New Head of Xbox Phil Spencer says gamers want Microsoft to bring back Shenmue

Lady Lilith

http://segabits.com/blog/2014/03/31/new-head-of-xbox-phil-spencer-says-gamers-want-microsoft-to-bring-back-shenmue/

Phil-Spencer.jpg

Following his recent appointment as Head of Xbox at Microsoft, Phil Spencer spoke with Polygon about his ideas for the future of the brand. Regarding his leadership, Spencer promised that “with me you’re going to get a focus on gaming first and a best platform to play games on.” When asked about what games he receives requests for, Spencer named the Shenmue franchise as the biggest request Xbox owners ask Microsoft for. Spencer jokingly referred to it as “the big Shenmue contingency.”

A new Shenmue isn’t on the horizon just yet, but it is good to know that people like Phil Spencer have the franchise on their minds thanks to the efforts of fan campaigns. Help out the #SaveShenmue campaign yourself by heading over to their site and spreading the word.

Shenmue on Xbox One...do not want.

I love how people beg for this game, but then the multimillion dollar corporation that they miraculously detest for not being their favorite multimillion dollar corporation decides to actually do something about it and it just becomes a "Fuck that!" situation.

¬_¬

This comes out thanks to Microsoft, I wouldn't be surprised if there also comes a PC. Wouldn't be surprised if it ended up on the PS4 as well. But at least it'll finally be out, and hell, it'll probably be awesome; I just want it to come out already.

• Like 1

I would hate for it to be a Microsoft exclusive, but that would teach Sony damn it. :P

I'm been gaming for about 25 years. Having said that...am I the only one scratching their head and asking 'dafuq is Shenmue?'

Possibly :o  It's an awesome game, but I doubt your the only one. 

We never even had shenmue on the ps brand so why are people complaining? Give them chance first.

We're complaining because we've been waiting 13 years for Shenmue III and II was an Xbox exclusive in America.

Yes, you are.

The likes on his post seem to disagree...

Anyway, I guess it's not too surprising, I mean, Shenmue was a pretty niche game (like Yakuza), though it has a cult following.  Plus, it's a Dreamcast exclusive (unless you include 2, which was still on DC in PAL, but Xbox exclusive in America), and from what I've seen, even if a fair number of people have Dreamcasts, it's still far less than Nintendo/Sony/MS systems.

Doesn't mean that it deserves its cult following, though.

• Like 1

It sucks that the game is going to be Xbox exclusive, I want to try out the game since the only Sega Console i had was a Genesis, so I couldn't play it but I wanted to try it at least once

Does MS have the rights to it? They'll probably make one game and if it doesn't sell as well as Halo, They'll banish it like they did with Banjo. Oh, Banjo... What did they do to you? :(

• Like 1

Does MS have the rights to it? They'll probably make one game and if it doesn't sell as well as Halo, They'll banish it like they did with Banjo. Oh, Banjo... What did they do to you? :(

Well MS doesn't have the rights for it right now, but the 2nd game was exclusive to Xbox (in North America) so it's implied that they might get it.

I've seen a few Sony guys (from the actual company, not people here) say they want Shenmue on the PlayStation 4 as well but all I really care about is the damn game. Shenmue is one of my favorite series of all time and I've been waiting for the final chapter for over a decade. I believe Sega still has the rights to the franchise so unless someone offers to pay development costs or they sell the rights to Yu Suzuki I don't think we'll see Shenmue III for quite a while. 

If someone releases Shenmue I and II as an HD collection and then Shenmue III, I'll but ten copies of each. 

Parker

You know all those lovely Quick Time Events you hate in games. Well you can thank Shenmue for that ^_^

I'd say it introduced a whole lot more than just quick time events to gaming. The amount of things you can do in that world was absolutely astounding back then, hell it is still pretty crazy to this day. 

Parker

I'd say it introduced a whole lot more than just quick time events to gaming. The amount of things you can do in that world was absolutely astounding back then, hell it is still pretty crazy to this day. 

Parker

Yeah, which is why the Dreamcast is still one of the greatest systems in history :wub:. People who either weren't around or haven't played it really missed out on a great piece of technology :)