Impossible mode?

dougrayman

11 hours ago, BodyChipper said:

You can get all trophies in a minimum of two playthroughs if you do impossible as your first run and then a NG+ run on story/easy to get the markers/alternate ending, though you will have to do one of those runs with the plasma cutter only. You have to weigh the ease of an initial playthrough on an easier difficulty, but doing three runs total, versus the pain of doing an impossible run on your first time through the game. Impossible isn't all that hard IF you know what you're doing from a previous run, and you can always back out before dying and reload. Going in blind, you might be restarting a lot or you might not if you played the original and know the strategies.

I did 3 just so I could enjoy it the first time through, then put myself through hell on the impossible run, and now am breezing through a NG+ run with the hand cannon while upgrading fully. Each run took me ~12 hours in game time.

I decided to start my first blind playthrough on Impossible difficulty while only using the Plasma Cutter gun (well not blind in terms of the collectables cause I'm following PowerPyx's guide lol). I think it's pretty standard fare for a survival horror game so far. Granted I'm still in Chapter 2 so shit could go way harder later on (it's almost a guarantee it will) but it's not too bad since the game actually throws me a lot of ammo and also the Plasma Cutter is surprisingly strong for a starting weapon. I feel like the trophy should have been like 'complete the game only using stasis/kinesis/melee punch/stomp'. Now that would be ridiculous lol.

Also after the disappointing mess of a game that Callisto Protocol was, thank god this game is so fun. I've never played the original Dead Space games back then so I'm really having a blast so far. Perfect horror game to play until the next horror game, RE4 Remake, comes out.

Edited by PostGameBlues

Any recommendations as to what to buy from the store for my impossible run?Just that I'm carrying out the pulse rifle mine/node money trick at the moment and I read somewhere that it's not that important to buy ammo/med packs because the game will spawn them when you are running low on them anyways.

2 hours ago, danh90 said:

Any recommendations as to what to buy from the store for my impossible run?Just that I'm carrying out the pulse rifle mine/node money trick at the moment and I read somewhere that it's not that important to buy ammo/med packs because the game will spawn them when you are running low on them anyways.

Nothing aside a few things, i.e. Suit Upgrades, Force Gun/Plasma Cutter upgrades and Power Nodes, if you have extra credits.

I would recommend the Flamethrower as weapon, but only for the Alt Fire for the Wall Guardians. The Ripper is just as valuable as it was in the 2008 version of the game, especially on Impossible, during the beginning sections of the game up until chapter 6. Besides that, once you get the Force Gun in chapter 6 you can replace the nodes from the Ripper to the Force Gun instead.  

• Steam Deck Improvements
  • The game will now recognise if the player has collected the Crew Quarters key card before reaching Chapter 10 and getting the objective ‘Find the Crew Deck key’. —-> If you’re loading a save where you were already in this state and the game doesn’t update, travel away from the area (60 seconds approx.) and return, the game should then update.
  • The door to the security station will properly unlock after the call from Daniels ends during the objective ‘Locate the source of the broadcast. —-> If upon loading a save the door is still in standby, ride the tram to another station and back, wait 30 seconds and the door will unlock.
  • You will no longer be able to launch the asteroid without first destroying the gravity tethers, preventing them from getting stuck. —-> If upon loading a game where you are already stuck, the game will update if the player has destroyed the mining tethers. If you have not destroyed the mining tethers, you should do this, then the game will update.
  • Fixed Dr. Kyne not spawning inside Chief Steward’s office. —-> Will be fixed if the current objective is scrambled with unitologist symbols. Go back to the Cantina, then come back to Hunter fight room. This should trigger the proper quest flow. Then follow the quest markers until you reach Kyne’s sequence.
  • We now allow for the previous suit visual to be equipped —-> Previously acquired suit visuals are available in Storage and can be equipped by selecting them and choosing the “Equip” action. To remove a cosmetic, choose the currently equipped cosmetic suit, from the Storage, and select the “Unequip” option. Changing the cosmetic aspect of a suit does not impact the upgrades you have acquired. Suits are granted as such: Purchase level 2 -> Acquire level 1 cosmetic, Purchase level 3 -> Acquire level 2 cosmetic, etc… For saves where you’ve already acquired specific suit upgrades, the player will be automatically awarded the cosmetics in his Storage.
  • A few other fixes that may help overall, keep us posted here once you’ve updated your game and spent some time with it.

Don't know if this fixes the Impossible mode exploit or the infinite credits exploit though. I'm doing my playthrough on Impossible via death quit outs so I can't test this.

• Like 1

Just my two cents. I platinumed the game in about 3 days. Did my first playthrough on Impossible and switched to Hard once I died. Total play time for that playthrough was roughly 10 hours. It's completely doable, sometimes annoying but it was never too hard especially if you save often. Also, melee was like my best friend for a good portion of the game-- came in handy whenever I was low on ammo or wanted to conserve it. Also focused mainly on the upgrades for the suit and Plasma Cutter during this run, and there's the melee upgrade for the gun that helped out a lot. Second run-through on story mode with the plasma cutter was a breeze. I would not torture yourself with Impossible mode doing reloads from the cloud. 

1 hour ago, PhilanthropyFR said:

Run started in 1.04, died during chapter 6, continued with the same savefile in hard mode. Run continued and ended in 1.05, the achievement wasn't acquired at the end.

Good to know. So we need to be prepared for a quick "go back to main menu" in case of dying. The game is pretty easy, much easier than Tier 1 engineer in Dead Space 2008 but the insta-deaths are the biggest pain because my only death was via the tentacle monster slashing my head with full hp, so for a quick tip: never run past or try to melee the wall guys with tentacles. 

Edit. You can still go back to main menu after death and reload the old save on impossible. Tip 2: Dont touch the spike "something" on the asteroid when you try to plant the SOS signal even when its not moving its insta-death animation (make no sense but OK). I literally touched it with my pinky and Isaac explode into pieces. 

Edited by Demek97

I got the platinum and I will say for anyone about to go for the impossible run it's REALLY not that hard. You might have some difficulty at the beginning but I think once you get to chapter 3 the game becomes a breeze, stasis is your best friend for this run as for weapons I used the plasma cutter, contact beam and the force gun. The force gun was quite useful blowing off chunks of flesh and then swapping to the cutter useful for harder necro's at the end, I used the contact beam for the tentacles parts that grab you, it dealt with them quite quickly and of course don't forget to save when you get a chance!

On 18/02/2023 at 11:55 AM, PostGameBlues said:
  • Steam Deck Improvements
  • The game will now recognise if the player has collected the Crew Quarters key card before reaching Chapter 10 and getting the objective ‘Find the Crew Deck key’. —-> If you’re loading a save where you were already in this state and the game doesn’t update, travel away from the area (60 seconds approx.) and return, the game should then update.
  • The door to the security station will properly unlock after the call from Daniels ends during the objective ‘Locate the source of the broadcast. —-> If upon loading a save the door is still in standby, ride the tram to another station and back, wait 30 seconds and the door will unlock.
  • You will no longer be able to launch the asteroid without first destroying the gravity tethers, preventing them from getting stuck. —-> If upon loading a game where you are already stuck, the game will update if the player has destroyed the mining tethers. If you have not destroyed the mining tethers, you should do this, then the game will update.
  • Fixed Dr. Kyne not spawning inside Chief Steward’s office. —-> Will be fixed if the current objective is scrambled with unitologist symbols. Go back to the Cantina, then come back to Hunter fight room. This should trigger the proper quest flow. Then follow the quest markers until you reach Kyne’s sequence.
  • We now allow for the previous suit visual to be equipped —-> Previously acquired suit visuals are available in Storage and can be equipped by selecting them and choosing the “Equip” action. To remove a cosmetic, choose the currently equipped cosmetic suit, from the Storage, and select the “Unequip” option. Changing the cosmetic aspect of a suit does not impact the upgrades you have acquired. Suits are granted as such: Purchase level 2 -> Acquire level 1 cosmetic, Purchase level 3 -> Acquire level 2 cosmetic, etc… For saves where you’ve already acquired specific suit upgrades, the player will be automatically awarded the cosmetics in his Storage.
  • A few other fixes that may help overall, keep us posted here once you’ve updated your game and spent some time with it.

Don't know if this fixes the Impossible mode exploit or the infinite credits exploit though. I'm doing my playthrough on Impossible via death quit outs so I can't test this.

Can anyone confirm the impossible / hard mode glitch still works after 1.005 patch. About to start my impossible playthrough soon. 

Edited by SlippingJimy
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Mastodon_Slayer said:

Can someone please explain how the Glitch work?

If you die on impossible and choose the option to continue the game on hard it would still earn you a trophy for beating the game on impossible after finishing the game on hard. Some people claim the glitch stop working after patch 1.005 but the quit to main menu after death still works. 

• Like 1

I just finished the Impossible mode, really nothing hard at all once you passed the first 2 chapters and have a decent HP bar. The Plasma cutter is enough to go through the game without any difficulty, I found the poles and explosive/stasis canisters are incredibly OP to save ammos.

I don't think it has been mentionned before so I wanna point out a potential glitch that can ruin your run : At the end of Chapter 5, once you freeze the Hunter to death, I picked up the Tissue sample very quickly while Daniels was still talking to me. I then proceeded to the tram to move on but the tram was locked, I couldn't call it through the console. I then realized I had no "Main Mission" objective and the chapter 5 didn't end. I only had the new subquest related to the tissue sample I picked up. I didn't use backup saves because I wanted to do it legit, which means if I had saved my glitched run, I probably would have had to start over again. Fortunately, I restarted the save before the boss fight and this time, I made sure Daniels finished talking and I got the "Chapter 5 completed" message BEFORE picking up the tissue sample (which I didn't even need actually).

• Like 1

Started today and I'm impressed how hard I'm finding it, because I had been playing really well up until now, but the permadeath aspect makes me do more mistakes, even with the quitting to the menu trick it's still a bummer to make so many mistakes haha, but I think I'll finish it tomorrow.

My main issue is the random enemies, 1 or 2 is perfectly fine, but today I got 3 Necros together in a small room, it's frustrating when stuff like that happens.

This doesn’t work anymore, I did the game properly on impossible until the end where one of the enemies with an exploding arm took 75% of my fucking health and I instantly died, obviously wasn’t expecting this so I couldn’t leave to the main menu, it continued on hard I finished the last 15 minutes and the trophy for impossible didn’t unlock. 
Cba with a 4th play through of this tedious fucking game, I’ll get it physically and play on patch 1.0 and do the boss fight again hoping it unlocks. 

Edited by SzzMN
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, SzzMN said:

This doesn’t work anymore, I did the game properly on impossible until the end where one of the enemies with an exploding arm took 75% of my fucking health and I instantly died, obviously wasn’t expecting this so I couldn’t leave to the main menu, it continued on hard I finished the last 15 minutes and the trophy for impossible didn’t unlock. 
Cba with a 4th play through of this tedious fucking game, I’ll get it physically and play on patch 1.0 and do the boss fight again hoping it unlocks. 

No , you just waste your time , coz the exploit only work for 1.04 ver , 1.00 didn't give you any trophy

8 minutes ago, nezarreza said:

No , you just waste your time , coz the exploit only work for 1.04 ver , 1.00 didn't give you any trophy

If you actually read what I said I didn’t know that the exploit was patched. There was no concrete information that it was patched.

Half of the time the information posted on these forums is wrong anyways.
Besides I was doing it legit without the exploit hence why quitting to the menu didn’t cross my mind.

But sure it’s my fault and I wasted my time because the game decided to put one of the exploding guys inside of a brute which I couldn’t see then proceeded to 1 shot me 15 minutes before the end of the game. Some people on this website ?

Edited by SzzMN
  • Like 1