Sony: Fall of Nintendo could be bad for market

Lady Lilith

http://www.polygon.com/2014/2/4/5377128/nintendos-decline-could-be-detrimental-to-entire-market-says-sony

wii_u_gamepad.0_cinema_720.0.jpg
Nintendo's decline could be 'detrimental' to entire market, says PlayStation UK head

The fall of Nintendo could negatively impact the entire games market, especially if Sony and other major companies don't work towards attracting a younger audience, PlayStation UK head Fergal Gara told TrustedReviews.

Last month in its latest financial report, Nintendo posted an operating loss of over $15 million despite consistent sales of the Nintendo DS family of handhelds. The company also revealed that even though software sales rose 19 percent between April and Dec. 2013, it still was not enough to bolster Wii U sales.

"[The decline of Nintendo] could be detrimental to the market, unless people like us raise our game and help tap into the younger consumer group that they serve rather well", Gara said. "That is the challenge to us. We need to bring maybe more family-friendly, more casual experiences into the market. I think there's a big market segment there that we should take the challenge to engage and I see lots of potential to do that."

Nintendo reported that the Nintendo 3DS and its sibling handhelds like the Nintendo 2DS are still selling strongly, topping hardware and software charts last year.

"The DS family was the bestselling format last year, despite the stellar sales of the PS4 for the last four or five weeks, it was still the best selling console or console family," Gara said.

"I think Vita has maybe not a huge position in the marketplace, but a very unique position," he said of Sony's own handheld, which initially struggled to find its own footing in the market. "First of all it's the only device that offers the same level of control and interaction, it's the only device to offer the same level of visual beauty, and now it's the only console to offer that companionship with the leading home games console."

Sony latest PlayStation Vita Slim model, which launched in Japan last year, will be available in the U.K. beginning this Friday.

I do hope Nintendo doesn't fall, and not just for the industry's sake...I like them, but they need to get their head out of their asses and realize what made them into a powerhouse in the first place, and stop trying to appeal to whatever the latest fad is.  It may have worked for the Wii, but it isn't and won't work for the Wii U.

They should really bring back and remake the good old games like bomberman 64, donkey kong 64, earthbound, star fox or something (and no I dont mean put them on the virtual console). Im only seeing a bunch of Mario games..

Well Bomberman is Hudson, DK64 was made by Rare (owned by MS), Star Fox 64 was remade for 3ds and of course the most important part of it all is THEY NEED TO MAKE NEW AND EXCITING IPS INSTEAD OF JUST RELYING ON NOSTALGIA TO SELL CONSOLE... :| 

Sony had a bunch of great IPs on PS1 (twisted metal, spyro, crash, gran turismo etc) then when PS2 came out they kept some of those and then they gave us Ratchet, Sly, Jak, God of War Killzone etc. Then when the PS3 came out they kept some of those IPS and then gave us Uncharted, Littlebig Planet, inFamous, Resistance Heavy Rain etc.

See how continuing to improve and diversify is how Sony has been able to build itself up while Nintendo just gives us Mario/Zelda/Pokemon over and over and over

• Like 1

The article neglects generational gaming - those of us who have gamed our whole lives will introduce our kids to gaming. Gaming is no longer on the fringes of society, it's smack-bang in the middle of our home entertainment. Adults play on PCs, Playstations & Xboxes while the kids bash away on DSs, Wiis and iPads. 

Kids also can't get away from it in the schoolyard and on the mobile devices in almost every home these days, so there's little to no risk of failing to tap into the youth market. There are also more casual and family games than ever with franchises like Skylanders, Pokemon and Angry Birds reaping billions of dollars for their respective publishers.

All Nintendo needs to do to turn things around for the Wii U is improve their first-party release schedule. We all know what to expect, but we want it NOW, not in 2 or 3 years time.

Edited by ant1th3s1s
  • Like 1

Release a freaking console that doesn't sucks, or stick to portables.

The Wii U is the best console Nintendo has ever made, in my opinion, it just needs some good games to make it worth purchasing. It couldn't hurt to offer a decent online experience with an achievement system of sorts either. 

Parker

• Like 1

Nintendo somehow needs to steal Rare from Microsoft so they can start making some good games again, instead of just a bunch of shitty kinect games. Fucking Microsoft ruined my favourite developer.

I'd love a Banjo Kazooie platformer on Wii U, but it sounds like a ton of the original people left Rare quite some time ago.  But...if they could recapture the magic of the first two games (I happen to like the first more, probably due to nostalgia), I'd be more than happy.

• Like 1

I love Nintendo to death, my all time favorite game is Metroid Prime. One thing I want Ninty to do is to have some sort of achievement system. I hate having to get my multiplats like Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag on PS4 because I want to get it for the Wii U just so I can support 3rd Parties on the Wii U.

People are seriously blowing this WAY out of proportion. It takes a lot more than a single system to bring down a company. Sega had a string of at least 3 hardware failures before they had to call it quits. Nintendo failed once before with the Virtual Boy, and they recovered just fine from that. I still think it's entirely too early to say the Wii U is a failure too. It has no games, so no one is buying it. The only reason the same isn't happening with the PS4 and X1, is because they did a better job of promoting their systems and making people think they should get one(even though there really isn't a need to buy one right now). Once games like Zelda, Smash Bros, and Bayonetta 2 come out, the system will start to see an increase and sale, and will be fine. They have about 5million units sold, with essentially nothing to play. Which I'd say really isn't that bad, and definitely not to the point of the entire company failing. So people really need to chill out with the "Nintendo is dead" talk, they're more than fine. They're just trying to think of ways to adapt to the market, so that they don't become in danger of going under.

I'd also like to point out, again, that the exact same thing happened with the 3DS. Sales were horrible for the first two years, and now it's a must have system, because now there's games to play on it. The Wii U has only be out a little over a year.

Edited by ExHaseo

it looks like nintendo and fiat are the same company... release something that is ugly, bulky, with no features and expect it to sell..

yes 1 mario game A FUCKING YEAR is good...  not 20. all WII U has is mario and zelda.. i mean come on nintendo... 

and the huge touchpad controller? i played with it for 20 minutes and got VERY anoyed with it. who even came up with that shit? 

nintendo deserved this.. next time see what the market wants... i dont know if it'll help much since their name is damaged already but whatever.

the Nintendo DS is still fun to play tho, but WII U? come on... 

• Like 1

If it wasn't for Nintendo who saved the Video Game Industry during the Video Game crash of 1983 that was caused by Atari-Intellivision Console War (the first ever Console War), we would not have Playstation or Xbox. I am grateful to Nintendo and also it's because of Nintendo primarily that Playstation exist since Nintendo mange to piss off the CEO of Sony to the point of forcing Sony to make it's very own console, so in a way Playstation is the United States of America and Nintendo is the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland (weird since both are from Japan)

If it wasn't for Nintendo who saved the Video Game Industry during the Video Game crash of 1983 that was caused by Atari-Intellivision Console War (the first ever Console War), we would not have Playstation or Xbox. I am grateful to Nintendo and also it's because of Nintendo primarily that Playstation exist since Nintendo mange to piss off the CEO of Sony to the point of forcing Sony to make it's very own console, so in a way Playstation is the United States of America and Nintendo is the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland (weird since both are from Japan)

Never believe statements like "Nintendo saved the gaming industry!"...it's overstating their impact. If it wasn't them, it would have been someone else. The video game industry existed, the demand for games was high and the "console war" left a vacuum that Nintendo was simply in the right place at the right time to fill. 

I was personally playing on the Commodore 64 in the early 80s, followed by the Commodore Amiga in the late 80s, then PC from the early 90s until this day. Somehow I got by playing better games on superior hardware, regardless of the great video game crash of 1983.

It's like saying If it wasn't for the Commodore CDTV in 1991, we wouldn't have the Sega CD, the 3DO, the Jaguar, the PlayStation or the Xbox. However, CD-Rom devices were going to happen regardless, so the argument about who saved or created what is completely moot. Right place, right time, first-mover advantage. That doesn't mean others weren't doing the same thing.

If you want a more accurate take on history, if Nintendo didn't try to fuck Sony over in the CD-Rom deal for the SNES-CD, the PlayStation may never have happened. Well done Nintendo - your backstabbing of Sony led to them releasing a first-party console rather than a third-party add-on that never saw the light of day and we are eternally grateful for your deception.

Edited by ant1th3s1s
  • Like 2

Never believe statements like "Nintendo saved the gaming industry!"...it's overstating their impact. If it wasn't them, it would have been someone else. The video game industry existed, the demand for games was high and the "console war" left a vacuum that Nintendo was simply in the right place at the right time to fill. 

I was personally playing on the Commodore 64 in the early 80s, followed by the Commodore Amiga in the late 80s, then PC from the early 90s until this day. Somehow I got by playing better games on superior hardware, regardless of the great video game crash of 1983.

It's like saying If it wasn't for the Commodore CDTV in 1991, we wouldn't have the Sega CD, the 3DO, the Jaguar, the PlayStation or the Xbox. However, CD-Rom devices were going to happen regardless, so the argument about who saved or created what is completely moot.

If you want a more accurate take on history, if Nintendo didn't try to fuck Sony over in the CD-Rom deal for the SNES-CD, the PlayStation may never have happened. Well done Nintendo - your backstabbing of Sony led to them releasing a first-party console rather than a third-party add-on that never saw the light of day and we are eternally grateful for your deception.

You're right by saying that Nintendo saved the entire video game industry i did overstamate it's impact, what i meants was that Nintendo saved Video Game Console Market in America, The reason why is that the Video Game Crash of 1983 severly affected the video game industry in the U.S. while other places like Europe and Asia the crash was limited or non-existent. American Retailers taught that Video Games were just a fad like Disco, so video games weren't being sold as much. Atari, Hasbro, Collecovision, Magnavox tried their best to regain America's attention but all failed, the reason why Nintendo succeed out of all of them is because Nintendo went to Desperate means of getting their console to sell, They went store to store trying to convince people to sell their product but they keep getting regected until Nintendo made a deal with Worlds of Wonder (which at the time was the top toy company) where if they convince people to buy Nintendo consoles, World of Wonder would keep a percentage of their profits and also to convince people it not just the console they included R.O.B. a toy that kids can play with.

That is the Reason why i respect Nintendo and yes i know someone else could have came and save it but Nintendo was the one that did, so like it or not Nintendo did save the Video Game Industry in America and also Commodore only survived cause it thrived on the crash, it had ads saying "Trade in your Video game consoles to gain money for a Commodore" and "A Commodore would help your kid go to College". Like it or not Most people do consider Nintendo as the one revitalized the Video Game Industry and that is why Nintendo Entertainment System is number one on most video game lists. Also I agree Nintendo was stupid idiot for betraying Sony and going with Philips for the add on instead, but if it wasn't for that Playstation wouldn't exist.

Edited by TheVader66
  • Like 1

Nintendo somehow needs to steal Rare from Microsoft so they can start making some good games again, instead of just a bunch of shitty kinect games. Fucking Microsoft ruined my favourite developer.

The Oliver twins left Rare quite a while ago, so no need for Nintendo to steal Rare, just need them to start making decent games again for all systems. :)