Gaming Suggestions,Mass Effect/FallOut Etc.

Cherry

Hey there. So I have been thinking of getting into the Mass Effect series,and Fallout. But not really sure if it's worth setting aside how many other games I have yet to play / am currently playing at the moment for. They both really fit the kind of games I'm into,and I've been finding it hard to keep my mind focused on the games I'm working on now. Let me know what you guys think; If you have played the games,like them,whatever. Also feel free to suggest any other games I might like that are similar. Thanks :3

Both the Fallout and Mass Effect series are tremendous. I would possibly say Fallout 3 is among the best games I've ever played: Its atmosphere, game-play, theme, story - everything in other words - is top-notch. Mass Effect is a unique bit of brilliance that I think every gamer should experience in their life-time; particularly the second game in the series, which is just a fantastic game from top-to-bottom. Also, and perhaps most importantly, they're both a lot of fun to play. 

• Like 2

Woman! You already know my opinion on the matter, I can't speak for Mass Effect besides the story is great from what I heard from fans of the game. But I can speak for Fallout and I loved every moment I played them and Fallout 3 is in top 5 favorite games of all time and I played a lot of games in my time. If you can overlook the glitches and freezes of the game and yes they will get annoying, you will have a amazing time on them and maybe just maybe even when you finished the game 100% you will go back for seconds. (;

Your lord and master,

Draco.

• Like 1

I haven't played Fallout games (except for the beginning of Fallout 3), but I do recommend Mass Effect, they're some of my favourite games. The story is just excellent and the way your character and your decisions are important in the other games is very nice. A lot of people complain about the possible endings of ME3 but I personally liked the game a lot.

ME1 is a bit different from the other two, in my opinion it's the hardest and it's the one that needs most hours put into because of being generally more complex. But I have all three plats and for me, the most rewarding one is still ME1.

ME2 and ME3 are a lot more evolved with the gameplay and ME2 for me is the masterpiece of the series. But with the three of them you get the sensation of epicness.

• Like 1

I haven't played Fallout games (except for the beginning of Fallout 3), but I do recommend Mass Effect, they're some of my favourite games. The story is just excellent and the way your character and your decisions are important in the other games is very nice. A lot of people complain about the possible endings of ME3 but I personally liked the game a lot.

ME1 is a bit different from the other two, in my opinion it's the hardest and it's the one that needs most hours put into because of being generally more complex. But I have all three plats and for me, the most rewarding one is still ME1.

ME2 and ME3 are a lot more evolved with the gameplay and ME2 for me is the masterpiece of the series. But with the three of them you get the sensation of epicness.

Like sooo many people have recommended me these series and I just didn't go for it right away. But if they are really as good as everyone says then I think I really should go ahead and try them out. I did actually have Me3 a while back and only played like an hour of it before I put it away and was like,yea I am just way too confused on what's happening that I think I really need to play the first two before even attempting this. 

I never really cared for Fallout, so I guess I'm odd man out. I was able to tough it out and finish it, but I never could understand all the hype. I may have gotten more enjoyment out of the game if there weren't sooooo many issues. Bugs, glitches, framerate and worst of all was the the freezes. I believe the freezes were from the framerate slowdown which was caused by my save file getting larger than 10mb. Still, I had at least three freezes that I wasn't sure if my ps3 was going to survive. You should still try it to see for yourself. You may like it. I just wanted to make you aware of the problems that I had.

I know you said that you were tired of the games that you were currently working on, but you have at least a half dozen games that need only a handful of trophies to plat. Would you consider going back to Arkham Asylum, Arkham City, or Bioshock? They're all stellar games and great plats to have under your belt. I also saw a Lego game in there and some GoW's and Assassin's Creeds that need some more attention. ;)

Edited by Rowdi

If Mass Effect wouldn't have been ported to playstation I would have gotten a Xbox just for this game. I have played all three games numerous times and the great thing about this series is it will make you want to come back due to the different playstyles each class has to offer and the choices you make during the story. My roommate at the time played the game a good 20+ times and seriously I have seen people on the internet with a Mass Effect playthrough counter of +50.

ME 2 is imo the best one of the series, I have literally spent hours babbling to everyone just to find out what they have to say. You could play the game 5-6 times and never have the same conversations. If you can find a used copy of ME trilogy that would be the cheapest way to get them all, please note it will not include ME2's the Arrival DLC nor does it include any of the 3 ME3's DLCs that are available. These games will keep you busy for a good +250 hours :)

I haven't played too much Fallout yet so I don't feel like I'm allowed to have an opinion on that. If you enjoy games that give you a bit of freedom and let you influence the story/gameplay a little I'd suggest trying Deus Ex or Dishonored. Have a look at some gameplay footage and see for yourself!

Edit: Ah you already have Dishonored. Well good for you!

Edited by Goekie

Fallout 3 and Mass Effect 2 are two of my favorites of all time.  My Fallout 3 save file was something like 110 hours (including all DLC) and I still felt like I didn't explore every nook and cranny like I wanted to.  So be prepared to lose yourself in Fallout's world as it is not best suited for playing in short bursts or whilst distracted by other games IMO.

Both the Fallout and Mass Effect series are tremendous. I would possibly say Fallout 3 is among the best games I've ever played: Its atmosphere, game-play, theme, story - everything in other words - is top-notch. Mass Effect is a unique bit of brilliance that I think every gamer should experience in their life-time; particularly the second game in the series, which is just a fantastic game from top-to-bottom. Also, and perhaps most importantly, they're both a lot of fun to play. 

I pretty much agree with Gota here 100%. Having played all the games in both series, you can't go wrong with either.

I went into both ME2 and FO3 with the notion that these were the BEST GAMES EVAR!!11!one!!!! and was largely disappointed, so much so that I stopped playing both of them and didn't pick them up until a year or 2 had passed. When I finally did get around to playing them I enjoyed them and found them fun but hardly the BEST GAME EVAR.

So I don't know you personally or what you may enjoy but just go into these games with normal expectations and realize that the standards set by some people may not match your own.  In my OPINION these games do not live up to the hype but are still good games.

I haven't started the Fallout series myself, but I can definately tell you that the Mass Effect series is worth stopping everything else and playing through. If you end up liking that, I'd also recommend Alpha Protocol. Its gameplay is similar to the Mass Effect series except its done on a smaller scale...still a great game nonetheless.

I never really cared for Fallout, so I guess I'm odd man out. I was able to tough it out and finish it, but I never could understand all the hype. I may have gotten more enjoyment out of the game if there weren't sooooo many issues. Bugs, glitches, framerate and worst of all was the the freezes. I believe the freezes were from the framerate slowdown which was caused by my save file getting larger than 10mb. Still, I had at least three freezes that I wasn't sure if my ps3 was going to survive. You should still try it to see for yourself. You may like it. I just wanted to make you aware of the problems that I had.

I know you said that you were tired of the games that you were currently working on, but you have at least a half dozen games that need only a handful of trophies to plat. Would you consider going back to Arkham Asylum, Arkham City, or Bioshock? They're all stellar games and great plats to have under your belt. I also saw a Lego game in there and some GoW's and Assassin's Creeds that need some more attention. ;)

That's a big issue for me. I lose my commitment to a game when it comes to getting the last few trophies I need. Pretty much why most of my completions on games take me months or a year rather than what it really would be,just a few weeks. But I always find myself going back to them eventually,I don't sell any of my games so I keep them all for later if I ever wanna revisit them. And I do plan on platting a few more Gows,Bioshock,and Batman in the future! I just wanted to give some new games I haven't tried before a go. I like being diverse with my selection of what I play,like how my list will vary from Lego games to Final Fantasy to Borderlands,etc. :P

Thanks for letting me know about all the problems you had with it! My ps3 is quite old and seems to freeze on virtually any game I play sometimes so it may not seem like it's all because of Fallout for me. And some glitches can be funny.. unless they're game breaking glitches. 

If Mass Effect wouldn't have been ported to playstation I would have gotten a Xbox just for this game. I have played all three games numerous times and the great thing about this series is it will make you want to come back due to the different playstyles each class has to offer and the choices you make during the story. My roommate at the time played the game a good 20+ times and seriously I have seen people on the internet with a Mass Effect playthrough counter of +50.

ME 2 is imo the best one of the series, I have literally spent hours babbling to everyone just to find out what they have to say. You could play the game 5-6 times and never have the same conversations. If you can find a used copy of ME trilogy that would be the cheapest way to get them all, please note it will not include ME2's the Arrival DLC nor does it include any of the 3 ME3's DLCs that are available. These games will keep you busy for a good +250 hours :)

I haven't played too much Fallout yet so I don't feel like I'm allowed to have an opinion on that. If you enjoy games that give you a bit of freedom and let you influence the story/gameplay a little I'd suggest trying Deus Ex or Dishonored. Have a look at some gameplay footage and see for yourself!

Edit: Ah you already have Dishonored. Well good for you!

It's cool,if I really enjoy the game I will probably just buy the dlcs anyway. :)

And yup! I love open world games and games that give you a choice to influence what happens. Dishonored I found really.. hard. I don't know if it's just because I really suck at being stealthy,but whenever I walk into a new area in that game,I always am thinking that this time I'm going to try to take the road less traveled on approach and not kill anyone,but then by the end of the mission,I've probably killed eveeerryyyyooone. 

Fallout 3 is one of the greatest games ever made, it is rather buggy but the game is too amazing for you to really notice. I tried to play Fallout: New Vegas but I couldn't get into it and haven't played it since. 

I've only played Mass Effect 2 and 3, personally I think ME2 is overrated, still a brilliant game but not as good as everybody says. ME3 is good, haven't finished it yet though.

I'd choose Fallout 3 if I were you.

Fallout 3 is one of the greatest games ever made, it is rather buggy but the game is too amazing for you to really notice. I tried to play Fallout: New Vegas but I couldn't get into it and haven't played it since. 

I've only played Mass Effect 2 and 3, personally I think ME2 is overrated, still a brilliant game but not as good as everybody says. ME3 is good, haven't finished it yet though.

I'd choose Fallout 3 if I were you.

You definately should play the first game especially if you tend to enjoy the RPG aspects more. I couldn't imagine playing through such an amazing series without starting at the very beginning!

Edited by merciful84

Mass Effect I give you my 100% recommendation to play. I can't speak for Fallout but everybody seems to love them, so theres that. 

Just keep in mind the first ME is kind of old so there are some issues with it gameplay-wise. The voice acting also tends to run out of sinc sometimes. Nothing that will ruin your experience but is better if you know it before hand. Hope you enjoy it if you decide to play them.

Start Mass Effect only if you don't care to be crushed with a crappy ending in the 3rd game.

As much as I agree that the ending was an overall letdown, it's about the journey - not the destination.

As a HUGE Mass Effect fan, my advice is play the series if you have a lot of time. ME2 took up six months of my gaming schedule because I played it so much and created so many characters to play through the game with. That's why in 2011 I had the lowest number of plats. However, I have to be honest and say that if you start ME1, please give it a chance before brushing it aside. I played ME2 and ME3 first because ME1 wasn't available on PS3 yet so when I played ME1, it took me a little while to get into it. All of my friends that played the series felt the same way. But another friend that started the series from the beginning also said it hasn't grabbed her yet. Once you get past that, though, I feel ME1 has the best plot in the trilogy.

Mass Effect? Never had interest but I can honestly say that the whole concept of Fallout is like, cool. So yeah as much as I know I could've had like a totally rad time with Fallout 3 & New Vegas, I'll rather wait for Fallout 4 for PS4. ^_^ I don't want to deal with the amounts of frame rate issues or crashes that FO3 & FONV has on PS3 even if they're fully patched. I played Skyrim and it's too much for the PS3 hardware to handle, the issues were pretty frustrating so.... I suggest you don't play Skyrim. I'll wait for FO4 since I got this good feeling that Fallout 4 will have less lame issues and will play silky smoothly because of the PS4's awesome hardware!

You already played Borderlands.... try out Rage. Oh yeah, also the Ratchet & Clank games. Full of personality & unique weapons btw, R&C is getting a movie in 2015.

Edited by XxTerminator