Spam bot for chat.

We've had a person flooding the chat for the last 30 minutes and, since there's no mod around, he's pretty much got absolute power. The account name is KrazyKraftKid. I'd screencap the evidence but, he keeps crashing my computer with the sheer volume of flooding. I'm positive that others have screencapped it though.

Since my suggestion for a night mod was shot down, maybe we could at least get a spam bot to auto kick anyone that posts so many times within a certain time frame or something.

Night mod? What are you talking about? It's the middle of the day here in Southern Hemispherea.

It'd have to be built into the Chat app, it's not something Sly can add. There's likely some flood control, but I'm not sure it extends to automated suspension.

[edit] I just had a look at one of my Invision installs and I can't even see flood control, let alone anti-bot measures.

Small potatoes...I'm sure the mods will kick him. If Sly has Chat logs enabled, the evidence will still be there.

Edited by ant1th3s1s

It'd have to be built into the Chat app, it's not something Sly can add.

After looking, your right. But there are a few custom plugins out there that have some form of flood control working. So it can be done... 

After looking, your right. But there are a few custom plugins out there that have some form of flood control working. So it can be done... 

I suspected as much. I've just installed Invision's Chat on a forum myself and haven't had time to look into it further. But as far as default settings go, there's nothing there.

You also need to weigh up the extra cost of adding plugins vs the benefits. It might not be worth it in terms of additional overhead if it's a relatively isolated incident.

Edited by ant1th3s1s

Pretty sure it's not that uncommon, and this place is getting bigger every day.

Fair call. It's a solid idea, I'm not here to shoot it down.

One of the plugins we use adds extra forum permissions to prevent access to specific forums based on registration date  and no. of posts, among other restrictions.I think it can be applied to IP Chat as well, which would all but solve the problem without the need for flood control / anti-bots.  Maybe not, I couldn't see the option - it only applies to Forums.

Edited by ant1th3s1s

I don't, he gets into more arguments than I do, even more so if his pc crashes on screen cap :lol:

Looks like the US timezones are more prone to getting spammed though, as I have never seen any issues (perhaps the odd troll, but that's not a surprise)

and although the site is growing, I'm not sure I've seen a massive influx to the CB, but again I'm only seeing this from the EU perspective.

I don't, he gets into more arguments than I do, even more so if his pc crashes on screen cap :lol:

Looks like the US timezones are more prone to getting spammed though, as I have never seen any issues (perhaps the odd troll, but that's not a surprise)

and although the site is growing, I'm not sure I've seen a massive influx to the CB, but again I'm only seeing this from the EU perspective.

Mem, it proves that we are more disciplined :P We never have the kinda problems that eff mentioned :awesome: Maybe the guy started to spam because eff was talking about his completion percentage? :ninja: