Teams/Groups?

Will there be things such as teams? I know a lot of people don't really want them to float over to this site because of it's competitive nature, but I was wondering if there would be any teams other than the usual mods and admins. Also, will there be groups and such, much like on .com?

By teams i assume he means ..... Admins, Super Mods, Trophy Guide Team, Trophy News Team, Review Team, .... much like .com, but because we aren't going in the "Guides" route pointless having a team for guides, Review team (an absolutely pointless team as far as im concerned), Trophy News Team (was only invented because admins had other shit to do rather than post it themselves).

By teams i assume he means ..... Admins, Super Mods, Trophy Guide Team, Trophy News Team, Review Team

Oh... that's not what I thought he meant, that makes a lot of sense. As you say though, most of them are pretty pointless considering the route this site is going. The only role I can see being worthwhile is a news team (assuming we're getting a news feed).

The way that trophy guides will be done here won't require a team. No one reads the reviews on .com so we probably won't do them here. There may be a news team who posts real news but not trophy lists.

I approve of the lack of the first two teams, but do we really need a news team? Is it really so hard for people to add Joystiq / Kotaku to their Google Reader? Unless we're going to dig out the actual journalists, then it'll just be reposting from other sites who actually pay people to write and research stories, so it seems a bit pointless to me.

The way that trophy guides will be done here won't require a team. No one reads the reviews on .com so we probably won't do them here. There may be a news team who posts real news but not trophy lists.

To be honest, I don't see why we even need a Trophy Guide Team on .com. Honestly, all they do is handle how guides are called and they set up the wiki format for people. To be honest, I don't see why we even need them to do that. As long as you have a knowledge or the wiki format and there is a moderated guide-calling thread, then there isn't really a point for having that team.

As far as Review Team goes, I think most of you know how much I love reviews and such. Do we need a team for reviews on this site? No. But I still think there should be a section for people to write reviews if they wish to do so.

As far as a News Team goes, I do quite like the idea of it. Me and Manny were the ones who definitely pushed for the team on .com (amongst others) and the Trophy List Team basically turned into the News Team as well. I think the reason why a News Team would be helpful is because there are always so many duplicate threads posting the exact same news. Having a News Team will allow them to post official news, and therefore you wouldn't have to worry about as much spam. However, like Pie said, most news is just copied and pasted on to the site from other gaming sites. It's still not a bad thing because it keeps people informed without having to go to different sites for news, but I do think it would be cool for people to be journalists with the situation and actually go to things like E3 (if they can) and get the news straight from the source.

As far as Review Team goes, I think most of you know how much I love reviews and such. Do we need a team for reviews on this site? No. But I still think there should be a section for people to write reviews if they wish to do so.

Sly said that if you want to review a game, you're welcome to, you can post it in the game's subforum. I think that's more organised and useful than having a "reviews" subforum - if I'm considering buying a game, I check MetaCritic and its subforum on various sites, not a dedicated reviews section.

To be honest, I don't see why we even need a Trophy Guide Team on .com. Honestly, all they do is handle how guides are called and they set up the wiki format for people.

You're forgetting to mention the several hundreds of guides that are being converted from thread format to wiki format, as well as moderating every game's individual forum.

As long as you have a knowledge or the wiki format and there is a moderated guide-calling thread, then there isn't really a point for having that team.

Hardly anybody knows how to use bbcode on .com, or on most forums out there. The idea of letting people who know nothing to create something like a wiki is ridiculous. Even though some members of the guide team on .com simply use a template they've created to set up the wiki's, it's still the safest option as even with a template you're guaranteed to get some idiot who completely messes things up.

You're forgetting to mention the several hundreds of guides that are being converted from thread format to wiki format, as well as moderating every game's individual forum.

Hardly anybody knows how to use bbcode on .com, or on most forums out there. The idea of letting people who know nothing to create something like a wiki is ridiculous. Even though some members of the guide team on .com simply use a template they've created to set up the wiki's, it's still the safest option as even with a template you're guaranteed to get some idiot who completely messes things up.

Both excellent arguments against the wiki format. It was a stupid, stupid idea, absolutely pointless, and they're paying the price for the mistake that was made. Still, Lee, given that the wiki conversion still isn't done a whole year after the wiki crap was introduced, it's clear to me that there's something wrong with either the team itself or the number of staff on the team. If each one of them had done a guide every 2 days then they'd be done a long time ago. Just another reason we don't need teams.

• 3 weeks later...

yea, i agree with what sly intend: with the guide setup, we wont need them, itd be a position with no purpose. for Reviews, its not really needed since sites like IGN and GameInformer do that professionally, so they are better at it...but news team would be good.

and dam sly, i swear your looking to put .com out of business with the setup :)

I'm up for that. A news team would be a nice touch, hell i'd volunteer for a position.

I know a lot of people don't seem to like the idea of 'copying and pasting' news from other sites, but that's not what happens. Fair enough, a piece of news get's a source added, just to prove it's existance, but just like the team over at .com, you just type it up in your own words, add your own little opinion about the story, etc.

I think it's a good idea.

• Like 1

I guess I'm in the minority here in actually liking the idea of a news group. I often start my day online by going to Facebook and usually find a link or two from the news section of .com This results in me opening it in another Tab and from there I then check for any new threads on the forums.

As for the trophy guides. I can see the intended setup working out well. However I also really like the Wiki guides that .com uses. Although I will say that I've seen many people make crap guides or not do a very good job IMO on .com and I've often found the .org ones to be much better. The bottom line is, however the guides or tips end up, they better be detailed and not cause people to have to look for another source when trophy hunting.

I guess I'm in the minority here in actually liking the idea of a news group. I often start my day online by going to Facebook and usually find a link or two from the news section of .com This results in me opening it in another Tab and from there I then check for any new threads on the forums.

As for the trophy guides. I can see the intended setup working out well. However I also really like the Wiki guides that .com uses. Although I will say that I've seen many people make crap guides or not do a very good job IMO on .com and I've often found the .org ones to be much better. The bottom line is, however the guides or tips end up, they better be detailed and not cause people to have to look for another source when trophy hunting.

If there aren't any detailed tips then someone can easily write their own, it's then up to the community to decide if they like it or not.

Bounty, why do we need a news team when we have you? You're already the news team.

Ha.. Yeah, thanks. I was just meaning an official 'News' Section at the top, near the Announcements/Feedback page. For example; Set up a new 'Group' consisting of one or two people, and they can be considered the 'Official' News Team, and from there, they can update that section on a daily basis.

I just figured it'd be easier for members to navigate and find the latest pieces of News, as topics can sometimes get lost in the scramble with other threads.

While it isn't necessary, I just thought it could be an idea for Sly to think about.