Elden Ring - Review Thread

zulqarmessi

Will you get ELDEN RING on release day?  

203 members have voted

1. 1. Will you get ELDEN RING on release day?

2 hours ago, BloodyRutz said:

What's your goal here, friend?

I don't have a goal? I just don't understand the whole stigma that Souls-style games have of somehow granting a lot of players a higher level of validation as a "gamer". Just typing that made my skin crawl.

I love what FromSoftware has done for gaming, but let's not pretend that all that good didn't also come with a silly amount of elitism among gamers that somehow view these games as indicators of self-worth.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Alayaes said:

I didn't interpret it as anything other than an odd statement distinguishing "real" gamers from "fake" gamers.

I know that came off from excitement in an exaggerated way but sure playing any game is also fine as well, anyone has their own preference and they can be free to play whatever they want, I’m fine with that. Also there’s a good chance Elden Ring may not click with everyone given the nature of the difficulty in these games, so I could still coin the term “gamer” for anyone else who plays other type of games without the means to referring them as fake ones. I could care less if you like Ubisoft games or something, if you still have fun with those then it’s still a good thing.

Jeez, I didn’t mean to offend anyone.

Edited by Crzy Minus

On a serious note the best thing about FromSoft's games is the exploration and the sense of satisfaction you get by unraveling any area you come across. As excellent their level design already was in previous games, I cannot imagine the wonders it would make when that feeling is applied to an open-world format.

Edited by Crzy Minus
  • Like 1

pre ordered my copy oh yea, gunna spend many hours exploring everything haha. buzzing for this! gotta love myazaki and ofc his games.

fextralife mentioned after 100 hrs he had over half the quest lines to do, most of the underworld sections to do and he was still on first run.

Edited by MatThaRiPP3R84
  • Like 1

Just now, Quink666 said:

Linking an IGN review? There’s so many other outlets or YouTubers that make high quality reviews compared to IGN. TOO MUCH WATER!

Too much water was a valid criticism tho. Even if it is pretty funny.

When you're in water you can always get into a random encounter in a Pokemon game.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Sunnyburrito said:

I don't hype anything anymore, neither do I trust reviews will wait until the community has a time with the game and give a more down to earth feedback.

Wouldn't that be the same as like a review?  I mean it's basically just a peer review from a fellow gamer in contrast to a magazine or companies review; which anymore I suspect those people are gamers too these days.

----------------

I've never played any of their "souls" games, yet that is definitely some impressive reviews.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Alayaes said:

I don't have a goal? I just don't understand the whole stigma that Souls-style games have of somehow granting a lot of players a higher level of validation as a "gamer". Just typing that made my skin crawl.

I love what FromSoftware has done for gaming, but let's not pretend that all that good didn't also come with a silly amount of elitism among gamers that somehow view these games as indicators of self-worth.

Souls games are considered games that more hardcore gamers usually play rather than just casual gamers because they provide a pretty stiff challenge.   This is a pretty common opinion, no sense in getting all bent out of shape over someone voicing their opinion.  He wasn't being rude.   He probably just means it's nice seeing a challenging trophy list as apposed to all the shovel ware games that pose no challenge whatsoever.  He's just as entitled to his opinion as you are yours. 

8 hours ago, Sunnyburrito said:

I don't hype anything anymore, neither do I trust reviews will wait until the community has a time with the game and give a more down to earth feedback.

I agree I could care less what the Reviewers that gave Battlefield 2042 7/10 like IGN and people like.  that game is a 0/10.   I hope more people playing this game can voice their opinion here ASAP as I'd like to see what people that aren't getting free copies think.  I still have 3 From software games in my backlog but if the consensus of the people on this site confirm 10/10 I may bump this to the front of the list. 

I have not finished the game yet but so far I will give my outlook on this game so far. Game is fun to play and is really good my only dislikes is that. The game has a lot of limits to you as you need to basically play this in a mind of a mmo/ jrpg as you need to look around and get a lot of loot that you feel is good for you and then go from there. You can't go into this thinking it is like any other soulsborne game as it is a lot different.

The enemies in the game have a lot of different types and you basically have to get the right weapon for the job like abit on the right side of the map there is a cave full of enemies that if you try to use a normal slashing weapon your normal attack will be deflected off the enemies only strong attacks can go through and hurt them normal attacks hurt them but does not really stop them from attacking.

The fall dmg is up and down as you can't tell what is too high or low in terms of taking dmg from the fall or flat out die as sometimes you feel you can make a jump down but it kills you even though you might think jumping in the air will soften the landing but it does not.

The open world feel the game has is really good and the bosses and the exploring is really good. I would say give it a try when it is cheaper if your on the fence about it but if you like souls like games and or jrpg style games it might be the next big game for you.