The Matrix Awakens: An Unreal Engine 5 Experience

Adam

Couple things I’ve noticed so far:

- Driving at this high of quality has major fps drops and crashing the car (which looks rather cool) makes the game almost unplayable because it drops to 5-10fps. 

- The city looks great, shadows actually are real in this tech demo from what I could tell, however almost every building with a room has a graphical glitch where the rooms overlap (probably not the consoles fault but good to point this out lol). Really foresee shadows being turned way down in future unreal 5 games (which is fine because I used to turn shadows down anyway because they aren’t that important if you can gain more fps anyhow)

- It’s actually a rather decent tech demo. You can explore quite a bit and see different examples of what the engine can pull off. That is one thing I was impressed with. Didn’t play it long enough to see if there was any water though which is what I’m curious to see how they pull it off next gen.

Curious to see how this translates into future games. I hope developers realize that we don’t want this much fps drops though. Because they happen quite frequently.

Edited by Dangisuckatgamin
  • Like 1

The worst part of this video is when you realize it isn't a new upcoming game, but merely a tech demo. Otherwise, it does look good. I'm starting to get a bit miffed that they didn't actually remake/remaster either Enter the Matrix or Path of Neo games. Maybe in the future, we did get a couple of tech demos that ended up being made into a game..eventually.

• Like 2

When I saw this at The Game Awards I dismissed it as some sort of gimmicky movie tie in game or something, but I was not expecting this! It's a really cool tech demo, and a pretty genius marketing move from The Matrix (they even said it themselves in the dialogue lol), pretty great marketing for Unreal Engine too.

I love how they allow you to fly the camera around the city and play with certain world settings like sun rotation and seeing the polygons and so forth, really cool! The yellow icons on the map (not the orange ones) will also allow you to switch the map to night time and explore the city at night!

Also like the OP I got some Watch Dogs vibes too, well at least original 2012 unveil Watch Dogs, not what eventually happened to the series where it turned into sort of a goofy Ubisoft-y less serious appearance in some areas lol

Edited by BlindMango
  • Like 2

On 12/10/2021 at 6:45 AM, Adam said:

What do you guys think of this new tech demo? It really feels off sometimes (reminded me of watch dogs in some instances lol).

I think it looked fantastic. UE5 has potential to make some pretty games on the next-gen consoles. Really looking forward to what happens next.

• 2 weeks later...