Microsoft has bought Activision Blizzard

Rozalia1

Not the first time Microsoft tried this nonsense against Sony. Last time was the ridiculous one that asked for huge amounts of obviously completely irrelevant data. As for why? Simple. Pettiness and anger at the process backfiring on them. Since the moment PlayStation involved itself in the ABK case, we were told that PlayStation was going to rue the day they dared get in the way of Microsoft's buyout. That was the message (an attempt to intimidate) put out by the influencers/media (from Microsoft) down to the Xbox fans (real or otherwise) to spread.

As we know, no such thing happened... to PlayStation. Microsoft meanwhile got hurt badly by discovery. It can feel so long ago now I know, but it should be remembered that before these court cases Microsoft's astroturfing had been quite successful. Not in you know, actually directly selling Xboxs or games, but at least you'd get rubbished for saying Xbox was a failure and for not being fooled by Xbox's obviously fake good guy act. Remember it was said, you don't have to sell anywhere near what others are selling to still be successful (true, though not in the case of a money pit like Xbox) and Xbox existing with their good guy policies is keeping the evil empire of Sony in check.

Today? So many have caught up with the fact that Xbox is an obvious failure. Such failure only begets more failure, as why invest in an obvious loser who likely won't be around much longer, which I'm sure has played a good part in why Xbox's numbers collapsed so badly in 2023. The doors were blown off this matter so heavily that Xbox's own boss was out there looking like he was contemplating suicide, saying that they had no way of winning because good games, buyouts, whatever, none of it was going to allow them to win market share against Sony/Nintendo. If the boss has completely given up on Xbox, why should anyone put any trust in the brand. 

Their good boy image meanwhile has been completely ruined as people saw the disgusting comments and thoughts of Xbox's apparently irremovable brain trust. Microsoft numerous times attacked PlayStation on something and then soon after did it themselves, plus some real special bits of business like making the Xbox Series S as expensive as a PS5 in Brazil. Their prized astroturfering machine has also been heavily damaged by all of this. People are far more aware now that Xbox has little in the way of actual real momentum and that much of it is completely manufactured by their astroturfing. When people become aware of it being used to such a heavy extent it backfires and it becomes hard to trust that anything positive about Xbox is true.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Helyx said:

How do you fine a company that is made out of money though?

I know.. but still

There should be some consequences for that.  If it's not illegal, it probably should be

Edited by Beyondthegrave07
Cleanup
  • Like 2

Nothing has come out since the rumours, so the Microsoft Direct or whatever they call it on the 18th might be when they say something on the matter either way. Perhaps not on the show itself, but afterwards.

That said... there has been some changes I've noticed. We know due to one of them spilling the beans, that Microsoft's network of shills often get told bad news before it hits so they can prepare the fanbase for it. When Microsoft doesn't do that, be it due to not sharing or a leak occurring, the network will be a disorganised mess and go all manner of different directions until Microsoft puts out the accepted narrative and sets them straight. Looking at the shills from when this first came out and now? Back then they were either denying it or stating that such a move would be unacceptable from Microsoft. Now? We're hearing that it makes sense considering how Microsoft's gaming business looks (ignore them previously claiming Microsoft was doing fine), that it is only a good thing for more gamers to play more games, and of course... that the age of the exclusive is over. Microsoft is simply ahead of everybody else as usual and that even PlayStation is going to be putting their games on other consoles soon enough. PlayStation being 'unsustainable' being one of the narratives some of them have got going, because 'attack the enemy where you yourself are weak'. People say Xbox is a money pit, so claim that PlayStation is a money pit. That sort of thing.

I don't like to say that anything is 100%, because as we saw with Bethesda, last minute changes can always occur even it was going to happen. However, the network operating how I've described does imply that it is going to happen.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

That's really awful. The article also mentions how Unity, Amazon/Twitch, and Riot have all had significant layoffs as well. It must be a hard time to be working in the industry; if you're successful enough your company/studio will get gobbled up by the mothership and you'll be at risk to lose your job in order to meet some standard of growth.  

• Like 3

Made a thread for this story as it is worth attention separate from this thread. For those of us against the deal none of this comes as a surprise. The shills and/or media said otherwise; that good guy Microsoft was going to save ABK from the evil Kotick and due to their infinite money and Game Pass they weren't going to downsize studios, but those liars know better than that. For anyone actually taken in by their lies though, there you go. If you simply don't keep up with things, can't work them out, or simply aren't sure – then a good rule to follow is to go against whatever narrative the pro-Microsoft shills are putting out. A safe bet on being on the right side of things.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

There has been a number of updates that have been happening recently and I'll outline those I can recall and the most recent.

Activision takeover of Blizzard: A woman called Johanna Faries has been shifted from Activision to the top position at Blizzard. Reportedly this sort of control over Blizzard from Activision people was something they've been very against, and Microsoft just did it because they don't care about any such concerns. Now some have pointed out that the new boss is not adequately qualified. She is also a 'diverse' woman so there is talk of her being a 'diversity hire'. What I will say on this is... it doesn't matter. Microsoft putting suits in these positions is normal. If it had been a white man then it would have been the same story. An unqualified suit.

E-Sports cut: Johanna Faries was actually involved here and... they just got cut hard reportedly. They weren't part of the initial 1900+ cuts because they were at the time doing an event, but the moment that was done for Microsoft ruthlessly cut them. I believe the report is they're done to a mere 12 people, a skeleton crew. Considering this is Microsoft saying that the E-Sports division is a complete failure logically... why would you promote the person who was heading it? Again, this is Microsoft. Being rewarded for failure is a proud tradition as you can see throughout Xbox.

Microsoft finally reported a number for Xbox: They reported that due to 900 million costs involving the Activison deal that Xbox is -400 million for the last quarter. Obviously they've set it up for people to look at it as if Xbox will normally be +500 million, but due to a 1 time cost they're -400 million. CoD launched in that quarter so it isn't a normal quarter.

CoD misses out on the top spot: As we know, CoD getting the top spot in most sold game is normal. Microsoft picks up Activision, releases CoD, and they miss out on the top spot (Hogwarts got it). Now considering the timeframe is this really on Microsoft? Largely not in regards to the work put into the game, though it is thought that the reason the recent CoD, which was a DLC, was upgraded to a full game was because Microsoft bought them out and they wanted to get the next game under the Sony marketing deal out of the way as soon as possible. However much Microsoft is to blame, it isn't a great look to have CoD slip up the moment you get it under your control.

It is being said that Sarah Bond will talk on the matter of exclusivity (bringing games to PlayStation and Nintendo) going forward: In Spring apparently. For Microsoft the logic is likely that it gives them plenty of time to prepare what is left of their abused fanbase to suck it up and accept what is said. Cool, the problem is that gives plenty of time for the negativity to build if Microsoft's machine can't get it under control. Also, what a coward Phil Spencer is. For all this time we've had Spencer front and centre talking to everybody. This man was willing to go on small podcasts to get praised by nobodies, but now that Xbox has to make what will be a massive negative announcement for them... he is missing? So he is going to put this poor woman out there to suffer the wrath of their fanbase. Pathetic. I don't think it'll work either because I've already seen some Xbox fans call for his to be fired. Xbox fans are the most easily fooled out there certainly, but I think even they can work out that Sarah is not to blame on any of this. Phil Spencer is the person to blame.

What does Xbox going third party mean?: It is yet unclear what is going to happen. Will Xbox go third party and shutter Xbox the console? Possible, but I agree with the Xbox defenders that such a thing is likely to not be what happens. Instead they will likely try to continue with the console while porting their games to PlayStation/Nintendo. Will the games be only the small ones or whatever? Possible, but as these things go, if they do that then the money men will eventually force the rest. If the games don't do well then the money men will say that they're simply not the correct sort of games, so port the rest. If the games do well then the money men will say great, port the rest so we can make even more money. Now I have seen some on team green put forward that all of this is genius as Xbox doing these ports will just mean more money and it will have no effect on Xbox console sales. After all they'll still have the greatest exclusive of all... game pass. Completely delusional. The likely result is that Xbox sales will completely collapse and once that happens so will game pass.

• Like 4

It seems we will have some announcements from Microsoft side as the list of rumours is increased. Now i don't think the explanation is different other than due to the economic cost of Activision-Blizzard deal and the stagnation of new Gamepass subscribers but we will see.

https://www.videogameschronicle.com/news/microsoft-is-reportedly-considering-bringing-gears-of-war-to-playstation/

https://xboxera.com/2024/02/04/exclusive-microsoft-plans-starfield-launch-for-playstation-5/

I expected MS to be completely harmless even after the ABK acquisition, but this is even better than I expected. I'll gladly take Forza Horizon, Forza Motorsport, HiFi Rush and the Arkane and Id games from this new third party course. Gotta be some fun platinums in there.

Edited by Valtekken173