BioShock movie in the works at Netflix

NMErickson

The streaming giant has partnered with Take-Two Interactive, the game’s parent company, to develop a potential cinematic universe. Vertigo Entertainment (the LEGO movie company) and Take-Two will serve as producers.

No writer or filmmaker is on board at this time. The partnership deal has been in the works for almost a year.

Presumably, the film will take the first two game's Rapture setting as its jumping-off point, with possible “cinematic universe plans” taking the series to BioShock Infinite's Columbia. In video game world, meanwhile, a new BioShock is in development at new studio Cloud Chamber, rumoured to be set in Antarctica during the 1960s.

-From Hollywood Reporter and PST.org

Since Take Two are producers and directly involved, I have high hopes for this. Please be good, please be good.

• Like 1

On one hand, I am looking forward to an influx of media based on videogames that's given the same prestige and respect as superhero cinema, but on the other hand, BioShock's narrative is inexorably tied to player agency, the illusion of choice, and, well, the fact that it's a videogame. Cautiously optimistic, leaning towards cynically uninterested. Truly depends on the quality of the script and how far they're willing to go with production design, creature design, etc.

Edited by CatchingSomeZs
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, dakk55 said:

A man chooses, a slave obeys - 9GAG

"A Man Chooses, A Slave Obeys."

And I chose to not buy into the hype until it finally comes out and we'll see if it's good or just another Netflix "adaptation".

While I mostly agree, Netflix adaptions can be quite good. The Witcher was a critical and commercial success on there. It was like 2nd on the top 10 most viewed English TV shows on Netflix at one point.

• Like 1

I was kind of hyped until I read "cinematic universe", then I realized it's likely to be just a cash cow banking off of Bioshock. I hope I'm wrong and someone with a true love and familiarity for the games and the story will be in charge.

• Like 1

Yeah, not very optimistic whatsoever. Netflix doesn't exactly have a good track record when it comes to adaptations like Witcher, Cowboy Bebop, and Death Note. They don't even have a director, or a script written so it may take a while before something really tangible is known. Unless they have creative director that can bring the setting to life like Guillermo Del Toro, this will be one of those bad adaptations already pilling up the rest. 

• Like 1

• 6 months later...