Time for another KYC - 20th edition

Quick update on one of the games I played. Unfortunately Beholder 3 ended up dropping in my rating. The game expanded from the base apartment management sim, and started dipping into the busywork that the second game was focused on of being an office worker doing mundane tasks. That would've dropped the score and my interest only slightly, but then it simply wouldn't allow me to talk to the person I was specifically supposed to speak to for story reasons. It being a main objective, mean it's a game over if you fail it. So yeah, it wouldn't let me progress past that mission. It's now a 5/10 for being broken, and can't recommend it.

PS: If anyone would've been interested in getting impressions on some of the games that I originally had on my list (Anno Mutationem, Little Hope, Circus Electrique), I'd chuck them in this thread, should I end up getting to them before the next event.

• Like 3

KYC 20

Game No. 6
L30f00a.png

Playing Time: 2+ hours

Trophies Earned: 0/24

Final Thoughts: I am dreadfully late getting this review in. My May was bat shit crazy so please remind me for 2024 to pick short and stupid games. On to my last game…

I started the event with a simulator and ended with one as well. To keep it simple, the first one was a hundred times better than this game. Your Thief Simulator starts with a very basic tutorial of how to sneak around a neighborhood. Right from the start, you can tell this game is going to be clunky. The graphics are maybe PS1 quality, and that’s probably being generous. 
   The goal in this game is to steal stuff from houses. At first, you can only use open windows or break them with a crowbar, but there’s a sound wave bar, and you might be heard. Once you are in the house, you can wander around and search for loot. This is where the lack of graphics horrifically affects the gameplay. There is literally nothing to steal. The houses are bare of just about every modern convenience mankind has had since 1900. It’s like looting a dorm room before Move-In Day. There’s a bed, closet and desk, and that’s about it. The first house I went into, I came out with a pot and pan, and my big fence item was a fricking toaster!

I think your neighborhoods get upgraded as you progress so you have a chance to steal artwork and cars, but I got nowhere close to that. You also have a safe house, where you can sell stolen loot on a fake EBay, buy tools like lockpicks, and get intel on homes. I think this is where the crutch of the game is. You need to case a house and watch for patterns when people come in and out, and hit it when nobody is home. You can also buy intel and it might tell you the bathroom window is ajar.

Probably the best part of the game is your pal, Vinny. He will call you and give you missions to do. For the time I played, the missions worked great as a tutorial, and there’s much more to the game than I expected. There is a skill tree that will make things easier, like upgrading to a bigger backpack for more loot. There’s also a workbench where you can assemble tools and devices.

But for all the story and mission stuff the game has to offer, the gameplay itself vastly suffers. It’s just not that much fun. Better graphics and a more detailed world would’ve grabbed my attention more. But it almost feels like you are in the house from Dire Straits’ Money For Nothing video. Okay, not that bad, but uncomfortably close. 
I failed again to earn a trophy and was kinda clueless as to why. Then I looked at the trophy list and one of the easiest to earn is a bronze for stealing five TV’s. Yet, of the six houses I broke into, I only found one TV! :facepalm:

Yeah, highly doubtful I return to this one.

Grade: :hidden:

• Like 4

Finished the last couple DLC trophies on Disaster Report 4, still not a very good game.

Also finished the plat for Psychonauts 2. A little bit easier than the first game but this whole series is just so charming. A really fun experience.

Lastly, finished my first story run of Fallen Legion: Flames of Rebellion. Last boss fight was a bit of work but storywise it finished out all right. The combat takes a bit of time to get used to though. I’ll upgrade to 5/10.

• Like 2

Another update from me.

Got the platinum in The Callisto Protocol. Nothing changed about my rating. It gets better ammo distribution towards the final two chapters, but that's just too late and it's still not enough to effectively kill enemies with anyway. Final boss fight is somewhat frustrating, as adds spawn, and if they do they'll insta kill you on max difficulty.

I've also returned to Mass Effect Andromeda.. The further I'm progressing with the story, the more bugs and glitches happen. Within the last 20 minutes the game softlocked twice on the same mission Once halfway through, once at the end. The multiplayer is also bugged, doesn't connect to servers at all. So it's a 6.5 now, instead of a 7.5 I believe I had given initially.

Quite disappointing to be honest.

My order of favorites kind of switched quite a bit.

• Afterparty
  • Forspoken
  • The Callisto Protocol
  • Mass Effect Andromeda
  • Hard West
  • Fatal Frame Maiden of Black Water
  • Castlevania Lords of Shadow 2
  • Beyond a Steel Sky.
  • Beholder 3
  • Sundered

Only game I'd actively recommend ends up being Afterparty at this point.

• Like 3

On 4/15/2023 at 4:54 AM, voodoo_eyes said:

Kill Your Completion 20

(Starts 1st of May 2023 and ends 31st of May 2023)

It's time again to have another round of trying out a few games over the course of a month.

The Premise
Participants will each choose a list of at least 5, and up to 10 0% games (or any number in.between) from their backlog and post them here so everyone can follow along. These games don't have to be pre loaded on your profile, as long as you own them already and haven't earned a trophy they count. Participants will start a new game from that list every few days for the next month. They WILL then post their thoughts on each game, and write a short review on the final day for each game. This can take any shape or form each person desires.

The starting time is whenever the 1st of May begins for you.

The Deeds

Reveal hidden contents

Requirements to Join
Psnprofiles member for 1 month (or premium member)
Backlog of at least 5 un-started games
Desire to be part of something fun. 
A complete and utter dis-regard for your completion rate (for the next month)

How to Join
Say you want in :highfive:
Post your list of the games YOU ALREADY OWN that you haven't started.
Post your completion percent for S&G.

Game Selection Suggestions
These are just suggestions, this will have no bearing on you being added to the event. These are just things that I think make for a more interesting selection of games overall.
- Variety is The Spice...: Try to avoid having more than 1 or 2 of the same type of game on there.
- Try Something New or Different - A list filled with AAA games/remasters that you've already played, from only two different series, is boring.
- Don't choose all games that all have average completion times under 10 hours: You're not fooling anybody. Sneaky participant is not sneaky.

TL;DR

Reveal hidden contents
  • final day of sign ups will be the 1st of May (2023)
  • the event begins whenever the 1st of May begins in your timezone
  • pick 5 - 10 games that are at 0% and play them during the respective amount of days (examples: 5 games/6days each ; 10 games/3 days each - this means consecutive days.
  • Games have to be a 0%, no exceptions.
  • don't pick only short and easy games
  • post your list of games
  • do yourself a favour and install/preload your games on the system. Less time wasted for patches to download, etc
  • each game should be played for at least 3 hours total, throughout the X number of days allocated to them (equal number of days for each game)
  • You can't switch a game out once you've already started it.
  • Write a review/impression/thoughts on the game you played, before moving on to the next one (final review is mandatory, regular updates are optional)
  • If you don't want to miss the start of the event, follow the thread

Participants

Reveal hidden contents

ArcticCress

Reveal hidden contents

9th Dawn III

Akiba's Beat

Digimon Survive

Disco Elysium: The Final Cut

Shiren the Wanderer: The Tower of Fortune and the Dice of Fate

Witch on the Holy Night

Chirithy84

Reveal hidden contents

1. Star Ocean Devine (JRRG/ Sci-Fi)

2. Tales of Arise (common JRPG like the other Tales of game, but better..)

3. God of War: Ragnarök

4. Fuga:  Melodies of Steel

5. A Space for the Unbound

GT__Jedi

Reveal hidden contents
1. Kona
2. 11-11: Memories Retold
3. Tchia
4. Life is Strange: True Colors

5. The Raven: Legacy of a Master Thief

Hemiak

Reveal hidden contents

Superhot

Alien: Isolation

Hyper Light Drifter

Tsushima

Assault Android Cactus

GoW (2018)

Biomutant

Rise of the Tomb Raider

Plague Tale: Innocence

Dreams

Kevvik

Reveal hidden contents

Fallen Legion: Flames of Rebellion

Contrast

Wytchwood

Disco Elysium: The Final Cut

Sakura Wars

Psychonauts 2

MarkusT1992

Reveal hidden contents

Tails of Iron

Neptunia ReVerse

Call of Duty: Modern Warefar 2 Campaign Remastered

The Darkest Tale

Tunic

LEGO The Incredibles

PerryToxteth

Reveal hidden contents
  1. Ship Graveyard Simulator
  2. Warsaw
  3. Last Day of June
  4. Strategic Mind: Blitzkrieg
  5. Thief Simulator
  6. Five Dates

Psy-Tychist

Reveal hidden contents

1. Tales of Iron.

2. Dread Nautical.

3. The Midnight Sanctuary.

4. Momodora: Reverie Under the Moonlight.

5. Superhot

6. The Fall Pt.2: Unbound.

purgta

Reveal hidden contents

1. The Bard's Tale IV

2. I am Setsuna

3. Jak and Daxter

4. Jisei

5. Legend of Dragoon

slicknick3822

Reveal hidden contents

1. Marvel's Spider-Man Remastered

2. Ghost of Tsushima

3. Everybody's Gone to the Rapture

4. Life is Strange: Before the Storm

5. Horizon: Zero Dawn

6. Persona 4 Golden

Taruta13

Reveal hidden contents
  1. The Last Campfire
  2. Rogue Galaxy
  3. Kingdom Hearts III
  4. Ni No Kuni: Revenant Kingdom
  5. Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana (PS4)
  6. Asdivine Saga (PS4)
  7. Yooka-Laylee
  8. Disgaea 1 Complete
  9. Heirs of the Kings (PS4)
  10. Persona 3 Portable

voodoo_eyes

Reveal hidden contents

1-3     Sundered

4-6     The Callisto Protocol

7-9     Hard West

10-12 Beholder 3

13-15 Fatal Frame Maiden of Black Water

16-18 Castlevania Lords of Shadow 2

19-21 Mass Effect Andromeda

22-24 Beyond a Steel Sky

25-27 Forspoken

28-30 After Party

Vulpine9Tails

Reveal hidden contents

1. Assassin's Creed Liberation Remastered

2. Crysis Remastered

3. Ghost of a Tale

4. Kingdoms of Amalur Re-Reckoning

5. Tamarin

Any idea when the next event will take place? Been wanting to join and always find out about it when it’s already started ?

On 31/05/2023 at 7:39 AM, voodoo_eyes said:

The next event will only be in November, as every 6 months seems to work out better currently than ever 4 months. We'll see, if there's enough interest to keep the event going that way.

@xItsLesterx, this is what the OP has mentioned about when the next one is and the frequency it will be run.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Finished Eldest Souls a week or so after the event ended, then went back and cleaned up Superhot. Finishing up my first run of Alien:Isolation now, but I’ve been side tracked by a new DBD chapter and the anniversary event so progress is slower than I’d like. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/31/2023 at 1:39 AM, voodoo_eyes said:

Forspoken - Not living up to it's price tag

Why am I not surprised? xD

Poor Square-Enix, they threw all their eggs into that basket and the eggs got rotten. They had to turn back to their OP to save them from bankruptcy. Thank goodness Final Fantasy XVI did as well as it did despite being only sellable to adults due to all the M-rated content scattered about. ;)

Then again, they could have clearly gone bankrupt because, well, you know, you try to collab with one of the biggest comic book superheroe multiverses and... eh... <_<

Here's to Kingdom Hearts 4 and hopefully some more information and hopes that Dragon Quest Monsters: The Dark Prince gets trophy support. That franchise was my favorite before Dragon Quest Builders... Square-Enix, dood, where is the Dragon Quest Builders 3 reveal, huh??? ?