Future of PS3 Online Service?

mcpetrus

Just now, DaivRules said:

Sorry, I missed any implication of humor in your post. 

would it even be possible,to get something to be able to read all the discs.maybe some clever person could figure it out     but thats not me     lol

2 minutes ago, darthadi said:

would it even be possible,to get something to be able to read all the discs.maybe some clever person could figure it out     but thats not me     lol

Yes, it’s theoretically possible, but short of new hardware designed by Sony, it’ll be pretty janky and full of problems. Not to say Sonys solution wouldn’t also have its share of jank and problems.

Realistically, there are still millions and millions of PS3s out there and the cheapest, best solution is just to have one on hand if you want the best shot of playing PS3 titles for as long as possible. 

12 hours ago, darthadi said:

It seems people forgetting that SONY already had done THIS before with a New Console.

The Playstation 3 Launch Edition could play all PS1 & PS2 Games with a simple Trick. They just have had an entire PS2 hardware build on the PS3 on Top.

This and the overheating with two processors (Emotion Engine PS2 and Cell Processor PS3) was also highly the Fact that many Consoles died on a YLOD. (Mine too :( )

Anyway its more than just theoretically possible and with modern cooling Technics it would not be overheating again.

They just need to reproduce the PS2 and PS3 Hardware architektur. PS4 & PS5 share the same and hope likely do the PS6.

But Sony is lazy and we will not see something anytime soon...

33 minutes ago, Meikoro said:

It seems people forgetting that SONY already had done THIS before with a New Console.

The Playstation 3 Launch Edition could play all PS1 & PS2 Games with a simple Trick. They just have had an entire PS2 hardware build on the PS3 on Top.

This and the overheating with two processors (Emotion Engine PS2 and Cell Processor PS3) was also highly the Fact that many Consoles died on a YLOD. (Mine too :( )

Anyway its more than just theoretically possible and with modern cooling Technics it would not be overheating again.

They just need to reproduce the PS2 and PS3 Hardware architektur. PS4 & PS5 share the same and hope likely do the PS6.

The $599 PS3 had the Emotion Engine chip with 95%+ compatibility for PS2 and PS1, but the $499 only had software emulation and closer to 80% compatibility with PS2 and PS1 titles. And they had to do that because the feedback from developers was that the Cell was such a pain in the ass with how different it was to develop for, Sony was afraid there would next to nothing to actually play on their console for at least the first 6 months yo a year after release. 

IBM designed the Cell with Sony and the final production after several shrinking revisions is considered monstrous compared to any modern chip manufacturing. There is no way to take that final chip as last produced and just throw it into a PS5, it would take a significant amount of license negotiation, tons and tons of engineering and testing to see if they can produce a version with modern manufacturing specs and then find someone who could make such an odd-ball chip at the low runs they’d need. All for a couple thousand people to sporadically use something Sony would have to pass on the cost to millions who will never use it. It’s just a bad business plan.

As I have said, selling it as an external add-on box for the PS5 so only those who want the functionality and charge those users what it’ll probably cost for the low run (maybe $400), is the only reasonable way to approach it. 

On 1/22/2023 at 2:39 PM, dlbbRogueTrader said:

Sure.

The point I'm making is that Sony sees the PSN as a unified platform for their ecosystem. As for the backend, as technology evolves the hardware that supports PS3 will transition to something similar to that of the  PS4 / PS5. 

Unlikely. Sony already tried to shut down ps3 store services, so it's really just a matter of time

I still see the PS3 being online for a good few years but as we're seeing more and more games are now getting their online services shutdown, so I would say things are winding down now, but I do not see them shutting down access to our downloads at the very least now as for syncing trophies who knows but surely if we have to sign in for our downloads then they would not stop us from doing that speculation I guess who knows.

Edit: not related to this topic, but is it just me that peoples signatures across the site are broken and has been for some time.

Edited by TheRetroManiac

51 minutes ago, DaivRules said:

The $599 PS3 had the Emotion Engine chip with 95%+ compatibility for PS2 and PS1, but the $499 only had software emulation and closer to 80% compatibility with PS2 and PS1 titles. And they had to do that because the feedback from developers was that the Cell was such a pain in the ass with how different it was to develop for, Sony was afraid there would next to nothing to actually play on their console for at least the first 6 months yo a year after release. 

IBM designed the Cell with Sony and the final production after several shrinking revisions is considered monstrous compared to any modern chip manufacturing. There is no way to take that final chip as last produced and just throw it into a PS5, it would take a significant amount of license negotiation, tons and tons of engineering and testing to see if they can produce a version with modern manufacturing specs and then find someone who could make such an odd-ball chip at the low runs they’d need. All for a couple thousand people to sporadically use something Sony would have to pass on the cost to millions who will never use it. It’s just a bad business plan.

As I have said, selling it as an external add-on box for the PS5 so only those who want the functionality and charge those users what it’ll probably cost for the low run (maybe $400), is the only reasonable way to approach it. 

yeah, i was just saying its possible and they already did it. That the PS3 was hard for devlopment is no secret anymore.

They could do a Add-on Box like you suggest or with a Emulation Service like a Ultimate PS+ Category. Well if the Emulation would play normal Disc. Digital Copys we already have at least a few in the Store. While Sony keep on do patents for getting old software running again, we have not see anything yet or soon im thinking.

On 05/04/2023 at 11:33 AM, DaivRules said:

Yes, it’s theoretically possible, but short of new hardware designed by Sony, it’ll be pretty janky and full of problems. Not to say Sonys solution wouldn’t also have its share of jank and problems.

Realistically, there are still millions and millions of PS3s out there and the cheapest, best solution is just to have one on hand if you want the best shot of playing PS3 titles for as long as possible. 

still have 60g and a slim so i'll be ok for a while

On 06/04/2023 at 0:18 AM, Meikoro said:

yea kind of annoying 1st ps3 plays ps2 games,and ps5 plays ps4 games but ps4 doesnt play ps3 games

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Ok so I was playing super streetfighter 4 at home ..had to drive 100s of miles to go see family for emergency took the game down to moms house continued playing make some progress upload to online cloud since I have ps plus ...get back home look at the cloud it's still on the same save as before I left ...what am I doing wrong or missing here?

On 21/5/2023 at 4:14 PM, Puppeter04 said:

I played COD 3 online on PS2 like 3 years ago, that's it, do with this information whatever you want when it comes to the PS3 discussion. 

But the PS2 didn't use PSN, have you played on a custom server? (the whole PS2 network, which, again, was NOT PSN but something older, was shut down years ago)

Edited by Lance_87

On 21/05/2023 at 3:05 PM, Spookyentertainm said:

Ok so I was playing super streetfighter 4 at home ..had to drive 100s of miles to go see family for emergency took the game down to moms house continued playing make some progress upload to online cloud since I have ps plus ...get back home look at the cloud it's still on the same save as before I left ...what am I doing wrong or missing here?

I had the cloud delete all my PS3 saves, only noticed a few months ago

• 8 months later...

I know this is probably off-topic, but is there a list somewhere containing every PS3/PS4/Vita games with decommissioned online support? I really hate starting to play a game, only to find out I can't obtain the platinum trophy due to server shutdown (e.g. The Lord of the Rings: Conquest).

1 minute ago, McDuda2008 said:

I know this is probably off-topic, but is there a list somewhere containing every PS3/PS4/Vita games with decommissioned online support? I really hate starting to play a game, only to find out I can't obtain the platinum trophy due to server shutdown (e.g. The Lord of the Rings: Conquest).

8 hours ago, McDuda2008 said:

In addition to the above suggestion, you might want to use PSNP+ script, created by HusKy:

It's usable both on desktop PCs and on phones too (Might need a special browser that allow for extensions). One of it's main features is trophy list with unobtainable trophies being marked with a !, very helpful to quickly find if a trophy list with online trophies is fully obtainable or not, among other things.

Edited by Otonio_Bruno
  • Like 2