Why isn’t auto popping trophies classed as cheating?

15 minutes ago, Waspfarmer said:

i do hate auto popping will never do it to any titles i have - if u liked the game that much u can do it again its a cop out to be honest

Like i mentioned earlier in the thread, i have "autopopped" 3 games on ps5. 

1. FIFA 21 (had to do 80% of the trophies again, and there's no way to NOT get the online game modes trophies again, autopopped). 

2. FIFA 22 (same as 21).

3. GTA IV (Did it so i could transfer/merge my character to ps5, in case they release more trophies, and i wanna have 100% on ps5). 

If an autopop, is done, only to pop trophies, i wouldn't do it, but i will do it, if it makes sense, f.ex moving to the newest version of a game, or if i wanna do the game one more time, and ill do all the trophies that doesn't autopop. 

1 hour ago, DrBloodmoney said:

That's not what the "forced" Autopop is in Hitman 3 is that folks refer to - it's not going form Hitman 2 to Hitman 3, but rather, from Hitman 3 on the PS4 to Hitman 3 on the PS5.

I played the game on PS4 and S-Ranked it, but switched to the PS5 version once I got a PS5, to continue doing the Elusive Targets / New Content on the better version.

Because all the unlocks etc are stored server-side, on a server-side profile, you don't have the option of choosing whether to import a save or not - as you do with something like, say, the Resident Evil Remake upgrades.

The moment you launch the PS5 version using your PSN account, it will automatically connect to the online IO Account that is linked to that PSNID, and immediately start popping all the trophies, as the profile is what is driving the trophy unlocks, not the local save.

Ahhh, roger dodger. Then it behaves similarly to Mortal Kombat 11. Only worse, I suppose, since Hitman doesn’t let you do anything without going online. Thanks for clarification. I honestly had forgotten there was a PS4 version of Hitman 3.

Edited by Ashande
  • Like 1

On 9/5/2022 at 7:51 AM, Nebnit said:

So those 3982 profile views you have were all just some busy web crawlers, right?

There are many reasons to look at someones profile, not all about trophies,but maybe games they play, comments they make about games etc. Nice try though. Im certainly not gushing over leaderboard toppers.  Maybe I was just looking to see who completed The Bit Trip, so I can ask them for tips.  This is an off topic response though, not even close to relevant to OPs topic.

On 9/5/2022 at 9:04 AM, TomataEighty9 said:

WHO thinks any trophy will make you special? 1f605.png

this is a hobby, and only other games care about trophies, and even between gamers, most only focus on their own trophy hunting. 

if people wanna be special in other People’s eyes, i would recommend switching trophy hunting for volunteer work ?

I dont get it either, but some folks here really seem quite intent on being on top of some random stat list that is truly meaningless.  (easy games should not be allowed, autopop is cheating,whahwhahwhah)  I dont understand why it matters to them, only explanation is that they feel their Plat should be worth more because it was harder to get... Sony says it isnt so they gotta shut it. Simple as that.

• Like 1

This topic might become more relevant if Sony ever ties the trophy collection to a points system.

I've got some really embarrassing trophies on my list and the autopops are a few of them. Now I play the ps5 version first then go back and do ps4 second. I do enjoy both runs whenever I do that so I'm not too fussed. 

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 05/09/2022 at 6:41 PM, RedDevil757 said:

It would be great if there was a leaderboard that filtered out all platinums earned in let's say less than 30minutes.

It'd filter out all the autopop nonsense and all the pay for plat games and give something for the true hunters to do on leaderboards.

This is a terrible suggestion. Would be circumvented in no time. Unlock all but 1 trophy - wait 30 minutes - unlock last trophy.

Not to mention there are games that can be beaten in under 30 minutes if you are either skilled enough or plan the trophies accordingly. For the former look at Flatland Prologue. 72/4147 have it under 30 minutes. For the latter I will point you to the NA stack of Mousebot. I'm 1st in 19 minutes. 2nd is a day+. Because I planned the trophies after doing the EU version.

Also: 'true hunters'. Wise up. That's to anyone being derogatory or attacking. Whether you agree or not it's not for you or anyone to decide what constitutes true gaming. I disagree heavily with spam games if it's destructive to a person. I've been very vocal about that. I disagree from a gaming point of view that they are of any worth. Personally I've done a couple of auto-pops but prefer where possible to replay the game again and have done so many times with games I've enjoyed. That doesn't mean I get to say you can't auto-pop if the option is there. We are free to make our own decisions.

Ultimately, if someone gets fun from it or spam games or rising up the leaderboards and isn't harming themselves (obsessing or spending money they don't have or negatively impacting their life) then who are we to demean a person for it. The only issue I have is how harmful it is for some people and continue to believe we should offer advice, help and support in explaining how addictive all this can become.

• Like 1

Feels like the only ones that should be bothered by it are speedrunners for the 100% club. Of course it is a cheap way to earn a plat and no, you do not deserve two plats for beating a game once but why does it even matter? If someone wants to increase their trophy level, leaderboard ranks or plat count then they will always be better off with two Ratalaika stacks than playing Miles Morales once for two plats. If it's cheating then the only one affected is their own profile, big deal. 

And yes, it does suck for speedrunners but it's a small number of affected games, most of the time it's only one version of the game and we'll see even fewer with time as the PS5 starts dominating completely. Not seeing why anyone (who isn't a speedrunner) should be bothered by it in the slightest.

I don’t for a second consider it cheating. Like I just unlocked 95% of Dauntless trophies on PS5 by signing into my game. I didn’t have a choice about it because I didn’t want to start over and lose all my progress on time limited events etc as I’ve spent hundreds of hours getting to that point, I’ve just been playing it all on my Switch when I am away from home.

So yeh, its officially an autopop but no way is it cheating. I legitimately completed all the requirements & unlocked all those trophies, just on Switch where there are no trophies.

On 9/5/2022 at 0:05 PM, EqualityEarth said:

I’m confident that a proper understanding of the auto pop implementation starts with stepping back from the trophy hunting context.

Sony or its game developers aren’t inherently thinking about someone playing the same game on multiple consoles to reach 100% trophies in each version of that game, let alone going back any generation (PS3, VITA) to play old game versions or even preceding games in a series. Their model subscriber is someone who has been looking forward to PS5 since it was announced and will promptly drop all outdated hardware to start playing whatever is coming up on the new console.

With some games getting updated or carried over to PS5, surely this good little consumer would be none too pleased with needing to start the PS5 version of the game he was currently playing from scratch, starting over with new game and 0% trophies. Thanks to the save transfer feature and trophy auto pop, this lucky guy gets to pick up from where he left off on the old console and even his trophies get caught up too.

My point is, that PS4 trophy list hanging back there at partial % isn’t part of the picture. The completion rate for all trophy supported games isn’t part of the picture either. The intention behind the feature is confined to the convenience of swapping the old console for the new one. The 0-1 second completion times (for PS5 games auto popped by the PS4 game at platinum) being included under fastest achiever lists is by no intention either. It’s just a result of the trophies popping instantly instead simply copying the time intervals of the old list. Excluding them from eclipsing completion times that others started from zero on PS5 is a separate issue that would require being able to exclude trophy achievement display without flagging the user, which is probably why there isn’t one.

Chances are this point has been made here already.. and PS4 games being playable on PS5 (aka the new PS4 Pro) for the vast majority of the library probably makes this a moot point but it felt like a good guess at the time of writing ?‍♂️

All great points, but you and I need to remember that we’re a small minority amongst all the millions of people who game on Sony consoles. 

We love trophies. We’re a small community. And unfortunately, as the PS3/Vita store shutdown announcement revealed (which Sony thankfully went back on their word), Sony doesn’t care about us. 

Sony is only focused on the PS5, because that’s where their mainstream audience is at. Not the person playing that little niche indie game few people know about. Not the guy playing PS3/Vita games. Not the dude auto popping PS5 games with trophies to pad their stats. The guys who pay $60 - 70 for Madden or FIFA, pay $70 for one or two AAA games a year, and mostly play with friends. That’s the main audience, who greatly outnumber the trophy hunting communities. For every trophy hunter there is probably a few hundred casual gamers who just play a few games per year. 

Jim Ryan can’t even hold a controller properly, so that is an indication that upper management are largely financial people who don’t know much of anything about video games. 

Can’t say I’m impressed with the PS5 library. Games take far too long to release now, AAA games have over a thousand people working on them and a quality release takes years to finally come out.