Backlog by the Month Challenge 2023 (Sign-Ups Open!)

1 hour ago, Taruta13 said:

“You will do foolish things, but do them with enthusiasm.” - Colette xD

You did the right thing. I've played Knack before and did not enjoy having to play the story 238 times just to get all of the crystals because you can't respawn chests. Also, I heard horror stories about Fallout 76 so you probably were better off not playing that. :P

? I will probably play Fallout 76 at some point because I’m a huge fallout fan, but I don’t want to rush through it since it’s such a long game.

I feel bad for Knack, I was recommended it last year and I just keep putting it off. There are just too many other games I want to play first. It sounds like an awful grind though

Finished Bugsnax! Happy April everybody! 

Removing:

Malicious - I started this game before I really cared about completing games and haven't been able to get into it. I was finally able to finish the story (on easy lol) but putting this back on the back-burner. One day I'll put the time in to git gud and get those S-ranks. 

Adding:

- Hitman (PS4)

- Assassin's Creed: Freedom Cry (PS4)

- When Vikings Attack

• Like 3

Happy April everyone!

I am working on the leaderboard as I type this (I know it is late >>), and you guys have blown it out of the water this month!

This post is to clarify some of the questions I have seen about April/August:

For April/August you can add ANY game no matter the completion percentage to your list. Provided you have not completed a game of the same name within the past two months. And provided you do not go above 50 uncompleted games on your backlog list.

The 'only three games above 33%' rule, is for when you first join the event.

And yes, you can add games that you completed in earlier to your list, but they cannot be used for points until 2 months have passed. So for this example, if you completed Elden Ring (PS5) in January but wanted to play Elden Ring (PS4) you would need to complete it no earlier than April. So whatever month you completed the original game + two months = you are free to use the game/dlc again for points.

Edited by BlazzingWind
  • Like 3

January

Immortals Fenyx Rising (64%) :platinum: DLC (Not Started) 

Cat Quest (100%) :platinum:

Alex Kidd in Miracle World DX (100%)  :platinum:

inFamous: First Light (100%) :platinum:

February

Metro Exodus (73%) :platinum:

Final Fantasy XIII (100%) :platinum:

March

Assassin's Creed II (100%) :platinum:

1. Diablo III: Reaper of Souls (19%)

2. Warhammer: Chaosbane (7%)

3. Monster Hunter World (71%)

4. Saints Row IV (10%)

5. Batman: Arkham City (43%) 

6. Sackboy: A Big Adventure (17%) 

7. LEGO DC Super-Villains (Not Started) 

8. Uncharted 2: Among Thieves Remastered (4%) 

9. Fallout 3 (4%) 

10. Trine 4: The Nightmare Prince (20%) 

11. Scarlet Nexus (24%) 

12. Brothers: a Tale of Two Sons (Not Started)

13. Ghost of Tsushima (Not Started) 

14. STAR WARS Jedi: Fallen Order (Not Started) 

15. Assassin's Creed Brotherhood (Not Started) 

16. Need for Speed Hot Pursuit Remastered (4%) 

17. Stray (Not Started 

18. TOEM (Not Started) 

19. Fallout 76 (19%) 

20. Final Fantasy XIII-2 (Not Started) 

21. Fallout: New Vegas (7%) 

22. Marvel's Guardians of the Galaxy (96%)

23. Hot Wheels Unleashed (25%)

24. Heavenly Bodies (Not Started) 

25. Death Stranding Directors Cut (Not Started) 

26. Goosebumps The Game (Not Started) 

27. Assassin's Creed IV Black Flag (72%) 

I'll leave it at that for now. Removed a few so hopefully most of these will not still be sitting there in August but we will see. See if I add anymore with high percent before the end of April. I tend to scatter between what I feel like playing I've noticed 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, BlazzingWind said:

The Leaderboard has been updated as of 03-31!

40-platinum.png Hurricane_Tanya 6.00 Points --> @Darling Baphomet 9.00 Points

40-gold.png StraightVege 5.00 Points --> @KillerUni12 8.50 Points

40-silver.png Darling Baphomet 5.00 Points --> @Hurricane_Tanya 7.50 Points

40-bronze.png KillerUni12 4.50 Points --> @StraightVege 7.00 Points

A large change in the top 4 at the end of the 3rd month: Hurricane_Tanya and Darling Baphomet swapped places as did KillerUni12 and StraightVege!

With it being the first of the wildcard months, where the percentage rule goes out the window, there is still plenty of time to climb up the leaderboard!

But as a whole, WOW everyone - March led to some rather large gains in point totals across the board.

We have two new members to the Caravan as we progress through this year!

Wes-709: I hope you enjoy your time with us and are able to complete the games you want to this year. Please do be aware that you need at least 1 game per month of the event. With it being April - you need 9 games total, and you have 6 on you list so far.

Dinkus83 - Welcome back to the event! Glad to see ya again as we continue to try and complete the monsters that are our backlogs. Your list has some really good games in it, and I am entirely jealous of 3D Dot Game Heroes...I can't find the game for less than about $50 -_-'

@Crancian How did you like Scarlet Nexus? I am sorry if I missed a post, but just reminding you that with it being April, you need 9 games on your list. I have 7 recorded :)

See ya all again for the next update!

Not wanting to kick off a fuss as its just a friendly competition but I believe I have 7.50 points and in 4th place. Not a big problem though :)

Just going through my backlog as I have 3 or 4 games to remove and going to round my list out with more games as I have a few over 33% that i've been waiting for the comfirmation about how many we can have to add.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, jones_jr02 said:

Not wanting to kick off a fuss as its just a friendly competition but I believe I have 7.50 points and in 4th place. Not a big problem though :)

Just going through my backlog as I have 3 or 4 games to remove and going to round my list out with more games as I have a few over 33% that i've been waiting for the comfirmation about how many we can have to add.

Thank you for pointing out the mistake, I really appreciate it!

This is a friendly competition, yes. But all good competitions need to be accurate as well.

As for the games you are mentioning, hopefully my earlier post this morning helped but in April/August the rule of only being able to have 3 games higher than the 33% at sign up doesn't apply anymore. April/August are WildCard months where you can add any percent games to your backlog list, doesn't matter if they are 98%, it is fair game. This ONLY applies to April/August. Once we are into May, the rule comes back that games added have to be 33% or less complete to be added to your backlog list.

• Like 2

Adding to my list:

FIFA 18

Vacation Simulator (DLC only)

Stray

Skylanders Giants

Minecraft: Story Mode (inc. DLC)

Angry Birds VR: Isle Of Pigs

Leo's Fortune

Beyond: Two Souls

Another World

HEAVY RAIN

King Oddball

TOKYO JUNGLE

Skylanders Swap Force

The Deadly Tower of Monsters

From Dust

I AM ALIVE

• Like 3

January

February

March

April

4. Saints Row IV (10%)

9. Fallout 3 (4%) 

11. Scarlet Nexus (24%) 

17. Stray (Not Started 

18. TOEM (Not Started) 

19. Fallout 76 (19%) 

22. Hot Wheels Unleashed (25%)

23. Heavenly Bodies (Not Started) 

24. Death Stranding Directors Cut (Not Started) 

25. Goosebumps The Game (Not Started) 

26. Assassin's Creed IV Black Flag (72%) 

27. Crash Bandicoot 4: It's About Time (32%)

28. inFamous: Festival of Blood (57%)

29. Red Dead Redemption 2 (8%) 

30. Rise of the Tomb Raider (80%) 

31. The Sims 4 (94%) 

Added a few more and finished Guardians of the galaxy. I will probably pick up something not on my list like usual though lol but I think I covered my top backlog that I want done

• Like 1

15 hours ago, BlazzingWind said:

Dinkus83 - Welcome back to the event! Glad to see ya again as we continue to try and complete the monsters that are our backlogs. Your list has some really good games in it, and I am entirely jealous of 3D Dot Game Heroes...I can't find the game for less than about $50 -_-'

Thanks! So glad that you brought it back this year! I didn't realize 3D Dot Game Heroes had become one of those hard to find games :( It's one that I grabbed when it was fairly new, got sidetracked partway through, and just haven't gotten back to it. (So many games to play, and so little time!) This is definitely the year though; gotta finish that one for sure before the PS3 gives up someday :lol:

On another note, you do have me at 1 point on the leaderboard, which is correct for March. But, in my game list you have The Town of Light listed for March also, and I didn't get to that one done til April. Doesn't matter really, just so there's no confusion later. Thanks again for the event and keeping it up to date :)

Edit: Spirit of the North should be in between the two listed as complete too (but that was also April, so I wasn't expecting to see it).

Edited by Dinkus83

January

February

March

April

4. Saints Row IV (10%)

9. Fallout 3 (4%) 

11. Scarlet Nexus (24%) 

17. Stray (Not Started 

18. TOEM (Not Started) 

19. Fallout 76 (19%) 

22. Hot Wheels Unleashed (25%)

23. Heavenly Bodies (Not Started) 

24. Death Stranding Directors Cut (Not Started) 

25. Goosebumps The Game (Not Started) 

26. Assassin's Creed IV Black Flag (72%) 

27. Crash Bandicoot 4: It's About Time (32%)

28. Red Dead Redemption 2 (8%) 

29. Rise of the Tomb Raider (80%) 

30. The Sims 4 (94%) 

Two in one day and now finally done with the whole inFamous series. Was definitely the worst one in the collection and the streaming service of PS Plus didn't help the matter but finally managed to hold a connection long enough to knock it out 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Darling Baphomet said:

Also finally wrapped up the platinum for Grid Legends - overall an improvement over Grid in just about every way IMO; handling is far better, the graphics look great, and the game now has a soundtrack, albeit an admittedly primitive one, and a proper story mode (a rarity in racing games) that's structured like a documentary which was a lot of fun to play through. Grid was a disappointment to me - in theory it was a solid racer, but it ultimately just had too many issues. Grid Legends is still not as good as it could be, and started to get rather dull once I graduated from the story mode to the narrationless, neverending career mode, but it's a solid, competent racing game. Hopefully they keep up with improving the formula.

Oooh, you may have just convinced me to try it out. I almost downloaded it right when I got EA play for the month, cuz I've looked at it a million times and never gave in. I ended up not, since I'm not sure I'd finish it in a month, but now I may reconsider trying.

Update time for me as well. Over the weekend, I got some good gaming time in and finished up Spirit of the North and The Town of Light. Spirit of the North is a game I wanted to play since the first time I saw it, and just hadn't gotten around to it yet. It is really pretty, and has foxes, so that's +2 in my book! It did get a bit tedious when returning to look for collectibles later. There is chapter select and the save points are frequent enough, but I'm really not a fan of watching videos while running around to collect things (I'd rather have a text guide to just occasionally glance at). But when it's a giant forest area that all looks very similar to me... I had to follow a video for that part very closely. I'm usually pretty good at random wandering and finding most collectibles on my own, but I missed a lot of them in this game.

The Town of Light is one of those games I'd started a couple years ago, got distracted mid game, and just never came back to it. I had to immediately find a walkthrough just to figure out where exactly I'd left off, and generally what I was supposed to be doing. Quite a bit came back to me while I wandered the halls to finish my initial playthrough. Not sure what to say about this one though. It is exactly what I expected. I think the story was told well, and if you do a lot of poking around you can find extra info about the living conditions there at the time and the way some things were handled in asylums back then. I returned to the guide I'd found and actually started from the beginning just to remind myself of parts of the game that were still fuzzy. But, the chapter select and story branches are very well done for people who want to see everything without playing through the whole game multiple times (or trophy hunters). Scenes that you've already watched/heard have a skip button pop up immediately, and the places where choices are made are right at the start of a chapter, so it's very quick to get to what you need.

I've also been perusing my massive backlog list to look for good candidates to add in for the super special month of April. I decided to add to my list: Concrete Genie - I finished the plat last year, but I have access to PSVR now to finish those extra trophies; Two Point Hospital - I have no idea how I never went back to finish this, but I definitely need to; and Dirt 5 + all DLC - I was working on this game for last year's list, but didn't finish.

Edit: I almost forgot, I also wanted to add Gabbuchi to my list and see if I can get through that before it leaves the Extra catalog.

The List:

Spoiler

Completed:

(March) The Pedestrian (PS5) [+1.0]

(April) Spirit of the North: Enhanced Edition [+1.0]

(April) The Town of Light [+0.5]

The List:

1. Horizon Forbidden West (PS5) - 35% => 56%
  2. Cozy Grove (PS4) - 69%
  3. Overcooked! All You Can Eat (PS5) - 17%
  4. A Plague Tale: Innocence (PS5) - 1%
  5. Chicken Police (PS4) - 8%
  6. Erica  (PS4) - 28%
  7. Lego DC Super-Villians (PS4) - 17%
  8. Cat Quest 2 (PS4) - 6%
  9. Diablo 3: Reaper of Souls (PS4) - 20%
  10. Stray (PS5) - 14%
  11. Final Fantasy X-2 HD (PS3) - 0%
  12. Okami HD (PS3) - 18%
  13. 3D Dot Game Heroes (PS3) - 14%
  14. The Undergarden (PS3) - 23%
  15. Beyond: Two Souls (PS3) - 30%
  16. Life is Strange 2 (PS4) - 0%
  17. Untitled Goose Game (PS4) - 25%
  18. The Suicide of Rachel Foster (PS4) - 0%
  19. Chicory: A Colorful Tale (PS5) - 1%
  20. PC Building Simulator (PS4) - 14% => 16%
  21. Deliver Us The Moon (PS5) - 7%
  22. Operation: Tango (PS5) - 7%
  23. My Time at Portia (PS4) - 12%
  24. hack//G.U. Last Recode (PS4) - 1%
  25. King's Quest (PS4) - 23%
  26. Lego Harry Potter Collection: Years 1-4 (PS4) - 7%
  27. Dragon Quest Builders (PS4) - 6%
  28. The Legend of Dragoon (PS5) - 0%
  29. The Quarry (PS5) - 0%
  30. The Gardens Between (PS5) - 0%
  31. Omno (PS4) - 0%
  32. 36 Fragments of Midnight (PS4) - 0% => 36%
  33. Heavenly Bodies (PS5) - 0%
  34. Child of Light (PS4) - 0%
  35. Infamous: First Light (PS4) - 0%
  36. The Wolf Among Us (PS4) - 0%
  37. Detroit: Become Human (PS4) - 0%
  38. Horizon Chase Turbo (PS4) - 26%
  39. Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII (PS3) - 7%
  40. Need for Speed Heat (PS4) - 32%
  41. It Takes Two (PS5) - 0%
  42. Concrete Genie - 95%
  43. Two Point Hospital - 88%
  44. Dirt 5 +all DLC - 40%
  45. Gabbuchi - 0%

Edited by Dinkus83
  • Like 2

34 minutes ago, BlazzingWind said:

It is funny, I went looking back through the forum to make sure I didn't miss the request to add only to find out I missed adding Return of the Obra Dinn to you list >>'. Everything should be added correctly now. Congrats on completing Grid Legends, glad to hear it sounded like a somewhat better grind than the first one. And you now have my interested in at least seeing gameplay for ChromagunVR as Portal 2 is one of my all time top games, maybe not top 10, but up there.

Honestly, I didn't even notice, I've just been focusing on editing the list in my posts and I figured you'd tell me if I fuck something up, lol.

Chromagun is decent enough, although from what I played of it Q.U.B.E. 2 is the better Portal-like puzzle game if you're looking for something like that. Still not as cool as being able to shoot portals but it's a competent game.

Finally got a completion on the board. I did enjoy the first Lego experience albeit it is a tad overboard on the collectible front due to the repetition needed to complete. Should be finished with Stray soon and I made a start on Mafia last night as well.

I won't worry about points etc until I know how it works, not to mention I don't get enough time to be competing with the elite anyway ?

April

Lego DC Super Villains 34%

Zombie Army Trilogy 0%

Call of Duty Ghosts 47%

Dishonored 2 0%

Metro 2033 Redux 1%

Doom 0%

Battlefield Hardline 24%

Dying Light 3%

Spiderman Miles Morales 0%

Stray 0% -44%

Nioh 0%

Guardians of the Galaxy 0%

Sniper Elite 3 3%

Mafia 0%

Assassins Creed Valhalla 0%

• Like 4

1 hour ago, freddie1989 said:

Finally got a completion on the board. I did enjoy the first Lego experience albeit it is a tad overboard on the collectible front due to the repetition needed to complete. Should be finished with Stray soon and I made a start on Mafia last night as well.

I won't worry about points etc until I know how it works, not to mention I don't get enough time to be competing with the elite anyway 1f602.png

April

Lego DC Super Villains 34%

Zombie Army Trilogy 0%

Call of Duty Ghosts 47%

Dishonored 2 0%

Metro 2033 Redux 1%

Doom 0%

Battlefield Hardline 24%

Dying Light 3%

Spiderman Miles Morales 0%

Stray 0% -44%

Nioh 0%

Guardians of the Galaxy 0%

Sniper Elite 3 3%

Mafia 0%

Assassins Creed Valhalla 0%

For points: the first game you complete in the month is worth 1 full point. Every game you complete within that same month afterwards is worth 0.5 points. There is no limit to how many points you earn per month - it all depends on how much you feel like gaming that month.

The base amount of points expected is 1 point for each month from the time you joined the event until December of this year. 

If you miss a month and don't complete a game from your list, it is minus 1 point. But you cannot go negative.

If you have 3 consecutive misses without reaching out to myself or KillerUni12 - just letting us know you haven't abandoned ths event (life happens). You will be removed from the leaderboard.

At the end of the year, your total points is calculated by the (total # of games completed) - (total # of games left on backlog list x 0.1).

But basically the points are just for fun. Yes there are prizes for the top point earners (wouldn't be a competition without some) but I think the best prize is shrinking down our backlogs lol.

But on topic: Congrats on your first beaten game :D

LEGO games tend to boil down to repetitive collect-a-thons. What tends to make some better than others is  what franchise you are playing. For example: I had a blast with Lego Harry Potter and was praying for the end when playing Lego Pirates of the Caribbean.

Still find the games charming though.

• Like 3

16 hours ago, BlazzingWind said:

Congrats on finishing The Outer Worlds - that has always looked like such a fun game. Especially when I heard you could get a certain ending by making your character 'dumb'. And a 2D Bloodborne...hmmm think I know what I will be looking up after work tonight :D

Thanks, it was! Oh yeah, the dumb dialogue options are just delightful, and the cool thing is that there are various ways to temporarily induce them, even on an intelligent character. You can inject a ton of drugs (Adrena-Time specifically), or concuss yourself by walking into land mines, haha. This allows you to trigger the joke ending during your main playthrough, but be sure to make a save first! "I know numbers real good."

Yep, I hope Skautfold is decent; I've been disappointed by indie Soulslikes several times in the past, though.

• Like 2

I platinumed The DioField Chronicle today, it was a fun hidden gem with a decent story and characters. Took about 40 hours and wasn't that big of a grind.

As for my list of removals and additions for April:

Remove:
God of War
Yakuza Kiwami 2

Ghost of Tsushima

Yakuza Kiwami

Add:

Trials of Mana

Kingdom Hearts 0.2 Birth by Sleep -A fragmentary passage
Forspoken
Persona 3 Portable
DC's Justice League: Cosmic Chaos

Edited by EriksBlue
spelling error
  • Like 3

Wrapped up Hitman bringing me to 10 points on the year. 

I started this game in December and then held off on completing it so I could use it for this challenge. I loved this game and it's been cool to watch it evolve - especially after playing Silent Assassin and Contracts earlier this year. Though I definitely did not enjoy the firefight needed to kill the Bangkok targets with coconuts. (For those unfamiliar with this trophy, basically every guard in the level rushes you. According to the scoring penalties, I killed 56 guards. It was probably 20-30 minutes of hiding behind a door and picking them off). 

Work has been super busy this past week, so I'm hoping to have some time to game this weekend and make some more progress on my list.

• Like 2