Impossible mode?

dougrayman

16 minutes ago, ZankaiPowaa said:

My tip for impossible: ripper everything :)

Died a bunch of times, but quitting to the main menu worked every time.

Nah...fully upgraded plasma cutter is the way to go

1 hour ago, TemplePilot said:

I did this but when I was going through the options to do so, you can actually just toggle the updating of apps and leave it connected to the net.  That way you can still see your friends or play online games without having to toggle the internet on and off just for Dead Space.

I did the same as you

• Like 1

On 2/5/2023 at 1:58 PM, Optinooby said:

Ok, so I just finished up my newest Impossible/Hard run and you CANNOT lower difficulty beyond Hard if you still want the Untouchable trophy!

Not sure why someone said they popped it on Medium, that was either a typo, misunderstanding by the player, a troll or there is a way to do it that requires a very specific set of actions, that im not prepared to look into further myself, boring boss fight

What I tested, I tried popping Untouchable on Story, Easy, Medium & Hard. Basically I worked my way up, but I played about with a few other variables on Story first, like triggering an Autosave or closing the app in case anything is tied to the automatic save load (opening the game automatically loads in a save file).

After all that, as soon as I switch back to Hard, the trophy popped straight away once I finished it.

Also, although it pops Untouchable, unfortunately the save is recognised as Hard in terms of NG+ so you don't get the Impossible rewards from it. You also CAN'T NG+ Impossible from this, only Hard and below.

Some further info is I died by mistake on maybe Chapter 5 I think it was and so had to drop it to Hard or lose my save. I then left it on Hard until the end boss which is where I started playing about with difficulties.

Another also is that there are now 13 stomp boxes in the final boss area, Im sure they won't there before 1.04, or my game just glitched.

Personally, I think the glitch is not worth using intentionally as all it does is pretty much is a failsafe in cade you don't quit the game on time. If you have no choice to either use the glitch or lose your save, then sure that makes sense but if you intentionally use the glitch, then you're missing out on the Hand Cannon!!

My preferred Platinum Roadmap is still NG Impossible Plasma Cutter 100% and then a NG+ Story speedrun with the Marker collectibles using the Hand Cannon. 

The glitch would have been perfect for players wanting it if you could play on Story AND get Impossible rewards. Its a waste like this though, its more meaningful to just pause and quit if you're going to die.

I must be lucky i died on lvl 1 Lowered it from hard to medium played to the end and got Untouchable i’m on patch 1.04

I played off line to the end of the run.

• Like 2

Anybody else go with Plasma Cutter only for their Impossible run? It was so trusty to me that I used it exclusively throughout all three playthroughs, sans some bits during the NG+ Medium playthrough when I needed the other weapon-related trophies.

Edited by Creasy007

Yeah the plasma cutter has always been a very good weapon when you upgrade the node tree. I just think it's kinda boring to use it all the time. It's very iconic but that's kind of it to me.

I got a gun that strips the flesh off everything in front of it and sends them flying (the Force Gun)

I got a gun that is basically Powerwash Simulator with nuclear option alt-fire (contact beam)

I got a gun that shoots saw blades- okay this one isn't really my thing but my friends all love it. (Ripper)

Like, I *want* to use those guns. The One Gun trophy was annoying in that sense.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lennie_Briscoe said:

I must be lucky i died on lvl 1 Lowered it from hard to medium played to the end and got Untouchable i’m on patch 1.04

I played off line to the end of the run.

Yea another variable I wanted to test but couldnt is perhaps when you first drop it from Impossible to Hard, you must drop the difficulty lower than that before any checkpoints or anything. 

I had planned to get right to the end on Impossible, and then starting messing around with the exploit due to that variable i mentioned above which felt quite a big one to me.

I had dropped it to Hard earlier in the game unfortunately because I wasnt looking as the screen when i died, I thought I paused it to look at my notes ;(

Shame because I just finished another Impossible Plasma run earlier and could have tested it then, but didnt because thought was unlikely.

Now you have said this though, I may do another Impossible Plasma before the week is out and if I do, I will test the exploit at the end

Edited by Optinooby
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Creasy007 said:

Anybody else go with Plasma Cutter only for their Impossible run? It was so trusty to me that I used it exclusively throughout all three playthroughs, sans some bits during the NG+ Medium playthrough when I needed the other weapon-related trophies.

I completed Impossible and Plasma Cutter only in the same run, it's still a really strong and reliable weapon but it got nerfed quite a bit compared to it's original iteration. Investing exclusively in the PC during the first half of the game is the best thing to do considering that you can max it's damage pretty quickly, but the best weapons in the game are the Contact Beam and Force Gun. I used only those two during my second Impossible run in NG+ and let me tell you, they are completely broken.

Here's a little demonstration:

• Like 2

I'm on my 4th play through I would definitely say the Plasma cutter is the all round best weapon. I did Impossible with it and just the basic flame thrower for back up to get those pesky swarming little things that jump on you. 

Well I'm off next to do "Hardcore" on The Callisto Protocol as I've just seen the DLC game update incoming.

Edited by Starship_Pooper
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Starship_Pooper said:

I'm on my 4th play through I would definitely say the Plasma cutter is the all round best weapon. I did Impossible with it and just the basic flame thrower for back up to get those pesky swarming little things that jump on you. 

Well I'm off next to do "Hardcore" on The Callisto Protocol as I've just seen the DLC game update incoming.

Fun fact that I only found out towards the end of my second playthrough, a stasis blast takes care of those things too. :shakefist:

Two playthroughs, have all trophies but impossible - a little burnt out but I'll wrap up the platinum later.

Probably making it harder for myself though, I imagine the next time I touch this game it'll be patched out. ?

Edited by kingjavs

10 hours ago, kingjavs said:

Fun fact that I only found out towards the end of my second playthrough, a stasis blast takes care of those things too. :shakefist:

Has to be the upgraded stasis though that you get from the Malpractice side mission.

It also kills the Wall Guardians as well.

• Like 2

I started my Impossible playthrough yesterday. Currently chapter 4. Plasma Cutter (upgrading all the time) plus flamethrower - basic (for those little bastards). The further into the adventure, the "easier" it is. Very often, knowing that there will be a group of enemies somewhere, I collect sharp objects and fans and we start ... in fact, objects are often my main line of defense. Of course, I also improve the armor, but I don't know if it's worth it? Isn't it better to save Power Nodes for improving future weapons? We can always reset power-ups, so there will almost certainly be a Force Gun and Contact Beam of course. I will also complete the side mission to get the Prototype Stasis Module. I let go of the rest of the weapons. 

It's easy to get ambushed by monsters, but reacting quickly enough and reloading the game does the trick. I admit that I play very slowly and the most visited place is the game save point. If you often return to the previous save point, you need to remember that new monsters can appear...

Some people write that this level of difficulty is too easy, for me it is well balanced. I don't like torturing myself.

Edited by Kessarath

Pretty much all the guns are viable choices depending how you use them on impossible.  I personally used the plasma cutter, flamethrower, pulse rifle and force gun on my run.  The plasma cutter is the go to all around weapon that is used most of the time for single enemies or things that are far away so it needs to be upgraded first.  I tried the ripper but the damage is not good enough without some serious power node investment on impossible; however it does stunlock very effectively and is very efficient when you upgrade the damage.  I had the same issue with the line gun.  It feels like a slow, gimped plasma cutter unless you want to cheese with the laser on some object you can telekinesis grab.

I used the pulse rifle for the mine and only upgraded it for damage and mine specific upgrades.  It is a great burst damage tool and can get you through a lot of the more challenging fights early in the game.  You can set mines down when you know enemies will cross that path ahead of time similar to the detonator in dead space 2.

I also used the flamethrower.. which is kind of strange on paper but the gun was insanely buffed in the remake.  The fire wall secondary fire is absolutely incredible.  It burns for an extremely long time with upgrades, stunlocks almost every enemy in the game, does enormous damage and melts flesh for easy dismemberment with the plasma cutter.  It pairs super well with the force gun's gravity well which incidentally was the only reason I had the force gun in my loadout for impossible.  The primary flamethrower fire is also great for small enemies and makes it super easy to hit the stasis pack on the chest of the fast necromorphs later in the game.  You don't really have to aim at all.. just spray em and it always triggers the stasis.

I kept the contact beam around the mid game just for killing brutes because it can 2 shot them on impossible with the secondary fire charged up and saves a lot of ammo with other weapons.  Contact beam does not need to be upgraded at all either to do that so I recommend stashing it until you are going to need it for a brute fight.

I also highly suggest using telekinesis for the pipes and objects that have that blue ring on them since when you spear necromorphs with those.. its always a one shot and makes chapter 2 on impossible a lot easier.  Your guns suck that early on so you want to try to save resources when you can.

• Like 2

Outside of the pipes, spears, upgraded stasis etc most experienced players know about before going into a Impossible Plasma Only run, killing enemies with a horizontal plasma to the head actually kills really quick.

Those armored standard enemies that you cant shoot their legs off, aim the Plasma at their head horizontally with the head in the middle of the reticle and it actually kills them really quick, sometimes feels quicker than picking off limbs as you're not switching your aim to different limbs.

Im not sure why it works so well, maybe the head region takes more damage and couple that with the fact it sometimes lines up 3 limbs into 1 shot (arm/head/arm), just works really well.

its not something you would initially think would work, but its a great tip for Impossible Plasmas, recommend trying it out, surprisingly effective ;)

Edited by Optinooby

Just got impossible difficulty trophy by continuing on hard. the glitch works flawlessly. can save on multiple slots & no issues.
make sure you turn off all the auto-updates on your ps5 to save yourself getting this patched out. Cheers!
Now i can enjoy the game on new game plus & 1 PT time has been saved.

• Like 4

Just got the Untouchable trophy.

It was my 3d playthrough. I didn’t change difficulty. Played without hurry - it took 9 hours.
It was piece of cake: saved every 5 minutes, if I played not well, I loaded last safe.

Died a few times - used pause and load - worked every time.

At the end of the game I had 235k, 10 large med packs, fully upgraded plasma cutter, force gun and suit. Ammo was enough. During the playthrough I didn’t buy them.

The game is great made - didn’t get any bugs.

For the Impossible Run, don't underestimate the Pulse Rifle's grenade launcher alt-fire. R1 to delete a slasher with a direct hit. (The later upgraded necros can withstand a direct hit (like 75% of the time), but are very squishy if they survive. Like all limbs are one shot.) The primary fire is pretty awful on Hard/Impossible.

Also you can use it extremely up-close too. A direct hit about like 2 feet away will do minimal damage to you. Like not even one bar of health.

It's not necessary to use but just... it's not as useless as it seems on first glance.

edit: mainly worth mentioning because it's the first gun you get after the plasma cutter, at a time when your plasma cutter probably isn't upgraded yet.

Edited by h4mx0r
  • Like 1

Glitch / Exploit for Impossible (Works as of Patch 1.04, February 10, 2023): As of Patch 1.04, when you die on an Impossible save file, your save will be reverted to Hard and you can continue.

It's been tested that you on this save file specifically you can choose to lower the difficulty to medium on Chapter 1 where then once you complete the game on this save file, Untouchable :gold: will unlock (as long as you revert back to hard before the final boss fight).

This means you can complete the game without worry of the save file being deleted. It is currently unknown whether you can lower the difficulty further below medium after dying on Chapter 1. This method is 99 percent likely not getting patched out in the future as Motive studios has moved onto their Iron Man game.

Edited by UKW5
Typo errors fixed. Clarity added
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, UKW5 said:

Glitch / Exploit for Impossible (Works as of Patch 1.04, February 10, 2023): As of Patch 1.04, when you die on an Impossible save file, your save will be reverted to Hard and you can continue.

It's been tested that you on this save file specifically you can choose to lower the difficulty to medium on Chapter 1 where then once you complete the game on this save file, Untouchable :gold: will unlock (as long as you revert back to hard before the final boss fight).

This means you can complete the game without worry of the save file being deleted. It is currently unknown whether you can lower the difficulty further below medium after dying on Chapter 1. This method is 99 percent likely not getting patched out in the future as Motive studios has moved onto their Iron Man game.

Great!  I hope someone else can confirm this as if there’s a few more then more people will feel safe doing it that way!

7 hours ago, UKW5 said:

If this is true, then I think the important detail here is not Chapter 1, but that the difficulty must be dropped lower than hard BEFORE you reach a new checkpoint / save.

Its what I didn't test before as I couldnt, but im going through Impossible Plasma Cutter on 2 accounts back to back, halfway through now, so once I get to the end I will test it. To check if its Chapter 1 exclusive or that must be done before the next checkpoint.

For example, what if we die in Chapter 1, it gets changed to hard and then we carry on to another checkpoint. And THEN we change to Medium?? Still in Chapter 1, so this Chapter 1 reasoning for it wouldnt matter, but I have a feeling it wouldnt worl in this case.

Im sure those who have popped it on Medium, went from Impossible to Medium without hitting any new checkpoints or saves. So don't we know for sure.

Im just speculating here of course, but I reckon the exploit works because the game remembers the last displayed difficulty from the last checkpoint.

So when you go Impossible > Hard > Medium and then hit a checkpoint, although on Medium, the game for some reason thinks you're still on Impossible in terms of the trophy coding.

But them after that checkpoint, if you change difficulty then to Story, the game would think you are now on Medium in terms of trophies because that is what was last displayed at the recent checkpoint  / save.

This is my speculation on why the exploit occurs and it's only the trophy that tracks this way.

I will be testing tomorrow (Saturday), fingers crossed ;)

Edited by Optinooby
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Optinooby said:

If this is true, then I think the important detail here is not Chapter 1, but that the difficulty must be dropped lower than hard BEFORE you reach a new checkpoint / save.

Its what I didn't test before as I couldnt, but im going through Impossible Plasma Cutter on 2 accounts back to back, halfway through now, so once I get to the end I will test it. To check if its Chapter 1 exclusive or that must be done before the next checkpoint.

For example, what if we die in Chapter 1, it gets changed to hard and then we carry on to another checkpoint. And THEN we change to Medium?? Still in Chapter 1, so this Chapter 1 reasoning for it wouldnt matter, but I have a feeling it wouldnt worl in this case.

Im sure those who have popped it on Medium, went from Impossible to Medium without hitting any new checkpoints or saves. So don't we know for sure.

Im just speculating here of course, but I reckon the exploit works because the game remembers the last displayed difficulty from the last checkpoint.

So when you go Impossible > Hard > Medium and then hit a checkpoint, although on Medium, the game for some reason thinks you're still on Impossible in terms of the trophy coding.

But them after that checkpoint, if you change difficulty then to Story, the game would think you are now on Medium in terms of trophies because that is what was last displayed at the recent checkpoint  / save.

This is my speculation on why the exploit occurs and it's only the trophy that tracks this way.

I will be testing tomorrow (Saturday), fingers crossed ;)

Didn’t you post saying you died at chapter 5 and then played with the difficulties at the end. So maybe if you start on Impossible and then die and keep it at hard and change it to medium till final boss then change back to hard is different then starting a new game in the trophy tracking. I’m trying from chapter 2 and on on normal to test this out as it’s too hard for my skills on hard haha. 

6 hours ago, leprekon666 said:

Great!  I hope someone else can confirm this as if there’s a few more then more people will feel safe doing it that way!

I did this continue on hard 2 days back...works like a charm
SORRY, did not read your comment properly...you are talking about switching to medium. i did it on HARD, which wasnt even much of a challenge most of the time.

Edited by Mr_Buzzinka
misread the comment

2 hours ago, leprekon666 said:

Didn’t you post saying you died at chapter 5 and then played with the difficulties at the end. So maybe if you start on Impossible and then die and keep it at hard and change it to medium till final boss then change back to hard is different then starting a new game in the trophy tracking. I’m trying from chapter 2 and on on normal to test this out as it’s too hard for my skills on hard haha. 

I did, and thats why i couldnt test the 'changing difficulty to Medium (or Story) straight away after dying'!!

Because I changed to hard way back and i speculate that if you want to drop it lower, then must be done before you hit any new checkpoint.

No checkpoints on Impossible remember so when you hit that first checkpoint after dropping from Impossible, it maybe checks for something, dunno.

I will check that as well (changing back to Hard) at the end but not sure if can imagine that being the reason.

When you change difficulty, if you look in the save menu, it instantly makes a sorta soft save with your new difficulty mentioned.

I think that somehow that softsave gets avoided by the trophy tracker if changing after Impossible without hitting any new checkpoints.

Hopefully I will see soon

I dont find Impossible too bad honestly, but Story is an absolute joke compared to it. And Medium enemies are not that much weaker than Impossible.

Story is where the glitch needs to be to be useful.

I started this game with like 5 x Impossible Plasma Cutter Only playthroughs, and once I finally got to Story, I couldnt believe what was going on as all the enemies were just tapping out after 1 or 2 bullets it seemed. Compared to Impossibles carefully placed 6+ shots.

So easy.

And did I mention, your HP regenerates automatically after about 5 seconds xD. Story is pretty much godmode

Edited by Optinooby