DrBloodmoney's Super Scientific Ranking of Games!

DrBloodmoney

Well said Doc!! Very much enjoyed your take here. 

I platinumed the base game way back in.... (checks profile) 2019!! It was way harder back then, before the addition of the assist options... Which might I say, seriously made the game 10x more enjoyable IMO!

Just a few weeks ago, a friend was saying how much he'd been enjoying the new DLC, Castlevania included. So I checked, it was about $21 or so for everything, so I took the plunge. Needless to say, I've been ABSOLUTELY BLOWN AWAY at how seamlessly it feels everything has been integrated!

But agreed, Castlevania however is kind of the oddball in the scenario. Kinda weird that they opted for doing it this way, but it doesn't really hinder any enjoyment for me with that being said. 

At any rate, great read and looking forward to the next! In the meantime, I'll be slowly smashing my way through the rest of this DLC. So wish me luck!

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Joe Dubz said:

Well said Doc!! Very much enjoyed your take here. 

I platinumed the base game way back in.... (checks profile) 2019!! It was way harder back then, before the addition of the assist options... Which might I say, seriously made the game 10x more enjoyable IMO!

Just a few weeks ago, a friend was saying how much he'd been enjoying the new DLC, Castlevania included. So I checked, it was about $21 or so for everything, so I took the plunge. Needless to say, I've been ABSOLUTELY BLOWN AWAY at how seamlessly it feels everything has been integrated!

But agreed, Castlevania however is kind of the oddball in the scenario. Kinda weird that they opted for doing it this way, but it doesn't really hinder any enjoyment for me with that being said. 

At any rate, great read and looking forward to the next! In the meantime, I'll be slowly smashing my way through the rest of this DLC. So wish me luck!

Yeah, it’s a little odd the way the Castlevania stuff kind of sits a little bit separately, but as you say - still great fun!

Some of that other dlc in there are just fantastic though - I loved the whole arboretum section, and the post-boss stuff is great…

…God speed to you on the 5bc runs on that stuff, because holy guacamole - it is NOT fucking around on the difficulty ?

Coming into the Castlevania stuff, and being able to play it on 1bc or 2bc was like a warm embrace after the brutality those 5bc runs visited upon my feeble Dead Cells skills!

If those assist mode options had been available at the time, I don’t mind admitting, I would have probably used them  for those areas, because DAAAAAMN! 

Edited by DrBloodmoney
  • Like 1

Another fantastic update, my good Doctor!!! 

I have to agree wholeheartedly with you here yet again. I fell in love with Cuphead from the first time I saw it... Back when it was on Xbox only!! A few years later, then we finally got our chance to enjoy all its splendour...

I absolutely adored the old school cartoon aesthetic, from the grainy looking backgrounds and such, to the announcer guy and everything in between! I loved this so much that it became plat milestone #175 for me.

Fast forward to a few months ago when I grabbed the DLC (Delicious Last Course = DLC, clever clever!!), and this was another one, like Dead Cells, that seriously made an already top notch game 100x better!

They really did nail everything with this and I couldn't have been happier with it. At any rate, great rereview and glad to see it got a nice fat boost up the rankings!! Bravo, Doc... BRAVO ???

• Like 2

16 hours ago, DrBloodmoney said:

minigame-science.jpg

269b.png269b.pngSCIENTIFIC RE-CERTIFICATION?269b.png269b.png

A little update here, necessitated by the DLC addition to a previously ranked game, who's DLC I have now earned!

L703ff1.png  L238be9.png

Cuphead - The Delicious Last Course DLC

Aayyyy!!!

Excellent work as always, but also I'm really happy to see Cuphead rising up in the rankings! Absolutely loved this game, and was blown away by the DLC. I woulda been bummed if you were like "Yeah Delicious Last Course was WACK."

Loved almost everything it added, and replaying the base game with Ms. Chalice was such a blast - a breath of fresh air that I didn't even know the game needed! That's about it, you already covered everything wonderfully?

• Like 1

Gosh, you're making me really want to pick up Cities Skylines right now! For so long I was worried that it would just be a lame cash grab for people nostalgic for the old Sim City games, and was delighted to see that you've had a positive experience with it!

I'll probably wait for this autumn when the weather gets cold again to start playing it, considering I know I'll probably get fixated on it and it will consume my free time for a little while, haha.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, pelagia14 said:

Gosh, you're making me really want to pick up Cities Skylines right now! For so long I was worried that it would just be a lame cash grab for people nostalgic for the old Sim City games, and was delighted to see that you've had a positive experience with it!

I'll probably wait for this autumn when the weather gets cold again to start playing it, considering I know I'll probably get fixated on it and it will consume my free time for a little while, haha.

Thats great!

Yeah, Cities Skylines is much more than that - I think than when Sim City dropped the ball with their reboot, Cities Skylines took over as the premier City Builder Sim - and it's just excellent with all the DLCs now - but you're right - it's a hell of a time sink!

I'll be like "oh, i'll just make a nice junction for this highway now, that'll not take long........ aaaaaaaand oh shit. It's 2am." ?

I'm waiting with baited breath for the Cities Skylines 2 confirmation... supposed to be released this year ??

Edited by DrBloodmoney
  • Like 1

Just now, The_Kopite said:

Can we make requests for games you haven't even played yet (On Playstation) but the person asking is really curious to see where you end up placing it in your rankings?

Haha, I'm sure you can guess which game or games I'm referring to lol

Lol - you can request, sure....

but as far as I'm concerned, FF6 will be the only guaranteed play...  the rest might follow, but let's face it... it's unlikely, given how many new games I haven't even got to yet!

....unless you mean Sonic games.

Those, you can't request.

No one can. ?

• Like 3

46 minutes ago, DrBloodmoney said:

Lol - you can request, sure....

but as far as I'm concerned, FF6 will be the only guaranteed play...  the rest might follow, but let's face it... it's unlikely, given how many new games I haven't even got to yet!

....unless you mean Sonic games.

Those, you can't request.

No one can. 1f61d.png

lol you're missing out on those Sonic games haha but yes I was referring to FF6 so I'll pre-book my request here and am looking forward to you eventually getting around to it! Will it become the highest ranked FF title? We shall see!

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
1 minute ago, breakingthegreen said:

Write your review carefully, the raccoon army is mobilising and ready to attack anyone who dislikes the Cooper Clan.

(except for this guy, he's found a jar of peanut butter.)

Lol - silly Trash-Panda!

Don't worry, I think I'm safe with this one....

...it's Sly 2 that I hated with the heat of a thousand suns....

...but this one is a whole different kettle of fish...

• Like 1

I guess this is a reminder for me to read the last two reviews that were marked under my name - Sly 2 and Sly 3. I'm pretty sure I read everything science has to say about the Ratchet remasters as well as Sly 1.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, DrBloodmoney said:

As such, I think Sly Cooper and the Thievius Raccoonus still retains its spot at the best of the Sly games.

Yes! Someone else who thinks the 1st Sly game is the best!

All I've ever heard and seen is that the sequels were better (The 4th one you just reviewed is good and it's a pity there likely won't be a 5th) but the 1st one just clicked with me the best. The way it was presented and how it played, just was something that just meshed with my playstyle so nice to see I'm not the only one to think that!

Ended up playing them all on the Vita too, thought that was a really cool way to experience them tbh.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, The_Kopite said:

Ended up playing them all on the Vita too, thought that was a really cool way to experience them tbh.

Yup - me too actually... for the first 3.

The only downside was rolling into that 4th one on Vita - the Vita struggled much more to show off the more modern game, and the load times were pretty abysmal - but those first three ran very well on vita!

I know what you mean about the first one - there's just something about Sly that feels more at home as a straight linear game than an open-world-ish one to me... 4 came close to changing my mind on that... but didn't quite get there, as that first one is so dang good!

Edited by DrBloodmoney
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, DrBloodmoney said:

Yup - me too actually... for the first 3.

The only downside was rolling into that 4th one on Vita - the Vita struggled much more to show off the more modern game, and the load times were pretty abysmal - but those first three ran very well on vita!

I know what you mean about the first one - there's just something about Sly that feels more at home as a straight linear game than an open-world-sih one to me... 4 came close to changing my mind on that... but didn't quite get there, as that first one is so dang good!

Yes exactly! I was very appreciative of just being able to go from point A to point B very quickly and carry on with the great gameplay. Obviously we are in the minority but there you go lol 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, DrBloodmoney said:

The Ranking:

There are already all three of the original Sly trilogy on the ranking, and if it's not obvious already, I think Sly Cooper: Thieves in Time is a significant step up from Sly 2, and actually, a relatively substantial step up over Sly 3.

A fun fact about Sly cooper for me is that Sly 4 is the reason I don't follow dedicated fanbases of most things, because the lines in the sand are so strongly established, in most Sly fan circles it's always "Sly 2 is the best no question, Sly 4 is the worst and kiiled the franchise and you're objectively wrong and should be ashamed for liking it." Totally unrelated but I no longer go on Reddit either. It is always more interesting to learn from people who haven't made a franchise their personally compared to people pulled by pre-established biases from wanting to be cool with their community.

My order has always been  4,3,2,1, BH, Minigames. 

8 minutes ago, DrBloodmoney said:

I know what you mean about the first one - there's just something about Sly that feels more at home as a straight linear game than an open-world-sih one to me... 4 came close to changing my mind on that... but didn't quite get there, as that first one is so dang good!

I always loved the heists in 2 onwards, every single mission you did to contribute to a big heist at the end of that world, it always felt much more like being a thief to in comparison to collected seven keys (some of which were locked behind races which I hated with a passion for both gameplay and story reasons.) Linear just felt like an easy stealth theme Crash Bandicoot. To me Sly found its identity with intricately plotted heists that sometimes went off without a hitch.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, breakingthegreen said:

A fun fact about Sly cooper for me is that Sly 4 is the reason I don't follow dedicated fanbases of most things, because the lines in the sand are so strongly established, in most Sly fan circles it's always "Sly 2 is the best no question, Sly 4 is the worst and kiiled the franchise and you're objectively wrong and should be ashamed for liking it." Totally unrelated but I no longer go on Reddit either. It is always more interesting to learn from people who haven't made a franchise their personally compared to people pulled by pre-established biases from wanting to be cool with their community.

My order has always been  4,3,2,1, BH, Minigames. 

Lol - any fandom that considers Sly 2 anything but a misstep is one I shall have nothing to do with, thank you sir! ?

I've genuinely get to see a good argument as to why Sly 4 was bad, that wouldn't, be default, apply doubly so so Sly 3, and triple so to Sly 2, TBH!

It's exactly what those open world games were doing before, but more interesting, more fun, and more well honed...

...what's not to love?

5 hours ago, breakingthegreen said:

I always loved the heists in 2 onwards, every single mission you did to contribute to a big heist at the end of that world, it always felt much more like being a thief to in comparison to collected seven keys (some of which were locked behind races which I hated with a passion for both gameplay and story reasons.) Linear just felt like an easy stealth theme Crash Bandicoot. To me Sly found its identity with intricately plotted heists that sometimes went off without a hitch.

Yeah - admittedly, it's a preferential thing... I'm not against the open world style, but for some reason, it never quite sat right with Sly for me. Having said that, if it did, then I'm fully down with your ordering... it's just Sly 1 that is the wildcard separating us really!

• Like 1