance is good and well delivered - it just felt pretty oddly miscast for the tone and setting of the game... definitely a weird decision.

That's a particular thing that grates on me in games as well actually, I know for sure I'd be thinking the same if I played it, that it'd be better just in the appropriate language with subtitles.

I feel like anyone that played The Town of Light for example, probably got a much more inferior version of the experience if they played it with the English voice acting enabled. I've played both for comparison and it's almost a world of difference, that Italian voice acting added some real weight and depth to that game, where the English voice acting, is fine, it just doesn't quite feel appropriate.

I'm 100% with you there - I know I played Town of Light in italian, but I can't recall if I ever tried it the other way. I do tend to try and listen to stuff that is set in a particular place in that language if I can - I used to play the older Assassin's Creed games in Italian (which works to a point, though, weirdly, there is no setting to have Desmond in English, and Ezio in italian, which always felt a weird oversight!).

One I definitely remember thinking was miles more immersive was A Plague Tale - I played that one in French, for flavour, and I think not only did it give a bit more verisimilitude to the game generally, but I actually felt like - talking to other people about it - I got a slightly different experience in terms of relationship to the characters. I remember a lot of people talking about really disliking the younger brother character, but I never felt that way, and I wonder if maybe the French voice actor gave a slightly different shade of performance...

The Touryst

Oh man - this game sounds awesome.......

That sounds so far up my street - I'm surprised I haven't seen it ride past on a cute little cartoon-ified bicycle. shouting "PLAY ME, PLAY ME"

Even if it ended up being a relatively short experience, it still sounds like a really enjoyable time from start to finish.

Guess that goes on my backlog too at some point - is this just going to become some silly tennis relay between us? Where we're constantly adding to each others backlogs at a growing rate..... It certainly feels that way haha. 1f606.png

Dude - that seems to already be happening - the number of adventure games in my backlog has skyrocketed already... and there's a snooker game on my list now, for crying out loud! ?

Looking forward to your latest batch too man........

I'll say this now - I'm so glad that Bastion and Pyre are already installed on my console - so that they'll be easy to access once your inevitably awesome reviews get me wanting to actually, y'know take the plunge and start them.

haha - yeah... I think it's a safe bet that neither of those games is going to be getting anything but a strong recommendation in this thread!

• Like 3

2 hours ago, DrBloodmoney said:

Man - I know the feeling - I'm like 3 write-ups behind on commenting on yours - I've read them, but at the weekend I'm generally confined to the phone, and typing responses becomes a labour in that instance - especially when you go and get emotion involved...

(plus, I've just managed to add to my own not-inconsiderable workload, as I've voluteered to take over the badge-making duty for the Trophies for Cancer event, as the original (actual) artist is unable, so I imagine i'll be a little later on my next batch, as well as keeping up with the checklists for a little bit!)

Damn dude - when are you going to have time to, y'know sleep and function.

That's going to take a while - loads of people have jumped in and contributed to that event - which I love and that part is awesome - but I definitely feel for you that you're on badge making duty....

.... I know you will - but make sure you take care of yourself and don't push yourself too hard, just try and strike a heathy balance - I don't think people will mind if they have to wait longer for badges or anything like that.

It's funny - LBP always felt to me like one of those franchises so synonymous with the Playstation brand, that I'm actually surprised how many folks haven't dabbled with them - I think I got the first one when it was pretty new, and it became such a staple of co-op in the Bloodmoney household that you forget it's not just mailed to everyone with their voting cards and littlewoods pools 1f602.png

It does seem a bit strange to be honest, and I don't think I'd be able to tell you exactly why I didn't ever try them out. I certainly can think of more people I know that have played it than haven't.

Once I have a PS5 though I might have to jump aboard with Sackboy though..... The fact Richard E. Grant is in it is incentive enough -  I'd love it if they'd borrowed a line from Withnail and I when Sackboy shows up and he says something like " Ahh Sackboy you seem to have come on holiday by accident, time to perish" or something like that. 

I just want more Withnail and I representation anywhere I can find it :lol:

Man, absolutely - writing especially, I find quite difficult without some kind of music playing, but anything with lyrics tends to get in the way, so there are certain things that have ridiculously inflated spotify play counts - Aphex Twin / Goldie, and all that type of stuff, or Mogwai / The Donkeys / Tortoise, plus soundtrack albums (Gravity / any Ennio Morroconi/ that Gris Soundtrack... and bands like Helios or instrumental stuff like Tracy Chattaway is always on the go!)

Aphex Twin huh - yeah I could see how that'd be half decent writing music - I might have to try that one myself. The film soundtracks are a good shout - I find myself doing that pretty often myself, although Ennio Morricone soundtracks invariably just end with me stopping what I'm doing and watching For a Few Dollars More ?

Although if someone finds me licking a window - I'm holding you responsible ?

I can listen to some music (although it is limited) with lyrics whilst writing - it depends how involved it is - I really like Celtic and Gaelic music.So I listen to a lot of Clannad, Tim Wheater and Aoife Ní Fhearraigh, those kinds of people. They just about have the right balance with their music to not make me too sidetracked by that if it makes sense. 

Ah, now this is where my tin-ear for specific accents is gonna fail me - I can't quite place it - it might actually just be a particular London accent, for all I know - but basically a kind of soft English accent is the best I can muster!

I did actually look the guy up to see if I knew him from anything else, and he's basically a voice-actor for hire (you can hire him to read stuff via fivver actually!) - no shade on him from me - like I say, the actual performance is good and well delivered - it just felt pretty oddly miscast for the tone and setting of the game... definitely a weird decision.

I was curious, so I went and had a little look for myself on YouTube..... I'm not 100% sure myself - it's definitely a Northern accent - it's not too dissimilar to the accent they have in Sheffield, so it's kind of Yorkshire-ish.

He does sound fine I agree - but, I agree pretty out of place given the setting.

I'm 100% with you there - I know I played Town of Light in italian, but I can't recall if I ever tried it the other way. I do tend to try and listen to stuff that is set in a particular place in that language if I can - I used to play the older Assassin's Creed games in Italian (which works to a point, though, weirdly, there is no setting to have Desmond in English, and Ezio in italian, which always felt a weird oversight!).

I played it in Italian first and then stuck the English voice acting on for the cleanup just to see how different they were - and there is a huge amount of difference - I don't think I would have liked the game half as much had I not listened to it in its native language.

I've never done the Assassin's Creed games in their native language, might have to try that - I've only done a few  sections of Unity in French - which are surprisingly good actually. In fact all of Unity is surprisingly good, I know it had its fair share of graphical glitches and what not, but there are plenty of AC games I'd happily avoid replaying, but would definitely give Unity another go through down the line.

One I definitely remember thinking was miles more immersive was A Plague Tale - I played that one in French, for flavour, and I think not only did it give a bit more verisimilitude to the game generally, but I actually felt like - talking to other people about it - I got a slightly different experience in terms of relationship to the characters. I remember a lot of people talking about really disliking the younger brother character, but I never felt that way, and I wonder if maybe the French voice actor gave a slightly different shade of performance...

I'll have to keep that in mind when I play it - I didn't realise that was set in France, so I'll have to do that once I eventually play it. I nearly did, and then PS5 version got given away free, so I guess I'll be playing that version now.

Dude - that seems to already be happening - the number of adventure games in my backlog has skyrocketed already... and there's a snooker game on my list now, for crying out loud! 1f602.png

Sorry NOT SORRY  :lol::lol:??

Edited by rjkclarke
  • Like 2

28 minutes ago, rjkclarke said:

The fact Richard E. Grant is in it is incentive enough -  I'd love it if they'd borrowed a line from Withnail and I when Sackboy shows up and he says something like " Ahh Sackboy you seem to have come on holiday by accident, time to perish" or something like that. 

I just want more Withnail and I representation anywhere I can find it :lol:

?

“Are you Sackboy?”

“Stop saying that Withnail, for fucks sake! Of course he’s the fucking Sackboy!”

Aphex Twin huh - yeah I could see how that'd be half decent writing music - I might have to try that one myself. The film soundtracks are a good shout - I find myself doing that pretty often myself, although Ennio Morricone soundtracks invariably just end with me stopping what I'm doing and watching For a Few Dollars More 1f60f.png

Haha - yeah, that’s always the danger - or suddenly everything you write has inexplicable three-way standoffs appearing in it! ?

I was curious, so I went and had a little look for myself on YouTube..... I'm not 100% sure myself - it's definitely a Northern accent - it's not too dissimilar to the accent they have in Sheffield, so it's kind of Yorkshire-ish.

He does sound fine I agree - but, I agree pretty out of place given the setting.

I played it in Italian first and then stuck the English voice acting on for the cleanup just to see how different they were - and there is a huge amount of difference - I don't think I would have liked the game half as much had I not listened to it in its native language.

I've never done the Assassin's Creed games in their native language, might have to try that - I've only done a few  sections of Unity in French - which are surprisingly good actually. In fact all of Unity is surprisingly good, I know it had its fair share of graphical glitches and what not, but there are plenty of AC games I'd happily avoid replaying, but would definitely give Unity another go through down the line.

Yes! Unity for the win!

It’s not been scientifically proven yet, but Unity is, I think, actually my favourite one in the series! I know it suffered terribly early on for being a glitch-riddled nightmare factory (we all remember the skinless Arno memes!), but I played Unity quite a while after everything had been fixed, and I loved it!

I really think the setting is the biggest factor in an AC game - and Paris in Unity is just such an iconic and well rendered one - it combines all the good traversal stuff, with a real feeling of place and time, and feels so lived-in - in a way even the hugely impressive, massive maps of Origins and Odyssey never quite compare to!

I'll have to keep that in mind when I play it - I didn't realise that was set in France, so I'll have to do that once I eventually play it. I nearly did, and then PS5 version got given away free, so I guess I'll be playing that version now.

oh, I reckon you’ll dig that one - it’s another game that does place and time really well - and for all that it is very much a ‘b-movie’ story, the characters (in particular Amelia) are incredibly well rendered and genuinely likeable and interesting. ?

Sorry NOT SORRY  :lol::lol:1f606.png1f606.png

?

Edited by DrBloodmoney
  • Like 2

On 11/29/2021 at 11:47 AM, rjkclarke said:

I loved reading them though......

and I really love the fact that we posted our respective Afterparty reviews  at practically the same time in the same minute.

And we're reaping all the benefits???

On 11/29/2021 at 1:30 PM, DrBloodmoney said:

It's funny - LBP always felt to me like one of those franchises so synonymous with the Playstation brand, that I'm actually surprised how many folks haven't dabbled with them - I think I got the first one when it was pretty new, and it became such a staple of co-op in the Bloodmoney household that you forget it's not just mailed to everyone with their voting cards and littlewoods pools 1f602.png

But.. but who's gonna make your badge?

Am I the only person exclusively visiting this site on their phone? Also I mis-labeled Little Big Planet, what a dummy!

Hmm... puttin two and two together, maybe that's why I'm always here on my phone...

I love Aphex Twin! Although you may have guessed? I'll have to peep the Donkeys. Definitely a big soundtrack fan as well, most recently Nick Cave/Warren Ellis and Trent Reznor/Atticus Ross stuff.

On 11/29/2021 at 3:47 PM, rjkclarke said:

Aphex Twin huh - yeah I could see how that'd be half decent writing music - I might have to try that one myself. The film soundtracks are a good shout - I find myself doing that pretty often myself, although Ennio Morricone soundtracks invariably just end with me stopping what I'm doing and watching For a Few Dollars More 1f60f.png

That's how I am with Thomas Newman scores?

• Like 1

20 hours ago, YaManSmevz said:

I love Aphex Twin! Although you may have guessed1f604.pngI'll have to peep the Donkeys. Definitely a big soundtrack fan as well, most recently Nick Cave/Warren Ellis and Trent Reznor/Atticus Ross stuff.

Hey, yeah the Donkey's are great - nothing ike Aphex Twin mind you - it's more mind of awesome road music - that's how I got introduced to them, I reckon if you listen to attack called "lower the Heavens" you'll know exactly what they're like and if you dig it - that's both my writing/working soundtrack, as well as my "driving at night" soundtrack!

Oh man, you just reminded me how awesome Trent Reznor soundtracks are!

• Like 1

On 29/11/2021 at 6:55 PM, DrBloodmoney said:

The next 5 (somewhat) randomly selected games to be submitted for scientific analysis shall be:

Bastion
Black & White Bushido 
Lumines Remastered 
Persian Nights: Sands of Wonders
Pyre

With a minimum of 1 Bonus games this round, including:

Gods will Fall

Back again, and I look forward to the future updates doc! ? I'll have to catch up to about a month's worth of batches, starting from your GoW read! ? I'll get started tomorrow, but it's good to see you're still at it!

• Like 1

Final Fantasy VII:

I’ve played the entire KH series, but I haven’t platinumed a single Final Fantasy yet! 1f605.png This one is one of the most popular in the series; even for those who haven’t played the games, Sephiroth is one of gaming’s most iconic villains. I reckon I can comment on this one since I'm familiar with the characters and seen gameplay.

That's funny - I'm the totally opposite ?

I think I've played every FF game (outside of a few of the spin off ones, and the two MMO ones, but aside from a little of the first KH, I've never touched them. I got the original KH on PS2 during the fervour when it released, but I think at the time that was because of the Squaresoft aspects, and when I loaded it up, I think the fact that it was more action combat didn't work for me when I was very much an RPG guy...

...I remember being like  "What is this?! This isn't turn-based! Squaresoft my ass!" and pretty much dropping it ?

I guess at some point I really should check them out again, but the series seems completely impenetrable now, with all the weird naming conventions and side-games and stuff - from the outside, it looks like it needs a Wiki open at all times just to follow what's going on ??

Interesting how you note the Sony + Nintendo partnership on their potential console. If they had done the deal, I’ve got no idea what the current gaming giants would be like today. Would Xbox even exist? Could the original Xbox stand the chance of facing two titans that partnered up?

It's a good question - I think that decision and that partnership falling apart is probably the single most influential butterfly-effect the industry has ever had really...

...like you say, if Sony never enters as their own entity, then probably MS never does either, and maybe partners with Sega or something, and we enter the new gen with the same original rivalry, albeit with new weaponry and allies backing them? :hmm::dunno:

I can’t comment on much else since I haven’t played this, but it IS on sale right now… 1f440.png

Do it!

GoW III:

[...]ever, and as you said, Kratos in GoW III was ALSO willing to kill innocents. Whatever aspect of tragedy I had felt for Kratos was gone now. While his hesitance to sacrifice Pandora at the end was interesting, I feel as though making him kill innocents stripped him of that morally grey anti-hero area. The one thing that gave Kratos any semblance of heroism with his defiance against Ares is now stripped away, because now he’s no better.

That's actually a really good point - I guess that could be argued to be the overall message: War is grotesque, and the purview of petulant children, and so the only people that can rule as the "God of War" are stunted, immature men with inferiority complexes - Ares first, then Kratos... both men who cannot see past their own bloodlust, and live in a state of arrested development as a result :hmm:

Sly 2: Band of Thieves

I find that there’s always a hit game in each decade of gaming. For the 2010’s, that was both Breath of the Wild and Fortnite, in which we now see an abundance of battle royales and open-worlds galore… (Granted, I don't think Fortnite is a good game but it's impact on the market as a whole is undeniable).

But in the 2000’s? That was GTA, I agree with you doc! 1f60e.png It had a huge impact on Jak II as you said, and while I don’t know much about the Sly series, I know based on Jak II that changing your formula to mirror something else can yield varying results. With everything sprawled all over the place, I can see how pacing is an issue. I wholeheartedly agree that pacing can make or break one’s will to replay a game. For instance, I replayed Persona 5 without hesitation because the story was well spread out even if it was a 100+ hour game, but having games where you play for hours on end with seemingly no progress becomes very tiresome. This quote you said here was quite important too:

“The addition of a huge number of mini-game style mechanics, (from dancing, to turret sections, to chopper sections, to escort missions etc,) might add variety, but when they are all less fun than the primary game mechanics, it just feels like the player is constantly being pulled away from what is fun, in favour of what isn't.”

This here makes me think of Crash 3. I love Crash 2 as it improved on the formula, but with Crash 3, you could tell Naughty Dog didn’t know what else to do with him so they started throwing in gimmicks and seeing what would stick, like piloting airplanes for instance. But rather than improving upon the pre-established formula of its former game, it did something entirely different for the sake of filling in levels. I don’t know how this is with Sly 2, but in the case of Crash 3, it is technically admirable that they would at least try to shake it up, but it ends up feeling like the state of the recent Sonic games; straying too much can either work well like Sonic Unleashed or end up a confusing mess like Sonic Lost World. So, to see this sentiment with Sly 2, I can see why it would be a disappointing game. I haven’t played it, but I can relate to experiencing bad pacing and gimmicky gameplay.

That's interesting - I never played much Crash (I wasn't a fan of the original game,) but it does feel like virtually none of those character action games of that era were immune to the "just keep adding side stuff!" mentality - even games where they managed to curtail it a little, and where the game still works (Sly 3, I'd argue, and Ratchet and Clank: Up Your Arsenal,) had it too - they just managed to shine anyways.

GoW 4:

This was the big game changer in the series, both thematically and literally!

One of the smartest things the writing in this instalment did was take the weird writing of the PS3 era and use that to turn Kratos into a genuinely awesome character. It took the lemons and made a beautiful Nordic lemonade. As you said in this quote: “but the negative aspects - the edge-lord plots and Kratos himself - were weaponised and re-contextualised into some of God of War(2018)'s greatest assets too.“ That pretty much sums it up, I agree 100% doc!

By this point, Kratos isn’t an old, withered man per say, but he is tired of his past. He is no longer vengeful, he’s simply tired of it all. Tired of all conflict with the gods, and tired of facing his past. Afraid of it, even. It's indeed interesting that the GoW 4 writers took that enigmatic persona of Kratos in GoW III, with killing innocent people stripping away any semblance of his heroism, and making that a reason why Kratos shut his past from Atreus. He couldn't atone for what he did, but he could at least guide Atreus to live a normal life.

What we’re left with is someone, like the Last of Us’ Joel as you said, now a father figure. Unlike Joel however, and as you said, Kratos is indeed someone with an unlikable past, and it really is awesome how the writers took that past and made it the focal point of his development in this entry, especially in relation to his son, Atreus. Kratos used to embrace his genocidal tendencies, but now he’s a tired man who no longer wishes to embrace that side of him, even “ending the cycle” as he puts it himself when ending the strife with Baldur. It’s beautiful writing, and I can’t wait to see how Ragnarok will turn out. Good review, doc. 1f60e.png

Yeah, that game is a total enigma in some ways - because the recontextulisation works so well, it actually made me glad that Kratos was such a piece of shit in the previous games, because it now feels like necessary background to how you feel playing the new one...

I do wonder how The Last of Us might have felt, if they had had, say, a flashback section, where you played as Joel during his "dark days" - playing as him say, 2 years after the intro, where he is still raw from his daughter, and willing to kill innocents and do the terrible things he alludes to in the game, but we never actually see... I wonder if that would change peoples reaction to him at the end of the game? :hmm:

Ratchet & Clank: A Crack in Time:

A Crack in Time, this one has a cool premise indeed. While Rift Apart introduced Rivet who was a cool character, I did find the relationships between the characters to be a bit too buddy-buddy and less snarky like the originals (this is an issue I have with the reboot and movie as well). Granted, I don’t want Ratchet games to be an edge-fest like 2005’s Shadow the Hedgehog, but when you compare Rivet to Alister, there’s a big difference. I don’t know much about Nexus so I can’t comment on that game, but I can definitely remark upon A Crack in Time purely because he was such an interesting character. He wanted to rewrite the injustice of the Lombax’s history, yet he was flawed and willing to put everything at stake. His story made me sympathise with his actions even if it was in a grey area. But with the dimension hopping being a new staple in the series, maybe in one way, shape, or form, he’ll come back. With all that said, it’s tragically ironic that I’ve uh… never actually played the game myself! 1f605.png I looked at one of the threads for the game on here and apparently there’s this weird patch issue that apparently prevents you from getting the plat? I’m not sure… Regardless, its story is one that definitely stands out to me.

Well, I can say, A Crack in Time wasn't an old game I went back to - I loaded it up from scratch when I played, and all the patches and everything installed just fine - it's possible I was just lucky, but it certainly feels like it still runs fine and everything unlocked as it was supposed to...

...the only issue I had was the game doesn't have proper integration for the dualshock 4 controller (the :l2:/:r2: buttons don't work,) so I did have to find an old Six-Axis controller, but aside from that, I think you'd be fine to I've in if you fancied.

And as a side note, well done with the LBP series! I can’t really comment much else since I haven’t played any of the games, but I’m well aware of the series especially since Sumo Digital took the reigns as you said. I might maaaaaybe pick up the latest PS5 entry at one point, but well done on those completions! 1f44d.png

I think it's well worth it - I was impressed with that new Sackboy's Big Adventure!

And lastly, I look forward to the Awards Season!

Got my Tux at the ready!

that actually brings up a point....

☢️☢️SCIENCE ALERT☢️☢️

I realise that things have slowed a little (I have been less prolific in the last week, as I had Badge-Making duties for to Trophies for Cancer event to deal with,) butI think after the next batch, I'm going to cool off on the science for a little bit, as it will be getting to Awards Season ?

After this nex batch is posted, I will likely take the foot off the gas for a few weeks, as real life is getting more hectic, and I want to write up the awards posts.

As such, I'll do any Mini-Game DLC write ups that come along, and will write up any new S-Ranks to past as their own batch, but will probably leave doing older games until the new year...

...assuming the pull of Science doesn't get a hold of me before then! ?

Edited by DrBloodmoney
  • Like 3

2622.png2622.pngMINOR SCIENCE UPDATE2622.png2622.png

Superliminal has had some new DLC added (Yay! ?)...

...but it's apparently broken right now (Boooooo! ?)

It's been added to the Grey pile for now, but hopefully the DLC will be fixed soon, for an upcoming Mini-Game DLC update, as I hear it's good on PC...

• Like 3