How's the PS5 performance post patch 1.03?

Golden Devil Gamer

1 hour ago, Golden Devil Gamer said:

Avoided the PS5 at launch because of it's inability to maintain a consistent 60fps and chose the PS4 version through backwards compatibility. Would love to play NG+ on PS5 with a save carried over, but I'm not sure if anything's been fixed. 

is the ps4 version a consistent 60fps? 

16 hours ago, Golden Devil Gamer said:

Through PS5's backward compatibility, yeah. I can't recall any framerate drops. And if there were, it must've been minor enough for me to miss it. 

oh cool! i thought the ps4 version was locked 30fps through backward compatibility, nice to know i can go for both without dealing with 30fps

• 10 months later...

Just a question, regarding the performance of Elden Ring version 1.08 on PS5:

Is playing the PS4 version on PS5 still the recommendation, or did they improve the performance of the PS5 version?

News I found on the web regarding this question are from older patches and/or 10 to 11 months old. So maybe somebody here in the community can share some experience?

Thank you very much.

On 11-2-2023 at 11:12 AM, Geridian said:

Just a question, regarding the performance of Elden Ring version 1.08 on PS5:

Is playing the PS4 version on PS5 still the recommendation, or did they improve the performance of the PS5 version?

News I found on the web regarding this question are from older patches and/or 10 to 11 months old. So maybe somebody here in the community can share some experience?

Thank you very much.

PS5 performance is still very rough in open world sections. I'm playing with a VRR display and it gets very chuggy once it goes below the VRR range. I don't think they actually did much, if anything, to improve performance.

Performance feels very solid once you're in a more linear area. It will drop frames here and there, but with a VRR display you're not going to notice the small drops.

Are the framerate drops in the open world sections a reason to play the PS4 version instead? I wouldn't say so. That's coming from someone who is very susceptible to poor performance.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Asimb0mb said:

PS5 performance is still very rough in open world sections. I'm playing with a VRR display and it gets very chuggy once it goes below the VRR range. I don't think they actually did much, if anything, to improve performance.

Performance feels very solid once you're in a more linear area. It will drop frames here and there, but with a VRR display you're not going to notice the small drops.

Thank you very much for an answer. ?

I do not own a display which has VRR support. So, I think I will see more framedrops.

Are the framerate drops in the open world sections a reason to play the PS4 version instead? I wouldn't say so. That's coming from someone who is very susceptible to poor performance.

At least, the recommendation all around the internet is to play the PS4 version on PS5. 

But it is good to read other people's opinions regarding this matter.

Edited by Geridian
Text

• 1 year later...

Generally, Elden Ring's PS5 performance was good. I'd say 50-60 FPS most of the time, but this is with no ray tracing (I don't use it on the PC version either, even with an RTX 4080) and in performance mode (2K). Any massive FPS drops were rare on PS5. I do have a VRR display, so this may have helped.

Late game, there is a certain walking mausoleum that will drop your frame rate.

Spoiler

It's in the Consecrated Snowfield, near Ordina and the Apostate Derelict. This WM fires a shipload of magic "fireworks" bombs that create huge explosions on the ground.