Honkai: Star Rail - General Discussion

Dead Weight

How often the really good, almost op kind of characters appear on the banner thingy that has a 50/100% chance to pull on the 50th and 100th attempts? I got Seele on my 100th attempt on the current one, in the meantime I got Clara and Bronya out of the 5* characters. I have a few side quests and the time limited stuff like Aetherium Wars left to do. Should I save Stellar Jades for a specific banner that might come down the line or blow it all on standard pulls? Seems like the former is a smarter choice, but honestly I have zero idea how these games work long term, so better to ask. 

I'd gladly blow it all on a proper skip dialogue option in side quests... 

On 11/5/2023 at 12:33 AM, the1andonly654 said:

How often the really good, almost op kind of characters appear on the banner thingy that has a 50/100% chance to pull on the 50th and 100th attempts? I got Seele on my 100th attempt on the current one, in the meantime I got Clara and Bronya out of the 5* characters. I have a few side quests and the time limited stuff like Aetherium Wars left to do. Should I save Stellar Jades for a specific banner that might come down the line or blow it all on standard pulls? Seems like the former is a smarter choice, but honestly I have zero idea how these games work long term, so better to ask. 

You definitely shouldn't spend any jades on the standard banner, especially when you already have the two best standard banner characters already. FYI the soft pity (when you're likely to get a 5* character) is 75 pulls, and the hard pity (when you're guaranteed to get a 5* character) is 90 pulls. Waiting for a banner with a character you like the gameplay of is always the right choice with gachas.

As for OP characters, we've had three so far, two damage dealers (Dan Heng IL and Jingliu) and one healer (Luocha). From the looks of it the healer coming out next week, Huo Huo, is going to be of a similar usefulness as Luocha, so using your jades on her would be wise. We don't know enough about future characters to say anything definitive, but it's looking like Ruan Mei and Hanabi are going to be excellent buffers, and Black Swan will probably be a great damage over time unit. Waiting for Dan Heng IL to come back is also an option, but rerun banners are happening at half the speed that characters are releasing, so it could be a long time till they all get reruns.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, tomhannay said:

You definitely shouldn't spend any jades on the standard banner, especially when you already have the two best standard banner characters already. FYI the soft pity (when you're likely to get a 5* character) is 75 pulls, and the hard pity (when you're guaranteed to get a 5* character) is 90 pulls. Waiting for a banner with a character you like the gameplay of is always the right choice with gachas.

As for OP characters, we've had three so far, two damage dealers (Dan Heng IL and Jingliu) and one healer (Luocha). From the looks of it the healer coming out next week, Huo Huo, is going to be of a similar usefulness as Luocha, so using your jades on her would be wise. We don't know enough about future characters to say anything definitive, but it's looking like Ruan Mei and Hanabi are going to be excellent buffers, and Black Swan will probably be a great damage over time unit. Waiting for Dan Heng IL to come back is also an option, but rerun banners are happening at half the speed that characters are releasing, so it could be a long time till they all get reruns.

Could've sworn I've seen 50/100 pulls as pity caps somewhere... Maybe I got it confused with some other numbers, there was a lot of information to digest when I was reading up on all the different mechanics. 

Yeah, I'm gonna save and maybe go for Huo Huo if I manage to get enough Stellar Jades, which is unlikely. I have Bailu for healing currently and Natasha that I can level up, so far healing hasn't been a problem, but I'm only lvl46 (the Trailblazer level) so that might change. I definitely need more DPS right now, I've been mostly using MC fire, March, Bailu and Clara, and MC starts to feel like a third wheel. I'm gonna switch MC for Seele once I get some good relics for her (I'm slowly starting to get 5* gear, so I'm becoming a bit picky), and then switch March/Bailu for a dmg increasing character, depending on the enemy I'm facing. 

Still can't get over not getting Jingliu though, I've been using her as a support character from someone on my friends list and she's amazing. Granted, she's lvl80 while my characters are lvl60, but still...

On 11/3/2023 at 7:52 AM, viech54 said:

Thanks, both of you. The gameplay sounds interesting, it's a nice change compared to what I'm playing normally these days, but the gearing. Well, I already had months of not getting any usable artifact (not even great, just usable) in GI, so not sure about Honkai. This is what I dislike most about Genshin and it could be worse in Honkai if I understood this correctly.

If it makes you feel better I’ve still never had even one legitimately good relic drop because I’m super unlucky but I’ve still managed to complete all content to date (all stars Memories of Chaos & all Sim Universe swarm disaster difficulty V etc). Getting an ok main stat imo is all you actually need to clear content, great sub stats are completely unnecessary.

On 11/5/2023 at 12:33 AM, the1andonly654 said:

Please never spend jades on standard banner tickets!! Or on fuel. You get plenty of standard tickets free for ascending characters, completing the free battlepass & doing the simulated universe goals every week. Only ever spend your Jades on special character tickets.

Out of the current roster Jingliu & Blade & Dan Heng IL will be rerun at some point in the near future & they’re imo the best dps in the game to date, so saving for them would be smart.

Clara is great levelled up, Seele is great too & Bronya is THE best buffer in the whole game, tbh possibly the best character fullstop so definitely take the time to level her and give her good gear. Once you get Seele geared up she works really well with Bronya. 

Edited by smudgedhorizon

2 hours ago, the1andonly654 said:

Could've sworn I've seen 50/100 pulls as pity caps somewhere... Maybe I got it confused with some other numbers, there was a lot of information to digest when I was reading up on all the different mechanics. 

Yeah, I'm gonna save and maybe go for Huo Huo if I manage to get enough Stellar Jades, which is unlikely. I have Bailu for healing currently and Natasha that I can level up, so far healing hasn't been a problem, but I'm only lvl46 (the Trailblazer level) so that might change. I definitely need more DPS right now, I've been mostly using MC fire, March, Bailu and Clara, and MC starts to feel like a third wheel. I'm gonna switch MC for Seele once I get some good relics for her (I'm slowly starting to get 5* gear, so I'm becoming a bit picky), and then switch March/Bailu for a dmg increasing character, depending on the enemy I'm facing. 

Still can't get over not getting Jingliu though, I've been using her as a support character from someone on my friends list and she's amazing. Granted, she's lvl80 while my characters are lvl60, but still...

If you already have Bailu & Natasha imo you probably don’t need another healer like HuoHuo right now, if I were you I would be looking at skipping her & saving for a multi target destruction dps like Blade or DHIL.

• Like 1

Dan Heng Imbibator Lunae is insane. Someone on my friend list switched from Jing Yuan to him. At first I was a bit miffed to not have an all enemies aoe anymore, but holy crap the damage difference! He one shots Phantylia at difficulty 3 (well three shots due to the phases).

Edited by Milktastrophe

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

So, I just hit TL 65 and warped to Cloudford to finish the sixth Equilibrium trial. Got through those bosses pretty easily with an F2P level 70 team (Trailblazer, Herta, Yukong, Huohuo). Got the gold trophy for doing that, and then I forgot that that was the last one I needed for the platinum trophy. I still have plenty of Swarm Universe to build teams for and get through. I literally forgot about the Forgotten Hall even though the Pure Fiction event seems just like it. So, I won't be putting Honkai down any time soon.

Just feel like this platinum trophy is... anticlimactic. Is that weird?

On 1/10/2024 at 7:58 PM, Doctor Completion said:

Just feel like this platinum trophy is... anticlimactic. Is that weird?

No I totally felt the same! I think usually when you get the plat in a game you feel like you’ve done basically everything the game has to offer & you’re more than ready to more on to the next game. In Star Rail I got the plat but it almost felt like the game had only just got properly started & there was still so much more left to do & so much more I wanted to do. There also weren’t any hard trophies for getting all stats in Memories of Chaos of completing Swarm on difficulty V or similar.

Congrats on the plat btw! 

On 12/15/2023 at 4:04 PM, Milktastrophe said:

Dr Ratio will be free when 1.6 is released in a couple weeks. This makes me think he won't be too meta but still probably one of the best free characters.

Dr. Ratio is free now.

So he sounds good on paper but might require some big investment to really get good. He shines when the enemy has lots of debuffs, so he's going to want to be paired with Silver Wolf. If you don't have her than Guinafen (E1) or Pela (E4) look to be the next best (or even both), but even with specific eidolons and light cones they can't match the number of debuffs Silver Wolf can apply.

Unless I really like him in the trial (I wasn't impressed in the story mission), I'll probably pass on building him for now. I don't have any good debuffer.

Edited by Milktastrophe
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Milktastrophe said:

Dr. Ratio is free now.

So he sounds good on paper but might require some big investment to really get good. He shines when the enemy has lots of debuffs, so he's going to want to be paired with Silver Wolf. If you don't have her than Guinafen (E1) or Pela (E4) look to be the next best (or even both), but even with specific eidolons and light cones they can't match the number of debuffs Silver Wolf can apply.

Unless I really like him in the trial (I wasn't impressed in the story mission), I'll probably pass on building him for now. I don't have any good debuffer.

I was thinking of replacing Clara with him in my team of Seele, SW, Lynx and Clara. At least depending on whether it's a single target or AOE focused fight, since Clara seems better for AOE. 

I did hit a wall with the materials required for all the upgrading, I got lucky and pulled Ruan Mei on literally my last pull for the banner (lost the 50/50 earlier and got Clara's eidolon) and between Argenti, Ruan Mei, and now Dr. Ratio it seems like it'll take forever to properly level up their lvls/traces and getting them some good gear. Even my current mains have sub par relics for now. 

Feels kind of like I spread myself too thin, investing in different characters too much instead of focusing on just a few of them and I can't beat most of those higher level multi team battles. 

4 hours ago, Milktastrophe said:

Dr. Ratio is free now.

He is really good and probably even on Seele level if I had the right relics and light cone for him. He needs that signature light cone of his since none of the current available hunt light cones even fit him. I'm gonna pass on getting it this time though. Need funds for Sparkle and eventually a Fu Xuan rerun.

I tested him with a Dual DPS team of consisting of Ratio, Topaz (E0S1), Ruan Mei and Gepard. If I had Fu Xuan, I would swap her for Gepard for more Crit Boosts. Topaz that is E1S1 is even better since that will immediately put 3 debuffs on an enemy (man, I think I would go for this on her rerun), Ruan Mei's ultimate also provides a debuff which should be enough to trigger Ratio's FUA most of the time.

13 hours ago, majob said:

I'm assuming this is probably a good banner to just save your jade for since Kafka is nice but not mindblowing and Ratio is free

Yeah it is a good banner to skip unless you are a fan of DoT which will need Kafka as its core member.

I think I experienced the HSR version of pulling Qiqi on a limited banner. Ok, maybe not that bad. I wanted Dr. Ratio's best-in-slot light cone and couldn't get it after 50-some-odd pulls. I'm now out of jade. The plus side is that I got Gepard's best light cone. Still... I almost caught myself dumping some money into the Oneiric Shard what's-its-face premium item. Good thing I snapped out of it. I've got plenty of team-building to do, so Dr. can wait a while.

16 hours ago, Doctor Completion said:

I think I experienced the HSR version of pulling Qiqi on a limited banner. Ok, maybe not that bad. I wanted Dr. Ratio's best-in-slot light cone and couldn't get it after 50-some-odd pulls. I'm now out of jade. The plus side is that I got Gepard's best light cone. Still... I almost caught myself dumping some money into the Oneiric Shard what's-its-face premium item. Good thing I snapped out of it. I've got plenty of team-building to do, so Dr. can wait a while.

Use Simulated Universe 5* f2p LC for Hunt. It's really good for Dr Ratio. You can easily get it S5.

• Like 1

On 1/17/2024 at 2:22 PM, the1andonly654 said:

I was thinking of replacing Clara with him in my team of Seele, SW, Lynx and Clara. At least depending on whether it's a single target or AOE focused fight, since Clara seems better for AOE. 

I did hit a wall with the materials required for all the upgrading, I got lucky and pulled Ruan Mei on literally my last pull for the banner (lost the 50/50 earlier and got Clara's eidolon) and between Argenti, Ruan Mei, and now Dr. Ratio it seems like it'll take forever to properly level up their lvls/traces and getting them some good gear. Even my current mains have sub par relics for now. 

Feels kind of like I spread myself too thin, investing in different characters too much instead of focusing on just a few of them and I can't beat most of those higher level multi team battles. 

Yeah I've been feeling the lack of resources big time since I recently built Himeko (lost Silver Wolf to her), Herta, and Serval for pure fiction. I'm completely out of exp books now. Compared to Genshin, I could never imagine running out of resources there. I think Star Rail has a lot more importance on team building, you can't just dodge your way through any tough fight. I've already got more characters in Star Rail (both pulled and built) in 3 months than 3 years of Genshin. 😅

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

What's going on, nobody playing Star Rail on PS5? If you believe those sensor tower reports this game is raking in boat loads of cash every month (just not as much as Genshin).

New update dropped the other day, anybody planning to pull Acheron? She seems really good, in her trial she can deal 250k damage to three enemies with her ultimate. More than my Jingliu, but Jingliu will get the heavy hits out more frequently, another but the trial characters aren't always built that well so maybe Acheron is the new top DPS.

I'm thinking to pull her. I've got about 350 pulls saved so can get her and her light cone for sure. Though if I'm unlucky I probably won't be able to get Jingliu's light cone on her rerun..

5 hours ago, Milktastrophe said:

What's going on, nobody playing Star Rail on PS5? If you believe those sensor tower reports this game is raking in boat loads of cash every month (just not as much as Genshin).

New update dropped the other day, anybody planning to pull Acheron? She seems really good, in her trial she can deal 250k damage to three enemies with her ultimate. More than my Jingliu, but Jingliu will get the heavy hits out more frequently, another but the trial characters aren't always built that well so maybe Acheron is the new top DPS.

I'm thinking to pull her. I've got about 350 pulls saved so can get her and her light cone for sure. Though if I'm unlucky I probably won't be able to get Jingliu's light cone on her rerun..

I'm mostly on mobile, not so much on the PS5.

I pulled for Acheron since she is a Raiden expy, she is insanely good dude. Honestly, I can really feel the difference in power between my Jingliu (E0S1) who is nicely built versus Acheron (E0S1) with subpar relics. For comparison

Jingliu

spacer.png

Acheron

spacer.png

Jingliu regularly does 6-digit damage with her Enhanced Attack and Ultimate against Ice-weak enemies so it is normal to see that. Acheron on the other hand, does 6-digit damage regardless of the enemy's elemental weakness with her Ultimate. With a correct setup, she can pop her ultimate insanely fast. Heck she even 0 cycled a phase on MoC 11 and MoC 12 when I tested her with a team of Acheron, SW, Pela and Sparkle. Definitely a Top tier DPS on the level of Jingliu and DHIL.

Edited by RavenScythe

23 hours ago, RavenScythe said:

I'm mostly on mobile, not so much on the PS5.

I pulled for Acheron since she is a Raiden expy, she is insanely good dude. Honestly, I can really feel the difference in power between my Jingliu (E0S1) who is nicely built versus Acheron (E0S1) with subpar relics. For comparison

Jingliu

spacer.png

Acheron

spacer.png

Jingliu regularly does 6-digit damage with her Enhanced Attack and Ultimate against Ice-weak enemies so it is normal to see that. Acheron on the other hand, does 6-digit damage regardless of the enemy's elemental weakness with her Ultimate. With a correct setup, she can pop her ultimate insanely fast. Heck she even 0 cycled a phase on MoC 11 and MoC 12 when I tested her with a team of Acheron, SW, Pela and Sparkle. Definitely a Top tier DPS on the level of Jingliu and DHIL.

Well there's why Acheron is outperforming Jingliu, atk% orb instead of ice dmg%. 😉 I'm not one to talk though, I've got quantum set on mine, but in my defense, I just can't get a single good ice set drop whereas every quantum set drop is either double crit+atk% or double crit+spd. This is why I really want her light cone, 10% def reduction on non-quantum enemies just doesn't cut it compared to extra ice dmg% and crit dmg%.

I've decided I'll pull Acheron tonight or tomorrow. I don't prefarm so it'll probably be a few days before I can use her (at least I have a decent enough debuff crit set I can steal from Dr Ratio, not sure any good planar set), but I'll see at that point if I want to pull her light cone too. Depends how unlucky I get, I guess.