DrBloodmoney's Super Scientific Ranking of Games!

DrBloodmoney

Huzzah, cheers to you Doc!! It has been such a joy to follow along with your scientific endeavour ?

It's always a joy to come here and read your work, you really do put a metric shit tonne of time and effort into this, and it shows! These trophy checklists are undoubtedly one of the most enjoyable parts of PSNP... You guys really make it a joy to check in and hear your thoughts about the games you have played through, whether good, bad, or otherwise ?

Here's to 2022 being another great year for gaming... And of course SCIENCE!! Looking forward to your future experiments ?

• Like 4

Thank you for the mention Doc, I joined in late but I'll be sure to follow your gaming trials and tribulations with a closer look for the next year haha. Big fan of your Shakespearean reviews, you poked my curiosity about some games you talked about and you finished the year in the best possible way with your little awards ceremony. Merry Christmas, Happy Holidays and catch you in 2022 for a year full of gaming if real life isn't too demanding hopefully ?

• Like 4

Thanks for the shoutout mate. You have a great thread going here. I enjoy your other responses on the forums too and judging by your like count, many others do as well. Keep it up!

As for me it will probably be a quiet gaming year in 2022 with work, lots of DIY work still left to do and now a baby on the way as well. But even if I do not get a single trophy next year, as long as everything else pans out nicely then I will be a happy man.

And now back to WRC 5 on PS3 to leave the year on a round 150 plats :D

Edited by pinkrobot_pb
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, DrBloodmoney said:

A little End of Year (ish) Thank You Missive! 

So, as we head into 2022, I feel compelled to write a little note of appreciation to those folks in and around this thread in particular - and in the Checklist CommunityTM generally!

Having become a part of this, has meant a sideways entrance into a scene that was thriving long before I dipped my toe in the water - and has led me into being a follower of so many amazing threads here!

Following along with the various checklists, from @Copanele, @Cassylvania;s and @Arcesius awesome ones that were the catalyst for my own, to  @rjkclarke's one that started within a day of my own, (and has resulted in more metric tonnage being added to my wish-list than any other!) @Together_Comic's, @Briste's, @DrunkEngineer's ones, @ExistentialSolid's crazy Destruction challenge, @yuber1234's Fighting game specific one, or @Destructor-8's Racing thread, @GonzoWARgasm's full-blown magazine spreads, @KindaSabbath's, @Baker's, @realm722's amazing curated list of the wierd and obscure, or @YaManSmevz@popnheart & @MissShake's newer ones...

I appreciate the mention here! I think the exact same thing as you here as whilst I've been on the site for a long time, I didn't really use the site as much as I have recently & you were one of the ones who helped out with that. I thought about what I wanted to do on the site for a long time & I needed it so thanks for the help. I do enjoy reading through everything that you post on here as it's interesting & I'm sure it's useful for people to decide what game might be worth it. This part of the site has been amazing to be a part of & it's a lot easier when there are a lot of great people around. I hope for a lot of good things in the future but most importantly to have fun as well so thanks for what you do!

Edited by Destructor-8
  • Like 3

14 hours ago, DrBloodmoney said:

If anyone were ever in any doubt about the power of the Checklist Community to slam someone full force into the PSNP Community at large, one only need look at a "Before and After" shot (courtesy of the Wayback Machine) of a profile...

2021-Comparison.jpg

I can see what happened pretty clearly.... the checklist community has turned Randy Marsh into a horse!!

Thanks for the nod, homie!

I strongly identify with what you said about graduating from user to member - I was actually talking to Mr. Clarke about this way back when, something about this neck of the woods just makes it easier to come out of the ol shell! Couldn't be more grateful to the community here really, or your fine checklist as well as (most importantly, of course) you yourself, for that matter!

Really looking forward to the Bangin Bubble Butt Bingo Bongo Bonanza Event as well, and rest assured, I will be among the many lurking and watching for more scientific updates! Happy new year, buddy?

• Like 3

Thanks for your kind words doc. Not sure I deserve them though as I'm still slowly working my way through the reviews. I have spoiled myself though, with a new best game having been crowned ahead of where I am. Exciting ?

I know you aren't a fan of the practice but I've carefully lined up the Hitman 3 platinum as my upcoming 20k trophy milestone so I shall have to speed up and read your review before I get to it.

Thanks to the festive season I have some psn credit burning a hole in my digital pocket and some of that will go to buying The Return of the Obra Dinn based on your recommendation. I will return with my thoughts when I play it.

Keep it up ?

Ps that jump in your profile engagement this year is kind of mental ? 

Edited by Cleggworth
  • Like 1

Thank you for the mention! This has easily become my favorite thread to read through. I find it amazing how much you are able to recall from the hundreds of games you've played. I'm just over 180 games played and can't remember enough about a lot of them that to write what would qualify as a fair review. Your ability to be fair and objective along with the excellent humor has made this thread a 'must read'. I also have a lot of fun seeing where your games end up on the ranking and how much I agree (which I usually do with the shared games we've played) with where they land. I only type on the forums from my desktop, but I do a lot of reading from my phone and have had hours of entertainment from this thread so thank you! Keep up the great work :)

• Like 3

Yea! Now that the holidays are over it’s back to work on the games. I just finished Rhombus of Ruin the other night all in one go because it was fascinating. What a fun little game! Looking forward to all the Psychonauts analysis. Braining and Science. This should be good.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Shrooba said:

I'm... being followed? Right now?...... Uh, doc, I don't think I consent to this scientific analysis. 1f631.png Wait... who's that knocking on my door?!!!! 1f628.png1f628.png1f628.png

Don’t open the door!

Don’t let it in!

Spoiler Alert:

It’s that most terrifying of all possible creatures…

…UNRELENTING MOTION SICKNESS!! ??

• Like 3

I do believe you've sold me on the Psychonauts universe! I actually happen to be playing (and thoroughly enjoying) Grim Fandango at the moment, so this was a happy coincidence for me. Finally got around to it, I thought. One less game in the backlog, I said. Just when I thought I'd bought all I needed for the new year...

Every time you add a game to my backlog, I'm going to reference you in the same way that Jerry says Newman's name on Seinfeld.

Bloodmoney!

Picturing you playing Lost Words with your son damn near brings a tear to my eye. It's such a sweet, wholesome visual, and a reminder that now that we're grown-ups, we get to decide what it is that grown-ups do in their spare time, and can therefore play games all we want!

Well... time permitting.

I've been taking mental note of VR games I might like, as Concrete Genie still sits dormant on my hard drive, and Creed looks like something I'd like to play... glad to see I can check off You Are Being Followed! It seems interesting enough, but I have a long streak of not getting motion sickness going, and I'd rather not have a video game ruin it for me!

Incidentally, that game's title reminds me of a Kids in the Hall sketch where someone wrote a best selling thriller novel, and the title was simply Hey, There's a Spider on Your Back! and everybody who reads it promptly drops the book in a panic and reaches across their own shoulder. Sadly, You Are Being Followed doesn't seem quite as funny?

Good work as always, Doc?

• Like 4

25 minutes ago, YaManSmevz said:

I do believe you've sold me on the Psychonauts universe! I actually happen to be playing (and thoroughly enjoying) Grim Fandango at the moment, so this was a happy coincidence for me. Finally got around to it, I thought. One less game in the backlog, I said. Just when I thought I'd bought all I needed for the new year...

Sweet! 

Hey man - anyone I can convince to give Psychonauts a go who hasn't already I feel good about - there was a time when only the first game existed, and as good as it was, it was getting more and more of a hard sell, given that it was ageing a bit visually... but now, it's easy to do so, as you get to quickly move through the series, and see it evolve from the old tech to the new, and the game keeps up the quality of everything else too!

Every time you add a game to my backlog, I'm going to reference you in the same way that Jerry says Newman's name on Seinfeld.

Bloodmoney!

?

I've been taking mental note of VR games I might like, as Concrete Genie still sits dormant on my hard drive, and Creed looks like something I'd like to play... glad to see I can check off You Are Being Followed! It seems interesting enough, but I have a long streak of not getting motion sickness going, and I'd rather not have a video game ruin it for me!

Actually, over the Christmas break, I did finally try to sample a few more VR games - because I'm not working, I can afford to stay up later, and really, the dead of night when everyone is asleep is the only time I'm comfortable completely shutting out the outside world with the headset / earphones... and I played a few pretty good ones - reviews and rankings to follow in the next few batches!

Incidentally, that game's title reminds me of a Kids in the Hall sketch where someone wrote a best selling thriller novel, and the title was simply Hey, There's a Spider on Your Back! and everybody who reads it promptly drops the book in a panic and reaches across their own shoulder. Sadly, You Are Being Followed doesn't seem quite as funny1f614.png

That's a weird coincidence - I've heard a bunch about The Kids in the Hall, but it was never really available over here... until Amazon put it on streaming in the UK like 3 weeks ago! I'm working my way through some at the moment - only started, and some is quite dated now, but I can see what the fuss was about!

Edited by DrBloodmoney
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, DrBloodmoney said:

Sweet! 

Ney man - anyone I can convince to give Psychonauts a go who hasn't already I feel good about - there was a time when only the first game existed, and as good as it was, if was getting more and more of a hard sell, given that it was ageing a bit visually... but now, it's easy to do so, as you get to quickly move through the series, and see it evolve from the old tech to the new, and the game keeps up the quality of everything else too!

Especially knowing that the second one is fairly new! Tell me somethin good, Playstation Store...

Actually, over the Christmas break, I did finally try to sample a few more VR games - because I'm not working, I can afford to stay up later, and really, the dead of night when everyone is asleep is the only time I'm comfortable completely shutting out the outside world with the headset / earphones... and I played a few pretty good ones - reviews and rankings to follow in the next few batches!

Sweeeeeet?

I'm the same way, I'm most in my gaming element when the wife is asleep. It has resulted in me falling asleep on the couch more than a few times though, something I'm told my grandfather used to do a lot?

That's a weird coincidence - I've heard a bunch about The Kids in the Hall, but it was never really available over here... until Amazon put it on streaming in the UK like 3 weeks ago! I'm working my way through some at the moment - only started, and some is quite dated now, but I can see what the fuss was about!

That is a weird coincidence - hell yeah though, I'm glad to hear you're getting into it! True, it hasn't aged especially well, but the good sketches are still quite good! I remember watching it as a kid and not getting that Scott Thompson was gay until yeeaaaars later?

• Like 1