Proposal of a New Look for Trophy Cards

BlindMango
Go to solution Solved by ExHaseo,

So trophy cards are one of those awesome features of PSN Profiles and I'm the guy that adds/improves the images for them currently, however I think the trophy card layout looks a little bit dated (and I may be the only one that thinks this). In my boredom I created what I would like to see for a new look in trophy cards. Now, these cards will be the same size, the overlays that contain all the data take up the same space but it's all just a more modernized look! I'm posting it here to see what everyone thinks about it, good idea? Bad idea? Take a look for yourselves and please let me know with your honest feedback with what you think!  ;)

Current Trophy Card

trophycardreg.png

Trophy Card Proposal

NewTrophyCardProposal.png

Trophy Card Proposal 2 (Based off of some feedback)

NewTrophyCardProposal2.png

A few things to note:

• Flat, modern look, no more "gradient" look at the top and bottom since gradient designs are kinda dated now.
  • Still has customazible colors like current cards. However, current cards use a "gradient" look - it fades from a dark to light shade of the color that you select. The new design will instead choose the light "shade" of that color and apply it to the very top section and behind the individual trophy counts on the right. The darkest "shade" will be used in the two horizontal "bars" that go across the top and bottom of the card.
  • Like the current cards, there is still the 1 pixel dark "border" around the card to make it "pop" more (Sly will probably know what I'm talking about here)
  • New PSN Profiles logo (the logo at the top-left of the website) is used on the bottom-left of this card.
  • Rankings get moved to the top under the name.
  • PS Plus logo removed (Is it necessary at this point? If you guys say it is necessary we could put it at the bottom-right by the total points - or to the right of the name like it is now).
  • Mostly uses same exact fonts and sizes, however the username is ever so slightly smaller along with making the two leaderboard ranking images (country and worldwide) like 1 pixel smaller.
  • Modern flat square look - no curved edges and no gradients/fades!

Please let me know what you guys think of this, I'm just throwing it out there for consideration because, hey, why not! - just to see if anyone likes the idea

Here's the example template for an orange-colored overlay.

Actual .PNG Overlay template/example with transparency.

OverlayTemplate.png

What the above template looks like in an editing program/image behind it

checkeredoverlay.png

Anyway, can't wait to hear what you guys think of the idea!

Edited by BlindMango
  • Like 4

Personally, I like it a lot. The only thing that bugs me is that the avatar is on top of both the low-opacity layer and the opaque layer, making it seem a bit... I don't know, it's just bugging me. All I can think of to fix that is to use either one to cover the avatar zone. Beyond that, I think that design is really quite good. +1

• Like 1

Just from first glance, I like the current trophy card better. Not really liking the position of the country and world ranking on the proposed card. But I do like the blue color on the "PSN" letters. That's a nicely added detail.

Okay, cool, thanks for the feedback. In an updated proposal I'll probably move some things around and put the rankings back at the bottom-left and the website logo back in the middle or something like that.  ;)

Personally, I like it a lot. The only thing that bugs me is that the avatar is on top of both the low-opacity layer and the opaque layer, making it seem a bit... I don't know, it's just bugging me. All I can think of to fix that is to use either one to cover the avatar zone. Beyond that, I think that design is really quite good. +1

Thanks! And noted! I kinda looked at it in a way of the avatar hanging over both of them or something, but there's some other nice ways to show the avatar area too. I'll maybe work on something different in that area later on.

I like it but would get rid of the 2 bars at the top that have the name and rankings and just make it one bar/colour.

Yeah, I was also considering that too, however I think the two layers make it seem ... bigger or something.

If you have a white bg image for your trophy card then the text will be invisible without the gradient innit?

Nope,all text is backed by an overlay, even the overlay at the top is darker than the regular image.

I would like to have an option to use the old one if this were to happen. I'm not at all a fan of all these modern designs. The solid colours and lack of curved lines seem clunky, messy and aren't as easy on the eyes as gradients are, to me anyway.

Edit: This probably came across as insulting, but I meant it to be aimed at flat designs as a whole, not specifically your mock-up.

Edited by Shadiochao
  • Like 1

Alrighty guys, I took some community feedback and made a second proposal image (edited in at the top of the page ^ ), I moved the leaderboard rankings back and I also used gradient (yup, gradient!) from left to right at the top. Also re-added the PS+ logo. What do you guys think of that one?

Edited by BlindMango

Alrighty guys, I took some community feedback and made a second proposal image (edited in at the top of the page ^ ), I moved the leaderboard rankings back and I also used gradient (yup, gradient!) from left to right at the top. Also re-added the PS+ logo. What do you guys think of that one?

The second proposal is perfect :yay:

• Like 1

I say, leave it as it is. There's absolutely no need to change, and frankly, the "gradient" look that you say is outdated is much better than the flat look we're seeing EVERYWHERE nowadays.

And I like others to know I don't have PS+, so I think it IS needed to not make it disappear. It's not like everyone will start using it anyway.

• Like 1

I don't know, I still think the one we have now is pretty much perfect.

The solid line going through the second row of text seems unnecessary to me, which screams change for the sake of change. It separates things that don't really need to be separated.

I have no problems with it at all if I can continue to use the current version, though.

• Like 1

I don't know, I still think the one we have now is pretty much perfect.

The solid line going through the second row of text seems unnecessary to me, which screams change for the sake of change. It separates things that don't really need to be separated.

I have no problems with it at all if I can continue to use the current version, though.

Yeah, I get what you mean, there's likely no reason to worry though as this most likely won't become finalized, honestly I'm just seeing what everyone thinks of the idea of a different trophy card and it seems that some like the idea, some don't, and some are indifferent. Ultimately it will be what Sly decides to do with it, which I'm guessing he would probably most likely keep the current trophy card and at the absolute most he would change like one thing :P  Well, that's what I'm guessing, lol

Edited by BlindMango

• Solution

I like the one we have. It has more transparency so you can see the image better, has all the information it needs, and you can read everything clearly.

In the proposals, the template is darker and covers up more of the image, and I don't see why you'd want to do that. And as someone with bad vision, I don't like the smaller font used for the points either. It's hard enough to read as it is, and for the proposals I had to lean into my computer to read it. I can understand wanting the new site logo in there, but otherwise, I don't see why you'd want to change the trophy card to cover up more of the image and make the font smaller. Just doesn't make much sense to me. If the layout change was drastic, it'd be more understandable. 

Either way, if it gets adopted, it wouldn't be a huge deal as long as we still have the option to use the original template.

• Like 4

I like the Proposal 2, the only thing that really bothers me is the PSN Profiles logo in the bottom, I'd stick with the current one because it's smaller and just white, the blue color in the PSN can look particularly bad with certain colors in the background. Perhaps if the "PSN" color changes as well according to the main color it would look better, but I still prefer the smaller PSNProfiles name.

I don't know, I guess I could live with either version.

(I must say that you did a very comprehensive post explaining all the possible changes, that's very nice)

• Like 1

Hey, thanks for all the feedback guys. This was mostly an experiment to see what everyone thought about it and it was interesting to see. Needless to say, even though there are certain things I love about the proposed design I did, you guys did convince me of a ton of reasons why the the current one is most likely the best one, thanks for all of your comments!  :)

The template is darker and covers up more of the image, and I don't see why you'd want to do that.

Yeah, I actually didn't mean to do that, I tried to keep it the same but it ended up a little darker so then I was like "crap", lol I figured it wasn't worth all the effort to go back and fix it because it was the general idea of the layout that I wanted to show

Edited by BlindMango

I like the one we have. It has more transparency so you can see the image better, has all the information it needs, and you can read everything clearly.

In the proposals, the template is darker and covers up more of the image, and I don't see why you'd want to do that. And as someone with bad vision, I don't like the smaller font used for the points either. It's hard enough to read as it is, and for the proposals I had to lean into my computer to read it. I can understand wanting the new site logo in there, but otherwise, I don't see why you'd want to change the trophy card to cover up more of the image and make the font smaller. Just doesn't make much sense to me. If the layout change was drastic, it'd be more understandable. 

Either way, if it gets adopted, it wouldn't be a huge deal as long as we still have the option to use the original template.

I have to agree with ExHaseo. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

The transparency issue isn't a big deal, that's easily manipulated. But the gradient does add a bit more depth to the card and I'd be inclined to leave it in. It's small potatoes either way.

I prefer the larger-width font for Points, the larger font-size for Username, and the font logo for PSNPROFILES looks a bit crap. You also run the risk of the blue PSN being invisible on certain background images - white stands out on everything.

All told, option #2 with flat instead of gradient upper / lower bars works fine, as long as the transparency is increased. But don't change the fonts.

Edited by ant1th3s1s
  • Like 1

Nice to see you trying this! Personally, It's I think it looks okay but that being said so does the current.

I believe the design of the current cards can be made better by altering the main style, obviously easier said then done but I think a cleaner look can be made and this would represent PSNP even better. The cards are "Meh, they are okay and functional" currently but they could actually look really good like style of this site in general, if revamped.

• Like 1

So trophy cards are one of those awesome features of PSN Profiles and I'm the guy that adds/improves the images for them currently, however I think the trophy card layout looks a little bit dated (and I may be the only one that thinks this). In my boredom I created what I would like to see for a new look in trophy cards. Now, these cards will be the same size, the overlays that contain all the data take up the same space but it's all just a more modernized look! I'm posting it here to see what everyone thinks about it, good idea? Bad idea? Take a look for yourselves and please let me know with your honest feedback with what you think!  ;)

Current Trophy Card

trophycardreg.png

Trophy Card Proposal

NewTrophyCardProposal.png

Trophy Card Proposal 2 (Based off of some feedback)

NewTrophyCardProposal2.png

A few things to note:

• Flat, modern look, no more "gradient" look at the top and bottom since gradient designs are kinda dated now.
  • Still has customazible colors like current cards. However, current cards use a "gradient" look - it fades from a dark to light shade of the color that you select. The new design will instead choose the light "shade" of that color and apply it to the very top section and behind the individual trophy counts on the right. The darkest "shade" will be used in the two horizontal "bars" that go across the top and bottom of the card.
  • Like the current cards, there is still the 1 pixel dark "border" around the card to make it "pop" more (Sly will probably know what I'm talking about here)
  • New PSN Profiles logo (the logo at the top-left of the website) is used on the bottom-left of this card.
  • Rankings get moved to the top under the name.
  • PS Plus logo removed (Is it necessary at this point? If you guys say it is necessary we could put it at the bottom-right by the total points - or to the right of the name like it is now).
  • Mostly uses same exact fonts and sizes, however the username is ever so slightly smaller along with making the two leaderboard ranking images (country and worldwide) like 1 pixel smaller.
  • Modern flat square look - no curved edges and no gradients/fades!

Please let me know what you guys think of this, I'm just throwing it out there for consideration because, hey, why not! - just to see if anyone likes the idea

Here's the example template for an orange-colored overlay.

Actual .PNG Overlay template/example with transparency.

OverlayTemplate.png

What the above template looks like in an editing program/image behind it

checkeredoverlay.png

Anyway, can't wait to hear what you guys think of the idea!

I like the proposal 2. I think they should be choices rather than the overall look. So if we get bored of one then we can use the others that are there. 

• Like 1