Backlog by the Month Challenge 2023 (Sign-Ups Open!)

7 hours ago, grumpaluffagus_1 said:

Finished up Marvel's Avengers to start the month. It sucks that the grindiest trophies are also the glitched ones, but at least there are ways around it. Honestly a little sad that this game is ending, I enjoyed most of the 120 hours I put into it over the years. They nailed the gameplay for all of the heroes (minus spider-man) and this could have been a great game. But they never fixed most of its glaring problems and couldn't deliver most of the content that was promised at launch. Either way, it's on to the next game in the list.

Trust me, LEGO Marvel Superheroes 2 is a lot worse, there is even a glitch that makes getting one minikit impossible and requires replaying the level. (The action breaks and you can't get the minikit from the skeleton cage.) I found Avengers interesting, but that's probably because I actually saw Age of Ultron in theaters some years ago. ^_^

• Like 1

January

Immortals Fenyx Rising 64% :platinum: DLC (Not Started) 

Cat Quest (100%) :platinum:

Alex Kidd in Miracle World DX (100%)  :platinum:

inFamous: First Light (100%) :platinum:

February

Metro Exodus (73%) :platinum:

Final Fantasy XIII (100%) :platinum:

1. Diablo III: Reaper of Souls (19%)

2. Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles (4%)

3. Warhammer: Chaosbane (7%)

4. Assassin's Creed Origins (19%)

5. Vampyr (1%)

7. Monster Hunter World (71%)

8. Saints Row IV (10%)

9. Batman: Arkham City (43%) 

10. Sackboy: A Big Adventure (17%) 

11. LEGO DC Super-Villains (Not Started) 

12. Super Time Force Ultra (28%) 

13. Uncharted 2: Among Thieves Remastered (4%) 

14. Fallout 3 (4%) 

15. Trine 4: The Nightmare Prince (20%) 

16. Scarlet Nexus (24%) 

17. Assassin's Creed II (24%)

Adding Assassin's Creed II to my list. Adding more games than I'm knocking off now but the year is still early so we will see how it turns out in the end 

• Like 4

16 hours ago, grumpaluffagus_1 said:

Finished up Marvel's Avengers to start the month. It sucks that the grindiest trophies are also the glitched ones, but at least there are ways around it. Honestly a little sad that this game is ending, I enjoyed most of the 120 hours I put into it over the years. They nailed the gameplay for all of the heroes (minus spider-man) and this could have been a great game. But they never fixed most of its glaring problems and couldn't deliver most of the content that was promised at launch. Either way, it's on to the next game in the list.

Congratulations on finishing such a long grind. I’ve been tempted to start this now that the ps4 version has been patched, but I’ve heard so many bad things about the multiplayer grind.

On the other hand I like The Avengers, it can’t be that bad to play right? 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Hurricane_Tanya said:

Congratulations on finishing such a long grind. I’ve been tempted to start this now that the ps4 version has been patched, but I’ve heard so many bad things about the multiplayer grind.

On the other hand I like The Avengers, it can’t be that bad to play right? 

I have never any idea that there was a multiplayer grind. I think the only multiplayer trophy for the Marvel Collection was the one in LEGO Marvel Superheroes 2 where you have to do the arena mode's flag race or something to get the Grandmaster's Greeting trophy but you don't have to be in multiplayer for that as the game just gives you a bot. ^_^

Also, to Hitman_Spinsky1, get on LEGO DC Super Villains soon. I just completed Level 2 and really enjoyed the whole thing about my custom character being part of the story. Custom characters were never used as part of the story before, and I like this. ^_^

• Like 1

Just finished up Toem! 2 games down for March. I wasn't planning to beat the whole game in 1 sitting - but I absolutely loved the gameplay. It was a much-needed change from the grueling Outlast insane runs I've recently been attempting.

Adding in Farming Simulator 19 (PS4) to keep the list at 9. 

• Like 3

Finished Vertigo last night, great story especially as a huge Hitchcock fan. The voice acting is a little bit iffy, but overall an enjoyable game.

Stalled in my progress with Escape Academy because I don't have a 2nd PS5 controller to do the co-op trophies so i'll leave that one in a state of limbo for now and come back to it.

I'm going to add The Pedestrian (0%) and Pinball Heroes (0%) to my backlog as they will both be perfect to play on remote play in my lunch break.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Taruta13 said:

I have never any idea that there was a multiplayer grind. I think the only multiplayer trophy for the Marvel Collection was the one in LEGO Marvel Superheroes 2 where you have to do the arena mode's flag race or something to get the Grandmaster's Greeting trophy but you don't have to be in multiplayer for that as the game just gives you a bot. ^_^

I thought we were talking about Marvel’s The Avengers, not Lego Avengers…whoops.

Although I did just buy that whole Lego Marvel collection so I should start that too at some point. I’ve seen you mention how bad one of the Superheroes games is, I’ll keep that in mind before I play ? 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Hurricane_Tanya said:

I thought we were talking about Marvel’s The Avengers, not Lego Avengers…whoops.

Although I did just buy that whole Lego Marvel collection so I should start that too at some point. I’ve seen you mention how bad one of the Superheroes games is, I’ll keep that in mind before I play 1f60a.png 

Oh, you were talking about Square-Enix's biggest mistake ever. xD

Sorry, I apologize, when I heard The Avengers, I assumed it was the LEGO version, I have too much LEGO on the brain now going through DC Super Villains. Ignore me. :S

• Like 2

22 hours ago, KillerUni12 said:

Just finished up Toem! 2 games down for March. I wasn't planning to beat the whole game in 1 sitting - but I absolutely loved the gameplay. It was a much-needed change from the grueling Outlast insane runs I've recently been attempting.

Adding in Farming Simulator 19 (PS4) to keep the list at 9. 

Also adding Outlast: Whistleblower (DLC) to my list, currently at 0%. Finished my insane run on the base game and I'm excited to start the DLC!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, freddie1989 said:

So quick question re DLC. I finished the plat on Far Cry 6 a while ago but only just got the season pass. Is this eligible to add to my list as I haven't started it?

From my understanding, yes! You just can't "double dip" on points, ex. you get points for the base game completion OR for the 100% but not both. (And if future DLC were to be added, your points wouldn't be affected at all). Ironically, I just added and completed a DLC (see below lol). So I really hope I'm understanding the rules correctly! 

16 hours ago, KillerUni12 said:

Also adding Outlast: Whistleblower (DLC) to my list, currently at 0%. Finished my insane run on the base game and I'm excited to start the DLC!

Wrapped up Whistleblower. 6.5 points now and blowing my initial March goals out of the water.

Holy shit that was an intense DLC. My jaw dropped during some of the parts with the Groom - I don't think I've ever been so shocked by a video game. I loved realizing at the end that events were concurrent with the main game. Seeing the burning church, Trager, and going back through the administration block before escaping gave a sense of closure and made the ending extremely satisfying (especially after how the base game ended, not a bad ending - just a frustrating one!).

• Like 3

I am not going to continue with this event. I am already cannibalizing my list and while I add more, I usually put large chunks of stuff in each month and run out of titles, and I would like to try to work on other games. I did finish Wild ARMs for March and I do intend to finish LEGO DC Superheroes for March too, but I will probably not be able to keep my promise to platinum Hogwarts Legacy this month as I am going to start playing it on the 20th, about two weeks down the line, and knowing my probability to procrastinate, I might not get it down in time. Yes, I could move it to April, but I don't feel like continuing here. I'm already in a few events - Spring Backlog 2023 and the new Kaleidoscope event - so I want to pace myself. Also, I intend to play and plat four really sticky games in the future, all with frustrating DLC, so that's getting added to my backlog.

So I would like to be removed from the participation list for this event. Maybe I can try again in 2024. Good luck to everyone. (Yes, jumping ship two months in the event is a bit of a cop-out but I'm 50 now and tend to not game as much as I used to, usually getting too tired to play games in the morning. :()

• Like 2

22 hours ago, freddie1989 said:

So quick question re DLC. I finished the plat on Far Cry 6 a while ago but only just got the season pass. Is this eligible to add to my list as I haven't started it?

18 hours ago, KillerUni12 said:

From my understanding, yes! You just can't "double dip" on points, ex. you get points for the base game completion OR for the 100% but not both. (And if future DLC were to be added, your points wouldn't be affected at all). Ironically, I just added and completed a DLC (see below lol). So I really hope I'm understanding the rules correctly! 

Wrapped up Whistleblower. 6.5 points now and blowing my initial March goals out of the water.

Holy shit that was an intense DLC. My jaw dropped during some of the parts with the Groom - I don't think I've ever been so shocked by a video game. I loved realizing at the end that events were concurrent with the main game. Seeing the burning church, Trager, and going back through the administration block before escaping gave a sense of closure and made the ending extremely satisfying (especially after how the base game ended, not a bad ending - just a frustrating one!).

That is correct! DLC that hasn't been finished can count as a 'game' during the event. But keeping with the rule of not playing the same game back to back; you cannot finish the main game and then jump right into the DLC and get 1.5 points.

I agree that it is convoluted, and if I can't get the wording right, I probably won't include it next year.

ALSO @freddie1989 welcome to the event!

7 hours ago, Taruta13 said:

-snip-

So I would like to be removed from the participation list for this event. Maybe I can try again in 2024. Good luck to everyone. (Yes, jumping ship two months in the event is a bit of a cop-out but I'm 50 now and tend to not game as much as I used to, usually getting too tired to play games in the morning. :()

I understand mate; everyone has to do what they believe is best for themselves. You are more than free to still post and chat with everyone. I hope you enjoy your vacation!

5 hours ago, ChecoMayor said:

Sooo, quick update, I forgot to add Multiversus ps5, im going to suffer again with those 500 matches with a partner. Hopefully the game doesnt die at the end of fucking season 2

Sitting through 500 matches for a second time >>, you have stronger fortitude then I do. I wish you luck.

I will update the OP in a few days, just letting everyone know I got all your posts recorded. And the competition is excellent! I really gotta get a move on to try and catch up to those in the lead.

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, BlazzingWind said:

I understand mate; everyone has to do what they believe is best for themselves. You are more than free to still post and chat with everyone. I hope you enjoy your vacation!

Thanks. I appreciate it. I will still drop in now and again. ;) And I promise I'll have a great vacation barring any serious situations. xD

• Like 1

4 hours ago, BlazzingWind said:

That is correct! DLC that hasn't been finished can count as a 'game' during the event. But keeping with the rule of not playing the same game back to back; you cannot finish the main game and then jump right into the DLC and get 1.5 points.

I agree that it is convoluted, and if I can't get the wording right, I probably won't include it next year.

ALSO @freddie1989 welcome to the event!

Thanks! All makes sense.

• Like 1

January

February

March

Assassin's Creed II (100%) :platinum:

5. Vampyr (1%)

8. Saints Row IV (10%)

14. Fallout 3 (4%) 

16. Scarlet Nexus (24%) 

First game of the month down now 

• Like 3

Finished Paper Beast. It was a fun and beautiful game but the VR really makes my head hurt. 

Dragging the tape player through the first level was quite frustrating, but other than that, it was a fun game. Even if I didn't really understand the story lol. 

Adding a few more games:

Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order (PS5)

Never Alone

Edited by KillerUni12
  • Like 3

9 hours ago, KillerUni12 said:

Finished Paper Beast. It was a fun and beautiful game but the VR really makes my head hurt. 

Dragging the tape player through the first level was quite frustrating, but other than that, it was a fun game. Even if I didn't really understand the story lol.

Yeah, I played a bit of Paper Beast and it definitely didn't seem like a game with an easy to understand story. Last I remember, there were giant numbers / letters raining from the sky, or something? It's all a bit surreal. Need to get back to it.

Anyway, finally finished Grid! God, am I glad to have that game out of the way. While any racing game that isn't a sim racer is a welcome addition to my profile, Grid is... unfortunately rather mediocre. The graphics are fine, the cars look good, but the gameplay itself is just... boring. I've never been fond of particularly realistic handling in racing games, and in Grid you're often wrestling against your own car more than you are your actual opponents in the race, who are fairly easy to outsmart. The lack of in-game music also casts a pallor over the whole thing. Overall I'd have to say this game is probably a 6 or 6.5/10 - it's not bad, but I did not find it particularly entertaining. I had originally planned to 100% it, but I think the platinum is good enough for me.

Anyway, I've also been grinding Evil Dead: The Game and have gotten up to level 33. Should be able to platinum it within a week or two, but we'll see, as it's definitely a grind from here on out. Been playing Dungeon Defenders Awakened with friends and made minor progress in it. Also starting Rainbow Billy, although I've yet to make any trophy progress in it. Going to start leaving slots open for April. Hope everyone else's trophy hunting has been going well!

Backlog Games:

Spoiler

IN PROGRESS

1. Shadow Point - 13%
  2. Evil Dead: The Game - 70%
  3. Lucky's Tale - 12%
  4. Along Together - 34%
  5. After The Fall - 45%
  6. Chromagun VR - 35%
  7. Prodeus - 43%
  8. Powerslave Exhumed - 14%
  9. The Sims 4 - 5%
  10. Serious Sam: Siberian Mayhem - 16%
  11. Fracked - 27%
  12. Mythic Ocean - 54%
  13. Rainbow Billy: The Curse of the Leviathan - 0%
  14. Dungeon Defenders Awakened - 4%
  15. Creed: Rise to Glory - 24%

FINISHED (9)

(January) Moss - 100%

(January) Serious Sam 4 - 100%

(January) Serious Sam Collection - 100%

(February) Manifold Garden - 100%

(February) Spongebob Squarepants: Battle for Bikini Bottom - 100%

(February) Stray - 100%

(February) BoxVR - 100%

(February) Cat Quest - 100%

(March) Cat Quest 2 - 100%

(March) GRID - 71%

NOT STARTED

1. Curse of the Dead Gods - 21%
  2. Pixel Ripped 1995 - 10%
  3. Megaquarium - 0%
  4. Foreclosed - 0%
  5. Forgotton Anne - 8%
  6. Groundhog Day: like father like son - 0%
  7. Hero Land - 0%
  8. Holy Potatoes! A Weapon Shop?! - 0%
  9. KeyWe - 0%
  10. Iris.Fall - 0%
  11. Time Carnage - 0%
  12. Neon City Riders - 0%
  13. Paper Beast - 3%
  14. Paradise Killer - 0%
  15. Shady Part of Me - 0%
  16. Silence - 0%
  17. Spiritfarer - 0%
  18. Subnautica - 13%
  19. Table of Tales: The Crooked Crown - 0%
  20. The Walking Dead: Saints & Sinners - 11%
  21. The Town of Light - 0%
  22. Mundaun - 0%
  23. XING: The Land Beyond - 0%
  24. Felix The reaper - 4%
  25. Falcon Age - 28%
  26. Wanderer - 0%
  27. The Walking Dead Onslaught - 0%
  28. Super Daryl Deluxe - 0%
  29. BPM: Bullets Per Minute - 0%
  30. Star Renegades - 0%
  31. Ghost of Tsushima - 1%
  32. Far Cry 6 - 3%
  33. Sniper Elite VR - 1%
  34. Return of the Obra Dinn - 0%

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Darling Baphomet said:

Anyway, finally finished Grid! God, am I glad to have that game out of the way. While any racing game that isn't a sim racer is a welcome addition to my profile, Grid is... unfortunately rather mediocre. The graphics are fine, the cars look good, but the gameplay itself is just... boring. I've never been fond of particularly realistic handling in racing games, and in Grid you're often wrestling against your own car more than you are your actual opponents in the race, who are fairly easy to outsmart. The lack of in-game music also casts a pallor over the whole thing. Overall I'd have to say this game is probably a 6 or 6.5/10 - it's not bad, but I did not find it particularly entertaining. I had originally planned to 100% it, but I think the platinum is good enough for me.

I've got Grid sitting at 14% completition but haven't added it to this challenge because of the "Around the Globe" trophy which takes the meaning of grind to another level for a racing game. How many hours would you say it took you in total?

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, jones_jr02 said:

I've got Grid sitting at 14% completition but haven't added it to this challenge because of the "Around the Globe" trophy which takes the meaning of grind to another level for a racing game. How many hours would you say it took you in total?

Uhh, well I ended up using a trick where you can get your car to auto accelerate, then I left it on on my PS4 (while in offline mode so I could keep gaming on my PS5) and just kept restarting every time I finished the track. If you go to the subforum you'll find instructions on how to get it to auto accelerate. The campaign itself is <15 hours long I'd say, but with idling it might take 1-2 weeks to rack up the miles.

• Like 2

January

February

March

Assassin's Creed II (100%) :platinum:

5. Vampyr (1%)

8. Saints Row IV (10%)

14. Fallout 3 (4%) 

16. Scarlet Nexus (24%) 

Adding another game because that's what I do lol 

• Like 2

Small update

FInished Danger Zone before it leaves PS Plus Extra. A game that doesn't take itself too seriously but is quite fun. The platinum medal targets aren't overly tough so a fairly straight forward 100%

Also finished off Pinball Heroes which took me back to my childhood as I owned the game on the PSP before giving my PSP and games to my nephew when I got a Vita.

Currently working through The Vanishing of Ethan Carter so my efforts to really plough on with my backlog in March is continuing.

I've got dozens more I could add to my list but i'll hold off for now while I focus on whats on it already.

• Like 3