DrBloodmoney's Super Scientific Ranking of Games!

DrBloodmoney

On 03/06/2023 at 9:37 AM, serrated-banner9 said:

Also, off topic, but have you ever heard of the youtuber The Stupendium?

he makes good songs based on video games and i'm going to use his song fro Evil Genius 2 because it's a fantasic songs based on a awesome game (Which you should play, i recommend it)

I love me so Stupendium, (worth noting that they recently came out as Non-binary so goes by "They") Here's my 3 favourites of their songs:

Spoiler

38 minutes ago, DrBloodmoney said:

3D Dot Game Heroes

I've heard legends of how difficult this game is, and you were just sitting on it?

I dispute your tag saying "bad at videogames," I have an inkling that you are actually "quite good."

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, breakingthegreen said:

I've heard legends of how difficult this game is, and you were just sitting on it?

It’s mostly fine - there’s one minigame that is practically broken in how difficult it is - which got patched in the US version, but remained inexplicably unpatched on the EU one which did drive me nuts for a while though!

5 minutes ago, breakingthegreen said:

I dispute your tag saying "bad at videogames," I have an inkling that you are actually "quite good."

The whole quote is really “bad at videogames, good at patience”

…I pretty much get through games via the Rocky Balboa school of thought…

…to paraphrase: “It ain’t about how well you play, it’s about how badly you can play and keep moving forward” ?

• Like 4

Wow, your Alan Wake Remastered review was really interesting to read! It was also perfectly timed, as the trailers for Alan Wake II have made me curious about this franchise. 

"Taking its cues from a litany of pop-culture reference points - most notably Stephen King's novels, Twin Peaks, The Twilight Zone and The X Files - Alan Wake is almost inarguably the most "Remedy" game that Remedy have ever put out."

And there's a Log Lamp Lady?! Wow, most Twin Peaks allusions/references I come across are to either its setting, The Red Room, or Dale Cooper and his love of coffee. It's really rare to see anything that is a nod to people who've actually watched the show, versus just being aware of its existence and impact on pop culture.

I was starting to think that maybe I should try to find a decent Let's Play of the game so I could experience the story before Alan Wake II without having to deal with its gameplay issues...

Overall, Alan Wake is something of a game of two halves - in terms of fun and quality at least. 

The premise, the writing, the environmental design and lighting, and the palpable sense of place, tone and genre are tip-top, and on a level that is impressive - and particularly so, given the era in which it originally released. However, the gameplay variety, the mechanical finesse and some of the voice acting are fairly ropey, and tend to pull down the experience a bit.

It's a testament to the positive elements that, even despite the negative elements, I am still particularly interested and excited about the prospect of Alan Wake II coming this year - and that certainly speaks to the particular elements that it does right. 

Tone, premise, narrative, design - these elements are the hard ones to nail, and Alan Wake absolutely does. Gameplay, and mechanics are the ones most likely to be solved by better tech - and that Remedy have demonstrated their improvements on with Control. An Alan Wake game that retains all the good elements, but adds some more gameplay variety, and is mechanically finessed to the level that the premise deserves would be a hell of a game...

...And then at the end, you had to applaud the game's sense of place and tone, dang it! I feel like that is sometimes harder to properly appreciate in a Let's Play, which makes me wonder if it is better to experience the game first-hand, instead. Then again, it looks like the game requires a Nightmare Mode completion for platinum. That sometimes is the one trophy that stops me from getting a platinum, and since the gameplay itself isn't amazing, I should probably just go the Let's Play route. Though I was really surprised to see that the PSNP Guide ranks the Platinum as only a 4/10 difficulty! I'm curious if you agree with that assessment or not. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, pelagia14 said:

I was starting to think that maybe I should try to find a decent Let's Play of the game so I could experience the story before Alan Wake II without having to deal with its gameplay issues...

...And then at the end, you had to applaud the game's sense of place and tone, dang it! I feel like that is sometimes harder to properly appreciate in a Let's Play, which makes me wonder if it is better to experience the game first-hand, instead. Then again, it looks like the game requires a Nightmare Mode completion for platinum. That sometimes is the one trophy that stops me from getting a platinum, and since the gameplay itself isn't amazing, I should probably just go the Let's Play route. Though I was really surprised to see that the PSNP Guide ranks the Platinum as only a 4/10 difficulty! I'm curious if you agree with that assessment or not. 

Thanks!

I’m always glad to get a game on someones radar, or help them off the fence if they’re on it!

So….TBH, I would always recommend actually playing a game - a good or a bad one - over watching it…

…but even setting that aside, I do think there’s a particular element of Alan Wake that would a bit of a nightmare to watch on a long-play:

The fact that so much of that narrative is told in voice over, while moving through the forest.

As limited as the gameplay might be in those parts, watching it would be waaaay more dull, since so much of it looks like…well… dense forest, and isn’t going to be as particularly exciting to just see…

…but you’d need to see it all, just to catch the narrative elements of it.

I will say this: if you are thinking of playing it, don’t worry about Nightmare mode… seriously.

That’s not a brag… it’s a reality.

The thing is, aside from a bit more limitation on resources, Nightmare is weirdly, unusually similar to Normal Mode. 
Alan seems to take about the same amount of damage, and there’s about the same number of enemies…

…really the ONLY thing different, is those enemies take longer to kill.

But the thing is…there’s no real benefit to killing them on ANY difficulty.
There’s no xp in the game, and enemies don’t drop items or loot - there’s actually no reason to do anything but get past them… so even on Normal and Easy Mode, you basically end up playing exactly the same - stunning, and running.

As such, Nightmare ends up literally just feeling the same as Normal mode!

Thanks for the extra input! It's pretty rare that I watch Let's Plays over playing a game itself, but certain situations like 'awful gameplay but interesting story' or a game only being available on older/other consoles are the main reasons I'll consider doing so. I actually don't mind if a Let's Play is a bit 'dull' to watch, because in those instances I'll watch them while I'm grinding in an RPG or doing chores around the house, since I'm usually there for the story.

The beginning of your review made me think this might have been a good candidate for the 'awful gameplay' reason to find a Let's Play, but by the end of your review I was seriously reconsidering that thought, since I *wouldn't* be doing other things when watching it in order to experience all the environmental design and game tone. Now I've definitely decided against it, and I'll be adding Alan Wake Remastered to my list of games to keep an eye out for when they go on sale. Or maybe I'll get lucky and they'll put it as a PS+ Monthly Game a month or two before Alan Wake II releases. ?

ETA: I forgot to include this, but I'm glad to hear that Nightmare Mode seems to be more "Nightmare" Mode! It doesn't seem to be drastically more difficult than Normal Mode, meaning that this game wouldn't have to be a "Forever-95% Completion" on my profile. ?

Edited by pelagia14
  • Like 1

On 6/11/2023 at 0:53 PM, DrBloodmoney said:

The whole quote is really “bad at videogames, good at patience”

…I pretty much get through games via the Rocky Balboa school of thought…

…to paraphrase: “It ain’t about how well you play, it’s about how badly you can play and keep moving forward” ?

Man Doc, this seriously resonates with me tho!! It's kinda been my philosophy the last few years and you only just now helped me realize it. Cheers to that! We can suck as bad as we do, as long as we're persistent, right??!

Absolutely stellar reviews, I particularly enjoyed 3DDGH!! Man that game was such exquisite splendour in every sense of the phrase ? I've been hoping it might somehow end up on one of the PSPlus lists so I can go back and knock those last 2 trophies out?? Someday maybe, I guess I'll have to wait and see.

At any rate, great read as always and keep up the stellar scientific work, my good man ??

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

newtestsubjects.jpg

269b.png!!SCIENCE UPDATE!!269b.png

The next (somewhat) randomly selected games to be submitted for scientific analysis shall be:

Legacy

Grow Home

htoL#NiQ: The Firefly Diaries

Linger in Shadows

New

The Outer Worlds
Killer Frequency

Subject(s) in RED marked for 274e.pngPRIORITY ASSIGNEMENT274e.png

[Care of @serrated-banner9 ]

Can 'Current Most Awesome' game, Hitman 3, continue its glorious reign?

Is gaming turdlet LA Cops ever going to lose the title of 'Least Awesome Game'?

Let's find out, Science Chums!

• Like 4

On 6/21/2023 at 3:38 AM, DrBloodmoney said:

Is gaming turdlet LA Cops ever going to lose the title of 'Least Awesome Game'?

How will I recognize your "Newest Test Subjects" posts without LA Cops being mentioned in them?! ? 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, pelagia14 said:

How will I recognize your "Newest Test Subjects" posts without LA Cops being mentioned in them?! 1f602.png 

Tell me about it - as the king of the shit-pile for over a year, it's practically a reflex for me to type that one...

...and now I have to type out the most awkward, stupid game title in history every time instead ?

• Like 2

8 hours ago, DrBloodmoney said:

Tell me about it - as the king of the shit-pile for over a year, it's practically a reflex for me to type that one...

...and now I have to type out the most awkward, stupid game title in history every time instead 1f602.png

I'm not sure if your integrity will allow it, but what if you just type "The Firefly Diaries" and leave off the letter vomit from the title?

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, grayhammmer said:

Sorry for posting twice in a row, but I would like to put in a request for Minit, a game that I just platinumed and found decent if not a bit short.

flagged with your name in the Priority List! ?

• Like 1

On 22/06/2023 at 11:18 AM, DrBloodmoney said:

All Hail its Turgid-ness!

We stan htoL#NiQ in my house, best game I never played, question is though, would it have remain the worst if it was the PC version given the controls are apparently better?

Also...

Harmony is coming out in a few days on Playstation, and it's got me in a DontNod mood, and their most interesting title in my opinion, especially for the time it was released, It's Me! Remember? Wait not me... Remember Me! Sorry forgot the name ironically. I'm nominating that game for the ranking.

Game video games q GIF - Find on GIFER

• Like 1

14 hours ago, breakingthegreen said:

We stan htoL#NiQ in my house, best game I never played, question is though, would it have remain the worst if it was the PC version given the controls are apparently better?

I doubt it - it would be more playable, but it would also be even more generic.... it would be less infuriating and broken, but fundamentally, all you'd be left with is a sub-par puzzle platformer with no ideas, no legit challenge, plenty of bullshit, and a ten-a-penny feel to it!

14 hours ago, breakingthegreen said:

Also...

Harmony is coming out in a few days on Playstation, and it's got me in a DontNod mood, and their most interesting title in my opinion, especially for the time it was released, It's Me! Remember? Wait not me... Remember Me! Sorry forgot the name ironically. I'm nominating that game for the ranking.

added to the priority list, with your name ?

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

newtestsubjects.jpg

269b.png!!SCIENCE UPDATE!!269b.png

The next (somewhat) randomly selected games to be submitted for scientific analysis shall be:

New

A Plague Tale: Requiem
Dante’s Inferno
Fights in Tight Spaces
Endling
Viewfinder

No Priority Rankings this time, as there's no Legacy games - during the school summer holidays, it's hard enough for me to keep on top of the new games, let alone dip into the Legacy ones!

Is newly crowned gaming-poopsicle-supreme htoL#NiQ: The Firefly Diary going to keep the title of 'Least Awesome Game'?

Let's find out, Science Chums!

• Like 4

AHA, FINALLY! A game that I recognize!

L886765.png

Dante's Inferno

Dante's Inferno is an utterly shameless rip-off of Santa Monica Studio's original God of War...
...but in virtually every way in which  God of War is good, Dante's Inferno goes the opposite way. 

No way...you didn't LIKE Dante's Inferno?

3k7mkk.png

I played this game as one of the "introductions" in the wonderful world of Playstation and...yeah, it was one of the first games that made me wonder if people who praised this game actually know what good games are xD 

I think I kinda (kinda?) enjoyed the game abit more, or rather laughed my ass off whenever I was shotgunning Lucifer's schlong with my semi automatic shotgun cross (DEUS VULT), but my god the rest of the game felt like an actual sermon in terms of boredom. 

Also...in some weird way...Dante felt more of an awful person than Kratos, despite Kratos decimating an entire civilization? At least Kratos didn't use God as his moral compass for the whole pillaging/raping/cheating that he did. And he wasn't lame.

The DLCs, while fun (always yelling SANTA LUCIA every time I was blasting the forces of evil), made me sell the disc so I won't  be able to help others in co-op. Heathen moment, I know xD 

Big congrats regardless, it took 13 years to complete and review this wonderful piece of work. Definitely worth it, I laughed my ass off once more!

ALSO big congrats for being the first AND only one to get the platinum in "Fights in Tight Spaces". That one was exciting to follow!

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Copanele said:

t my god the rest of the game felt like an actual sermon in terms of boredom. 

Dude - how they managed to take a trip through Literal Christian Hell, and make it about as interesting as a TED Talk on the colour Beige, is truly beyond me....

Also...in some weird way...Dante felt more of an awful person than Kratos, despite Kratos decimating an entire civilization? At least Kratos didn't use God as his moral compass for the whole pillaging/raping/cheating that he did. And he wasn't lame.

Thank you!

ALSO big congrats for being the first AND only one to get the platinum in "Fights in Tight Spaces". That one was exciting to follow!

Also, thank you - though it is now my life mission to get this awesome game more play, and usurp myself as that only plat holder - I don't care if the rarity drops to 100% - I just want people to see how coooooool! ?

• Like 2

Congrats on being the first to complete FiTS. A trendsetter! You had me at 'hello' with it about a month back, then lost me during a discussion outside of this thread, and now you've pulled me back in again. Hokey-pokeyed like the agents at the will of your cards! 

... And boy oh boy, get me some of that Viewfinder YESTERDAY. I was reading that with a grimaced face and a singular cyclops eye scrolling your review as if that was protecting me from noticing a potential spoiler at *just* the right moment. Though, it seems that you walked us along a tightrope, and I made it with just enough information to tell me that this game MUST be played this year. Thank you!

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Platinum_Vice said:

Congrats on being the first to complete FiTS. A trendsetter! You had me at 'hello' with it about a month back, then lost me during a discussion outside of this thread, and now you've pulled me back in again. Hokey-pokeyed like the agents at the will of your cards! 

Oh man, it's so good. It's a pity that ridiculous levelling trophy will - I have no doubt - limit its audience on this site... but it really shouldn't. To be honest, now that I know what the plat journey is like, I can totally endorse it as one of those games you just dip in and out of in the "post game" - picking up a few hours here and there, and eventually get the plat - like a Tetris or a CotDG or something. 

... And boy oh boy, get me some of that Viewfinder YESTERDAY. I was reading that with a grimaced face and a singular cyclops eye scrolling your review as if that was protecting me from noticing a potential spoiler at *just* the right moment. Though, it seems that you walked us along a tightrope, and I made it with just enough information to tell me that this game MUST be played this year. Thank you!

Dude - you'll love Viewfinder. It's tailor made for our tastes!

Definitely on the easier side of the genre, and relatively short, but I'd highly recommend finding a free afternoon, and just sinking into it, as it has a habit of just melting through time like a picture cutting through the world!

Edited by DrBloodmoney
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

I was scrolling down this thread to request you share your views on The Cave on PS3 while it’s still fresh in your mind - and there it already is. That must be what they call talent! 🙃

Thanks for keeping this topic alive and active, that’s quite a pleasure to read your thorough reviews 👍

Edited by Neef-GT5
  • Like 2