Microsoft has bought Activision Blizzard

Rozalia1

1 hour ago, kidson2004 said:

Nope! This is only gonna ramp up even more now. Especially since its very close to the holiday sales. Plus different advertisements, commercials., etc. Plus don't forget the trolls out there on Twitter! This is the victory lap people have been waiting for. I don't like the "console war" thing at all, but its about to get much worse from here. 

Oh well. 

I remember when the deal was announced, and I also remember posting news from the Brazilian regulators in the Xbox thread (IIRC). Both things feel like they happened ages ago now. I guess we will have many reasons to be reminded, including the ones you've mentioned. Not that this kind of deal should be ignored or whatever. I'm just tired :D.

Congratulations to Microsoft, I mean Gaming Vince McMahon for throwing money at their problems thinking that will solve them.

I said this in the other thread that is now locked... I'll say it again here. Whether we like it or not, want it or not, or think it should happen or not, it's more than likely inevitable that Sony/PlayStation will respond to this is some way shape or form.

Maybe not before the end of this year at this point... but definitely in 2024 at some point.

How?

Well here is what I'm going to call... 'Mega's/SelectiveGamer's Official Guesses'. Feel free to post your own if you feel like it/want to I guess. So here we go lol

Mega's/SelectiveGamer's Official Guesses to the Sony/PlayStation Response to the Microsoft/ABK Acquisition: (for clarifications sake... these are not in any specific order)

1. Square Enix

2. Konami

3. From Software (or Kadokawa Corporation who is the primary corporation that owns them)

4. Ubisoft

5. Capcom (more likely than you think. They did come out recently and say they would 'graciously decline' an acquisition from Microsoft... but they didn't say anything about Sony. Did they? I didn't really read fully into this lol so feel free to correct me here)

6. CD Projekt Red (rumors about it for YEARS now)

7. Take Two Interactive (I've seen this name rumored too technically)

I think I'll leave it here. I could probably give more names though.

Edited by SelectiveGamer

On 10/13/2023 at 4:57 PM, Dark_Overlord said:

I've been saying it for years, but I expect a 2nd video games crash, only this time I think it'll be the big publishers that will get destroyed, whereas indie devs will be able to ride it out.

1st only hit the US. We never had one in the UK. The microcomputers ruled all.

8 hours ago, kidson2004 said:

Not trying to, they just did! 

Nope! This is only gonna ramp up even more now. Especially since its very close to the holiday sales. Plus different advertisements, commercials., etc. Plus don't forget the trolls out there on Twitter! This is the victory lap people have been waiting for. I don't like the "console war" thing at all, but its about to get much worse from here. 

ouch, well that is going to really hurt the gaming industry. Here is to a Second Video Game Crash.

• Like 1

On 10/13/2023 at 10:57 AM, Dark_Overlord said:

I've been saying it for years, but I expect a 2nd video games crash, only this time I think it'll be the big publishers that will get destroyed, whereas indie devs will be able to ride it out.

I mean, it definitely seems to be pointing in that direction. 

On 10/13/2023 at 4:12 PM, Black_Zombie1313 said:

I think Microsoft will use WOW subscriptions to boost the game pass subscriptions. They could easily get ride of the WOW subs and say move everyone to Xbox pc game pass and then gain millions of subs bc people will not stop playing WOW. 

I also think Microsoft will close the blizzard store and just have everything on steam and the Xbox/windows store. They already added Diablo 4 to steam, which comes out on the 17th

Unlikely, some of the games on battlenet have battlenet integrated into them so deeply they'd have to completely overhaul them

• Like 1

18 hours ago, SelectiveGamer said:

Capcom (more likely than you think. They did come out recently and say they would 'graciously decline' an acquisition from Microsoft... but they didn't say anything about Sony. Did they? I didn't really read fully into this lol so feel free to correct me here)

The same applies to a lot of other Japanese companies, while Microsoft is indeed interested in getting more Japanese studios, Microsoft is as unpopular as ever in Japan, selling themselves to Microsoft is to make sure they never produce anything successful again, look at the state of Mistwalker, Sakaguchi made Blue Dragan and Lost Odyssey, both great games but ended up ruining the company reception despite having Final Fantasy father as its head.

15 hours ago, CrestfallenAU said:

...Microsoft has an almost-religious fervor for a cloud-based, subscription-based future where everything you do is at the mercy of Microsoft allowing you to continue doing it.

So does Square-Enix, and look at their state now, they lost 2 billion market value, the company had a whole 5 billion and went to 3 in a few years due to a massive stream of bad decisions, and they have no desire to change their views and obsessively searching for the magical cloud future that even Google who had far more money than them failed to reach.

The defences. Microsoft has zero involvement as the deal just closed and these things get done well in advance. Possible certainly but the deal was reportedly done by July and just the detail of who to give the worthless Cloud rights to was in question. Now you might say, well it would have been illegal for Microsoft to talk these matters with Activision... yes, but as we know, especially for someone like Microsoft, such regulations are meaningless. For example, in Pro-Wrestling a Wrestler leaves a company and the next day is on a different company on TV with creative plans all already laid out. You think all of that got sorted within 24 hours? Obviously not, stuff was happening while they were still under contract. There are ways to do these things.

Then you have 'every one else is doing it' (not everyone) and 'Steam recommends this so they're to blame' (these changes are heavily above Steam's price recommendations anyway), where blame is shifted away from the small time trillion dollar company apparently getting bullied into these decisions.

Microsoft is heavily PR focused and would know that doing it now would allow them to blame Activision and not themselves. Though that of course falls apart if you give it any thought. After all, if Microsoft is not behind this then they should have no problem reversing it right? If they don't then Microsoft is ultimately responsible even if it was the previous administration that marked for this change to happen.

As @fenrir54565 says, this fits with the Game Pass operation they got going. If you make buying games 'bad value' than Game Pass becomes 'good value', or as the bots/shills call it 'the best deal in gaming'. Look at a game like Redfall for example. Horribly received so you'd have expected it to have a massive (50-90%) discount by now right? Especially after that update it had. Looking it up it hasn't had a single price cut and is being treated as if it were a Nintendo evergreen. As with everything Xbox, it is all fake.

• Like 4

Strange i didn't expect Microsoft to increase game prices!!! But there are the good guys 😉

I like their new tactic and the relation to Gamespass.

Microsoft: You like it or not you will be forced to subscribe to our service either through price increases or removal of content.

• Like 1

Well then... would you look at that...

https://www.vgchartz.com/article/458754/analyst-claims-sony-is-under-pressure-to-react-to-microsoft-acquiring-activision-blizzard/

*gets I Told You So sign ready for when they do just that*

Again... not saying it should happen, that I want it to happen, or if it's right to happen or not

• Haha 1