Xbone Bans Users For Profanity

Bullstomp

Xbone bans users for profanity  

56 members have voted

1. 1. Should Micro$oft (and Sony, for that matter) ban users for profanity?

• Yes, I'm tired of hearing random 12 year olds dropping F*Bombs while I'm playing CoD:Dogs
    • No, the dialogue in many games, like GTA and Nier, contains profanity. This creates an unfair paradox
    • I don't give a sh!t either way . . .

Ok, so I found this article about players getting banned for using profanity. What do you all think about this?

http://www.cnn.com/2013/11/26/tech/gaming-gadgets/xbox-live-cursing-ban/index.html?hpt=hp_bn5

Xbox gamers suspended in cursing crackdown

DougGross35x35.jpg
By Doug Gross, CNN
updated 1:23 PM EST, Tue November 26, 2013 | Filed under: Gaming and Gadgets

131126115226-xbox-live-suspension-story-
Some Xbox Live gamers reported getting this grammatically tortured message after posting videos with profanity in them.
STORY HIGHLIGHTS
  • Xbox Live players who curse in videos are getting suspended
  • Microsoft says it wants "clean, safe and fun environment" for all
  • Gamers report being suspended from some services for 24 hours
  • Suspensions come as new games feature cursing

(CNN) -- What the #@!%? Some gamers uploading R-rated videos of themselves playing on the new Xbox One are learning the hard way that Microsoft is trying to crack down on cursing. Over the past few days, gamers using the Upload Studio on Xbox Live to share videos online have reported being banned from the network, at least temporarily, after using salty language. What do they think this is? "Grand Theft Auto"? On Monday, Microsoft confirmed it's trying to clean up language in its online community.

bttn_close.gif
131121174704-microsoft-xbox-one---s02903

131121174704-microsoft-xbox-one---s02903Microsoft aims high with Xbox One
bttn_close.gif
131124120708-exp-console-wars-00000619-s

131124120708-exp-console-wars-00000619-sConsole wars: PlayStation 4 vs. Xbox One

"(W)e take Code of Conduct moderation via Upload Studio very seriously. We want a clean, safe and fun environment for all users," the company said in a statement. "Excessive profanity as well as other Code of Conduct violations will be enforced upon and result in suspension of some or all privileges on Xbox Live. We remain committed to preserving and promoting a safe, secure and enjoyable experience for all of our Xbox Live members." The statement did, however, quell a rumor that Microsoft was also monitoring direct communications such as Skype chats among players using the network. Because Skype often was one of the apps suspended, some players said they thought their behavior on the voice-calling service was being monitored. Several suspended gamers reported having full services restored after 24 hours.

Not surprisingly, the announcement isn't going over well with some in the gaming community. "Saying that swearing is not to be tolerated (at least partially) in this one area of gaming on top of a platform that is an obscenity cannon just feels squishy," Alex Wilhelm wrote for TechCrunch. "Also, it's inconsistent. And as I don't think that language deemed by some as 'foul' should be banned while playing games, I don't think that it should be banned in uploaded videos of games being played."

Many online were echoing Wilhelm's initial point: How can a company crack down on profanity while at the same time promoting video games filled with the stuff?

"Xbox Live is suspending accounts for (foul) language. They don't want kids hearing four letter words as they go on a virtual killing spree," said Mike Frankovich on Twitter.

"If Xbox is gonna ban 12 yr olds for abusive language they just eliminated their entire fan base," added Twitter user Malakye Morgan. In "Dead Rising 3," an exclusive title for the Xbox One, " the words "f**k," "sh*t," and "a*shole" can be heard in the dialogue," according to the game's "M for Mature" rating from the Entertainment Software Rating Board. Players are also able to visit a "XXX supply shop" and buy an adult toy that can be turned into the Super Massager -- a weapon that can be used on zombies.Microsoft said players who run afoul of its rules are being temporarily suspended from using certain apps, not banned from Xbox Live indefinitely.

Edited by Bullstomp

I voted no, because there's always a mute button that everyone seems to forget about. But getting onto players for cussing in videos? Come on, you're just asking for everyone to hate you. I suspect this won't last very long as there have been other attempts to "get rid of cursing" outside of video games.  

This isn't for using the language in online multiplayer, is it? I read somewhere they were only monitoring live streaming and banning users there. Either way it is ridiculous, especially if the game being played is rated mature. I could potentially see some merit to it if it were only enforced in games rated below "Teen" because I can understand parents not wanting their kids to hear that language, but if it a parent cared that much it would be simple to just not allow them to play online unless they were physically present to mute everyone. 

I hope Sony doesn't get any ideas from this...

Parker

I think EXCESSIVE profanity should be banned, but not profanity in general. I think some people get emotional and drop the occasional F-bomb (or S-bomb, or whatever) during online play when getting frustrated and to me, that's completely acceptable or if you're saying that you are having a S--tty game, that's fine too. BUT, and this is a big but, if you are attacking someone else online verbally, to me, that is completely unacceptable. It's no different from cyber bullying on facebook or on twitter, and as sad as it is to say it, its led to people committing suicide. Profanity is fine, but using profanity as a verbal weapon against others is completely unacceptable in my book.

Edited by Beyondthegrave07
  • Like 1

People who use excessive profanity should at least be suspended for about a week but 1 or 2 curse words aren't that bad, I know I've let a couple slip out before.

On a side note they could always have FCC agents follow us with a fog horn and use it before we say anything bad...(yay, I did another reference)

This isn't for using the language in online multiplayer, is it? I read somewhere they were only monitoring live streaming and banning users there. 

It's for their Upload Studio app / service only and that content is stored and broadcast on MS's network, not YouTube or Facebook, so they can enforce their own content guidelines.

LiveStreaming, in-game chat, messages etc will not be moderated proactively, nor could they be given the volume of content, which is why we have reporting systems.

I think this is fair enough given Uploads can end up in the Store section of the XB1 and as featured content in Games, which is accessible to ANYONE using an XB1.  MS isn't going to promote Dead Rising 3 with a trailer full of "sh*t!, f*ck!, @sshole!" language, nor will they show excessive gore in those trailers because that specific content is intended for a mature audience. That's called moderation. Parents (good ones) won't allow their young kids to play games with cursing and gore, so they're not going to be exposed to mature content or language. That's also called moderation. But, using Upload, anyone can have their mature content and language appear on the console of all other XB1 users, hence the crackdown on language as it applies to all social standards and demographics.

Storm in a teacup...Upload Studio is a video editing app and unlike live-streaming or in-game chat, you have the chance to moderate your own content before broadcasting it. MS is simply asking people to be aware that their Upload content may be viewed by everyone on XBL, not just their intended audience and to moderate it accordingly. MS owns the network and the servers, and no doubt you've granted the rights to the Upload content to them, so if you can't moderate yourself, they'll do it for you.

Edited by ant1th3s1s
  • Like 2

I wouldn't mind if they banned for excessive swearing, it gets very tiresome but I try to keep my swearing to a bare minimum. (I dislike using swears but sometimes it just happens unfortunately)

People who use excessive profanity should at least be suspended for about a week but 1 or 2 curse words aren't that bad, I know I've let a couple slip out before.

On a side note they could always have FCC agents follow us with a fog horn and use it before we say anything bad...(yay, I did another reference)

How do you define "excessive" in this case?

I don't have a specific number that comes to mind but if someone is being excessive it should probably be obvious. No one should get banned or suspended for a few incidents, anyone can lose their cool and say something stupid.

Not in a video that you have the option to edit prior to uploading. Again, this applies to the XB1 Upload Studio service only.

• Like 1

Not in a video that you have the option to edit prior to uploading. Again, this applies to the XB1 Upload Studio service only.

Well in that case, I'll go with my original vote of yes for the ban of profanity if it's excessive since users have a chance to edit it.

Edited by Kokoro-No-Hata

How to stop a kid from being a jerk - take his stuff until he learns his lesson, therefore i agree.

If we stop kids from being annoying when they're still... kids, they won't be as immature once they grow up.

People should really start to think more before they even do anything. Think people. Think.