Ps3 update brakes text and over laps?

Lonemankane

so I went to update my ps3 and now it has problems where it over laps text and does not show me my battery at all. looks like this. anyone know how to fix this?20220530_172106.jpg

Edit: I found a problem with it in terms of it is tied to the screen size and this is a problem now as now I can't seem to go into safe mode at all

Edited by Lonemankane

Could be a bad install. If it persists after multiple restarts, you may need to backup your save data and wipe to factory default. Hopefully it'll revert the firmware update so you can try updating again, but I think FW is there for good once it's installed.

Just now, Helyx said:

Could be a bad install. If it persists after multiple restarts, you may need to backup your save data and wipe to factory default. Hopefully it'll revert the firmware update so you can try updating again, but I think FW is there for good once it's installed.

Just now, MidnightDragon said:

Try rebuilding your database, too. Don't know if it'll help, but it won't hurt.

I think I will try the rebuild database then go for factory reset after as yeah.

1 minute ago, TheRetroManiac said:

Yeah, expect FW 4.90 to arrive as they broke things on different resolutions and these bugs have only shown up since they dropped the last update, actually surprised this is the first thread I'm seeing about it.

same, I was looking up about it everywhere and found nothing about it

27 minutes ago, TheRetroManiac said:

Yeah, expect FW 4.90 to arrive as they broke things on different resolutions and these bugs have only shown up since they dropped the last update, actually surprised this is the first thread I'm seeing about it.

i dont think 4.90 will happen

16 hours ago, Ghost-Zeus514 said:

I imagine we've got at 1 or 2 maintenance/security updates left at the bare minimum over the next couple of years, before Sony pulls the plug completely on the PS3 and Vita so don't be surprised if another one shows up at some point this year.

Edited by HuntingFever
Update.

I have 2 PS3's and one of them had the same problem. The crazy thing here is, I thought it was my TV that was getting all screwy.

I turned the TV off, while the PS3 was still on, and then turned it back on after about 10 seconds. The screen was fine with the PS3 again. The PS3 is connected to the TV via HDMI cable.

So I just found out what can be the problem but I don't want to do the whole factory reset as it is tied to the screens type. basically I have it normally set to 16:9 then 4:3 as that is the kind of tv I got. before I downloaded the patch it was fine but when I did download it, it made it break and right now I got no clue how to fix it as some games I can't play in 4:3 and just a fyi my settings are set to composite s video then d terminal. I tried using hdmi but still same problem. if anyone has any clue how to fix it please let me know as I don't want to have to deal with losing all my data or redownloading my games again

29 minutes ago, Lonemankane said:

So I just found out what can be the problem but I don't want to do the whole factory reset as it is tied to the screens type. basically I have it normally set to 16:9 then 4:3 as that is the kind of tv I got. before I downloaded the patch it was fine but when I did download it, it made it break and right now I got no clue how to fix it as some games I can't play in 4:3 and just a fyi my settings are set to composite s video then d terminal. I tried using hdmi but still same problem. if anyone has any clue how to fix it please let me know as I don't want to have to deal with losing all my data or redownloading my games again

Try to shut down the PS3. With it off, hold down the power button and don’t let it go until you hear a beep. That should set your PS3 to 480p resolution and might help the problem you’re having. 

6 hours ago, Ghost-Zeus514 said:

6 hours ago, HuntingFever said:

I imagine we've got at least 1 or 2 maintenance/security updates left, before Sony pulls the plug completely on the PS3 and Vita so don't be surprised if another one shows up at some point this year.

There’s no way Sony put in the effort to implement mandatory device passwords just to abandon the PS3 in the next year. Of course naysayers have been predicting the PS3s imminent demise since before the PS4 was launched, but a broken clock will still be right at some point in the future. Shitposters gonna shitpost. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, DaivRules said:

Try to shut down the PS3. With it off, hold down the power button and don’t let it go until you hear a beep. That should set your PS3 to 480p resolution and might help the problem you’re having. 

oh I found out how to do the safemode. as you hold it down for 3 beeps and once it is off again you hold it down and when you hear 2 fast beeps your good and are into safemode. However I found the problem it is tied to my display on ps3 being set to 16:9 or 4:3 as I normally have it at 16:9 as that is my main way plus it helps me see the screen better. it worked before the update but after downloading it and redownloading it with the safemode/usb it didn't work I don't want to factory reset this as I hate the idea of it as yeah it is too nuclear for me if you ask me as yeah.

do you know any other way to fix it?

Edited by Lonemankane

10 hours ago, DaivRules said:

The directions I gave aren’t for Safe Mode or for a factory reset. It’s a specific resolution reset that is used for clearing any video settings on the console. 

oh I tried doing that but it just changes the mode from 16:9 to 4:3 not the resolution

22 minutes ago, Lonemankane said:

oh I tried doing that but it just changes the mode from 16:9 to 4:3 not the resolution

It does change the resolution. For the PS3, 4:3 is 480, 16:9 is either 720 (default) or 1080. Ratio is not resolution. It’s resets the video settings to basic 640 x 480 (hence 4 by 3) resolution and can also change the output from HDMI to composite if there are problems with displays. 

1 hour ago, DaivRules said:

It does change the resolution. For the PS3, 4:3 is 480, 16:9 is either 720 (default) or 1080. Ratio is not resolution. It’s resets the video settings to basic 640 x 480 (hence 4 by 3) resolution and can also change the output from HDMI to composite if there are problems with displays. 

Oh but that is the thing if I change it to 4:3 it works fine when I change it in the setting or the button press way it is still ok in that format but if I want it to be at all 16:9 it is still broken and can't fix it. it runs in 575i when in both modes.