PS4 or PS5 controller preference and why (Excluding Haptic feedback)

amurnin100

Pretty devastated last night, Sony seem to be patching games for use of the Cronus zen for some PS5 games, New games like Diablo 2 only will work on Dual sense. It's ok as I have the Ps4 version but there are some serious flaws with this idea. My hands are not made for these bulbous grips and the DS is just too heavy for me, it actually really hurts very quickly. Any new cross platform games for me will bought for the XBSX for the time being. No great shock, I did something similar with the PS4, I switched to Xb1 until Sony implemented USB HDD support unless the game was exclusive.

Waiting on 3rd party controllers that aren't shaped like 2 unripe lead bananas,, Or a cronus firmware update.

I'm jealous with you guys that are comfortable with the Dual Sense. 

On 9/18/2021 at 5:03 PM, Dark_Overlord said:

Dualshock 3

The Dualshock 4 is one of the most poorly put together pieces of shit ever made.  I've been through 14 of the damn things :/  Also the DPAD on the DS3 is far superior

agreed dpads for ds4 suck! break down playing fighters and platformers and dont ever work like they used too, not a problem if u use the joystick but people like me that prefer the dpad for some games will have issues.  i still dont have a ps5 

On 9/24/2021 at 5:47 PM, Dan-lives-here said:

Controller tier list: 
Xbox elite series 2
Xbox series X controller
PS5
Pretty much any third party xbox controller
PS4

PS3

The elite series 2 is fantastic though I use an Astro C40 TR for shooters even on the XBSX using a Cronus Zen. Not surprisingly allot of COD/BF etc etc players use third party controllers and this is really where the ps5 will lose out for the time being. I can wait for a Scuff or similar and then fork out another $500 but I can't spend another minute playing online with the DS which honestly is no loss for me or anyone else, Luckily I have the XBSX and I haven't been too interested in any PS5 games yet anyway. This pandemic has screwed up 3rd party support I guess and we know full well that Sony will stick with their one awkward controller.

• Like 1

On 30/09/2021 at 7:09 PM, Z1MZUM said:

The elite series 2 is fantastic though I use an Astro C40 TR for shooters even on the XBSX using a Cronus Zen. Not surprisingly allot of COD/BF etc etc players use third party controllers and this is really where the ps5 will lose out for the time being. I can wait for a Scuff or similar and then fork out another $500 but I can't spend another minute playing online with the DS which honestly is no loss for me or anyone else, Luckily I have the XBSX and I haven't been too interested in any PS5 games yet anyway. This pandemic has screwed up 3rd party support I guess and we know full well that Sony will stick with their one awkward controller.

I'm pretty much in the same boat. It's hard to find a reason to turn my ps5 on with gamepass giving me so many choices. It's like I need to go out of my way to play my PS right now. Returnal was a nice distraction though.

• Like 1

Both have pros and cons in my opinion.

DuelSense Pros.

• Shape is similar to the Xbox controller which I honestly find more comfortably in my hands.
  • Share and Pause buttons are better placed and easier to press.
  • The mic is a huge plus for someone who dislikes headsets.

Cons.

• R2 trigger spring broke after 4 months.

I'm in no way saying that the PS4 DualShock is a bad controller as it's a lot lighter then the DuelSense, although I did end up replacing it three times due to analog drift in the span of 2 years.

I actually really disliked the PS4 controller from the start. I missed the DualShock 3. I'd never bought controllers from other makers before the PS4 but as soon as the Nacon Revolution came out, I jumped all over it. I absolutely love the DualSense though, only thing it's missing is back buttons for convenience but it's such a nice controller in the hands

ps5 controller is better for 60 fps games without shadow of a doubt, the analogue sticks have a higher ride height, the result of that is slightly lower flick speed, and much better precision so for a 60 fps game, it's fast enough and very precise.

however for a 30 fps game, ps4 controller has lower stick height = faster flick and speed is key in lower frame rates to compensate.

build quality wise the dual sense is a fuckin joke. the haptics annoy more then satosfy, and i can't help but feel like they were added just so more shit could break down, but noone knows if haptic durability ties to the triggers sensitivity. not to mention the drift, and the fact that the controller itself is built like a tank so unless you can solder you can't fix shit.

Edited by MatThaRiPP3R84

4 hours ago, MatThaRiPP3R84 said:

ps5 controller is better for 60 fps games without shadow of a doubt, the analogue sticks have a higher ride height, the result of that is slightly lower flick speed, and much better precision so for a 60 fps game, it's fast enough and very precise.

however for a 30 fps game, ps4 controller has lower stick height = faster flick and speed is key in lower frame rates to compensate.

build quality wise the dual sense is a fuckin joke. the haptics annoy more then satosfy, and i can't help but feel like they were added just so more shit could break down, but noone knows if haptic durability ties to the triggers sensitivity. not to mention the drift, and the fact that the controller itself is built like a tank so unless you can solder you can't fix shit.

You can just buy attachments for any controller though and I'm playing several 120fps games without the Dual Sense, Until they get Cronus Patched I'm using the Astro C40 or XB Elite 2. There's no Doubt the DS is accurate but man it murders my hands, and no back buttons? To be fare I think it's a positive thing that many like this controller though it seems that unlike previous Sony gens there are allot more people uncomfortable with it.

After opening it up you could really remove half of the junk in there and it still works.

Dualsense for me personally. With the technology part aside, the Dualsense just fits my big hands better (I'm 6'5") and I love the weight of it. Obviously adding in the tech makes it a win by an even bigger margin. But I remember when I got my PS4 at launch, loving the Dualshock 4 and thinking that the Dualshock 3 was just flimsy and cheap. Well that's now how I feel about the Dualshock 4.. However I will say that over the course of the last generation all 5 of my Dualshock 4's never had battery problems and their capacity is still incredible. My Dualshock 3's are no good though. It'll be interesting to see in the next 5-7 years how my (two currently) Dualsense battery capacity goes.

I personally couldnt care less about either one over the other. The PS5 controller for me isn't all that amazing. it vibrates, wow. sure it vibrates in different ways or the triggers are harder to push down but i usually turn them off anyway because i dont want to push a hard trigger down whenever i am shooting something or using a bow and arrow.

At the end of the day there is no real difference between the PS4 and 5 controllers for me, my focus is on the game not how a controller vibrates

Edited by Ac3dUd3-

• 8 months later...

After 6 months with the PS5 I’d have to say I prefer the DualShock 4 over the Dualsense. The design and attention to detail in the Dualsense is amazing but the DualShock 4 just fits my hand size better and the curvature of the triggers suits me. If Sony had the option for the DualShock 4 to have at least the Adaptive Triggers I’d be all over that.

• Like 2

So months later I'm just not playing PS5 games at all that don't work with Cronus. I couldn't bring it to myself to complete Monark and thats not exactly action packed. The so-called 3rd party controllers are just modded DS controllers.

Edited by Z1MZUM

I would have said hands down PS5 just because it’s easier to grip for my arthritis. However, now I’ve had 2 controllers that the trigger has loosened on it’s annoyed me. My PS4 controllers are still going strong after 8 years. I can’t get in touch with Sony either so looks like I have to shell out another £100. 

• Like 1

only negatives for the Dualsense are the erasing of the PlayStation identity with the erasing of the square, triangle, circle... button colors and the battery empties too fast while taking forever to charge

Edited by The Investigator
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, The Investigator said:

only negatives for the Dualsense are the erasing of the PlayStation identity with the erasing of the square, triangle, circle... button colors and the battery empties too fast while taking forever to charge

Agreed , 1 half years in and I’m still a f an of duelshock 4, ps5 is too big and doesn't handle hand sweat too well if your playing for a long period 

I prefer using the DualShock 4, mainly due to how natural it feels in my hand. After playing fighting games with one (well, several, honestly) over the years, I can't imagine myself playing them on any other controller (other than a stick).

• Like 1