Bad CRT filter

RedDevil757

I played Final Fantasy NES back in 1987~ or so and will admit I don't remember it being as fuzzy as the Pixel Remaster CRT Filter currently makes it look. Either way, the other features they added are great for those of us short on game time -- auto-battle, multiplied EXP/GIL, chest tracker, battle avoider -- extremely welcome additions to the franchise after 30+ years of turn-based RPGs!

• Like 3

6 hours ago, RedDevil757 said:

Holy hell's batman! Whoever created the crt filter for this game should be jailed. It might possibly be the worst I've seen. CRT TVs did not produce a picture like that!

Yeah.

I was pleased with many of the classic options. The graphical option displeased me.

3 hours ago, Elk_mistral said:

they want to create it with pixel perfect.. so the graphic are exactly what they was looking for.

They will never add filter

They did add it. It's just crap. Also perfect pixels have scanlines over them

1 hour ago, AtaraxicDream said:

A clearer image is a better image 1f601.png It's sad that they removed changing your menu colors and themes with the remaster. That's something I miss. Also the weird cursor sounds are far from originals. At least we got these on console so I guess ?1f3fd.png

It's also A LOT easier. Even without all the cheats they added

• Like 1

5 hours ago, AtaraxicDream said:

A clearer image is a better image 1f601.png It's sad that they removed changing your menu colors and themes with the remaster. That's something I miss. Also the weird cursor sounds are far from originals. At least we got these on console so I guess ?1f3fd.png

I remember the color thing on FFIV. I made the ugliest rainbows imaginable.

8 hours ago, starcrunch061 said:

I remember the color thing on FFIV. I made the ugliest rainbows imaginable.

If you own a PS3, the PS1 versions of all these are still available on the PSN store. For anyone interested in getting a more original feel of course.

Edit: my bad I forgot 3 didn't get that treatment. Not till the DS

Edited by AtaraxicDream
Update

11 hours ago, AtaraxicDream said:

If you own a PS3, the PS1 versions of all these are still available on the PSN store. For anyone interested in getting a more original feel of course.

Edit: my bad I forgot 3 didn't get that treatment. Not till the DS

I actually own a ps1 copy of origins.

It’s not a huge deal, but it’s odd. FF just didn’t look like this when I played as a kid.

• Like 1

On 4/22/2023 at 11:44 AM, starcrunch061 said:

I actually own a ps1 copy of origins.

It’s not a huge deal, but it’s odd. FF just didn’t look like this when I played as a kid.

When I played it as a kid, it looked like hot garbage but it was exciting as hell back then. This was on the NES though.

It was also far more difficult due to the following reasons;

1. I was a very young child
  2. I had very limited JRPG experience
  3. There was hardly any balancing
  4. No internet, so no 5,000 topics of "best team".
  5. Intelligence did absolutely fuck all, so spells never became more powerful. They also didn't become weaker, so a Red Mage did the same as White/Black.
  6. Pretty sure half the armors/weapons were broken as well. Sure felt like it.

I much prefer these new ones, though the memories are very fond.

It is odd that the scanlines effect is superimposed on the art, but it does ultimately achieve the desired effect that the original CRT's did, imo. I think it looks great in Classic. In particular the "shimmering" effect in water really stood out to me. The menu screens do look off though.

13 hours ago, Flipendo64 said:

Some games do scanline filters really well, but the filter in this game is the worst I've come across

Yeah I think it was made by someone that's never seen a CRT TV. 

Sonic Mania and the recent Ninja turtles games have amazing CRT filters

On 27/04/2023 at 8:48 AM, Pots3k said:

It is odd that the scanlines effect is superimposed on the art, but it does ultimately achieve the desired effect that the original CRT's did, imo. I think it looks great in Classic. In particular the "shimmering" effect in water really stood out to me. The menu screens do look off though.

It looks like a faulty CRT TV thats about to die. It's not how they looked

• Like 1

On 5/2/2023 at 9:21 PM, RedDevil757 said:

Yeah I think it was made by someone that's never seen a CRT TV. 

Sonic Mania and the recent Ninja turtles games have amazing CRT filters

It looks like a faulty CRT TV thats about to die. It's not how they looked

Eh, I disagree. I've been using the filter now for every game and I think its great. It is far preferable to no filter. Literally the only difference is that the filter is superimposed on the art, rather than a screen overlay. It achieves the desired effect. It looks awful without it.

On 03/05/2023 at 2:07 PM, Pots3k said:

Eh, I disagree. I've been using the filter now for every game and I think its great. It is far preferable to no filter. Literally the only difference is that the filter is superimposed on the art, rather than a screen overlay. It achieves the desired effect. It looks awful without it.

It's not how CRT TVs look. I have two set up for my retro consoles.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, RedDevil757 said:

It's not how CRT TVs look. I have two set up for my retro consoles.

Well they're not claiming that it is a CRT filter. The purpose of it is to emulate the colour bleeding effect and smooth out the pixel art and it achieves that.

It's certainly not the best but not the worst, the games look far worse without it imo, they just went too hard with the scanlines and blurriness, kinda of a lazy job on their part since most ports of classic games have a variety of filters to choose from.