DrBloodmoney's Super Scientific Ranking of Games!

DrBloodmoney

3 hours ago, serrated-banner9 said:

Not sure how i haven't read your awards until now Doc... because they are damn amazing, here's some thoughts from them

• Still playing Hitman 3 i see doc... i guess the real question is now, will anything ever top it?

honestly, it's feeling unlikely at this point! 

There are games that do many individual elements better - but I am coming round to the idea now, that while lots of game could beat it out on individual areas, as an all rounder, it's virtually unbeatable at this point, given it is literally the size of 3 games, has more modes than any random 10 or 20 other games can muster cumulatively.... and is all that, while being stultifyingly excellent!

• Tetris Effect, This war of mine and Norco added to the wishlist of like 200+ games across all platforms

Nice! 

I guarantee no disappointment! (Well, in This War of Mine, some disappointment - but only because crushing, depressing disappointment is kind of the point!)

• Alright, how bad was the trails of Saint Lucia DLC?

I made it through via the strength of a good friend co-oping, and us clowning on it all the time...

...but serious...

...if you asked me which would I rather do, the Single Player portion of that dlc again, or shit into my hand and bite into it like an apple...

...I'd need to have a long hard think about my answer!

• Surprised to see Endling as a candidate for worst game, seeing as everyone else prasies it

Yeah, so I will say - "Worst Game" (and, actually "Most Disappointing Game") this year feel a little overly harsh - simply because 2023 was easily the strongest overall year of the three since I started doing this.

Aside from the two winners of those categories, I suspect that if I had played all these games last year, none of the others would have made it into those categories, as most of them have some pretty good elements - they just fall over themselves. 

They aren't all TERRIBLE games - but they are technically the worst game I S-Ranked, just because all the others were a strong set!

I do think Endling gets a little too much praise out there though - partly because it's very, VERY cute looking, it does have it's heart in the right place - and it was free on PS+, so a lot of folks who aren't maybe often playing indies played it, and were surprised at how good indies have gotten GENERALLY. Like, maybe they were expecting a real clusterfuck, and were pleasantly surprised, even if it wasn't an amazing game - that it was still nice looking and functional and full-sized?

• Must get to Control and Alan Wake at some point, i must....

Yes.

Just yes!

• Wow... you really are selling Narco to me, love a deep story that keeps me interested

I have to - because it is far too good to be as ignored as it is!

• All of the oddball award precipitants are now on the wishlist, I'll get to them one day.... hopefully
  • The messenger, Sea of stars, costume quest, and Sam and Max are now on the wishlist - I think the wishlist is bigger then the backlog now lol
  • Fights in tight spaces only has 78 owners, treasures of the Aegean has only 270 owners across 8 stacks!? Up the priority wishlist they go

parks-and-rec-ron-swanson.gif

• Interesting how basically all of the backlog gremlins were basically all on the same level ranking wise 

Now that the old year of 2023 is finshed, let's look at the new year of 2024 and hope that we play some great bangers this year!

Finally, some priority requests and some game recommendations (backlog gremlin award here i come!)

For the priority reports can we get inFamous: Second Son and Letter Quest on the priority list please? I have second son on the backlog and want to get to it this year and i want to hear your thoughts on it, and Letter Quest looks both interesting and kind of odd and i wonder if i would like it 

Added both with your name 👍

Will be a while before I get back to Priorities, since I need to clear the new list after Christmas - inFamous will also need inFamous 2 to be done before it probably too - though Letter Quest can go straight up to the top!

Finally here are some recommendations i will give that i think you may like (and totally not to give myself a lead on the backlog gremlin award, no totally not  :awesome:)

L648c20.pngLe64bcd.pngL3c80ff.png

I'm surprised how you haven't gotten around to the Spyro series yet, as they are pretty banger games and some of the best remakes around. Would highly recommend

Ldf701d.png

Picto Quest is a odd one, it asks the question of what if we did picross but with monsters and story or picross but rpg, how much you will like it will probably depend on how much you like picross puzzles

La3c6ee.png

Save Room is the last game i will recommend for now, basically it takes the inventory system for Resident Evil and turns it into a puzzle game, personally i found it to be a quite joyous game.

I think I actually have Save Room bought from some sale or other - I'll check, but I have a vague recollection.

Picto Quest sounds kinda cool - I do like some picross, but the PS options are limited, so that seems a good shout!

Spyro is an odd one, I've actually never touched a Spyro game, and they managed to miss me even when I was going back and checking out some of the mascot platformers from back in the day - partly because Jak II pretty much soured me on them for a while, and partly because - for whatever strange reason - Spyro and Crash Bandicoot have always occupied similar places in my head, and I always hated Crash!

I've see a lot of love for them kicking around the forums though, so might be time to give one a go 👍

I have the maybe similar Virginia (not sure if it's similar actually, it just feels like a similar vibe without me having played either) in the backlog. Interested in hearing your thoughts on it.

Virginia is actually reviewed and ranked already - in  Batch 42, so have at it!

Edited by DrBloodmoney
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, DrBloodmoney said:

results.jpg

1f4c9.png1f913.png NEW SCIENTIFIC RESULTS ARE IN! 1f913.png1f4c8.png

Hi, Doc! Long time reader, inconsistent af commenter😂

Lcaa368.png

Dicey Dungeons

Jesus man, thanks to you and the rest of the homies, when I finally do get a PS5 it's gonna get loaded up with games damn near immediately😂

At first I found myself thinking "Ehhh I won't wanna play this after Inscryption, but what if I end up hooked on the genre? And more to the point, you sell it really well! Even though the rules sound like they could easily get a bit annoying, I'm a hige sucker for the happy happy slightly sinister vibe.

Also the name alone is super cute.

La30bb9.png

Kona

Yo I been seein this one on sale so often, and every time I look it over with that heavy "hhmmmmmmm" before ultimately passing it up. Looks like the hesitation wasn't unfounded, although the appeal is definitely there - to YouTube!!

The Canadian connection is funny, it made me picture you playing it and saying aloud "This voice actor is clearly an amateur.. but damn if he doesn't do a mean 'Oh Canada!'"

"It was so cold, already Carl could not feel his toes" is funny too, like it's trying to get up there with "What a horrible night to have a curse." It reminds me too of those assessment tests where you have to pick the grammatically incorrect sentence among ones technically correct, but clunky as shit. The notification is so awkwardly written, already I can see not wanting to read it more than once.

Do you find that games combining a crime element with the supernatural tend to do one aspect well and the other not so much? I don't have that much experience with that particular combination, but I remember feeling the same with Vanishing of Ethan Carter, where the crime facet interested me more than the supernatural one.

Although... I really liked both in Soul Suspect (to say nothing of the actual gameplay, of course..), now that I think of it. What do you think?

Le133e3.png

Cocoon

Finally, a game based on Ron Howard's Cocoon!!

Oh wait... nevermind.

Seriously though, sold on this one. Addicting puzzles and gorgeous visuals is a fantastic combo! Once again, my poor future PS5.... day one, he's gonna get stuffed😔

L8390c9.png

The Suicide of Rachel Foster

A hard AGREE on all the good points this game has to offer, in fact I feel I owe it another playthrough - right before playing it, I became privy to some unpleasant information about an old friend, which drove my "ick" factor WAY up on an aspect I'm really glad you mentioned - the narrative treating the affair as a doomed but beautiful romance, rather than what it really was.

As far removed as I am from that personal business now, reading your write-up really reminded me how much I enjoyed all the good - that organic tension, the fun dialogue, the unsettling discoveries as the game unfolds. Great stuff, my dude!

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, YaManSmevz said:

Do you find that games combining a crime element with the supernatural tend to do one aspect well and the other not so much? I don't have that much experience with that particular combination, but I remember feeling the same with Vanishing of Ethan Carter, where the crime facet interested me more than the supernatural one.

That’s actually a good question - I think it’s possible to do both combined well… but now that I think about it, I do think the most memorable ones I can think of are generally where the supernatural element turns out to be less of a thing, or a straight up red herring - like another game reviewed in this batch!

Like - Norco or Backbone for example do it well - hell, Life is Strange actually does that too - so it’s definitely not impossible to mix “pedestrian crime investigation” with the supernatural and have it work…

…and recently that’s exactly what Alan Wake II does, and it’s fucking fabulously well done there!

I guess it’s just about striking the balance well 🤔

• Like 2

I felt like Kona really fell apart in the third act. I also was going for the “no vehicles” trophy on my first playthrough which really made the exploration element of the game a real chore. I also don’t love most walking sims, but I keep playing them convincing myself that I do. 🤷‍♂️

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, skotafactor said:

I felt like Kona really fell apart in the third act. I also was going for the “no vehicles” trophy on my first playthrough which really made the exploration element of the game a real chore. I also don’t love most walking sims, but I keep playing them convincing myself that I do. 🤷‍♂️

Man, doing the no vehicles thing in a first playthrough sounds like a nightmare!

I wasn’t even aware of that trophy early on, and I was getting pretty lost in my firs time through (especially since I managed to miss one of the early frozen people) - I’d have probably given up if I had done that!

1 minute ago, starcrunch061 said:

I gotta keep up with this thread more. Was LA cops always the penultimate worst experience; did Firefly Diaries overtake ("under"take?) it recently?

It was finally dethroned by Htlo… 

Hl#lot…

h$list…

…THAT game a few batches ago - by virtue of being derivative, terrible AND terribly controlling hogwash from start to finish!

• Like 2

Thanks for the reviews, Dr.! Very entertaining as always! You've played quite a few games I really enjoyed in the last few entries, happy you did too. Small note on KONA: I don't believe it was "sponsored" by the Canadian Government, it simply received state funding through a grant program, as so many indie games do. Being from Quebec myself, I found it entertaining to see a game set in our neck of the woods, but I have to agree it was pretty heavy-handed at times.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, visighost said:

Thanks for the reviews, Dr.! Very entertaining as always! You've played quite a few games I really enjoyed in the last few entries, happy you did too. Small note on KONA: I don't believe it was "sponsored" by the Canadian Government, it simply received state funding through a grant program, as so many indie games do. Being from Quebec myself, I found it entertaining to see a game set in our neck of the woods, but I have to agree it was pretty heavy-handed at times.

Ah - fair - I wasn't sure of the exact relationship, just saw that some funding had been secured from a national agency, as there is a mention in the credits - and the slight over-eagerness to have the character opine on all things historical about the region - sometimes at the expense of realism or urgency! - hammered it home a little more than maybe it should! 😂

Edited by DrBloodmoney

31 minutes ago, shadaik said:

Make sme curious what - by comparison - you think (or maybe will think) about the PS3 adaptation of Spielberg's Adventures of Tintin movie.

I remember it a little, though I don't recall playing much if any - as I recall, it was kind of like what those Assassin's Creed 2.5D games ended up being on the PS4 - kind of action puzzle platformer with fixed camera?

I don't actually hate that movie really - it's kind of objectively a bad adaptation, but my kid liked it a lot, so I did see it quite a few (too many!) times, but the game felt a bit antiquated - kind of a throwback to the earlier consoles, where movies would always get their perfunctory tie-in game

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, grayhammmer said:

I'm glad you liked Chants of Sennaar as much as you did. Honestly, it was kind of funny to me how all the praise you gave the game only got it to the 74th spot, but that really just means that you've ranked a lot of good games.

Oh, pretty much anything in the top 100-150 is a “highly recommended” by me, so 74 is a pretty dang high placement as far as I’m concerned…

…because there’s games way lower than that that I would still call great!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
20 hours ago, DrBloodmoney said:

Jusant suffers from some rather significant issues in terms of how these mechanics are applied to this specific game

Thank you for playing this. So many reviewers gave Jusant high praise in 2023 but it appears to me to be misplaced. 

Journey and Celeste are also games about climbing a mountain. They are metaphors. Does Jusant measure up? Doesn't look like it.

The immediate narrative - the reason why the hero is climbing the tower - and the secondary narrative - the discovery of the history of that strange, now-gone culture, and what happened to them - are both paid off to a point - but not terribly well, or thoroughly.

Journey and Celeste have distinctive gameplay mechanics. Journey's bespoke system matches players with others with very little identifying or communication features. Celeste has celebrated platforming mechanics. Does Jusant measure up? Doesn't look like it.

Climbing a long way up what turns out to be the wrong path is simply a frustration - and that frustration is actually compounded by the number of different actions the player has at their disposal.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Platinum_Vice said:

Thank you for playing this. So many reviewers gave Jusant high praise in 2023 but it appears to me to be misplaced. 

Journey and Celeste are also games about climbing a mountain. They are metaphors. Does Jusant measure up? Doesn't look like it.

Journey and Celeste have distinctive gameplay mechanics. Journey's bespoke system matches players with others with very little identifying or communication features. Celeste has celebrated platforming mechanics. Does Jusant measure up? Doesn't look like it.

Yeah - the thing with Jusant is, you could certainly argue that "well, the journey is a metaphor in itself" - but I think to do that is a bit of a cop out, because the same is true for virtually any game about reaching somewhere - and there are plenty of other games that do that to much more striking effect, and also manage to have a wondrous, curious, interesting world that actually feels more stitched together and more fleshed out... even ones where the actual amount of info the player gets about that world is less.

Journey, for example, or Rime, or Ico, or Outer Wilds, or Shadow of the Colossus... heck, even things like Toem and Tunic and A Short Hike are basically about a journey though a foreign land, and therefore are somewhat metaphorical...

...but they also tie it into "the journey is about self discovery", which I don't think Jusant manages, since we know literally nothing about it's protagonist at the start, and still know basically nothing at the end...

...and they also pay off the players curiosity about the foreign lands they are in somewhat - either by remaining obtuse, but feeling like they fit together, while ALSO being a metaphor for the stages of grief (as in Journey or Rime,) or simply presenting a really alien culture (Ico / Shadow of the Colossus / Outer Wilds,) but tying the concept together better at the end.

I just got the feeling that Jusant built up a lot of steam in the early game, where I was fascinated by the culture, and what the history was...

...but that steam was never released, as very little of it is ever given much of a payoff, beyond "and that was that, make of it what you will."

I can be a fan of "make of it what you will"...

...but I need to feel that - on at least some level - the developer had an idea of what THEY make of it - and in Jusant, it felt more like they put a bunch of oddities together, and thought "well, that'll be enough to seem deeper than we are really willing or able to delve"

Edited by DrBloodmoney
  • Like 2

I really enjoy your write ups . The Tunic one was great. I had a great time playing that game in January. This whole tread is great for inspiration of games to play. Ty. For spending the time and effort to go into so much detail and thought :) 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, nyx770 said:

I really enjoy your write ups . The Tunic one was great. I had a great time playing that game in January. This whole tread is great for inspiration of games to play. Ty. For spending the time and effort to go into so much detail and thought :) 

Thank you mate, I really appreciate that!

• Like 2

On 2/12/2024 at 6:37 AM, DrBloodmoney said:

results.jpg

1f4c9.png1f913.png NEW SCIENTIFIC RESULTS ARE IN! 1f913.png1f4c8.png

Hello Science-Laszlos and Science-Nadjas, as promised (and in some no cases requested), here are the latest results of our great scientific endeavour!

L7d2313.png

Tchia

Summary

A 2023 released Action Exploration game, and the second from Awaceb, developers of Fossil Echo, Tchia sees the player take on the role of the titular Tchia - a twelve-year-old girl on a fictional archipelago, heavily inspired by the developer's home of New Caledonia.

After her father is kidnapped by the nefarious Pwi-Dua from the small island Tchia lives on with him, supported by an army of animated golems of cloth and wood, she sets out for the mainland, armed with her magical ability to "soul jump" to inhabit various living creatures and inanimate objects, to rescue him, defeat Pwi-Dua (and the demon whom he serves, unveiled through exploration of both the islands, and their mythos,) and restore harmony to the archipelago.

In terms of broad gameplay Tchia is something of a curiosity, in that while it is far more expansive in scope, and rather higher budget in feel, the games it feels closest to in terms of tone, pace and broad gameplay are ones like TOEM, Chicory, The Touryst and A Short Hike

All those games share common threads - a gameplay focussed on exploration and discovery, a relatively light tone, where even the perilous narrative elements (if there are any) are treated in a family-friendly way, a focus on mini games, and a derivation of enjoyment coming primarily from the simple satisfaction of being in a beautiful, "holiday-feeling" landscape.

While Tchia certainly pushes a little further into a more traditional, "world-in-peril" type narrative at times, the actual moment-to-moment gameplay remains pretty firmly in that "gaming holiday" camp, with the narrative arc forming only a loose framework to the game, and the majority of it purely working as a large, exploratory playground.

This gameplay style, applied to a much broader canvas than it usually is, is both the strength and the weakness of Tchia

On the one hand, it is inarguably one of the grander, more beautiful and most expansive implementations of that style of gameplay - and when it is at its best, adds a real sense of wonder to the mix, by way of the simple scale...
...but it can also serve to highlight why that type of game is usually reserved for smaller-scoped, shorter games.
In a game as long and large as Tchia, the variety and "bite-sized-mini-game-smorgasbord" effect is harder to maintain, and much more prone to player-exhaustion and "open-world-fatigue".

In A Short Hike (probably the most analogous game to Tchia that I have played,) the dotting between various mini-games always feels fresh and fun, primarily because there is a limited scale to the game. There are perhaps 10 or 12 distinct activities, but because they are all contained within a small environment, dotting from one to the other feels like eating a bag of jelly beans. There are a lot of flavours, and each one is fleeting, but they are all sweet, and simple. the player can "graze" without gorging themselves.

In a game the size of Tchia, however, that type of gameplay becomes harder to maintain. The jelly-beans are no longer in a bag... they're in a Scrooge McDuck style massive vault that the player is swimming through.

The word is so large, that repetition of mini-games and content becomes a virtual necessity, and so any weaker mini-games become more of an issue - because the payer isn't doing it once or twice - they are doing it countless times. 
In some sense, the simple increase in scale switches the tone of the game from feeling like a game in the A Short Hike or The Touryst camp, to something slightly different - to something more akin to a Ubisoft "Map-Game" - a Far Cry or an Assassin's Creed...
...but without the primary focus on a deeper or more consuming narrative element, the game can feel adrift. 
It has all the side content of a big, open-world narrative game, but lacks the primary engine pushing the player through it, because the narrative elements are more akin to that of a much shorter, smaller game.

To be clear, there is a main narrative to Tchia - and it is reasonably compelling - but it is spread much, much too thin across the length of the game.
The enormous world (which lacks particularly user-friendly fast-travel options,) - results an a game which feels like it can't quite decide what it wants to be. Its exploratory, non-narrative elements are its strongest parts, but there are so many of them, that it really needs the engine of a primary narrative for pace...
...but that narrative feels too small for the world in which it takes place, meaning it is spread out so much, and dealt with in such a staccato, broken-up way, that the player never really feels like they are being propelled through the game effectively. 

Playing naturally, each new "story mission" is generally broken up by such an amount of side content, exploration, distance to travel and sights to see, that the player will often have forgotten what the previous beat actually was, when entering the next one. 
That can be alleviated by simply following the story, and ignoring side content, but the game is not really balanced that way - there is an expectation that the player will be "levelling up" - gaining new abilities via side content as they go - and so it behooves the player to do so in a mechanical sense, while harming the story in a narrative sense.

To be clear - most of the content in Tchia is actually pretty good. There are some fun races, a neat little wood carving mini-game, collectibles, small camps of demons to clear, some light puzzles, a quite smart treasure finding multi-quest line, some good collectible platforming etc...
...but there is just so much of it, that it's virtually impossible not to be a bit burned out with each type of activity before they are actually fully complete. 

The lack of reasonable fast-travel is also an issue. There is - in fairness - a fast travel of a sort - uncovering "docks" allows the player to fast travel between these - but this can only be done from one to the other. The player can't simply "warp" to one of these docks from the map screen. 
Because there are so few of these, and because traversing the large environment takes time...
... often, even travelling from a current location, to the nearest dock, to then fast-travel to another dock, to then travel to a desired location is still a lengthly endeavour.
That is not an issue at all during primary story play, but can be very irksome towards the end-game, where the player might be looking to clean up specific tasks scattered all over the map. 

The primary gameplay of the main narrative - and of the more "action-oriented" side content - involved Tchia defeating the cloth-and-totem golems is quite loose and cartoonish, but relatively fun...
...though could use a little more in the way of explanation!

To be specific - the way these sections work, is that Tchia must burn the totems - and the piles of cloth from which they spawn - using various found object - bombs, fire torches, etc, or by "soul-jumping" into flaming embers from a bonfire, and shooting herself at the target. 
This can be quite fun , though in some of the larger areas, with many targets, I found it particularly difficult to find enough bonfires or throwable objects to actually complete these - or to find fires in close enough proximity to them, meaning these seemed unusually difficult to complete, and took a particularly long time...
...and it was only much later in the game that I because aware that items like bombs could be stored in Tchia's inventory!
It's possible I missed this piece of information and it was delivered at some point, so I don't hold this point too hard against the game...
... but if it was, it was certainly not repeated, and so I can personally attest to the fact that I could have done with a tool-tip or two to make me aware of this fact!

The gameplay and narrative might be a mixed bag - in both cases, more good than bad, but neither is without issues - however, there is one area in which Tchia really excels, and that is visually. 

The game looks great. 
The fictional environment is, of course, designed to resemble a specific, real-world place, and it's clear that the developers love New Caledonia, because boy oh boy, do they make it a gorgeous looking environment in the game!

It's not a photo-real art-style - it's certainly heightened and "cartoonified" to some degree, but it looks fantastic, with gorgeous blue skies, lovely water effect, and some really surprisingly good looking weather effects. Exploring everything from the island cliffs, to the mountains, to the beaches and the farms and the grasslands is an absolute joy, and the highlight of the game experience.

Virtually every part of the game is stunning to look at, and more than that - the game conveys the feel of the atmosphere really well. It's difficult to travel around in Tchia and not feel the heat of the jungle, or the lushness of the air, or the sea breeze - a lot of care and attention has gone into making the island as much of a paradise as the developers believe it to be. 

In fact, in many ways, they the visual splendour, and the lushness of the environment it the primary reason why Tchia works, even when its gameplay can be lacking in places - where the narrative or the gameplay isn't quite enough to hold the player interest for some stretches, the fact that simply being in the environments feels as good as it does, and that there is so much to see, stops those issues being too detrimental.

The art style works pretty much perfectly for all elements of the environment - with the only slight exception being the one city area. The art style used is perfect for organic elements, but when applied to urban structures, where more geometric buildings are the norm, it does show itself to be a little more rudimentary and basic than most urban environments look nowadays, and looks a little "PS2-era"...
...but that's hardly a massive problem, given that the city area comprises a very small section of the game, and an even smaller percentage of the land mass.

Audio in Tchia is good - and quite distinct. 
Music, and specifically, native islander music - forms a large part of the games stylistic leanings and its character - in fact, playing along with songs throughout the game forms one of the mini-games - and while it's not a style of music I would personally listen to outside of the game itself, it is a unique hook, and a gives the game a distinct sound that sets it apart from most games.

The general score follows suit, sticking to traditional instrumentation and styles, and it works well.

Voice work is good - it's all in French or Drehu, as the native languages of New Caledonia, and subtitled into English, giving a nice feel of authenticity, and while not overly dramatic, does have the feel of authenticity to it... and the fact that 95% of players are probably unfamiliar with the language, does give the game some leeway in terms of acting. Whether the dialects, accents and intonations are "correct" is largely immaterial to the English-speaking player.... it has the feel of authenticity, and that's what counts.

Overall then, Tchia is a mixed bag.
 It's a game that is gorgeous to look at, and has a lot of heart, both in its devotion to showcasing a part of the world not often seen in games, and in delving into a mythos not well trodden - and does those things very well...
...but while its gameplay is fun and well crafted, it is spread a little thin across a world that, while lovely, feels a little too vast for the game it contains, and the game a little too long for the story it tells.

It's a game that can feel a little awkwardly crafted, in that it fits into a genre where virtually all other games are much, much shorter and smaller - and while it does an admirable job expanding that genre, the developers zeal to showcase the location they love somewhat overpowers the genre they choose to do it with. 

The result is a good game...
... that one cannot help but feel might be a better game if there was a little less of it.

The Ranking:

When it came to ranking Tchia, there was a real issue, in the sense that I think the games that are directly comparable to it are also generally much smaller, less expansive games. There is a tendency to feel like "Well, Tchia is a much grander game, so it would outrank them"...
...but actually, I think that is only really the case for the one game directly comparable - A Short Hike.

A Short Hike and Tchia do actually have a lot in common - I think I made the joke while playing it, that another name could have been "A Long Hike"... 
...and while I enjoyed A Short Hike, I do think the similarity in feel and tone means that the sheer size, visual step up and increased variety of Tchia - couple with the deeper story - means Tchia has to outrank it.

However, another of those games that plays in the same loose ballpark as Tchia - in the sense of the "Holiday Mini-Games Smorgasbord" approach to gameplay - is The Touryst.

While Tchia is still a much bigger and more expansive game than The Touryst, the benefits of that become more slight. The Touryst does, I think, pack even more variety into its much smaller scale - and as such, has the variety, and the absence of any kind of "Open World Exhaustion".
I also think that while Tchia would win in a match-up on music, The Touryst manages still to win on visuals...
... and even on narrative. 
The Touryst's narrative is smaller and sillier, but it has some genuine intrigue and a crazy, strange ending, and I think pulled me in more than Tchia ever really did...
...so looking at it holistically, Tchia has to rank lower than it overall. 

That provides the "floor" and "ceiling", without around 20ish games between them, without a lot of direct comparison. 

I think Tchia definitely outranks It Takes Two, which has decent gameplay in co-op, but must be played that way, and has nice art and design, but not on Tchia's level...

... but I'd hesitate to put Tchia above recently played Dicey Dungeons, for example, as while they aren't at all similar genre's, and Tchia stomps all over Dicey Dungeons in terms of visuals and music, the fact remains that I think Dicey Dungeons is the more fun and more original game - and the one I would return to given the choice of the two.

That leaves very few games left, none of which are similar at all, so it comes down to "Would I replay this before replaying Tchia?"

The first game, working up from It Takes Two, for which the answer is "Yes"...
...is Untitled Goose Game...
...and so Tchia finds its spot right below that one!

L7667f7.png

Inked: A Tale of Love

Summary: 

A 2021-released Light-Narrative Puzzle game from Somnium Games, Inked: A Tale of Love sees the player take on the role of a nameless Samurai in a hand-sketched world, drawn on paper by a "real life" artist.

Initially living his idyllic, pen-and-ink-drawn life with the woman he loves, the Samurai's world is torn asunder when The Artist, in playing out his own anger and unhappiness over his own misfortunes, first toys with him, then steals away the woman, imprisoning her.
Setting out to cross the numerous hand-sketched worlds contained in The Artist's sketchpad, and navigate the many obstacles The Artist puts in his path - seemingly as both test, and punishment - the Samurai quests on to rescue his love...
...and to confront the misdeeds of his creator along the way.

As I occasionally do in these reviews, I'm going to upend the usual format, and talk visuals first. 

I do that fairly rarely, but in any case I do, it's generally because said visuals are either the primary focus, the main selling point, or the most exceptional element of the given game. 
In the case of Inked: A Tale of Love, I think all three of those points are true!

Inked: A Tale of Love is a fantastic  looking game. 

It not only has one of the more unique art-styles I can recall in a game, but does it to such winning and immaculate effect, that it really does become a selling point o the game all on its own. 

Doing "pen-and-ink sketchbook" as an art-style is not a completely unique idea in gaming - it has been done here and there, to varying levels of success, but it still remains largely under-used as compared to some other more artistic variants. Water-colour painting effects, cartoon-esque cell-shaded effects, paper-cut-out effect, black-on-white stencil effects, and even oil-painted, textured effects are all more often seen than simple pen-and-ink hatching style...
...and I suspect that has a lot to do with how it looks in full 3D. 

The fact is, pen-and-ink sketchbook style doesn't usually look particularly good in full 3D. 

A more cartoonish, black-on-white graphical design can certainly work - one only has to look at games like White Night, or MadWorld to see it working very effectively...
...but when it becomes more "sketchbook" in style, it tends to diminish in 3D very quickly... and end up looking a real mess. 
(Just look at the horrific, vomit-inducing visual style of Drawn to Death, if you don't believe me!)

It is also, however, a style that can't really shine too well in 2D. While sketchbook can work, it tends to look a little bland in 2D, as the lack of real colour means it would tend to fade a little when viewed simply in that way - and most games that have used it in such a manner have done so sparingly, and as an opening salvo to a change - where the sketchbook, colour-limited world is used as a highlight or punctuation, rather than primary art style.

The "sketchbook" style has only very specific applications in which it can really shine - where the "geometry drawn on a graph-paper-jotter" can look really effective...
... and that is where the environment is 3D, but the camera is at a static, isometric angle.
Notably, in a 3D puzzle game.
Luckily, Inked: A Tale of Love is exactly that.

The visuals are, as such, both unusual, and unusually well done. Every environment is lovingly created, and manages the not inconsiderable feat of being both interactable - at least, to the extent that objects and obstacles can be moved around to specific spots - but where every static screen looks like a work of art. 

Inked: A Tale of Love doesn't simply use this art style, it leans into that art-style in every facet - consistently adding new additions that stick with the theme - water shown as if drawn using a marker pen, using hatching textures for shadows, using new colours of ink to indicate new environments, or showing splashes of fountain-pen ink as flourishes - in a way that consistently builds on the theme, while never feeling out of place for the world as established.

Indeed, the only element of the game that seems dissonant is the one that should do - when, on occasion, The Artist's hands are seen, causing changes - and usually trouble - for the ink-sketched Samurai. 
These hands, I should note, don't actually look particularly great -they are fairly low poly and not hugely well rendered. However, it's hard to take that as a negative particularly, given they are shown for all of a few seconds, and so one can hardly expect the developer to spend too much resource animating them to the level of a full 3D game!

The art is a real triumph in Inked: A Tale of Love, and is absolutely the best thing in the game, though that's not to say everything else is a negative.

The puzzles themselves are generally decent...

...though I would caution: they are never much more than that. 

The fact is, setting their application into such a stylish and beautiful world aside, I'm not sure that I'd say any single puzzle ever feels unique, or hugely interesting. 
They are fine, but the the thing Inked: A Tale of Love does rather lack, from a gaming point on view, is any kind of gameplay element that can live up to the uniqueness of its look. 
While no puzzle is ever downright bad, the lack of any kind of specific gameplay hook, means that they tend to feel simply like elements of "generic" puzzle games - ones that could work - and indeed, generally have worked - in numerous other puzzle games before. 

All the best puzzle games have their "signature" - the thing that makes them stand out from other puzzle games. Portal had its portal gun, Viewfinder has its pictures. Superliminal uses perspective, Hue used colour swapping, The Witness used mazes. 
Not every puzzle within these games is unique to that game - indeed, I'd wager there are certain puzzle types that some variant exist of across every one of those games...
...but they apply their own mechanical signature to it, by way of their unique puzzle hook. 

Inked: A Tale of Love does have a hook - but it is purely an aesthetic one. 
The only thing really distinguishing it from other puzzle games is the fact that these "generic" puzzle types are done within a particular signature palate...
...but no matter how stylish it is, an aesthetic is not a mechanic.
A stylish look isn't distinctive enough from a cerebral point of view. 

The result is, while Inked: A Tale of Love looks amazing, it it essentially presenting the player with rather well-worn puzzles types, and making them look unique, without actually making them unique. 
An aesthetic can go a good way to papering over that flaw, and in Inked: A Tale of Love's case, it goes further than most...
...but in the end, no aesthetic could disguise mechanical dryness for the entire length of a game. 

Inked: A Tale of Love does somewhat alleviate this dryness by simply introducing new variants of puzzles, but each one does tend to feel like simply the next in aline of "generics".
Now we have elevator puzzles...
...now we have the "rolling ball" puzzles...
...now we have the "balanced weights" puzzles...

...but they are always types that we as players have seen before, and usually, they are in addition to a specific "mechanical signature."

The other big issue with Inked: A Tale of Love, is the controls. 

While the puzzles are simple, the actual control of the game can feel a little awkward to implement solutions, even once solved, because of these. 
Actual walking around the environment is fine - in fact, the smoothness of the movement against the sketch-pad backgrounds is admirable, and the Samurai moves cleanly and nicely...
...but when it comes to moving objects, rotating them, placing them, and doing all the elements of the game that are key to the puzzle solving, it is very, very clear that Inked: A Tale of Love was designed primarily for a mouse-and-keyboard, or for a touch-screen.

The controls on a controller feel stiff, fiddly and quite clunky...
...and the method of collecting collectibles - which are hidden in plain sight and must be "clicked" on - by entering a "view mode" and moving a cursor to the location - is clearly an awkward bolted-on addition to make a game not designed for a controller to accommodate one. 

In fact, the most appropriate venue for the game seems to be a hybrid console - a Switch, or perhaps a Steam Deck, where touchscreen and controller can be used - as I suspect mouse and keyboard would have the opposite issue - where collectibles and puzzle solving are easy, but controlling the character himself is more irksome. 

That controller implementation is, I should say, not a total deal-breaker in this particular game - this is not a case like Dokuro or (God forbid) htoL#NiQ: The Firefly Diaries, where the awkward controls are a game-breaking issue due to the requirement for precise timing. 
In Inked: A Tale of Love, timing-required inputs are very rare...
...but it does have the effect of slowing the general pace of the game quite considerably, as every new puzzle tends to take a bit of fiddling and frustration in trying to enact a solution that the player likely established pretty quickly.

Narratively, Inked: A Tale of Love is... okay.
The actual story is fairly simple, and not hugely forefront, but the parallel tales of the Samurai's hardships, and their cause - The Artist, and his hardships, and his misplaced rage and anger - are dealt with reasonably well. Neither character really gets enough story telling to form a real connection to, though it is just about enough to feel some empathy and sympathy, however minimal it might be.

The narrative certainly does telegraph its finale well ahead of time, and the ending and message of the game is fairly predictable and sentimental, but that's not to say it's unworthy. A little sentimentality can work at times - particularly in smaller, artistic games like this one, and while I do think more could have been done with the story, what it is is fine - just a little sparse.

Audio is okay - there is some general narration - partly from The Artist, and partly from a bridging narrator, who speaks about both the Artist and the Samurai - and this is fine. The writing is simple, but largely effective, and the voice work, while not stand out or exemplary, gets the job done.

The actual musical score is extremely minimal - particularly early on - mostly comprising simple ambient notes, but it does build into a more musical game in the latter half, and it's pleasant where needed, and rousing on occasion too.

Overall, Inked: A Tale of Love is something of a mix - it's a pretty generic, rather too simple, and occasionally rather fiddly and cumbersome puzzle game...
...but one that tells a sweet, if simple tale, and does it while looking really quite remarkably good.

It's hard to recommend a game purely on visuals - but in the case of Inked: A Tale of Love, nothing else is particularly bad, and the visuals are so good, that it makes one of the strongest arguments for such a recommendation.

Is it a pity that the mechanics of the game couldn't live up to the visuals? 
Absolutely. 
A much better puzzle game with these visuals would be something pretty special...
...but as it is, Inked: A Tale of Love isn't a bad game - it's just something of a missed opportunity.

If the game itself could get even half way towards being as mechanically interesting as it is visually interesting, that would a hell of a thing...
...but as it stands, it is a gorgeous, if rather fleeting and occasionally frustrating game, that's tough to dislike, but also tough to really love.

The Ranking:

So ranking Inked: A Tale of Love gave me a very clear game to act as the "floor" - another game I recall having a wildly awesome art-style, which none of the rest of the game, while generally okay, never could live up to - and that was stylish detective-game / survival horror White Night.

Inked: A Tale of Love has the problem of its gameplay feeling less than the promise of its visuals, but I do think the gameplay is far less of a let down than White Night's was, and the game overall is much stronger, so it should definitely rank higher than White Night.

Looking at other visually striking puzzlers though, a ways above White Night is the awesome looking, if a bit janky and unfocussed Apotheon - and that game, while troubled, I do think has to outrank Inked: A Tale of Love. I think Inked: A Tale of Love is the stronger looking game (and that is saying something, because Apotheon is no slouch in that regard!), but while Apotheon has some real problems - particularly with combat - its issues tend to stem from jank, rather than lack of ambition.
The problem with Inked: A Tale of Love is that it just never seems interested in standing out mechanically, and just doesn't seem to have enough ideas for puzzles to make them interesting, whereas Apotheon had ideas, they just suffered for a lack of polish at times.

Some of the games in the field above White Night, however, are ones with rather more genuine or fundamental issues than Inked: A Tale of Love, and in a lot of cases, those issues do drag them down further than Inked: A Tale of Love should go...
...and there is a puzzle game in there that caught my eye - Cuboid.

Cuboid is an interesting match up, because it's a game where the puzzle type is static - it never changes, and is a pretty well worn type, and visually and auditorially, it does nothing that could compete with Inked: A Tale of Love...
...but I do think the focused "single puzzle type" game maybe works better than the "multiple-puzzle-type" game, if that "multiple puzzle type" game has no real ideas.
I pondered a while, but in the end, I think Inked: A Tale of Love does manage to beat Cuboid - though it's primarily on the visuals, audio and other elements than the gameplay.

It's quite a close call, however, and the game right above Cuboid - Metal: Hellsinger - is a game that while a little same-y, is a pretty unique style, and has some awesome music...
...and while I think the visuals of Inked: A Tale of Love beat it, that's probably the only element that does, so I think Inked: A Tale of Love has to rank below it.

As such, Inked: A Tale of Love finds its spot!

L7bf732.png

Jusant

Summary: 

A 2023-released Puzzle / Exploration game from Don'tNod - developers of such games as Life is Strange, Twin Mirror and Remember Me - Jusant sees a nameless wanderer, accompanied by a strange, gelatinous blue pet called a Ballast, setting out to climb a peculiar organic structure - a seemingly impossibly high pillar of rock, standing curiously in the middle of a vast, sandy desert.

At the outset, it is clear that the column - now deserted - was once surrounded by a vast ocean, and was home to a civilisation of people who have long-since abandoned it due to drought, and as the player slowly scales the column, seeing the different levels of it, and the varying detritus left by the varying subcultures who lived on these different levels, they can piece together the mystery of what happened to them...
...and the reasons why the wanderer is climbing the column now.

Mechanically, Jusant operates as somewhere between a Walking Sim (in terms of narrative,) a puzzle game (in terms of figuring out the different methods required to climb different sections of the column,) wrapped in the trappings of exploratory traversal game.

The wandering stranger has various methods of climbing available to him - the use of ropes, placing of pitons, swinging and wall-running, and there are different in-environment elements that add different elements into the mix - climbable hand-holds, vines that the little ballast can "stimulated" to grow and create paths etc...
... and the player must manage a constant battle between stamina and gripping strength - finding platforms and new piton areas as they go, while maintaining their balance and strength, and contending with the terrain and weather. 
Rope length must be managed - there is a finite length of slack the wanderer can muster, before having to "reset" his safety rope...
... and each level that he reaches generally introduces a new element to this climbing arsenal - ether a new in-environment obstacle or aid to contend with, or a new element to the use of his own climbing tools.

These climbing mechanics form the majority of the game - and the method of control and mechanics are relatively loose. 
In some ways, Jusant feels similar in that way to another climbing game - Grow Home - in the sense that movement is done in a very "tactile" way, each hand being independently controlled, and each having its own "grip" button - L2 and R2 - so the process of climbing and exploring feels quite slow and deliberate, but also quite mechanically satisfying.
Unfortunately though, while the mechanics of Jusant are good, and fun to use, and in that sense bear some resemblance to Grow Home (a game I liked quite a bit)...
...Jusant suffers from some rather significant issues in terms of how these mechanics are applied to this specific game.

The biggest problem with Jusant is that while the gameplay feels, technically and mechanically, similar to something like Grow Home...
... unlike Grow Home, Jusant has only one viable path to progress at any given point.

In Grow Home, the loose, mechanical feel of the climbing - of putting one hand in front of the other, and finding a way to get higher and higher, and eventually looking down and seeing just how far you have come - felt like the player solving a problem, and achieving a goal based on their own efforts, because there were many different ways they could approach a climb. 
They could play it safe and go the most obvious path, or try a risky jump, or a difficult climb, or drop off and soar to a new vine to perhaps find a better way. Those decisions were all about the player finding their way to progress. There was no single, correct  path - there were many different possible paths of varying difficulty.

In Jusant, however, while the player does have the freedom to try many different actions, and to climb multiple different ways, only one of these paths is actually possible to proceed fully. Most end in dead ends.There is a correct path, and many incorrect paths.

As a result, rather than the player feeling like they have the freedom to solve the problem their own way, they instead feel like they have the freedom, simply, to fail over and over, before stumbling into the specific solution the developer wants them to find.

While there can be some fun to be had in figuring out which of these paths is the right one, the process of playing the game is markedly diminished by this. 
Climbing a long way up what turns out to be the wrong path is simply a frustration - and that frustration is actually compounded by the number of different actions the player has at their disposal. Because certain elements of the world are climbable, and some are not - and in some cases, a vine must be "activated" to make a path clear, or a certain distant texture must be identified as being "grippable" or not, or the movement of moving "hand-holds" identified, there is a real issue of the player getting so-far up the correct path, not noticing the small detail showing a possible way to continue...
... and therefore assuming that path is one of the many non-viable ones. 
That is liable to result in them discarding that path from consideration, and only returning to re-examine it after suffering similar issues in all other inviable paths around the area. 

In some games, that might be a smaller issue - indeed, it is an issue of some level in many games - but in Jusant, it is a particularly irksome one, simple because traversing these paths is the game...

...and it takes time. 

The mechanical looseness of the climbing actions don't really mesh very well with the strict, intractable pathing the developer has laid out, because the mechanics invite the player to experiment - to try many things - and so the viable paths have to be fairly well disguised, in order to avoid the player simply bounding up them too fast. 
That means a constant feeling of "is this going to be the right way" is put on the player - and when they discover it is not, (or they assume it is not, due to missing a context clue,) they then have no choice but to work their way back down, to try somewhere else.

The game does try to give some loose guidance to alleviate this issue - a button press will show a very loose indicator of the rough direction the player should be going - but these indicators are very vague. 
In most cases, they pretty much just indicate "up"...
...which, given that the entire premise of the game is to climb up, is not terrible helpful!

That means that Jusant isn't really a mechanically satisfying game.
It feels like one in which the player is given a toolset, but these tools only really exist for them to find a path that has a already been set for them, and the gameplay is essentially a simple trial-and-error process of establishing which paths are red herrings. 
Because the toolset is one that would be much more suited to a multi-path game (like a Grow Home,) that process of sorting the red-herrings from the "correct" path is also made unnecessarily and frustratingly irksome, because in order to avoid the player managing to "bypass" the correct path, and find their own way, the actual "correct" paths have to be particularly convoluted, hidden, and require specific sets of actions...
...and woe-betide any player who forgets one of the many actions they have available, and therefore discounts what turns out the be the only real path to victory.

Since Jusant isn't a mechanically variable game, what it has to fall back on for entertainment and artistic value is more akin to the elements something like a Walking Sim would. 
Namely: Visuals, Audio, Tone, and narrative.

Some of these are better than others.

Visually, and auditorially, Jusant is a success. 
The visual palate is a nice one - a pastel-shaded, low-poly-by-design visual style, akin to something like Rime, and it works very well for the kind of "mysterious mysticism"/ "forgotten world" tone the game strikes. 
The art and design of the cliff faces, and of the different biomes that exists at differing levels of the gargantuan structure are all distinct, and often quite beautiful - and things like weather effects and vistas, and textures on the surroundings, are lovely to see.

Sound is played in a minimalist way - but used pretty effectively. 
The scratches and scrapes of the rock faces, the tinkle of pebbles falling, and the odd, echoey sounds of the rocks, in caves and on cliff faces, and the grunts and strains of the nameless wanderer as he traverses are all quite evocative. The lash of rain or the crunch of snow in upper levels of the column add a lot to the game, and the infrequent uses of music all work very well.

The strange, unusual and distinct nature of the long gone society - the cliff dwelling peoples, whom the nameless hero is navigating the leftovers of and learning about via their writings and left-behind diaries - is played well, and leaned into effectively with the art design.  There is something quite unique about the culture being created - cliff-dwelling, yet most aesthetically and culturally similar to nautical or islander fishing communities - is all very distinct, and it makes for a fascinating and interesting history to the place that the player is immediately drawn into wanting to investigate.

The down side, to this, however, is that even once every single piece of text in the game is found and read, and every written element of that culture examined...
...the game still never quite manages to pay off the premise of this unusual culture with a satisfying conclusion. 

The immediate narrative - the reason why the hero is climbing the tower - and the secondary narrative - the discovery of the history of that strange, now-gone culture, and what happened to them - are both paid off to a point - but not terribly well, or thoroughly.

There is just not enough real information given to feel like the loop has been closed on the interesting premise. 

A generous reading of the games text might conclude that the developer is simply choosing to be ambiguous for artistic reasons - indeed, there are games (like Rime, or, more successfully, Ico, or Shadow of the Colossus,) which build their mystique by revealing less specific detail of their lore. They allow the art and the ambiguity to feed the player imagination better than any specifics might...
...but in the case of Jusant, that wasn't the feeling I got upon its conclusion. 

Perhaps the developer simply didn't land the ending as well as those games did...
...but I suspect the real reason that Jusant feels lesser than those other games that don't explicitly reveal their lore, is that the developer didn't have a satisfying lore to not reveal.

A game like Shadow of the Colossus works, because while the game never overtly states what the nature of the world, or the characters are, the sense the player gets that there is a complete lore - they simply are not privy to all of it. The world has the feeling that it is all worked out, and does all tie together in a cool and interesting way..
...they just aren't in a position to piece it all together.
With Jusant, however, the sense I got was that the ambiguity is not an artistic choice, but an artistic necessity... 
...because I suspect that the lore simply wouldn't add up if it were all explained away. The actual conceptual reality of such a society, and how it actually worked - and the reasons for the drought - are simply too wishy-washy and ill defined to feel whole. 
It feels like a world designed to show some interesting details that draw the player in, but not really designed to hold up to any scrutiny.

The feeling when playing Shadow of the Colossus, is that the player is privy to only some of the pieces of a large jigsaw puzzle, but that there is a full puzzle that would work. 
In Jusant, it also feels like the player has only some of the pieces...
...but that if they had them all, they would realise they don't all fit together.

Overall, Jusant is a game that has good elements, but for every good thing it does, it seems determined to undermine itself.
It is a reasonable enough mechanical game - one where the actual traversal mechanics are fun to use, and varied enough to remain interesting - but they are hampered by its premise - in that it has all the elements of an exploratory game, but applies them to a much more linear, more stringent game design than they should be.

The artistic elements - the visuals and the sounds - are very good, and the set up and design around the forgotten culture, and the hero's quest, are well implemented and intriguing at the outset, but they are shown to be a little thin in premise, and the solution to that problem that the developer uses - to try and hide lack of detail behind artistic ambiguity - doesn't really work...
...and results in a conclusion that feels at best, baffling, and at worst, unsatisfying.

Jusant is a game that could have worked significantly better with a looser framework for progression, and a little more specificity and detail in the narrative...
...and that feels like a shame, as the bones and premise of Jusant are solid.
The game as released, however, never really feels it.

The Ranking:

So if it's not obvious from the number of comparisons in the review, the obvious game to provide an initial match-up for Jusant is...
...you guessed it: Grow Home.

Now, Grow Home is a mechanically similar game, and one that is much simpler - in narrative, in visuals, in gameplay...
...but Grow Home feels much more like the game these similar mechanics should be applied to. It works in a way Jusant doesn't really - and I think fundamentally, that has to be the decider. Certainly, while I like the visual look and the music and a lot of the tertiary elements of Jusant more, the fact is, I can state categorically that I would replay Grow Home before replaying Jusant, so it must be more awesome!

The games immediately below Grow Home, however, are odd ones to consider, as while I like the core mechanics of Jusant more than some of theirs, I do think the mis-application of them harms that as a positive. I like the act of climbing in Jusant a lot more than, for example, the gameplay fundamentals of Apotheon...
...but while Apotheon has issues, I think Jusant does too, and its are more core and fundamental.

I worked down from Grow Home, simple looking for games that had good ideas, but maybe flawed concepts of mechanics, and found a few here and there, but nothing that immediately jumped out, so instead, I simply asked myself "Would I replay this before replaying Jusant?"...
...and the first game down from Grow Home to which the answer was "Yes"...
..was another Don'tNod game: Twin Mirror.

Twin Mirror had some ideas, but again, didn't always know how to apply them well - and in a lot of ways felt like the red-headed step-child of Life is Strange, but without the heart and soul.
It was an interesting game, but fundamentally not one that really hit on any big fronts...
...and while I do think Twin Mirror at least did a better job of landing its narrative, Jusant does have the more interesting premise - and beats it on art design, visuals, audio, and has the fun mechanics, even if they are rather constrained by the game design. 

As such, Jusant outranks Twin Mirror, and finds itself ranked right above its Don'tNod brother!

Lea1f69.png

Tinykin

Summary: 

A platforming collect-a-thon puzzler from Splashteam and released in 2022, Tinykin takes heavy gameplay inspiration from games like Pikmin and early mascot platformers, fuses it with a Paper Mario-esque sensibility and aesthetic, and adds it all to a  "Honey, I Shrunk the Kids" design.... 
...to very winning effect!

The player take on the role of Milo - an archaeologist from the planet Aegis. 
Milo is human, but not human as we understand it... 
...as the year is 2748, and humanity has changed quite a bit! 

Almost microscopic in size now, humanity has long since abandoned Earth, and the origins of their race are somewhat lost to the annuls of history...
...but Milo - adventuring, curious, cheerful chap that he is - has set out to unravel some of those mysteries. 

Crash landing on a neighbouring planet - Earth - Milo finds himself in a rather foreign location: A perfectly ordinary family home, circa 1990... but one where the insects, bugs, grubs and various small creatures have formed a grand society, with different cultures having built up in each distinct room of the house... 
...and in which, mysterious blob-like creatures called "tinykin" have infested the entire place.

After meeting an eccentric inventor and scholar - Ridmi - Milo is made aware of a possible invention that might help him escape the house (and the planet) and return home to Aegis, and so sets about gathering the components required to craft it - each of which resides in a different room of the house. 
By using his adventurer skills - and with help from the strange tinykin, who take a liking to Milo - the player must gather each of these items while exploring each area.

From a gameplay stand-point, Tinykin is something of an oddity in 2023, as it harkens back to a much earlier style of gameplay, which has largely disappeared: the loose-platformer collect-a-thon. 

Each individual level (room) is essentially a large sandbox playground, and while there is a specific, distinct "end-goal" to each one (find the component), really, this functions simply as a way to push the character into each new area. The meat of the game is in exploring the house and seeing the imaginative and fun ways in which different household rooms and objects have been fashioned into large open-sandbox platform levels, and in the huge number of mini-puzzles and mini-games associated with each.

The basic loop of the game revolves around finding the eponymous "tinykin" in each new level. In each room, there are literally hundreds of these little creatures around - and finding them causes them to follow Milo around, and aid him in his progress.

There are different colours of tinykin, each of which have different abilities. 
The "basic" pink ones can lift objects, red ones explode, breaking objects, blue ones conduct electricity, green ones can "stack" to form a bean-stalk ladder, and yellow ones can connect to form a bridge...
...and virtually every interactable element within each level requires a certain number of a given type to make use of. 
A specific bridge, for example, might require 30 yellow tinykin to use, (something the game tells the player at each juncture,) a certain object might require ten red tinykin to blow up, reaching a specific platform might require 40 green tinykin to stack, etc.

This means each level essentially boils down to exploring, finding enough tinykin to proceed to a new area within it, in which more tinykin can be found, which grants access to more areas, which contain more tinykin... etc etc etc, building towards an eventual goal of finding the component hidden somewhere deep in the level.
Tinykin themselves, while friendly towards Milo, are tied to specific rooms, and do not move between them, so each level retains its own element of discrete progress - and the game avoids being "broken" by simply importing a huge number of tinykin from one to the other.

It's a very simple gameplay loop - and indeed, not one that can support a huge amount of playtime - however, it is one that is made very satisfying by the smart implementation of "soft progress barriers" via the availability of tinykin. Each level (of which there are 6 or 7) has a satisfying progression loop of around an hour or so, where the player begins simply exploring lower areas, and generally working their way up - reaching new areas, and always being able to see the full room, and get a sense of how far they are progressing.

A simple gameplay loop like that could become stale, of course - there isn't a huge amount of meat to it on its own - but that is never really a factor in Tinykin, simply because all the elements around it - the visual style, the tone, the sound and the narrative and humour elements are all vey much on point.

In terms of visuals and design, the game is a real slam-dunk.
The art style of Tinykin is gorgeous to look at - the whole house is rendered in lovely looking 3D, and every character is the kind of 2D "paper-cut-out" style where no matter what direction the player looks from, the characters "rotate" to face them straight on. 
The effect is rather old-school - it has some of the same feeling as the early 3D dungeon shooters like Wolfenstein or DOOM, but because the characters in Tinykin are lovely looking, well rendered, hand-drawn-looking cartoon characters, with a lot of personality packed into their expressions and details, it manages to make the game somehow look both old and new at the same time.

The design of the house and the levels is great too.
I have, full-disclosure, a real soft-spot for "small creature in an oversized world" design. 
From Micro Machines, to Little Big Planet, to Grounded, to even things like Little Nightmares, it's an aesthetic I always enjoy, particularly in the inventive ways everyday household items can become huge obstacles, or dangers, when the player is tiny by comparison. 
Hell, there is a reason why the narratively rancid and rather gameplay-soft It Takes Two still ranked relatively high on the list!)
The fact that Tinykin manages to do this trope so well, and combine it with some mystery element - what exactly happened to humanity, and why is this house abandoned seemingly in the early 90s? -  means simply being in the rooms has a double-edged element of curiosity. The player is both enamoured of seeing the different areas, and is constantly hunting for context clues about the people who live - or lived - here. 

It also affords the game a lot of forward momentum, as each room is distinct. It's difficult, when seeing the living room, or the bathroom, not to think, "I wonder what will be going on in the kitchen, or the bedroom?" - and because each area has its own distinct insectoid "society" there is both an element of "past mystery" (the human residents) and "current mystery" what is going on with this society now, to keep the player engaged... 
...and that's even before the individual puzzles and mini-games are considered!

Audio is good in the game too - there is a score that is jaunty and bouncy in all the right ways - upbeat and fun, without becoming grating or overly repetitive - but the biggest accolade for the audio has to go to the sound effects, which are excellent!
The pop of bubbles, or the explosions, or squishy-plops of tinykin bouncing along behind Milo are absurdly well done, and super satisfying in a strangely ASMR type of way.
That might seem like a small thing, but in a game like Tinykin, it's hard to overstate just how important sound effects can be - and this game shows why!

The narrative is something a little odd, as while I would say it is just perfect for 90% of the game - bouncy, silly and zany, with a cheery, fun tone and a perfectly pitched "some mild peril, but not taking itself too seriously" style of younger-audience-appropriate fun...
...it does, for some reason, rather sour itself at the very end.

I don't actually think it is a major downfall, as it is a very small section of the finale of the game, and really, only covers a few minutes of an 8-10 hour playtime...
... but for some reason, the game takes a hard swing away from the light, fun tone at the end, and gets into some rather emotive, sad, bleak elements.

It's a slightly baffling tonal switch, as this section feels wildly outside of the tenor that the entire rest of the game has cultivated, and feels like it would be rather sad and confusing for the younger players. Tinykin is definitely a game to be enjoyed by the whole family, and I - a 40-year-old man - had a great time with its fun, goofy story, great design and simply gameplay - but it is one game that is clearly approachable for the younger kids for the majority...
...so that ending feels particularly odd in that context.
More than that though - for all the great elements of Tinykin, it is still a very light-hearted game in terms of narrative and design - so going "emotional and maudlin" at the very end doesn't just feel incongruous - it feels rather unearned.

One narrative hiccup aside, however, I think the writing in the game is generally very good. 
It's a simple and silly story, and the characters work well - there is plenty of humour to them, and while there isn't a huge amount of dialogue, it is still peppered with jokes and amusing parts, and these work far more often than they don't. The tone put me in mind, (I think 100% deliberately,) of N64-era platformers, and that is a good pitch to hit.

Overall, Tinykin is a simple game - but one that I think does a specific type of simple, "harkening-back-to-an-earlier-era" type of gaming really, really effectively. 
It imports all the fun of those old platform games - where collectibles were everywhere, and the physics model was loose and freeing - while updating the visuals and design in such a way as to capture the fun and silliness of those game, but look crisp and lovely and distinct, in a way that holds up against any modern indie... even ones with markedly bigger budgets!

It's not a game that offers particular challenge - the game is very easy to play, and simple to pick up - but it's one that is extremely compulsive, super fun, always giving the player new things to do, and new, interesting areas to explore, and has a deceptively well structured and well worked-out puzzle loop tied into its in-level progression.

It's fun to play, fun to look at, fun to listen to...
...and while it won't take the player long to finish (and truth be told, could possibly have done with just a couple more levels to it,) it never gets boring or irksome, and the simple gameplay is plenty fun for the duration.

The Ranking:

Tinykin is a very strange one for ranking, as there really isn't a single game in that precise genre that is already on the list. 

However, probably the closest starting point would be some of the remasters of the PS1 and PS2 era mascot games, and their franchises - since those games are generally somewhat cartoonish and fun, family-friendly for the most part, and generally have a heck of a lot of collectibles scattered around!

Probably the most analogous comparison I could come up with was the original Sly Cooper game - so I started there.

Obviously, visually, Tinykin would come out the winner in a technical sense - there is, after all, 3 or 4 clear console generations between the two! - however, looking simply at the art design and the flourishes and level design, it comes out a mixed bag. I actually think Tinykin has the superior level and environment design, however, there is less of it. In terms of characters, I think I'd still give the win to Sly Cooper though.
Music and audio in Tinykin is definitely better - but again, there is less of it. Sly has voice work that can be good and bad at times, Tinykin has none, but has the better score and sound effects.
Both games have a lot of personality and fun to be found, though I think Sly Cooper, simply because there's more of it, has to take that win - and so holistically, Sly comes out the winner in the aggregate.

I do think, however, that the next-highest rated Sly game - Sly Cooper: Thieves in Time, has a harder time. I like that game more than a lot of detractors do - in fact, it is ranked quite a bit higher than Sly 2 or Sly 3 - however, it can't really claim any originality for character models and whatnot - and while it does look good, it is on a more even footing in terms of release dates, and I think Tinykin, while shorter, comes out the winner this time.
I also think, fundamentally, Tinykin has a smidge more fun to it than Sly Cooper: thieves in Time does - and in a genre where fun is the main draw, that clinches it!

In between those two is the original Ratchet and Clank, and while I do love that series, I actually think the ways in which it improved drastically in Ratchet and Clank 2: Going Commando showed up some of the drawbacks of the original, and I think, in 2024, I'd likely replay Tinykin before replaying R&C1... so I'm comfortable enough with Tinykin beating it.

There's a wealth of games between that aren't specifically comparable by genre, but are "family friendly fun" - and one that came to mind was Costume Quest.

I think that actually, Tinykin does enough to beat out the original Costume Quest in a few areas - both are charming as hell, and Tinykin has a little more in the way of gameplay variation and technical finesse - however, the writing and concept of Costume Quest still win out for me - and I suspect I would replay Costume Quest before replaying Tinykin...
...so I think Tinykin has to rank lower. 

There's just a few games between Costume Quest and R&C - none of which are direct fights - so it comes down to the old finale "Would I replay this before Tinykin?"

Working up from R&C, I think the answer is "no" for Chime Sharp, Sonic & Sega All Stars Racing and A Monster’s Expedition through Puzzling Exhibitions...
...but I struggle to say the same for Puyo Puyo Tetris.

As such, Tinykin finds its spot right below that one!

L2da42d.png

Blacktail

Summary: 

A curious "Bethesda Engine Style" narrative open-world game from Polish studio The Parasight, Blacktail takes the Elder Scrolls/ Fallout model of gameplay, and applies it to a Slavic "old-world" fairytale mythology, sweeping in elements of various old slavic fables and grim-dark fantasy, amalgamating them to work in a single morality-tale style fable.

Taking on the role of a young girl, Yaga (a young incarnation of The Babayaga) - cast out from her village after accusations of witchcraft - the player discovered a semi-invisible hut in the centre of a large expanse of magical wilds, and establishes a home base, from which Yaga can explore the lands surrounding it. 
Guided, (rather cruelly and sarcastically,) by an inner voice - one that is not overtly assigned, be at various time seems to be either her lost sister, her powerful and largely absent mother, her mask (which she wears at all times,) or simply her true inner voice, (the one behind the mask she wears) - Yaga sets about unravelling her own past, the mysteries of the lands she now calls home, while seeking out her lost mother and sister.

As a game, Blacktail is a curious one - certainly mechanically. 
It is clearly playing in the broad "Bethesda-like" model - and in many ways feels like the next in a string of games that have (often successfully) taken the broad, loose, open and free model of Bethesda's giant open-world games, and shrunk them down to a more focussed, more manageable - and significantly less janky - canvas. 

The Outer Worlds, for example, and The Forgotten City both did the same thing - and both were notable successes. 

That is interesting to consider in the current landscape, where the latest giant Bethesda game - Starfield - has proven to be something of a disappointment to many. 
There is a distinct feeling, nowadays, that the era of "bigger is always better", and the idea that players will accept a certain amount of jankiness as necessary evil in the pursuit of giant expansive worlds, has fallen by the wayside...
...partly due to games like The Outer Worlds and The Forgotten City showing, first hand, how big a leap in depth and technical sturdiness can be achieved by sacrificing sheer size...
...and partly due to other, non-Bethesda-model open world games (Elden Ring, for example) showing that massive open worlds can simply be better than what Bethesda were offering.

In fact, Blacktail feels in some ways to be to The Elder Scroll what The Outer Worlds was to Fallout - i.e. a more focussed, more tonally specific, smaller version of it, injected with rather more personality. 
The Outer Worlds had many things in common with Fallout - the "retro future" look and feel, the feel of the shooting, even the broad structure of the narrative, with the player "awakening", exploring an unfamiliar world which split off from our own timeline at a specified point in our own history, and questing their towards a finale where they "save" the current world...
...but it also felt much more distinct and specific than Fallout ever did. Its world was smaller, but every part of it felt like it was better stitched together, and a single, more specific tone permeated throughout.  Fallout always feels something of a "broad canvas", within which multiple different tones and games can be crafted. That isn't a negative necessarily - there is a place for that kind of game, and when it works, it works well - but The Outer worlds felt more like a single, crafted narrative than that kind of open book. 

In that same manner, Blacktail feels like someone looked at The Elder Scrolls games - and specifically, at the Shergorath sections of the later games - Skyrim and Oblivion, (and particularly the "madness realm" Shivering Isles DLC for Oblivion,) - but used that only as a jumping off point: adding in a bit of American McGee's Alice sensibility, a bit of art design from some of the Eventide Artifex Mundi games, and a whole lot of Hans Christian Anderson and older Slavic Mythos...
...and the end result is something pretty unique.

The game plays, fundamentally, like a Bethesda-style game, however, there are a huge number of quite specific and quite unusual mechanics layered on top, that fit with the Slavic Fable theme. 

There is relatively standard combat - Yaga uses a bow and arrow, but combat also involves significant use of powers and modifiers - honey arrows to stick enemies in place, hexes, magic, lure-type distractions...
...and all of these operate via consumable collectibles found in-world. 

Enemies tend to be of a few distinct varieties - there are no human enemies (indeed, aside from Yaga, there are no humans at all seen in the game aside from some story-book style flashback cutscenes,) but vicious gnomes and trolls roam the land, along with goblin creatures, fairies, talking mushrooms (who form a large part of the fabric of the world,) talking cats, and all manner of other creatures.

Aside from the combat, however, the sheer number of systems and odd ways of doing things in Blacktail is unusual. 

The home base is "warped" to, via a magical talking cat...
...but if the player decides to shoot that cat, they find themselves in a pac-man style mini-game, in which they can rescue rat-souls... who will then appear in the Yaga Hut.

There are strange, giant roses with single, human eyes... which the player can steal the eye from if they wish, but if they simply put their weapon away, will reveal hidden objects or items based on where they are gazing.

There are special rocks around, which if Yaga fires an arrow at, will warp her to their locations. 

There are bees and birds and hedgehogs around, whom the player can interact with - either to their benefit or detriment - which then affects a fairly deep and curious "Morality System" which not only affects powers, skill trees and the ability to open special chests... but also affects which NPC quest-lines will be active, which Mushrooms will be friendly or hostile, and changes the actual outcome of the main narrative.

Virtually every element of the game seems to do things in a slightly different way that the player might expect, and there are so many unusual and strange elements to both the world and the game mechanics - many of which are not particularly made clear to the player until they simply experiment and try things - that while the actual world is significantly smaller than an Elder Scrolls or a Fallout, the sense of wonder and mystery is significantly higher. 
Using a comparison to Elden Ring or a Souls game is a live-wire - note, Blacktail is neither as good, nor stylistically similar to those games - but some of that Soulsian "this world is just so mysterious" element is actually present in Blacktail, simply because there are som many things that feel relatively unique to the game, without a lot of guidance, that the player is put is a sort of "what am I going to see next" mentality of simply wanting to explore and try things, to see what happens.

Not every part of this variety of gameplay is great, it should be said - There are a few sections of 2D platforming style "chase" sequences that accompany moments of the narrative storytelling, and these are never particularly good or fun to play, and the less said about the "pac-man-rat-finding mini-game the better...
...but the effect of having this much variety is a net benefit overall. While some are less fun than others, the game does feel like it has a lot of gas in the tank, and is always willing to show the player new things, which in a game like Blacktail, works...
...even if not every new thing is great on its own.

That unusual and curiously mechanically dense gameplay can be both a benefit and a curse. 
In some ways, the game can feel a little clunky with so many systems in play, and when in a Bethesda-style game, the tendency is for such oddness to feel, at times, like jank...
...but actually, I don't think it is the same thing. 
The fact is, Blacktail is actually a much more solid and functional game than any Bethesda game has been (certainly at launch), and while it can feel clunky (and it, at times,) that clunkiness tends to come from the volume of systems than any technical issues. The game functions perfectly well - it's just easy, at times, to mistake obtuseness or oddity - mechanical jankiness - for the old Bethesda technical jankiness.
One is certainly preferable to the other - and in Blacktail's defence, I would always rather have a mechanically obtuse game feel weird, than have a technical mess crash on me...
...but that also isn't a total defence.

The fact is, Blacktail feels varied and cool and mysterious by way of its mechanical oddity...
...but it does also feel over-egged, slightly too over-stuffed, and - at times - a little bit deliberately awkward.
There can be an exhaustion and frustration at times -  a feeling when playing of "oh Lord, why couldn't just ONE thing in this game work the way every other game does!"

What helps to alleviate that sense a bit with Blacktail, however, is that the art design, concept and narrative are all pretty good, and odd enough in their own right, that the mechanical oddities feel more at home.

The Narrative of Blacktail is actually very interesting. 
It's a relatively simple thematic tale of abandonment, resentment, regret and feeling like an outsider - and what people choose do do with that (added to quite a bit by the malleable karma system,) but the mix of Slavic fables and elements of the odd world Yaga inhabits are quite varied and well connected, so the story tends to feel grander than such a tale might in a more pedestrian setting.

As videogame players, we have seen more fantasy settings and tropes than we can shake a controller at, and Blacktail is not unique among them, but the strong Pagan and Slavic vibe, and the pretty hard-and-fast way the developer sticks to that theme, works well to give Blacktail its own distinct personality. The fact that while the game is certainly picking and choosing different elements of different Slavic stories and myths, it does stick strictly to that brand of tale. That means that the game feels a lot more rounded and grounded than something like an Elder Scrolls, which tends to be so broadly "Fantasy" that it can feel, at times, like simply a mishmash of every sub-genre that "Fantasy" can contain.

The writing though, is the one area where the game's fundamentals - looking and feeling like a Bethesda-style game - do harm the game though...
...and that is that there isn't really a lot of branching dialogue or choice in the narrative.
The ending and the way characters interact with Yaga can change - however, this is pretty much entirely based on her actions throughout the game, not on choosing what to say in the moment.

Now...

...lack of branching narratives and dialogue choices and speech-checks etc is not something every game has, nor something every game needs, however, games that look and feel like Bethesda games do generally have that side of dialogue as a core tenant. Fallout, The Elder Scrolls, The Outer Worlds, The Forgotten City, Starfield - what all of these games have in common is a dialogue system that is as robust and variable as the rest of the game.
In a lot of ways, players have come to not only expect that from these games, but to see it as part of the "trade-off". 

We, as players, accept the slightly wonky or loose, or imprecise combat and slightly janky or lower-poly worlds, because we get depth in other ways...
...and one of those ways is deep dialogue trees and lots of choice in conversations.

Blacktail doesn't have that, and as such, the natural feeling is - "so why make yourself look so much like those games, if we don't get this end of the deal?"

The narrative is more scripted and set, which means less scope for branching and choice within it. The game was - I'm sure - never intended to be a "Bethesda-like" in the dialogue sense, and the reality is likely that looking and sounding like a Bethesda game was what the developer was able to do at this budgetary level, rather than a specific desire to ape those games...
...but because it does ape those games in other ways, it invites an expectation for an equivalent system - and it can feel odd that it doesn't.

The art design is strong - the actual graphics and technical visual aspects are not cutting edge, and do certainly look like something that could have been crafted in the Skyrim engine ten years ago - but the designs and the aesthetic palate are well used. There is a lot of variety to different areas of the world, but they all tie together in a way that feels right, and manages to have a lot of unique and interesting environments, without them feeling totally disparate.
There are quite a few visual flourishes and non-standard parts too - cut scenes rendered like parchment motion comics look very nice, and some of the flashier effects at grand moments, or boss finales are pretty good - if a little dated feeling at times. 

Audio is decent in Blacktail too. The music in particular is both rousing and evocative, and befits the Slavic stylings, and the dark-fable aspects really well. Pretty much every piece of the score is additive - and even helps some of the less good elements of the gameplay at times. I think boss fights in the game are generally a little dull (certainly duller than the rest of the game,) but the rousing score during these sections helps quite a bit.

Voice work is also somewhere between decent, and pretty good. It's not exemplary - the voice work in Blacktail is not approaching the level of some higher budget, more cinematic games, but the writing does a pretty good job of pulling together a lot of require expositional and mythological elements without feeling too "lore-dump-y", and the delivery of the lines by the cast go further, to make that as natural sounding as it can.
There is actually a lot of voice work in the game considering the dialogue is set and not particularly variable on a conversation-to-conversation basis - many of the conversations with some of the more chatty mushrooms, for example, are a lot longer than one might expect for a game at this level, and these are fine.
The clear highlight in terms of vocal performances though, is the voice in Yaga's head and Yaga herself. There is a lot of antagonistic back and forth that happens in the game, with the voice teasing, or outright insulting or ridiculing Yaga (or the other characters,) and this is pitched just right, with the player - like Yaga herself - feeling both reliant on, enamoured of, afraid of, and annoyed by the voice.

Overall, Blacktail is a pretty strange game, all told.
It's one that has a lot more too it that one might expect for the budget and the scope, and is detailed and mechanically dense in a way that is not really expected at the outset.

It's a game that uses a well-worn and familiar base-template, but adds a lot to it in terms of mechanical complexity, to the point of almost feeling over-stuffed at times... 
...but the net effect is one that yields more positives than negatives.

It feels like a game brimming with ideas, and where so many concepts have been pulled together that it shouldn't work, and can feel a little overwhelming or obtuse at times...
...but while not all of these ideas work as well as they might, it does feel like just enough of them do, that the variety and oddity comes off as a benefit, rather than a curse.

The Ranking:

Ranking Blacktail is a little rough, as all the obvious comparison points are - as indicated above - other Bethesda-style open world games: Skyrim, Fallout games, The Outer Worlds, The Forgotten City...
...however, as curious, fun and deceptively dense and interesting as Blacktail is, fundamentally, it isn't on the level of those games.

Certainly, as compared to the two other smaller games - The Outer Worlds and The Forgotten City - it is markedly less successful, partly due to the lack of depth in dialogue, and partly due to simply not being on that level generally...
...but it also doesn't benefit from the "broad canvas" elements of the bigger Bethesda games.

The lowest ranked of the Fallout games is - somewhat controversially - Fallout: New Vegas...
... but that game is really ranked there from the point of view of the PS3 version. In reality, Fallout: New Vegas is - on paper - the superior game to Fallout 3, and potentially also Fallout 4... but the technical issues are such that on Playstation specifically, it couldn't beat them out. (If this were a ranking of PC games, Fallout: New Vegas would almost certainly be the top ranked Fallout game.)

I do think that, even with its technical jank and serious issues, Fallout: New Vegas does have a lot more going for it than Blacktail does though, and while I enjoyed Blacktail quite a bit, when it really boils down, I suspect that I would probably replay New Vegas - and suffer the horrendous technical issues - before replaying Blacktail - which has no real technical issues, but simply isn't as malleable, long, or well written.

That is a real strange one though - essentially asking "how good does a game have to be, to offset the technical problems, and win over a game without the same problems?"

It's a nebulous and difficult thing to quantify...
...but I am reasonably sure that ranking Blacktail a little below the PS3 New Vegas is the right call.

Two spots below Fallout: New Vegas though, is the one other sort of "Bethesda-style" game on the list: Alpha Protocol.

That game is also filled with technical problems - not ones on the level of New Vegas, but rampant nonetheless - and that one is interesting in a fight with Blacktail. Unlike New Vegas, I think Alpha Protocol has fundamental design issues along with technical ones...
...and also, the actual game, as designed, isn't I think, quite as interesting of fun as Blacktail.

As such, I think in that case, Blacktail should outrank it.

The only game between the two is the not-as-bad-as-people-say-but-still-pretty-ropey red-headed step-child of the Mass Effect franchise - Mass Effect: Andromeda - and that game vs. Blacktail is interesting.
Andromeda has the better visuals, and the much more competent fighting model...
...but Blacktail has more imagination, better (if far less plentiful) writing, and a more fun sense of exploration.
Andromeda takes it on sound, music and voice work, but Blacktail takes it on story...
...and Blacktail feels fresh and original, whereas Mass Effect: Andromeda does feel like a pretty big let down within a storied franchise.

It's close, but I think I feel more comfortable with Blacktail outranking Andromeda...

...and so Blacktail finds its spot!

So there we have it folks!

Hitman 3 remains as 'Current Most Awesome Game'!

htoL#NiQ: The Firefly Diaries finally remains as the worst-of-the-worst, with the title of 'Least Awesome Game'!

What games will be coming along next time to challenge for the top spot... or the bottom rung?

That's up to randomness, me.... and YOU!

Remember:

1f6a8.png1f6a8.pngSPECIAL NOTE1f6a8.png1f6a8.png

If there are any specific games anyone wants to see get ranked sooner rather than later - drop a message, and I'll mark them for 'Priority Ranking'! 1f913.png

The only stipulation is that they must be on my profile, at 100% (S-Rank)....

and aren't already on the Rankings! 263a.png

I heard good things about tinykin, good to hear its a good surprise, also, i will be looking for inked, looks great! amazing reviews!

Edited by Don_Chipotle
  • Like 1