Is the Jim Ryan hate really justified?

Sendai-Horatio

35 minutes ago, PMA-Daniel said:

Dude has turned playstation into what microsoft was last 2 years ago.

Anti consumer practices
allowing shovelware to flood the store
multi-region and auto pops
bungling the ps5 release in terms of backwards compatibility

only thing hes doing right is starting to release all playstation exclusives on PC so I can continue playing on my PC  

Sony has also failed to bring a lot of decent indies over, not just stuff like Rogue Legacy 2 but also a lot of Japanese titles. 

I don’t know if Jim Ryan single handedly allowed shovelware to flood the store but whoever is in charge of quality control is doing a craptastic job at it. 

42 minutes ago, PMA-Daniel said:

only thing hes doing right is starting to release all playstation exclusives on PC so I can continue playing on my PC  

This is strange because this is the one thing that seems to have everyone be one of the main reasons they hate him. The playstation ports on PC have been portrayed as playstation handing it's identity over to Valve and that sony is retiring from being a serious competitor because all their games can be found on PC, so why bother with a PS5?

7 hours ago, Dark_Overlord said:

I don't like the bloke.  I've been with the Playstation since day one (PS1/2/3/4 PSP Vita) and everything that I liked about the company is gone.  He doesn't care about games in the slightest, only money.  Compared to the old Sony execs Shawn Layden etc who were genuinely interested in gaming, he just comes across as an empty shell.  Couple that with the censorship and closing of studios, and Sony have gone from a 9/10 company to me to a 2/10 company.

I've told many people this several times but it never seems to stick. The job of the CEO is to make money, they do not need to give a single ounce of a shit about the product because they received their job with the explicit purpose of making money for shareholders. The sooner people realize this, the sooner they can begin to properly understand how business works. As for hatred, Jim Ryan's job is to be the face of the company for this explicit reason so you blame him for the shit that he actually has no hand in, that's why CEO's make so much money, they take ALL of the blame for anything that goes wrong and you're not going to find someone willing to be the fall guy when things go bad unless you're willing to pay them

7 hours ago, VigilantCrow said:

Jim's a perfect example on why tech companies need people with actual technical experience in leadership roles.

Business backgrounds are critical for sure, but if you don't know the field you're in, you can't make logical business decisions 

CEO's delegate, it's typically the directors who do all of the things people usually blame Ryan for.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, DEI2EK said:

Censorship

closing of fan favorite studios

more focus on remakes/remasters than new games

refusal to support full backwards compatibility 

going all in on games as a service 

there’s a lot to dislike about Jim Ryan, he’s turning Sony into a third party publisher

Jim Ryan didn't institute the censorship policy, that was Totoki

Japan Studio had a grand total of 2 big sellers in the PS4 era. No one bought their games, if they were true fan favorites then the games would have sold more.

The PS5 costs $500 as is, increased BC Support would raise the price more. Do you need to be reminded how well the PS3 went when it was $600? 

Games as a Service bring in big money relative to their cost and everyone is doing it now so why single this out?

6 hours ago, Cryogenicide_X said:

It utterly amuses me how much people suck off Phil because he talks about games in his pre written speeches as if those are his actual feelings. Phil is about as much of a gamer is Ryan is, but he's managed to make people believe "he's just like me" because he brings up some flavor of the month

Edited by majob
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, majob said:

Jim Ryan didn't institute the censorship policy, that was Totoki

Japan Studio had a grand total of 2 big sellers in the PS4 era. No one bought their games, if they were true fan favorites then the games would have sold more.

The PS5 costs $500 as is, increased BC Support would raise the price more. Do you need to be reminded how well the PS3 went when it was $600? 

Games as a Service bring in big money relative to their cost and everyone is doing it now so why single this out?

It utterly amuses me how much people suck off Phil because he talks about games in his pre written speeches as if those are his actual feelings. Phil is about as much of a gamer is Ryan is, but he's managed to make people believe "he's just like me" because he brings up some flavor of the month

I agree with you, but trying to convince those two and others who hate Jim Ryan is not worth it imo. I tried to tell them that Sony has good relationships with SE, Bandai Namco and other Japanese gaming companies, but do they listen? Nope.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Cryogenicide_X said:

It's guys like, Andrew House, Shaun Layden, there the true greats, not Jim Ryan. 

Phil is a Saint compared to Jim Ryan. Jim Ryan is the Dom Mattrick of Xbox. The day Jim Ryan steps down is the day most people will celebrate. He won't be missed at all, good riddance to that piece of trash. Shaun Layden was the man, he was a gamer at heart. He knew what gamers wanted and saw it not just from the business side but also from the gamers side. Jim Ryan isn't a gamer, he knows nothing about gaming. The only thing Jim Ryan knows is business, nothing more. He's so out of touch with the demographic. 

Mattrick had a part to play in the bungled Xbox One launch in 2013 which led to Sony dominating the entire competition. Before, the PS3 and Xbox 360 were proper competitors which both generated pretty sizable fanbases. 

Everything that was great about Sony is slipping away. They are no different than EA, Activision, Ubisoft and 2K Games. All morally corrupt, all about the corporate business model. Consumers get nickel and dimed. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Alantor32 said:

Oh, my bad. Still, I gave up on Windows and switched to Macbook

Windows might have its issues but it pales compared to how much Apple shaft their customers. But their customers lap it up. Slap an iPhone label on a brick and they will rush out and buy it. 

13 hours ago, PMA-Daniel said:

Anti consumer practices

Fortunately playstation has not banned playing of offline games and pre owned games like Microsoft proposed with the release of Xbox One in 2015. Before the worst launch in history for a gaming system made them reverse all of that. Put it this way, 3 months after release I picked up my Xbox one with an elite controller and 3 games for 200 quid in Game. Thats how much it damaged sales. 

13 hours ago, PMA-Daniel said:

Anti consumer practices

Yoshida was miles better than him, and more enthusiastic about PlayStation.

all this things not exactly connect to each other, but bringing PS IP's to PC is a big step forward.

13 hours ago, Sendai-Horatio said:

This is strange because this is the one thing that seems to have everyone be one of the main reasons they hate him. The playstation ports on PC have been portrayed as playstation handing it's identity over to Valve and that sony is retiring from being a serious competitor because all their games can be found on PC, so why bother with a PS5?

From a business point of view, every company does that, if it involves money of curse.

The thing is Jim is working for Sony since forever, not like day one, but pretty much all his business career he's been ranking up at Sony. He's getting a lot of hate because he's in charge of the games and network service, and in todays world there is a lot of demand and things are advancing and changing faster than we imagine. and after COVID-19 every business has suffered, even collapsed. to be fair he's doing a great job, and every decision that happens is not a decision he made himself, be sure of that. There is a big difference in a business that works and a business that succeeds. Sony don't have the money like Microsoft, Apple & Amazon, etc. but they are a big company because every product they have is elite.

I don’t know him. I’m sure he’s a perfectly nice person. 

He’s a very wealthy, highly paid senior leader so I don’t feel he deserves any sympathy from me. 

I’m sure he doesn’t lose any sleep over all the negativity surrounding him online. It comes with the job and he is the public face of a large, profitable and successful business so he’s doing his job fine it seems.

I find many of the trends in contemporary gaming (unnecessary remasters, lack of exciting new ip, games as service, lack of courage in developing inventive new gameplay etc.) to be frustrating but I’m more inclined to blame ‘the system’ and pressure to deliver financial outcomes than an individual person. 

• Like 1