Is the Jim Ryan hate really justified?

Sendai-Horatio

Just now, dmland12 said:

Am I the only one who has literally no opinion on Jim Ryan?  I wouldn't even know the guy's name except for when people talk about him in threads like this.

You’re not.

Jim Ryan is like those “Stroke the Dog” or “Jumping Pizza” games…

…if it wasn’t for people on here constantly complaining about them, I would barely be aware they existed.?

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, MidnightDragon said:

He’s done some very questionable things, but think Phil Spencer and his predecessors are worse. 

I agree. Phil Spencer has not done some good decisions with Windows and Xbox, I gave up on Microsoft and switched to Apple Macbook since it's much better than Windows 11 or whatever version they have.

In some cases like being rude to the guy, yea that isn't justified.  However, In my opinion the problems with Playstation  is a Sony problem as a whole.

PS4 kinda ruined online play for console games for me, the Paid PS+ Subscription, shutdown of old online game servers. Plus Censorship & horrid community guidelines.  Remakes that don't have online play. Like in 2008 I love switching between computer to console. Now I'm just on my computer majority of the time. Discord being better then anything sony has to offer when it comes to communication between players, like the amount of Spam messages on PS is bad.   

Company going from Japan to California.

Sony hasn't really made any new interesting franchises and if anything many of PS3 franchises are dead now. 

The Playstation Store sucks, it has for awhile since they rehauled PS3 years ago, Vita & PS3 Abandoned to the point where even the value of PS3/Vita games has gone down because the Online Patches 1.01 to reinstall games aren't coming through. 
No real backwards compatibility on new systems.
PS3 / Vita  I had the easy ability to jump on PS2/ PS1 stuff.   

PS5 is the First Playstation system that I have lost interest in buying. Like even if I end getting one for free It probably just be another thing on a shelve.  

I already would be skeptical if any new consoles / handhelds are made from Sony which is sad.  

I want Sony to make more fun addicting games,  work on high interest hardware and wholesome software.  Hindsight need better developers and more interesting franchises. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, ResiGamer_28 said:

Phil Spencer hasn't monetized customer service. 

Microsoft has had monetized customer service for years now. This is mostly relating to their business software but companies having a priority group like that isn't something new.

Edited by Sendai-Horatio
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, Cryogenicide_X said:

What are you talking about? He's the boss of PlayStation, most things probably have to go through him to get approved. He's the one making all these bad decisions and running PlayStation into the ground. 

This is exactly the kind of thing I mean; that is not what a CEO's job is. SIE has over 8000 employees, it's ludicrous to think that every decision that comes out of a company that size is approved by a single person. His main "job" is to be the face and liaison between SIE's various internal teams and the board of directors/shareholders. I work at a company with a similar org structure, including a CEO, and I almost guarantee he does not know or care about every micro-decision made by our teams.

As mentioned above, he's paid well enough that he can afford to be hated online, so keep doing it. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Undead Wolf said:

How can you say this man isn't a gamer? Just look at how elegantly he holds the controller. That's something only a real gamer knows how to do.

lQWnVZF.png

He's currently playing the latest PlayStation Studios2122.png AAA blockbuster which you can purchase yourself for the low low cost of 70 US dollars. 

How to pose for a staged photo. The boss of playstation doesn't even know how to hold a playstation controller. 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Undead Wolf said:

How can you say this man isn't a gamer? Just look at how elegantly he holds the controller. That's something only a real gamer knows how to do.

lQWnVZF.png

He's currently playing the latest PlayStation Studios2122.png AAA blockbuster which you can purchase yourself for the low low cost of 70 US dollars. 

I think it's less him playing it and more that he's holding the controller like he's trying to show someone, almost like he's presenting it,

or else it would look like this

6QK79xl.jpg

I wager that almost nobody on this entire website actually knows Jim Ryan but just reads about what he allegedly does or says, at times. Aka, a lot of people dislike the highlight reel they've been presented but can't form an actual opinion because they never even met the guy, nor will they ever.

Some people seem to think that a single person completely makes all decisions in an international company employing thousands upon thousands of employees, lol. They then take out their fan-passion (which is often complimented nicely with a well-seasoned side of entitlement) on that person, who laughs his way all the way to the bank.

Wonder if this thread will turn into as much of a shitshow that gets nuked by the mods as the last Jim Ryan thread...

Anyway, I don't particularly like Jim Ryan myself, based purely on some of his "takes" and opinions. I'm sure we're all familiar with the "who the hell wants to play old games?" line, to give one example of many. But I don't know or care enough about Jimbo to have a strong opinion on him either way.

I think he just happens to be the person that many will pin a lot of their grievances with Sony in general on. It happens all the time, people like some tangible, physical thing to blame and/or associate their frustrations on, which more often than not happens to be people, because it's fun hating on other people and picking apart all the ways they're "wrong", right? Helps boost that fragile self esteem of ours just a little, and we've all been guilty of it now and then.

I'm sure many of you are familiar with a few faces that have appeared in memes or thumbnails for questionable youtube videos over the years, but you have no idea who those people actually even are (there's like a collection of around 3 photos often associated with "SJWs" that they've been re-using for like a decade now, for example). Jim Ryan is basically one of those faces that get associated with "Sony bad".

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Undead Wolf said:

lQWnVZF.png

LOL :D

Mr. Shuhei Yoshida is a gamer, that's all I know. At least he got a platinum in Bloodborne :)

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Alantor32 said:

I agree. Phil Spencer has not done some good decisions with Windows and Xbox, I gave up on Microsoft and switched to Apple Macbook since it's much better than Windows 11 or whatever version they have.

Phil Spencer has no part in decisions made for windows, he's the head of the xbox division

• Like 3

The reason I don’t like Jim Ryan is because he’s just another businessman making big bucks not only on his salary but also from those around him. 

He doesn’t care about the consumers, niche minorities like trophy hunters, the gaming audience or small time YouTube content creators. 

It’s the same reason why I hate Andrew Wilson of EA.

The modern corporate culture will nickel and dime their consumers as they have been for a number of years now. And it’s disgusting.

• Like 3

Dude has turned playstation into what microsoft was last 2 years ago.

Anti consumer practices
allowing shovelware to flood the store
multi-region and auto pops
bungling the ps5 release in terms of backwards compatibility

only thing hes doing right is starting to release all playstation exclusives on PC so I can continue playing on my PC  

Edited by PMA-Daniel
  • Like 2