Microsoft has bought Activision Blizzard

Rozalia1

Glad to see that Microsoft is continuing to stab Brazil in the back as if Brazil were Julius Caesar himself (albeit the dictator here certainly wouldn't be Brazil).

It's sad, however, that I can only take so much satisfaction in Brazil getting what they deserve for enabling the gluttonous serpent of a soulless megacorporation given all the negative effects of the latter's putsch and attempted monopoly on the gaming industry as a whole. Otherwise, were it not for that, I'd be cackling all the way to the bank. Instead all I can muster is a small chuckle, and a light smile upon my face. What a shame. 😕

Edited by Zephrese
  • Like 2

On 10/27/2023 at 4:17 PM, Rozalia1 said:

I don't know about getting a 75% sale at this point. As stated previously, Redfall has yet to have a single sale when you would imagine it'd certainly have one (heavy at that) by this point. Looking up their smaller stuff you can find some discounts, but they're in the 20% range. If you look at the older stuff they've had some heavier discounts but those games are likely operating under different rules.

I'd say it is all Game Pass related as they want you on the subscription, not buying games, but in this case I wouldn't say that is why, or at least not the only reason. Sony as we know has tried to emulate how Nintendo does things so that Sony's games become respected as evergreen titles in the eyes of gamers. Xbox as is has known and has been spoken about by people who have been around their management team, is obsessed with whatever PlayStation does. So if PlayStation is going to try and move to a evergreen state for their games then Xbox will also because otherwise their games will be seen as lesser.

As for the 'war', it is more of a one sided offensive from Microsoft than anything else. Be it from management or the fans, real or otherwise. This is why these people who enter threads like this and try to chastise people are so tiresome, because they treat it as everything is even and Xbox is being treated unfairly by so many people. Meanwhile:

As said, the same exact thing comes from Microsoft management. We saw it from them in the court cases. They attack Sony endlessly and then cry that they're treated so unfairly.

Welp, MC should remember (and I am not saying this is right, nor trying to incite this kind of thing - just trying to be clear) that pi**ing on gamers is never a good thing to do. There is still more than enough key resellers and other kind of sites that would enable at least a part of the people who would switch to computer to buy the games at a lesser price if not to play them entirely for free ... And I repeat, not trying to say unlawful behaviour should be supported, but as If this is not going to happen anyway ...

I don't think Microsoft needs the poor baby treatment. I mean ... I - a big PlayStation Fan since I grew up with it I still have every console at home (yes also Computer gamer but I play waaaaaay more on my PlayStation) -  was never a friend of all exclusive games. That is why for example have no touch with nintendo games. I mean go for it and launch games exclusively for some time but then share it. Still hoping my PC-only friends will be able to play BloodBorne someday 💔

So for them trying to buy it all up to force a competitor out of the business is not only dumb (for the above-mentioned reasons), but also hits my limit of patience towards them. 

Also I hope they won't start to ruin stuff (not sure how much pressure the game-developing teams will have with them breathing on their neck).

I would laugh if all the devs quit at some point and reunite in some other studio, creating - of course - new titles/brands selling for Sony :')

• Like 2

Update on the third party controllers situation. You can get all of them to work by plugging it into the... Xbox accessibility controller. So in the end the reason that Xbox fans concocted for this was false, as expected. After all, how does this combat cheating if people can just plug their controller into the accessibility controller? Obviously it doesn't. So why even do it?

Look at it this way. If you use an Xbox controller you're obviously paying Microsoft. If you use a licensed third party controller than Microsoft is getting a share of that at least. If you use unlicensed then they don't get anything. Now you have to buy an Xbox accessibility controller (more expensive than a standard controller) to be able to use such unlicensed controllers, meaning Microsoft now gets paid if you're using those too.

9 hours ago, Yiuumii said:

Welp, MC should remember (and I am not saying this is right, nor trying to incite this kind of thing - just trying to be clear) that pi**ing on gamers is never a good thing to do. There is still more than enough key resellers and other kind of sites that would enable at least a part of the people who would switch to computer to buy the games at a lesser price if not to play them entirely for free ... And I repeat, not trying to say unlawful behaviour should be supported, but as If this is not going to happen anyway ...

I don't think Microsoft needs the poor baby treatment. I mean ... I - a big PlayStation Fan since I grew up with it I still have every console at home (yes also Computer gamer but I play waaaaaay more on my PlayStation) -  was never a friend of all exclusive games. That is why for example have no touch with nintendo games. I mean go for it and launch games exclusively for some time but then share it. Still hoping my PC-only friends will be able to play BloodBorne someday 💔

So for them trying to buy it all up to force a competitor out of the business is not only dumb (for the above-mentioned reasons), but also hits my limit of patience towards them. 

Also I hope they won't start to ruin stuff (not sure how much pressure the game-developing teams will have with them breathing on their neck).

I would laugh if all the devs quit at some point and reunite in some other studio, creating - of course - new titles/brands selling for Sony :')

Fun fact that recently came out. Prey by the same studio that made Redfall and released in 2017 before they got bought out by Microsoft? Sold x10 the amount of copies Redfall did in 2023. Yes, a 6 year old game in 2023 sold x10 the amount that their brand new big game did. That is catastrophic levels of failure. Prey if you are unaware is a game that was considered a 'bomb' and yet it is hugely far more successful than Redfall.

Keep in mind that this Redfall failure was with them doing the 'Early access' scam where people paid for premium versions of the game to play it early. A scam that Microsoft as usual when they hit something that is having success they've been botching. With the exception of Starfield, which left a bad taste in a lot of people's mouths, their numbers for this have been getting real poor. Forza famously had massive success with this previously, but the recent one did real poor as people it appears have been wising up. You can't after all trust Microsoft on putting out a quality game so you'd be very foolish to buy a premium version to play the game early. Imagine how the people who did that for Redfall felt.

As for the devs leaving. With the Redfall disaster we learned that 70% of the developers at that studio are gone and replaced (many being temporary contract workers no doubt). Too early to say anything with their latest buyouts, but in the past every studio they've bought has hit into problems so it is likely that for all the talk of being 'happy' (what else are they going to say?) all these studios bleed immediately the moment they're bought out. Which isn't surprising. As we know Nintendo has the absolute best worker retention as working at Nintendo is seen as working at the very best, at a legendary game company, one with endless passion. Sony since the PS3 era has improved greatly and gained a lot of prestige also. Microsoft?

• Like 2

looks like Microsoft is rising game pass prices now.

https://bnn.network/tech/price-surge-in-xbox-game-pass-subscriptions-sparks-outrage-among-turkish-gamers/

https://www.neogaf.com/threads/microsoft-raises-gamepass-price-in-turkey-again.1663020/

In the heart of Istanbul, a storm brews, not of the political or societal kind, but within the vibrant gaming community. The cause? A colossal hike in Xbox Game Pass subscription prices that has left many Turkish gamers reeling. In a dramatic twist, the PC Game Pass subscription has rocketed by an inconceivable 433%, and the Game Pass Ultimate subscription has ascended by 366% within a year. This staggering increase is not merely a financial hurdle; it threatens to sever the lifeline to a universe of digital escapism for countless Turkish gamers.

Edited by fenrir54565
  • Like 1

To be fair with the Turkish store thing, they certainly aren't the only ones who have raised prices there. Sony did it some time back.

The problems are twofold. The first is Microsoft likes to be cute, not just the fans, real or otherwise, but management itself with 'Sony are bad for raising prices while we don't' type comments. The second is the timing of all these raises are coming after the Activision buyout which makes them reek of Microsoft seeing it as the perfect time to start turning the screws. So no, it ain't anywhere close like the Series S price raising in Brazil (and only the S, as the X was unaffected).

As for the Ad business. Apparently they've done it in the past with Starfield and Forza. I imagine they likely planned to do it first with Redfall, but for obvious reasons they decided to delay the rollout of this full screen ad business on start up. The two defences being thrown out is 'who cares, just click on exit and you're done' and '#SonyToo' where they claim that the PS5 defaults to the store page on start up which does the same thing (not seen this myself as it defaults to my last game played). All in all, it ain't surprising. Xbox's dashboard has been full of ads for a long time.

2 hours ago, shadaik said:

Oh god, three more  Bing searches per day!

Wait, you guys actually pay for Gamepass?

People on PlayStation/Nintendo even pay to buy games. Incredible ain't it?

For those unaware at this joke here with Bing. Online a lot of Xbox fans, real or otherwise, love to talk about Microsoft Rewards and how it means they have free Game Pass and such. Note that at the same time they'll argue aggressively that Xbox is making profits and Game Pass is completely sustainable. In their mind all of that promotes Microsoft as hey, Microsoft is literally giving stuff away to you. The problem of course is to, apparently most people, they don't even want what Microsoft has even if given out for free. Not to mention the fact that anyone with any level of wisdom knows that the free stuff is just until they win and then they'll be strangling everyone with glee. They came third and tried the Xbox One stuff. Currently they're doing all these negative moves and they're constantly collapsing. Imagine the horrors Microsoft would unleash if they were actually on top.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Rozalia1 said:

To be fair with the Turkish store thing, they certainly aren't the only ones who have raised prices there. Sony did it some time back.

Sony increased their prices around 600% here for the PS+ Deluxe (Premium not available) subscriptions, and Steam will be removing the Turkish Lira currency in a month, and swap it with USD to catch up with the exchange rate.

For most people in Turkey, with the average wage, video-game industry was becoming more as a luxury status nowadays rather than a hobby and now the effects amplify much more sadly…

It’s turning into real life Veteran CoD campaign in Turkey sadly, and deep down sadness me.

https://www.theverge.com/2023/11/2/23944124/microsoft-xbox-game-pass-ultimate-free-employee-removed

Microsoft going after their own employees now. Not surprised at the revelation that they had this going on and adding 238K Game Pass subscriptions to their count. As I've said many times, Xbox undoubtedly cooks the books massively as otherwise their business could only be massively in the red. You can be sure that the cost for these Game Passes are being paid by some other 'segment' of Microsoft and the money goes into the Xbox balance sheet as 'income'. Hence why Microsoft can never allow people to see the Xbox numbers like Sony/Nintendo do for their own platforms, as these sort of tricks would become visible.

With CoD, Candy Crush, and all that secure it appears that whoever has been paying for all of this has cut it off. According to Microsoft workers Phil Spencer was contacted about it and says he knows nothing about it.

Edited by Rozalia1
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Rozalia1 said:

People on PlayStation/Nintendo even pay to buy games. Incredible ain't it?

To elaborate on what Rozalia1 said:

It's obvious to me MS is trying to push people into Gamepass. The idea here is to bind people into a subscription service, something MS has been pushing heavily in their utility software area with stuff like One Cloud and, most notably, MS Office. Because a subscription is ultimately more expensive in the long run and guarantees a stable income flow, that is beneficial to them. Because the immediate sum paid each month is low, the majority of consumers don't realize how much they are actually paying for their products. People are paying MS a lot of money and don't even know it. It's of no surprise then, that MS tries to run everything this way. Not that PS Plus is any different, MS  just creates way more pressure  by raising immediate prices of products (though Nintendo is up there, seing how they needlessly tied the Virtual Console to an online subscription).

To MS, that is old news - the reason MS never really cracked down on software piracy concerning Windows is that the expanded install base generates them money, anyway.

However, unlike OS and office software, games are not really limited to a few developers creating an industry standard everybody has to use. So, they created additional incentives into their program. One of these is having GamePass access be something you can redeem from reward points for using their search engine Bing. Not enough for an ongoing subscription, but enough to play a few games for a few months each year. This is obviously unsustainable, but has been done by them for a long time now, I think they started it in the last days of the 360. The issue is, MS can't stop promoting Gamepass, because their first-party games are not successful enough to carry the Xbox department.

See, selling consoles is usually unprofitable. It's selling stuff for the console that makes money. First-party and second-party games make far more money than third-party ones. However, MS' own first-party titles do not manage to carry the platform as well as those of Sony and Nintendo do for theirs, so they have to make money somewhere else. Enter subscription services and GaaS! Now, the issue becomes how to make people subscribe. And with a lack of good games, you increase prices instead to make the deal seem better - a common strategy in utility software employed not only by Microsoft, but also companies like Adobe and Corel.

And with all that, MS ended up trying to sell a product they are also giving away for free in large enough quantities, few people need to actually pay for it. And they are struggling to get out of this mess, while incapable of handling a market they don't hold a monopoly in.

• Like 3

@shadaik You said a lot of right things, i don't think anybody doubt that Microsoft want to make Gamepass the only option in the gaming space as Windows OS is the dominant one in the pc and other markets. There are other operating systems of course but Microsoft make Windows the default option.

As Microsoft have stated Windows is the platform and not Xbox so i am very curious what their next move will but i am certain we all have great discussion about that.

I am not worried about Nintendo as they have make a close ecosystem with great IP that they make good use and they have built a dedicated fanbase.

Now S.I.E is the unknown factor as the tried to enter the Gaas market, how that will go who knows? But all the articles and rumours i have see is no good.

On 10/27/2023 at 3:47 AM, Yiuumii said:

Not going to play on XBOX even if they gift me the console because I grew up with Sony

A true gamer will play good games no matter where they are.

Fanboy nonsense from any side is by far the worst part of gaming. No need for it.

Edited by RedDevil757
Censored by a mod again... Those were facts not insults.
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, RedDevil757 said:

Fanboy nonsense from any side is by far the worst part of gaming. No need for it.

Again, you're not as clever as you think you are with that talk. Xbox management itself console wars hard. Their influencers which they 'inexplicably' have more of than Sony/Nintendo were recently found to be generating x10 the toxicity over Spider-Man 2 (acclaimed) than PlayStation people did for Starfield (mixed). Their fans, real or otherwise, are known to be rabid, though many will naturally start crying 'you're console warring' if challenged in an attempt to gaslight.

So again, spare us this nonsense. If you want to chastise someone, go admonish the Xbox people. Not to mention, of all the comments you decide to hit... it was that? That someone said they're sticking with PlayStation because that is what they grew up with and who they trust? As in the number 1 reason given from Xbox fans as to why they're Xbox fans? That got you so mad you were insulting them?

You and @JPtheNeurotic, who once again was complaining about this on their status updates, both need to look in the mirror and realise that the ones being toxic are yourselves. The people here have been restrained and gone after Microsoft for legitimate reasons. You both meanwhile are going after people for daring to have an opinion against Microsoft. Why? So you can feel good about it? Come on now. Treat people with respect, believe me, it'll be a better experience.

• Like 4

31 minutes ago, Rozalia1 said:

You and @JPtheNeurotic, who once again was complaining about this on their status updates

If you’re talking about my most recent one it was actually spurred by xbox fanboys going after Spider-Man 2 . 

but I’m glad you feel the need to watch me and tag me bestie <3

Also I literally posted before you in this thread about Microsoft taking away gamepass perks for their employees cause it’s shitty and I think was worth bringing attention too . 

Ive been critical of Microsoft handling of xbox well long before joining this Forum.   Just as I have with Sony and Nintendo .

15 hours ago, RedDevil757 said:

Who's a fanboy? We don't like seeing a company with monopolistic goals trying to consolidate the industry and refuse to support that. I've seen you defend xbox before around the forum and all I've got to say is you're in the wrong thread if you think you're going to change anyone's mind here. 

Edited by majob
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, majob said:

We don't like seeing a company with monopolistic goals trying to consolidate the industry and refuse to support that

Does that also apply to Embracer who is firing and shutting down studios left and right or Sony having a huge market over anime distribution in tje west by owning funimation and crunchy roll ? 

18 minutes ago, JPtheNeurotic said:

Does that also apply to Embracer who is firing and shutting down studios left and right or Sony having a huge market over anime distribution in tje west by owning funimation and crunchy roll ? 

If you've  read my posts here you'd know I support no monopolies, I even stated Sony's level of control in anime was something no one should want. Embracer bit off more than they could chew which is why they're shutting down studios but what they bought primarily were small studios, like Sony, not big publishers like Microsoft.

Edited by majob
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, majob said:

If you've  read my posts here you'd know I support no monopolies, I even stated Sony's level of control in anime was something no one should want. Embracer bit off more than they could chew which is why they're shutting down studios but what they bought primarily were small studios, like Sony, not big publishers like Microsoft.

Consolidation is bad thogh . Not really on Sonys case imo With the studios they bought but embracer ??? They bought so many Fucking studios and now they’re all paying the price becaaie embracer couldn’t ge their blood money .

If it’s morally wrong to use Microsoft products , where does the line get drawn for others . Why is Sony consolidation of anime distribution in the west morally more ok than Microsoft’s  ventures  in the game industry ? 

this isn’t me suggesting dont bother not support certain things or people ( I’d never touch hogwarts legacy or five night at Freddie’s because of their creators ) but more so looking at the hypocrisy and consistency of it all .

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, JPtheNeurotic said:

Does that also apply to Embracer

Embracer is a group of companies so we cannot make a direct comparison with Sony or Microsoft . Embracer Group is composed as of now with 12 companies both gaming and not gaming related, 12 CEO that takes decisions together and each company makes their decisions for their studios.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, majob said:

Who's a fanboy? We don't like seeing a company with monopolistic goals trying to consolidate the industry and refuse to support that. I've seen you defend xbox before around the forum and all I've got to say is you're in the wrong thread if you think you're going to change anyone's mind here. 

Exclusivity can suck when you're on the wrong side of the deal. I know some people only have the money to choose one platform. Or they just don't want all the crap that comes with having more than one. That's totally fine but to say you wouldn't play one if given to you is just childish fanboy nonsense. These companies don't care about you. Brand loyalty is stupid. A true games will play a good game wherever it is.

I think exclusively is a good thing. It will force Sony to fill the gap with hopefully new amazing games.

Rozalia1 you're on my ignore list so i can't see your comment. Not that I'm interested in the crap you say anyway 🙂

Edited by RedDevil757
  • Haha 1

16 hours ago, JPtheNeurotic said:

If you’re talking about my most recent one it was actually spurred by xbox fanboys going after Spider-Man 2 . 

but I’m glad you feel the need to watch me and tag me bestie <3

Also I literally posted before you in this thread about Microsoft taking away gamepass perks for their employees cause it’s shitty and I think was worth bringing attention too . 

Ive been critical of Microsoft handling of xbox well long before joining this Forum.   Just as I have with Sony and Nintendo .

So if the comment or status update relates to PlayStation you'll be direct and call them out. If it is Xbox you'll drop a link without comment and also be neutral in your status update and just attack 'console wars', which considering your past behaviour will easily be taken as you attacking PlayStation as usual. Why the difference? You are aware nobody who has seen your posting is going to believe you that you meant Spider-Man 2 right?

Nice try. Status updates show up on the right side, which I see and then engage with some of. Hence my comments on random people's status updates at times.

You've made a thread on numerous small events relating to PlayStation. Xbox has done far more stuff and it goes by without comment from you. Heck, here in this very thread which deals with a massive event (the Activision buyout) your response was to mock people worried about it.

5 hours ago, JPtheNeurotic said:

#SonyToo.

5 hours ago, JPtheNeurotic said:

Consolidation is bad thogh . Not really on Sonys case imo With the studios they bought but embracer ??? They bought so many Fucking studios and now they’re all paying the price becaaie embracer couldn’t ge their blood money .

If it’s morally wrong to use Microsoft products , where does the line get drawn for others . Why is Sony consolidation of anime distribution in the west morally more ok than Microsoft’s  ventures  in the game industry ? 

this isn’t me suggesting dont bother not support certain things or people ( I’d never touch hogwarts legacy or five night at Freddie’s because of their creators ) but more so looking at the hypocrisy and consistency of it all .

You just keep beating that drum no matter how times you're told how silly it is. Embracer is a small outfit in the grand scheme of things that has bought many small development teams in a clear effort to package them up to sell to someone, Microsoft being a likely target which was sent off track when Microsoft got tied up in the Activision mess. Them compared to Microsoft buying out the industry is not comparable.

I do wonder why gamers on a gaming forum care more about matters relating to games than something else. Tough one. Your argument here once again is #SonyToo so don't say bad things about poor trillion dollar Microsoft. You do this guff when you see people giving to charity too? I see sir that you're giving money to support the children in X, but surely you are aware that children in Y also need help. Why are you giving to X and not Y? If you're not giving to both then you're just a hypocrite sir and it would be better if you gave to neither, at least that would be consistent.

2 hours ago, RedDevil757 said:

Exclusivity can suck when you're on the wrong side of the deal. I know some people only have the money to choose one platform. Or they just don't want all the crap that comes with having more than one. That's totally fine but to say you wouldn't play one if given to you is just childish fanboy nonsense. These companies don't care about you. Brand loyalty is stupid. A true games will play a good game wherever it is.

I think exclusively is a good thing. It will force Sony to fill the gap with hopefully new amazing games.

Rozalia1 you're on my ignore list so i can't see your comment. Not that I'm interested in the crap you say anyway 🙂

Ah yes, 'True gamers' just consume and show no care about companies aggressively attacking the industry with buyouts. Also there is no difference between companies and they're all equally bad. No. You can clearly see that a company like Nintendo for example has soul, has passion, and cares about gaming. A company like Microsoft meanwhile is soulless, tasteless, and only cares about seeking their next ill-gotten monopoly.

Microsoft buying stuff out is good because it means PlayStation will have to 'step up'. Why is Xbox never expected to 'step up'? Thank you for putting these two Xbox argument into the thread, can't expect JP to do all the work.

Right, after getting destroyed as heavily as you were last time you've reverted to this so you don't have to actually defend whatever nonsense you put out. Which is fine as it means I can deal with you in a single post instead of having to bring you down again and again. Perhaps someone else in the thread can tell you to stop being toxic and insulting of people, but ultimately... there likely isn't much point is there?

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Rozalia1 said:

Right, after getting destroyed as heavily as you were last time

I thought I'd actually read a comment by you as I'm happy to admit when I'm wrong. But my god. Adding you to the ignore list is something that I think everyone should do.

I mean can you not hear yourself? People come on here to chat and talk games. Not every comment should be seen as a battle that must be won at all costs. What you're doing is toxic. I'm depressed enough without someone like you wanting to fight me on every comment and it's not just me. You're doing the same with others. Seriously go outside. Get away from the computer and stop being so aggressive.

I'm not going to read anything else from you. I just don't need that kind of negatively in my life.